Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alain Post posted:

"Why is the babyface fighting for five minutes alone in the ring to beat up poor, defenseless Jim Cornette? What is going ON??"

Jim Cornette wasn't 50 years old and also a non-combatant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alain Post posted:

Jon Stewart gave John Cena a chairshot that cost him the WWE title.

Babyfaces (especially company mascot John Cena) are supposed to be the better man. At the very least, "if someone you barely know takes something from you, beat the hell out of them" isn't a very good message for kids.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You can be badass and cool and show how serious you are about winning the title in ways that aren't using your finisher against a defenseless 50 year old man who's several feet shorter than you.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
You're right, Stewart should've cupped his hands and yelled at John from gorilla.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I think it was really cute to have Jon Steward be the voice of the smarks actually.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Remember when Kane had a feud over spilled coffee?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
The dynamic of a manager versus a celebrity guest host is so different there's no real comparison.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
John Cena isn't just "a face" don't be dense.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Roman Reigns Creepypasta

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Wrestlers are not actors and it's been proven and time tested over and over again throughout the years that they work best when they're not scripted, this isn't some sort of doublethink conspiracy.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

triplexpac posted:

I think it's more complex than that.

Some wrestlers are terrible with no script. Handing them a great script would help them a lot. Unfortunately no one worth a drat would want to write for WWE, or if they do they get ran off immediately.

In an ideal world they would write for the guys who need it and let the guys who can go do their own thing. But WWE is far from an ideal world.

Has there ever been a wrestler with top-notch promo delivery that had it scripted out though? Most of the examples of great wrestlers (and hell, great promos in general) people give out are ones that were either completely ad-libbed or just used bullet points.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
It's pretty easy if you're forced to do it consistently year after year.

e: and also if you're PG-WWE.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Keg posted:

If WWE wasn't PG right now it would be the exact same product but with swear words.

That's why I said WWE-PG, not just PG. The issue isn't the rating but the specific content they're going for. If they don't want blood and nasty-looking chairshots and barbed wire everywhere that's fine, that's acceptable, but they shouldn't also run PPVs like "tables ladders and chairs" and "extreme rules" every year if the only difference between them and something like battleground is really dumb stips. It's 2015 and they're still trying to market to a hardcore fanbase that the product just doesn't appeal to and they really need to stop.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Hace posted:

The other problem is oh poo poo we have 12 events a year and we need to have the cheapest gimmicks possible fuuuuuuck

At least it gives us the textual irony of running an event called "Tables, Ladders and Chairs" while their roster is low on top-tier talent due to injury, even though in reality TLC isn't that much more dangerous than any other PPV.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Abroham Lincoln posted:

The lovely toy piano gets me every time.

It sounds like the theme to my least favourite Left 4 Dead 2 campaign.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Sami Zayn

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I really wish discussion wouldn't split between the GDT and the previous RAW thread every PPV, it makes the discussion incredibly hard to follow.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Nah it's your typical Montreal Screwjob/Ric Flair retirement/D-Generation X/The Kliq talk that's been gone over a bunch.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Fiveace Attorney posted:

I have no idea who they're going to put against Sheamus for the next four weeks assuming a) Cena isn't back yet and b) Roman is "fired"/not feuding with him

Barrett wasn't around for the run-in so face turn imminent!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Luke Harper is like twice the wrestler Bray is, Charlotte was a good heel in NXT, Owens cuts really good promos and wrestles like a man his weight shouldn't, Ascension were monsters with the NXT tag titles until the debuted on the main roster and made into horrible Road Warrior knockoffs and Sheamus looks stupid (clap clap clapclapclap).

• Locked thread