Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

* http://shop.wwe.com/The-Dudley-Boyz-%22Straight-out-of-Dudleyville%22-Authentic-T-Shirt/W10693,default,pd.html3

* League of Nations promo inDEArupted by Wyatts. And then the Dudleys come out with Dreamer AND RHYNO. And then Reigns comes out with Ambrose and Usos. This leads to a 4v4v4v4 team elimination match because Russo was bound to be back eventually. A massive match that goes through 3 commercial breaks. Dreamer DDTs Rowan and eliminates the Wyatts first because :lol:. Sheamus brokicks Bubba Dudley and eliminates Team Extreme. Reigns pins Sheamus, eliminating League of Nations and getting the win for Roman Reigns and Company (all team names actually used on-air. Seriously. Couldn't make up something like Roman Reigns and Company if you tried)

* DO YOU LIKE ROMAN REIGNS YET

* HE LOOKED STRONG AMIDST 9 OTHER PEOPLE LAST WEEK, HE DID THE SAME AMIDST 15 OTHER PEOPLE THIS WEEK WHY DON'T YOU LIKE HIM YET HE'S SO STRONG

* Some dumb Sheamus promo, something about taint. Followed by: Some dumb Stardust promo, interrupted by Titus who makes fun of him :swoon:

* Owens papa powerbombs Dolph, wins clean. No running away :woop:

* Naomi and Sasha defeat Brie and Alicia via the She Calls That The Rear View. Team BAD and New Day celebrate together complete with twerking and new lightup unicorn horns available now at WWEShop.com

* Lucha Dragons defeat New Day after distraction caused by Usos beating up Xavier. FACES

* MizTV with Ric, Charlotte and Paige. Paige slaps Ric, who tells Charlotte git er. Brawl, Paige flees

* Ryback/Rusev goes to double countout, Rusev and Lana make out

* Jack Swagger submits Stardust, foils a postmatch chair attack by Del Rio, and chases him and Zeb away. Del Rio yells at poor Zeb backstage :smith:

* Some dumb Adam Rose segment. Thanks a lot Rad Ox :smith:

* Strongman Strowman defeats Dreamer. Tommy Dreamer technically main evented a Raw in 2015, and 2 teams successfully exchanged win to start and end the night of matches :woop:

* @davemeltzerWON 43s44 seconds ago
This could be a really low rated third hour, huh,

* Go-home promo before the PPV: STORY TIME WITH UNCLE REIGNS. Sufferin' succotash, I don't know how he's gonna pull off a win against Sheamus Sunday. He hasn't pulled it off since 2.5 hours ago! Seriously, go watch this full segment on Youtube or somewhere. It is hard to describe how they continue to gently caress up Reigns so bad by having him talk forever and how they still don't get it. It must be seen to be believed. Magic beans has nothing on the last full month. THEY BRAWL HOLY poo poo. Reigns clowns Sheamus again, spearing him through a table. BUT CAN HE WIN SUNDAY

Tweak posted:

9-9 football game looks pretty ok right about now

MagicCube posted:

When's TNA on? I need a palette cleanser after this.

Pariah Rex posted:

This may be the worst television of all time.

DudeDeuce posted:

Never thought I'd pray for a John Cena return.

Another Person posted:

pissing myself laughing at whatever the gently caress this is supposed to be

Zyla posted:

so this is what it is like to feel moments from death, begging for release

good to know

Erebus posted:

John Cena I officially apologize for all the times I wanted you off the TV

Fat Lowtax posted:

They should have honestly ended the show with Dreamer/Strowman I

That DICK! posted:

Seriously why is no one else lmaoing at the fact that the dude inadvertently gets a chant over and gets so excited about it that he instantly ruins it by blundering an ad lib

ijii posted:

WWE continues to be baffled why ratings keep going down.

Eltoasto posted:

I promise i'll buy the ppv if you end this. please

Zyla posted:

PLEASE END

ECW tag in honor of THE RETURNING RHYNO

TLC is this weekend! Matches:
Sheamus defending the WWEWHC title against Reigns in TLC
Owens defending IC title against Ambrose
New Day defending the tag titles in a ladder match against Usos and Lucha Dragons
Charlotte defending the Divas title against Paige
ECW Originals (Dudleys, Rhyno and Dreamer) vs Wyatts in elimination tables match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

There is better writing featured in half-century-old Looney Tunes cartoons than anything provided in that last hour

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Until Vince is literally dead and we still get promos like that last one I will not believe said promos don't have Vince's stink all over them. Like seriously even before HHH "took over", Cena had the same "voice" in his promos. It's the same writing, and you have to be half dead to not notice it. It's how Vince scripts his top faces, period.

Also yes, the tater tots thing was stupid but hey it got over, and the spear was good, so if the segment as a whole was tightened up in every way it would've been fine. The problem was that it dragged. And dragged. And dragged.

Just because a thing gets over doesn't mean it's good

See Daniel Bryan, YES, and the beard

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MotU posted:

i miss batista

Same, but I also love that he knew he was better than this poo poo and got the gently caress out while he could

It's why I'll always love Shane just taking all his money out and getting the gently caress out of dodge, including exiting the country

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

How many times do we have to have this (rather stupid) discussion? HHH being a mark for himself is indisputable and bad, but is nowhere near as bad as a lot of Vince's issues. It's a pick your poison type scenario. Also HHH promos>Vince-scripted Reigns and Cena and everything else promos.

The #1 difference between Vince and HHH is that HHH, by most accounts, trusts people to do their own jobs.

The big problem is when people suggest HHH is fixing everything

Nothing's gonna get fixed. People will still be mistreated, writing will still be horrible, just because a different guy will be in charge won't mean 3 hours magically doesn't feel as drawn out, he'll still give himself a big onscreen role. The big problems will still be there, the not-so-big problems (who loves Reigns? HHH. who loves Sheamus? HHH) will still be there, and NXT and WWE will remain two completely separate things (he even pointed that out himself because one's viewed by a niche audience, the other by mainstream)

Just because it won't be as major poo poo doesn't mean it'll suddenly not be poo poo. Don't call anybody the savior here because this isn't a fairytale, there isn't going to be a completely happy ending. TNA will still be around and WWE's major problems will be untouched

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

So what is the card for TLC?

Wyatts vs ECW: Table Elimination Match
Charlotte vs Paige : Divas Championship Match
ADR vs Swagger: Chairs Match (assumed)
Owens vs Ambrose: Intercontinental Title Match
New Day vs Usos vs Lucha Dragons: Ladder Match for Tag Titles
Roman vs Sheamus: TLC Match for WWE WHC

Am I missing anything? It'll probably be another good card with bad writing.

Basically

Where's the stairs match

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

GrimGypsy posted:

Remember how for like 30 seconds when the Wyatts first appeared, the crowd began to legitimately lose their poo poo and everyone thought something crazy and unexpected and interesting was unfolding?

Also, did anyone notice the significant amount of empty seats in the crowd during that last segment? I'm not sure if it's people not coming in the first place or people leaving early, but either way seems kinda bad.

I can't blame anyone for not staying for 3 hours

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Needs More Ditka posted:

i'd like to thank Dolph Ziggler and the ensuing commercial break for being so unbelievably boring that I fell asleep and didn't wake up until ten minutes ago and was spared of everything you guys are talking about.

I'm sorry you missed out on the greatest bad closing WWE segment of 2015

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I like that they finally have Jon Moxley and Kevin Steen in a nationally-televised title feud and the best 26+ writers could come up with in the go-home show to hype the PPV match was "have the nonfat one interrupt by eating popcorn"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Someone once said "If you make your opponent out as nothing, and then you beat him, what have you achieved? Nothing."

Suddenly Bray brushing off all his losses as nothing makes sense.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Two horrible live promos from Roman Reigns and I bet he'll still keep getting pushed.

"Four ropes," and Cesaro goes nowhere...

3 horrible live promos from Reigns. Sufferin succotash, magic beans, and tater tots

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

CobiWann posted:

Weird post, so please bear with me.

I’ve been watching a lot of old school 1970’s era Doctor Who lately. Right now I’m going through the stories that are considered to be the show’s “Golden Age” in the mid 70’s with Tom Baker as the Fourth Doctor. The producer/showrunner at the time was a man named Philip Hinchcliffe, who helped put together a run of stories that still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. The behind-the-scenes features on the DVD’s are fascinating to me as they talk about how the episodes came together, how the script was written, how the crew did the sets, and so on. Even though the special effects were dodgy and there was a good number of “man in a rubber suit” aliens, a lot of these stories still pop up on “Best Of” lists even today. What really struck me was this line from Hinchcliffe.

THIS is where I think the WWE is screwing up right now. The writers (and Vince, and maybe HHH) are so concerned with telling a good WWE story that they’re failing to tell a good story period. To them, the WWE is the brand, and right now Roman Reigns is the face (or face-in-waiting). So everything that the WWE is focused on producing right now is done with the sole goal of getting Reigns over and telling HIS story, aka the WWE’s story. It’s “Roman Reigns and Company.” It’s Dean Ambrose, “Roman Reigns’ buddy.” It’s the Usos, “Roman Reigns’ cousins.” It’s “how do we make Reigns look strong.” It’s not “how to we tell a good Roman Reigns story” because those stories would involve Reigns looking weak, or Reigns looking like he can’t pull it off. When Reigns can’t pull it off, it’s because of outside forces like Sheamus. And even when Sheamus is actually looking pretty good and surrounds himself with a group of like-minded villains…the story isn’t about “can Reigns overcome the villains to get to Sheamus?” It’s “can Reigns beat Sheamus?” Except he has, per last night’s opening and closing segments on RAW.

The WWE is so concerned with telling one story that they’re neglecting the others. They have a good staff of wrestlers on hand. You have amazing talents like Adrian Neville and Kevin Owens. The Miz might not be the best in-ring performer but he can douchebag it up like no one’s business. Name me a better smack talker in the WWE than Wade Barrett. Name me someone who is more scary and intimidating than Luke Harper. The crowd WANTS Antonio Cesaro to swing people, they want Sasha Banks to walk all over the Divas division. The only thing the WWE is doing correctly right now is the New Day and that’s because they’re just letting them run with the ball and do whatever they want. And they have a good crew. The production crew who put together the videos and montages are some of the best in the business, and if you toned down Kevin Dunn’s camera direction there are some amazing shots and moments that get put on screen.

But that’s not the story the WWE wants to tell. They want to talk about Roman Reigns. And if someone else looks to be getting over, they’re either 50/50’d into parity or take the pinfall loss in multi-man matches so, hey, Roman still looks good. Hell, Roman Reigns is a great rear end-kicker. Just let him punch people, look intimidating, and smug it up a bit for the camera. We don’t need “tater tots” or “magic beans.”

The GDT last night talked about “what the hell do we watch this show?” For me, it’s out of habit and it’s background noise while I do something else. But with all the pieces the WWE has, there HAS to be something good about to happen. The WWE has to luck into something good soon and I’m just dumb enough to hope that they’ll actually do something with it instead of fighting the tide the entire time. It’s statistically harder to be this bad for this long than to NOT accidentally do something amazing.

I just wanted to say I read all of this, like your post and agree completely :unsmith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Barring something else amazing between now and the end of Raw, I found next week's title

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Also yeah, people were leaving before the main event

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Raw in Philly next week

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

:laffo:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Howling Man posted:

describe raw from last night with a bad christmas song so i know what i missed

Do They Know It's Reigns' Time?

altpost Vince gazing at different images of Reigns, singing All I Want For Christmas Is You in perfect Mariah voice

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Strawberry Panda posted:

At least Christmas Smackdown should be fun.

TLC should be fun for hilarity purposes

Like can the Wyatts overcome the odds and beat a different set of old people

Will they finally let Reigns have a title reign that lasts more than minutes

And if they don't, how much of the 6 or so weeks will people spend convincing themselves the company won't have Reigns win the Rumble again

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

"this form of art known simply as pro wrestling"

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

March 22 is the start of Snuka's murder trial

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Hell, they could do everything right and it still might not stop wrestling in general from being this weird niche interest that only appeals to a tiny amount of people.

It already is. Even the people most optimistic about the company and the Network acknowledge that they aren't getting much higher buys ever than they currently have. Everybody who wanted on that ship already got on, and at best they don't drive any of them away. Because statistically: once they're gone, they don't come back

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Chromatic posted:

Fair enough but I'm talking about it becoming the 2015 equivalent of polka music.

Again, isn't it already?

You'd feel embarrassed publicly saying you like polka. Wouldn't you say you feel the same way publicly saying you currently like WWE?

It's not like they haven't given you reason to. You can now buy a light up unicorn horn for your forehead, and simultaneously wear that and the classic Bryan beard hat

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

StarkRavingMad posted:

The unicorn horns apparently sold out in under 5 hours

Popular things can be embarrassing

There are a lot of Browns fans who wear their jerseys in public. Doesn't mean the shame isn't there

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Delsaber posted:

2.5 is the kind of number that kills most sci-fi/fantasy shows. Luckily this is wrestling, so it's more like anime.

I had such hope for Helix too :smith:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

No we're loving not.

No see we're a hivemind and Xeno's the only Just poster who knows The Truth because

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

abraham linksys posted:

New Day will actually not get stale for at least another year or two with this gimmick, imho

maybe they don't need 20 minutes of promo time every Raw (though it's better than any offered alternative) but it's fine, don't panic and continue to watch all of their youtube clips every week instead of Raw

The New Day Show featuring their buddies Team BAD, only on USA

The breakup's gonna suck but it's a decent time away, regardless of if fans get sick of them due to oversaturation or not. And they're funny enough that them running out of material won't happen for a while

That said, that breakup is seriously going to be awful. I wouldn't be surprised if that was the end of all 3 of them in-ring. Kofi's already said he's done when it's over

I hope Xavier is the next guy to get big in movies after leaving WWE

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oatgan posted:

Its not that I want less New Day I just wish literally anything else was as good as New Day

Most of the roster simply doesn't have the personality for it

Reminder that a volcano gave half the roster opportunity to kill time with unscripted promos to pump the crowd up, and the best any of them could come up with was Ryback sharing his love of The Secret to the world and Cesaro miscounting ropes. Between that, Cody's biggest success coming from an impromptu promo describing the plot of Kingdom Hearts, and Dolph being worse at comedy than he was at his contributions to the Rusev/Lana/Summer angle, yeah, you aren't going to get much more things like New Day for a while from this roster unless they poach charismatic guys like Nakamura

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hell, that's probably the only thing that stands a chance of restoring any actual interest in them

It'd probably lead to them winning more too

At least have Harper do something

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Hace posted:

There's no point in bringing anyone up from nxt because they won't actually do anything with them

I want Bayley called up to see the last hope people have die immediately. After that, yeah keep everyone in NXT

Claytor posted:

This is important. In the last couple of weeks they've been releasing guys from their contracts who are already on the roster and able to work. You'd think someone like Brad Maddox would have gotten TV time just to serve as a warm body in a six man tag.

Nah. Crowe asked for his release, and Maddox called fans cocky pricks in a dark match promo

Hyun. posted:

Wait. This happened? Is there a video?

I don't have a date for the first promo, sometime in June or July 2014, but he said in interviews the start of the Cosmic Key running theme was because they gave him promo time but had nothing for him to actually say, so they told him to just wing it and he spouted some bullshit about a key. Backstage they loved it, thought it cool and mysterious, and told him to keep going with it

He was literally just describing part of the plot of Kingdom Hearts.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Apollo is the only one I see not getting hosed up for a while on the main roster

I was going to add Balor, but this week showed they have a new Irish insult to use, so yeah he's hosed

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Wasn't Ambrose's comfort zone for most of his career hitting people with light tubes and stuff?

CZW? Yes

C
Z

W

At least it didn't have the Wall, like JAPW

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

also :rip: bryan

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I want Reigns to cry

after winning the world title

for the second time

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

If you don't want comeuppance for being an idiot, don't show up the next night after being an idiot

This is honestly the stupidest thing I've seen a person defend since I saw someone say they were surprised Bryan changed nothing from his last injury and got hurt again within 2 months after returning

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Fat Lowtax posted:

If they brought K-Fed back in 2015 he'd still get heat. Miss that dude.

Cena may have kicked his rear end by the end of the night, but to this day he's the only one to have a 1-0 match record against Cena :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

Roman was barely pushed for like, half the summer, taking a back seat to Lesnar, Taker, Sting, and Seth Rollins. The Lex Express poo poo back in the day put the "Roman Reigns is being shoved down our throats" poo poo to shame.

Plus Luger was teased to get the belt and screwed over and over again. WWF and WCW. '93, '94, '95, '96. Won it in '97 and then lost it 5 days later :lol:

You don't want to see Reigns become the new Luger. You think this poo poo drags now, wait until 4 years from now when it's still dragging

• Locked thread