Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

FactsAreUseless posted:

If you ignore everything that makes a game different from another game, it's just like that other game.

it's bad if gameplay is REALLY important to you is what I mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

program666
Aug 22, 2013

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The op needs to come back and tell us how Total Extreme Wrestling is before I get rowdy.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Why is this thread 4 pages. Ban the op.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why is this thread 4 pages. Ban the op.

It turned into a Ys thread.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

program666 posted:

it's bad if gameplay is REALLY important to you is what I mean
It has solid gameplay, even if it's a little frantic. The weapon choices are nice and it's cool to see an ARPG with real shielding and dodging.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I thought Bastion was insanely slow and I didn't feel like waiting another 30 minutes or whatever through stupid story and narrator crap to see it get faster if it indeed did.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
its just dull overall

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Hell, I'm the impatient gamer. There it is folks. Don't make your action RPGs that drat slow.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
how about instead of making 10 different lovely weapons and 8 different difficulty switches, you make 1 good game?

program666
Aug 22, 2013

It has been a long time but I think the two main things that turned me off (besides being too simplistic overall) was when I realized that the katana was the exact same thing as the other sword, and the levels having all the problems of random generation but not being complex enough to have any of the benefits. Also no enemy variety at all iirc.
It was a really underwhelming experience to me, but I realize that's mostly because I'm so focused in gameplay, the other stuff does close to nothing to me, even when it's actually good like in portal the first

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

I don't think the levels were even random but I also feel like they were as boring as the worst random generation levels I ever seen. lol

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I think they radomize the position of big chunks of the map à la diablo 3 on launch.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

I'm pretty sure it's all predetermined.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I played Bastion on the iPad and it was actually pretty great for an iPad ARPG, defying all expectations, so that makes me a little skeptical about it with actual controls, but who knows, I bought it for 2 bucks for vita so I will try that at some point.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Brear endtion.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think I cried at the end of Bastion, but I might be confusing it with Telltale's The Walking Dead.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm pretty sure it's all predetermined.

so I guess I was thinking about two different levels LOLOL

program666
Aug 22, 2013

I like what they tried to do in bastion, what with the narrator taking cue from the game's action. I'll surely play transistor at some point.

extremely steampunk
Sep 11, 2001

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

The op needs to come back and tell us how Total Extreme Wrestling is before I get rowdy.

The time had passed for rowdiness, at the rate this thread is going we can skip straight to rambunctious

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
didn't read the OP, but RC Pro-Am 1 and 2 are both a great classic

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

play whatever you like video games are cool + good

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!

Michaellaneous posted:

play whatever you like video games are cool + good

Cool and good, trill and winnery

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

program666 posted:

I like what they tried to do in bastion, what with the narrator taking cue from the game's action. I'll surely play transistor at some point.

It's a lot of good ideas bolted on to an extremely simple ARPG game. They should have made the base game as good as the everything else. There are like 3 different enemy types in the whole game lol

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

program666 posted:

Sadly Transistor is inferior to Bastion in basically every way.
Except the hum button that makes your character hum to the soundtrack.

Which is cool as gently caress.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thought the combat in Transistor was at least unique kinda.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In Training posted:

I thought the combat in Transistor was at least unique kinda.

It was unique but...something felt a bit off, to be honest. It wasn't the gently caress hacky slashy meaty combat of bastion.

That doesn't meant it can't do something new but it could have been better.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

how about instead of making 10 different lovely weapons and 8 different difficulty switches, you make 1 good game?

Ohh yeah, I forgot about the difficulty stuff. I think I played on near max difficulty and it made the game much more enjoyable. Not MAX difficulty because the combat isn't fleshed out enough to deal with enemies that move at 5x speed and dmg

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Transistor needed to be about twice as long. By the time you unlock a lot of the really cool combat options the game is over. There's quite a bit of depth if you play it with every Limiter on, though.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I remember the last boss being cool and then thinking it would have been cooler if that was just the midway point and then all the enemies started acting like that

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

In Training posted:

I remember the last boss being cool and then thinking it would have been cooler if that was just the midway point and then all the enemies started acting like that
It's dumb that they only did that once, and right at the very end. The optional challenge rooms on the beach were really cool and showed some of what the battle system could do, I wish they'd spent a little more time adding cool content to the game, which also feels short from a story perspective.

I love Transistor anyway.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The main thing about Transistor for me is that I couldn't stand listening to the sword anymore. His voice grated my ears and he had some dumbass comment to make after every little thing you do. I didn't really dig the game to begin with and he was the thing that pushed me into quitting it after a few levels. And I liked the narrator in Bastion, too.

Jerkops posted:

The time had passed for rowdiness, at the rate this thread is going we can skip straight to rambunctious

I'm tearing my shirt and barking like DMX

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

Wormskull posted:

I thought Bastion was insanely slow and I didn't feel like waiting another 30 minutes or whatever through stupid story and narrator crap to see it get faster if it indeed did.

same

Pewdiepie
Oct 31, 2010

This game is insanely epic for sure.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
I loved transistor. Mostly for the story but the combat was fun too.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I am going through and giving TES a serious go. I have opted for an all canadian pro wrestling club. Good news, we have an F rating in the Maritimes.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

you googled how to take a screenshot for that game and its built into steam

The General
Mar 4, 2007

i do not take screen shots of games ever

edit: I dont really play games, just pretend to.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Why not google something funny like Dude Love's Rancid rear end Pics or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The General
Mar 4, 2007

My computer just had a forced reboot. Usually I have 20 tabs open. It takes take to build up interesting stuff, as I am not really all that interesting.

• Locked thread