Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Mystery Prize posted:

"Only 4%" is really lovely when you consider how much more life Marauder/Scion/Templar/Duelist get access to on the left side of the tree.

There currently isn't a compelling reason to start on the right side of the tree when you can only get like 135% life as opposed to like, 180% (without taking the Scion life wheel, which was my complaint)

Look at the class distribution for Darkshrine, both SC and HC. Top 100 spots are all dominated by Marauder/Scion, with like 80% showing between the two of them

Well you said it was multiple but it was just those 3 nodes. Secondly the reason for the class distribution is cause they're all cyclone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vanguard Warden
Apr 5, 2009

I am holding a live frag grenade.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Going to start a new melee character in the next league. Whats a fun build to aim for?

Melee Splash is getting buffed, so most things linked to that should be interesting. Dominating Blow, Glacial Hammer, Infernal Blow and Viper Strike stand out.

I'm going to try a staff-based Cast on Crit Blade Vortex character, until it turns out to be terrible.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

AegisP posted:

You can end up with a 190% life starting Ranger if you take literally every right side Shadow & Ranger % life node (excluding Melding which is the ES/life hybrid wheel), and then pathing into Duelist to pickup Golem's Blood and Bravery.

Shadow's at a slight disadvantage compared to Ranger as they don't immediately have 17% max life within the first 5 points.

What level character did you end up with? I just threw together a cyclone Marauder that ends up at 186% life at level 73. No Scion life wheel, and I took basically every good damage node a cycloner would take.

At level 80 and most of the Scion life wheel he's at 230%.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Can Melee Splash support Molten Strike? The actual attack is single target stop I could see it maybe working, but it also has an aoe effect so it probably doesn't.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

Mystery Prize posted:

What level character did you end up with? I just threw together a cyclone Marauder that ends up at 186% life at level 73. No Scion life wheel, and I took basically every good damage node a cycloner would take.

At level 80 and most of the Scion life wheel he's at 230%.

111 points, so 90. But I'm going Crit Dagger Reave and all of the Dagger and Crit nodes on the right are conveniently located near all of the life nodes.

I tried a Scion version, but it ends up with less damage and I'm comfortable enough in the 190-200% range.

Edit: I can't count quest passives very well.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Dec 8, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

regulargonzalez posted:

Can Melee Splash support Molten Strike? The actual attack is single target stop I could see it maybe working, but it also has an aoe effect so it probably doesn't.

Infernal Strike is cooler anyway

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes, it works. Molten Strike has an initial single target component and a separate projectile aoe component, so the first bit gets affected by melee splash.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

If you want to start as a Ranger/Witch/Shadow and be life-based you're basically forced to take the Scion life wheel.

Bullshit. If you ask IoT, he will tell you Im the most life-horny player in our guild. Im going to play a melee ranger on hc. I will not take the scion life wheel.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
It's worse if you're shadow and can't shlep over to duelist as easily

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.

TheRat posted:

Bullshit. If you ask IoT, he will tell you Im the most life-horny player in our guild. Im going to play a melee ranger on hc. I will not take the scion life wheel.

armour/US/IR/block build?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

ronya posted:

armour/US/IR/block build?

dw crit dagger reave. EV/Phase acro/6k+ life

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
that's a lot of life without the Scion wheel. Do you path into Marauder?

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

No. I dont go west of duelist at all. Here's my work-in-progress tree (needs updated offline calc). I cant make up my mind about the shadow-area, because of the clusterfuck that is the new nodes there. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. One option I'm considering is dropping the damage nodes below shadow crit for frenzy charges. I could also try to work in weapon artistry/aspect of the lynx.

E: This isnt something I've come up with myself btw. I came across this and tried to update it to 2.1.

nearly killed em!
Aug 5, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

Yes but don't do it. The initial hit is a non-factor in Molten Strike damage. You'll do as much damage if you hit the floor.

Importantly, you don't need 200% life to survive. Not even as a hardcore melee evasion character. I promise.

nearly killed em! fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Dec 8, 2015

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

TheRat posted:

No. I dont go west of duelist at all. Here's my work-in-progress tree (needs updated offline calc). I cant make up my mind about the shadow-area, because of the clusterfuck that is the new nodes there. Other than that I'm pretty happy with it. One option I'm considering is dropping the damage nodes below shadow crit for frenzy charges. I could also try to work in weapon artistry/aspect of the lynx.

E: This isnt something I've come up with myself btw. I came across this and tried to update it to 2.1.
I should rephrase and say that it is possible, but quite a lot less efficient. Your character at level 93-96 (depending upon act 2 skillpoints vs other benefits) has 193% life and 154% evasion, vs the random level 80 cyclone marauder I just threw together that ends up with 210% life and 186% armor with 13 less points spent.

This isn't to showcase that cyclone is overpowered (because it is, at least until the patch notes show up), but more to show that it's significantly easier to build a tanky dude over on the left side of the tree.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

bakka bakka posted:

Yes but don't do it. The initial hit is a non-factor in Molten Strike damage. You'll do as much damage if you hit the floor.
Yes, as the big Molten Strike fan here, the projectiles are the reason to use it. With Iron Grip and Point Blank, each of the three balls will do 90% of the damage of the melee swing. With a level 1 GMP and level 7 Concentrated Effect, you'll have seven balls doing ~85% damage. And Molten Strike still shotguns, so you can melt down single targets incredibly quickly. It's also really good with life/mana on hit. The only annoying thing is that bonuses to melee damage don't apply to the projectiles, so Melee Physical Damage does nothing for them. (On the other hand, Physical Projectile Attack Damage gives them more damage, but doesn't decrease your attack speed, because Molten Strike isn't a projectile attack. )

I'm planning on running my 2H Molten Strike Duelist in the Talisman league, currently looking at this tree (requires offline viewer). The Duelist and Marauder trees are almost entirely unchanged layout-wise, the only change being the Vitality Void/Spirit Void merge. Those nodes actually look really good, as they apply to all attack damage and thus aren't 40% efficient with Molten Strike like the phys leech nodes. I still took Lust for Carnage for the leech rate and +4 life on hit, but that might not be necessary. At this point, I'm just debating whether I should go up to Templar for the third endurance charge as I do here, or if I should go for the Scion life wheel and Berserking. Also, I was initially dead set on running Blasphemy with Poacher's Mark, but with the improved leech nodes, I'm wondering if Warlord's Mark might not work better. I'll be running Blood Rage anyway, and I always find sustaining endurance charges really annoying.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Mystery Prize posted:

I should rephrase and say that it is possible, but quite a lot less efficient. Your character at level 93-96 (depending upon act 2 skillpoints vs other benefits) has 193% life and 154% evasion, vs the random level 80 cyclone marauder I just threw together that ends up with 210% life and 186% armor with 13 less points spent.

This isn't to showcase that cyclone is overpowered (because it is, at least until the patch notes show up), but more to show that it's significantly easier to build a tanky dude over on the left side of the tree.

Yeah, its kinda a bummer, but there are still a lot of good options with every starting class, just less tanky on the right side of the tree.

Also, you a brave man rat, going melee acro. I wouldn't do that in sc.

Oh, also, apperantly, one of the darkshrine things may have put in the guildmaster's "Guild Tag" slot, so if our glorious leader has a chance, check to see if anything is there.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

funmanguy posted:

It's really not bad, the hard part is only that you'll have less HP/HP regen. It was really good back when acro didn't gently caress with your block chance.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

Count Uvula posted:

It's really not bad, the hard part is only that you'll have less HP/HP regen. It was really good back when acro didn't gently caress with your block chance.

It's more to do with evasion/dodge not reducing the very rare hits that you take, so getting one shot is a bigger concern than with using armor/block. At least in my experience.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Reave isn't exactly the most melee of skills.

If you can keep Vaal Reave stacks up, you screen clear.

Edit: Incidentally, that's almost a carbon-copy of what my plan is, except I'm taking Force Shaper up in Shadow for that added chaos.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 8, 2015

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I think I'm about set on Contagion/Essence Drain Scion. https://poeurl.com/ta6 then paste into the offline planner. Two Blasphemy curses, Vulnerability and Enfeeble/Temp Chains and then Clarity as the only aura. Fire Golem for more damage, Fortify + Blades for movement. I have enough life regen to run Bloodrage so I can get frenzy charges. 177% life is just OK for HC, but 6 jewels is really good. Bandits are Life, skill point, Frenzy Charge.

I think these are the links I want? Not sure if Echo should be in there or not. Concentrated Effect would also be a contender for another more damage modifier.
Contagion + Void Manipulation + Increased AOE + Controlled Destruction (5th + Rapid Decay) (6th + Increased Duration/Empower)

Drain is a projectile but I don't think you want to lower the debuff damage with LMP or GMP, so more duration and two damage boosters. No AOE tag on the gem unfortunately.
Essence Drain + Increased Duration + Void Manipulation + Controlled Destruction

edit - I'm dumb, only have space for a cull totem or a CWDT setup not both.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Dec 8, 2015

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mystery Prize posted:

It also does a buttload more damage over a LOT larger aoe

funmanguy posted:

With 6k+ hp and fortify in the main attack link, it'll be entirely fine. Until I fight that loving dog again.

TheRat fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 8, 2015

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?

TheRat posted:

With 6k+ hp and fortify in the main attack link, it'll be entirely fine. Until I fight that loving dog again.

I figured out a fool-proof strat to village ruin bosses.

Divine Shrine.

Let me know how it goes.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Just have 150k+ DPS as melee acro like my guy in tempest. :)

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...igAnimeCleavage

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Surely that should say "Sponsored by Rodent" somewhere? :colbert:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TheRat posted:

Surely that should say "Sponsored by Rodent" somewhere? :colbert:

I didn't link the char you pked tho?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

Fine, we'll post them [Talisman Patch Notes] within an hour.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

Edit: poo poo, they're already out.

AegisP fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 9, 2015

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

2.1.0 notes.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008

quote:

Incinerate is no longer affected by Spell Echo, as was intended in 2.0.0. Incinerate now only adds 50% more damage for each stage, down from 100% more damage. Incinerate's damage has been increased by 15% at level 1 and reduced by approximately 8% at level 20.

Jesus, stop GGG. It's already dead.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

quote:

Spark damage has been increased in damage by 10%, and starts at 4 projectiles, increasing by an additional one at levels 9, 17 and 25.

:getin: So many tempting build choices...

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.
I saw someone buying a Pacifism the other day in the trade channel, and now there's the divination card. Is there a recipe we don't know about?

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Magma Orb got a few interesting buffs:

quote:

Various skills have had their damage effectiveness values increased...Magma Orb (from 80% to 125%)

quote:

The following spells have had their damage increased by around 20% higher at level 20...Magma Orb

quote:

Magma Orb, in addition to its damage buff, gains an additional chain at level 10, and another at level 21.

125% damage effectiveness intrigues me.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
Wow, viper strike is super strong now. And Spectral Throw is back to being really good.

quote:

A short instance-wide cooldown has been added to many monster skills. Monsters with "bursty" skills have had this cooldown applied to reduce player deaths from fast, hard-to-predict damage. This includes skills such as Leap Slam, Flicker Strike, Shield Charge, Lightning Warp and Arctic Breath. Most of the affected skills are appropriate as initiation skills, but are not ideal when many monsters perform them simultaneously.
YES!

quote:

Zana's limited-portal missions have been changed. Upon speaking to Zana, the quest tracker on the right says "Don't die or leave Zana's Map". This reminder will stay with you inside the map. Zana will now open one portal per player in the area OR per player in your party, whichever is greater. If you leave Zana's map, you cannot re-enter it, even if there are still portals up. If you die or leave Zana's map, you fail the mission. Entering map subareas doesn't count as leaving the mission.
Booooo.

quote:

Ice Nova damage has been increased by 20% at level one, improving to a 35% increase in damage by level 20.
Shock Nova damage has been increased by 20% at level one, improving to a 35% increase in damage by level 20.
Werent these pretty strong already?

quote:

Spark damage has been increased in damage by 10%, and starts at 4 projectiles, increasing by an additional one at levels 9, 17 and 25.
I don't know if this is good enough. Spork is probably still dead though. :(

quote:

Vaal Ground Slam now requires 50% more souls per use, and can only store three uses. The area of effect radius bonus has been reduced from 30% to 20%.
Not surprising.

quote:

Attack skills that have their damage based on the wielded weapon have their mana costs fixed in place from level 1 onwards. Increasing the level of the gem does not increase the mana cost of the skill. Dominating Blow still increases in mana cost, as the mana is also paying for the minions.
That is quite a change. Elemental hit might be good now with Melee Splash.

quote:

Fixed various problems where armour pieces visibly clipped on Templars.
A THOUSAND TIMES YES!

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 9, 2015

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Bugsy posted:

I don't know if this is good enough. Spork is probably still dead though. :(

It's literally more than double the damage potential compared to pre-patch. It's gonna clear packs like a motherfucker, not so much bosses though.

nightwisher
Dec 24, 2004
Man, ice/shock nova got some huge buffs, coupled with auified curses they're going to rock.

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014
Is the buff to spec throw enough to make it viable? I got banans when they were on sale last and I haven't played that build...

I figure the style is flexible enough to throw whatever talisman challenge throws at us, but I don't wanna totally gimp my first character...

That being said, I think my first main will be a support so I can just leech other peoples maps when I actually have time to play so :P

I know mathil showed it was viable with INSANE gear in darkshrine, but...I don't want to rely on a 6 t2+ mod weapon dropping...

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Don't forget that Spark got a 76% damage boost last patch. I've been playing it in standard with this build that has way too little life:
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...O9Q7-v56PrS_go=

It clears pretty fast and you die instantly to elemental reflect if you have all your power charges up.

The other huge buff to Spark a couple minor patches ago was that the projectiles no longer fizzle if you are standing on a pebble. If you tried it a while ago and found it really random in effectiveness, that bug might have been why.

Pretty sure someone better than me can make a decent Spark build after this patch.

AegisP
Oct 5, 2008
Keep in mind, Spectral Throw and all of the other starting skills are getting Threshold Jewels this patch to augment whatever buffs they're getting.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
I was loving around on my old sporker from Onslaught the other day and still didn't seem as good as it used to be. Level 72 in merciless docks spark + fork + fast cast + totem + light pen, level 17 gems. Granted my jewels are loving awful, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MannersPlease
Aug 13, 2014

AegisP posted:

Keep in mind, Spectral Throw and all of the other starting skills are getting Threshold Jewels this patch to augment whatever buffs they're getting.

I'm a bit confused about that jewel honestly. It seems like it's really underwhelming vs single target - 16% damage for a jewel slot. for packs it's nice I suppose though...I suppose you could always jewel swap like you gem swap for specific encounters...

• Locked thread