Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted

fractalairduct posted:

I think the explanation for the Joker teeth is just that Riddler really hates them so he wants you to destroy as many as possible. No idea why the Arkham Chronicles count, though.

Because he figured out the mystery about it and is counting it as something he knows that Batman doesn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Also Riddler doesn't go out and set the things up himself. One of the 'riddles' is a map for each area that marks all the locations, which suggests what he did was ask a few prisoners to place the trophies and do the invisible paint for the perspective. Meanwhile he thinks up the observational stuff himself and marks them down for reasons I guess. The Arkham stuff I think is just because they're a collectible and they hadn't done the multiple side quests thing yet.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Riddler has figured out the Arkham Chronicles- this is indicated, although not spelled out, in a later game.

Riddler is basically the butt of jokes throughout the entire series, but he's genuinely stupidly, insanely smart and competent- his psychological problems are just every bit as intense.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Discendo Vox posted:

Riddler has figured out the Arkham Chronicles- this is indicated, although not spelled out, in a later game.

Riddler is basically the butt of jokes throughout the entire series, but he's genuinely stupidly, insanely smart and competent- his psychological problems are just every bit as intense.

Riddler basically mocks you for not doing all the side content, then starts getting REALLY WORRIED when you start finishing the side content. It's great.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
My favorite is when he calls you out and asks if you're looking them up on the internet. It happens around 85% or so I think.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

Kurieg posted:

My favorite is when he calls you out and asks if you're looking them up on the internet. It happens around 85% or so I think.

Mine is when he gets you in a death trap negated by some mid-to-late game power up, and gets really pissed that you solved his 'riddle'.

I'm sad he turned into Jigsaw though.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Heads up: this game is $5 on Steam for the holiday sale until Jan. 4.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I didn't bring it up before, but was anyone else bothered by "Hmm, Joker might be up to something. Instead of preparing, though, I'm going to leave pretty much every gadget I have elsewhere."

Didn't he JUST come from apprehending the Joker? Did he take an empty utility belt to make it challenging? Did Alfred forget to pack it? :psyduck:

Also, him having no reaction to Joker basically saying "Yes, I started that fire at Blackgate and moved all of my men here. What could I be planning!?" was jarring. As was the fact that they just brought Joker in conscious to screw with everyone. You'd think they'd, I dunno, sedate Joker or something upon his recapture.

SonicRulez posted:

You can string guys up, throw batarangs at the area around him, do other stuff with later gadgets, and basically do everything short of make the guy piss his pants.

I'm kind of sad we'll never get an Arkham game directed by Hideo Kojima where we get a dramatic cinematic of Batman appearing from the darkness before a lone thug, prompting that guy to immediately empty his bladder all over himself.

Blueberry Pancakes fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Dec 27, 2015

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

I'm kind of sad we'll never get an Arkham game directed by Hideo Kojima where we get a dramatic cinematic of Batman appearing from the darkness before a lone thug, prompting that guy to immediately empty his bladder all over himself.

And then it would turn out that Bane isn't really pumped full of Venom-it's special nanomachines/ vocal chord parasites,because, in Hideo's magical world,those both do absolutely EVERYTHING.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Didn't he JUST come from apprehending the Joker? Did he take an empty utility belt to make it challenging? Did Alfred forget to pack it? :psyduck:

They actually mention this in Arkham City where you start out a few gadgets short of where you were in the first game. Apparently Batman prefers to pack light when possible. I presume it also means Batman has an even wider array of gadgets we never see because they never come up and he doesn't pack them for every mission.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

They do that again in Arkham Knight.

I think he just doesn't want some random thugs picking up a weapon he accidentally drops, or getting knocked out and turning into a small waynetech heavy weapons depository.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Batman has maxed out GMP and an S++ support staff.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Bobbin Threadbare posted:

They actually mention this in Arkham City where you start out a few gadgets short of where you were in the first game. Apparently Batman prefers to pack light when possible. I presume it also means Batman has an even wider array of gadgets we never see because they never come up and he doesn't pack them for every mission.

I can understand he wants to pack light so as not to have too bulky a belt, but bringing only Batarangs seems a bit immersion breaking. I know they have to build the player up as they progress the game, but you think he'd have at least three things on him to start with.

Ah well. It's just a minor gripe anyway.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

To be fair, he did bring something else with him, he just left it in his car.

Oh yeah there was no update because I took Christmas week off. Update on Tuesday though!

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
On the Creeper/Freakazoid thing. I seem to remember one of the guys from the show straight up saying that he used Creeper as test for his Freakazoid design.

I think using Riddler as the side-quest and collectibles guy was a good idea. They could have done a better job of tying it in, but eh.
What got on my nerves was that you HAD to pick up those maps to complete the side-quest, they were a tracked collectible. Then Nigma phones you up to taunt and berate you for picking them up.

I always thought of Nigma as sort of 'comic book smart', when the plot calls for it he can pull answers directly out of his rear end. But every time he 'outwits' someone, it's by straight up cheating, nothing all that clever about it. "I was smart enough to hire some goons with machine guns to kidnap you." Or by 'cleverly' making an obstacle course he thinks is actually impossible.
Or, in the next game playing cups-and-balls with a man's life, but cheating him under another cup while they move. Which you can figure out either the way the designers expected, or by previous experience telling you that he cheats every time, so it's definitely not the 'right' answer...

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

Moto42 posted:

On the Creeper/Freakazoid thing. I seem to remember one of the guys from the show straight up saying that he used Creeper as test for his Freakazoid design.

I think using Riddler as the side-quest and collectibles guy was a good idea. They could have done a better job of tying it in, but eh.
What got on my nerves was that you HAD to pick up those maps to complete the side-quest, they were a tracked collectible. Then Nigma phones you up to taunt and berate you for picking them up.

I always thought of Nigma as sort of 'comic book smart', when the plot calls for it he can pull answers directly out of his rear end. But every time he 'outwits' someone, it's by straight up cheating, nothing all that clever about it. "I was smart enough to hire some goons with machine guns to kidnap you." Or by 'cleverly' making an obstacle course he thinks is actually impossible.
Or, in the next game playing cups-and-balls with a man's life, but cheating him under another cup while they move. Which you can figure out either the way the designers expected, or by previous experience telling you that he cheats every time, so it's definitely not the 'right' answer...

Playing through Arkham Knight now and he's reached the point where it feels like he isn't even trying. There are points where he's just throwing normal enemies at you and declaring it impossible for you to win.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Wow. At that point the dev's should just stop and think about what they're doing.
Yea, maybe I wouldn't have been able to come up with something better and implement it under the time-crunch they were probably in, but a simple rule of "if it's not SOME kind of puzzle, don't have Nigma do it"

And if you really have to shoe-horn some arena fights into it (I thought that was already 90% of the game) then "Villain X is running underground tournaments, the winner get's Venom/Joker Toxin/Stiltman's Legs. Batman drops in to ensure these weapons stay off the streets. Predictable results ensue".

I really wish there were full mod-tools for this game. Can't make a side-quest or story of your own, but you can find nude-mods for every woman in the game.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 28, 2015

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

I actually sort of like The Riddler's storyline throughout these games. He gets less and less stable and more and more extreme in his attempts to prove his superiority over Batman. Hence he stops focussing so much on the riddle/puzzle aspect and instead just wants something, anything he designed to beat Batman in some way. It's also not that far from his usual motivation, he wants to prove he's better than batman and if his normal puzzles don't prove it then perhaps cheating death traps can.

As I recall the Riddler just makes you fight his self-made combat droids, so he's trying to prove he's a better fighter than Batman on a theoretical level. I think it's an okay interpretation, I certainly like this Riddler as an interpretation of his character over the Dark Knight's interpretation of the Joker, who is masterfully acted but not at all what I think of as being the Joker.

Up Circle
Apr 3, 2008
The riddler does not have a storyline across the arkham games. They simply never managed to be consistent in his presentation, because the riddler is an obnoxious afterthought shoehorned into every game in the series because collecting dumb crap is part of the Formula.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

The actual puzzle missions that the riddler gives you in city are basically impossible to complete in any way except cheating. Which is kind of annoying if you do try to out-smart him in real life only to find out that he pulled the ball out of the shell game and put it back somewhere else entirely.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

The shell game crosses the line twice and goes back to being brilliant.
You can puzzle that out without cheating by assuming he's cheating, but I don't think the devs thought that deeply into it.
(Then again, I played this right about the time I was practicing that trick a lot IRL, so...)

You can shoehorn the collectibles into it, each Question Mark has a hint for where to look, and/or getting to it is a puzzle/challenge of some sort. The non-Riddler-planted ones are challenges, hoops he wants you to jump through just to prove you will do as he says, but each one gets him to call you up just to gloat and give you a couple more seconds of signal-tracing on him.

The way they did Nigma in Asylum and City (the only two I've played, being broke sucks) always bothered me. At his base, it's pretty simple concept for a villain, they just don't do it consistently or abandon it entirely.

Moto42 fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Dec 29, 2015

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

Those men touched my car.

Episode 3: Thug, Murderer, and Kindergarten Teacher ... Uncut ... Cut

grandalt
Feb 26, 2013

I didn't fight through two wars to rule
I fought for the future of the world

And the right to have hot tea whenever I wanted
By the way, I remember last video that you said Damion Wanye was dead? Turns out he isn't.

And you fell out of the world, odd.

EricFate
Aug 31, 2001

Crumpets. Glorious Crumpets.

grandalt posted:

By the way, I remember last video that you said Damion Wanye was dead? Turns out he isn't.

He was comic book dead, which wears off between authors/editors. He was also originally killed by an adult clone of himself. Does that make it a suicide?

citybeatnik
Mar 1, 2013

You Are All
WEIRDOS

If I recall correctly, the switch from Gunman to "modern day" Batman happened because they were trying to differentiate between Batman and The Shadow, which was a heavy inspiration.

Occasionally The Shadow makes appearances in the comics as well, which is great, since those old pulp heroes are always awesome. Not sure if Doc Savage has made an appearance though.

White Coke
May 29, 2015
Riddler Challenge difficulty is like an unreliable narrator. If it's too easy then its deliberate so that Riddler can mock Batman for needing something to be so simple. And if the challenge is an uninspired time wasting collectethon that adds nothing to the game it's actually because the Riddler is desperate and just want to kill Batman.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

The DSP discussion made me wonder- is the Arkhamverse Riddler that universe's version of DSP? I mean, he accuses you of cheating all the time,thinks he's God's gift to mankind,etc. I can certainly imagine Riddler LPing something like Phantom Pain and blaming the developers for his incompetence. And generally being a repulsive little shitbag.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

VolticSurge posted:

The DSP discussion made me wonder- is the Arkhamverse Riddler that universe's version of DSP? I mean, he accuses you of cheating all the time,thinks he's God's gift to mankind,etc. I can certainly imagine Riddler LPing something like Phantom Pain and blaming the developers for his incompetence. And generally being a repulsive little shitbag.

You forget that Riddler, repulsive little shitbag as he may be, still has a genius IQ; he just doesn't really show it because it is really difficult to convey that kind of thing when you need players to solve his puzzles. That alone makes it impossible for him to be the Arkhamverse DSP.

Ape Has Killed Ape
Sep 15, 2005

That's what always bothered me about the Riddler in the Arkham games. My favorite aspect of his character is that he's psychologically compelled to leave riddles and clues. He doesn't want to, he can't help it, he's insane. So it drives me batty when writers just have him cheat.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Ape Has Killed Ape posted:

My favorite aspect of his character is that he's psychologically compelled to leave riddles and clues. He doesn't want to, he can't help it, he's insane. So it drives me batty when writers just have him cheat.

Perhaps cheating is part of his treatment? All those death traps are just stages on the road of recovery.

Emissary666
Sep 6, 2010

White Coke posted:

Perhaps cheating is part of his treatment? All those death traps are just stages on the road of recovery.

There is a difference between death traps and cheating. Cheating requires that he breaks whatever "rules" have been set in place, a death trap is just a device he believes he has designed in a manner impossible to escape.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

To be fair there's a couple of times when Batman can just cheat right back. Don't want to deal with the electric floor? Skip it. Don't want to do all the Riddler challenges? Ask Catwoman for some help. Stuff like that. The difference I suppose though, is that Batman gives no shits if he's cheating, as long as he's catching Riddler. Riddler, on the other hand, shouldn't cheat, because that's just admitting failure.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

As I recall the internal logic for Riddler 'cheating' is he does so with the understanding that Batman knows he's cheating. So it becomes who cheats better and is thus the most intelligent. Also I can think of only one point in the games where the Riddler flat out cheats and it's such an obvious thing if you have any knowledge about that sort of puzzle/game that it really isn't that bad. Especially as in this continuity I think Riddler worked at a carnival doing the same sort of game.

This version of the Riddler basically doubles down on the I must be better than Batman thing whilst easing up slightly on the actual must make everything a puzzle bit. Which I think works well, especially as cheating provides him with a neat win/win mentality, either Batman doesn't notice the cheating and thus the Riddler is smarter because he tricked Batman or he does and cheats back and thus the Riddler is smarter because Batman couldn't solve it on his own.

Cheating is another path to success, and it's only cheating if defined as such. Which considering the Riddler never defined any rules on his end makes me think that from his point of view anything that proves he's superior to Batman, even if it's cheating a puzzle, is a success.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
That room with all the TVs is something I completely missed out on in my first playthrough. I went in there the first time, but I never considered revisiting it. As it turns out, and I'm sure we'll see it so I won't spoil any of the dialogue, you're meant to revisit that room several times during the story. In a game full (and I do mean FULL) of Easter Eggs, I thought that was one of the best ones.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Yeah, I had no idea Joker pulled that 'moving when you're not looking' thing on the first visit, that's really cool.

Also- I'm pretty sure it's City- but one of these games Critical Strikes just kinda happen and all I can explain is to just not mash the button? Just aiming at someone and hitting it once seems to be all it takes to get crits from it. I've never played Shadow of Mordor so I can't give any opinion on it though.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

RareAcumen posted:

Also- I'm pretty sure it's City- but one of these games Critical Strikes just kinda happen and all I can explain is to just not mash the button? Just aiming at someone and hitting it once seems to be all it takes to get crits from it. I've never played Shadow of Mordor so I can't give any opinion on it though.

I believe critical strikes happen if you press the attack button once and only once, and you press it to initiate the next attack before the animation for your previous attack is complete. I am pretty sure you also have to be in freeflow combat mode, i.e. having a combo of at least x3.

Shadow of Mordor is pretty great.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, I had no idea Joker pulled that 'moving when you're not looking' thing on the first visit, that's really cool.

It actually happens every time you visit, but I'm not going to show it off every time.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

Mzbundifund posted:

I believe critical strikes happen if you press the attack button once and only once, and you press it to initiate the next attack before the animation for your previous attack is complete. I am pretty sure you also have to be in freeflow combat mode.
I'm not sure that you have to be in freeflow, but this is the trick right here, you just sorta have to get calmly into the rhythm of beating the poo poo out of people.

The 'was almost a rhythm game' thing thing still shows in the combat and is what makes it so good.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

VolticSurge posted:

I was wondering why I wanted to punch Riddler in his face so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
While I was out and about, I came across a Harley Quinn comic in which one of the stories apparently involved her trying to date Bruce Wayne though I did have enough time to read it.

Speaking of the animated series though, there was another tragic villain in it that gets overlooked quite a bit: Mary Louise Dahl. She was an actress who played a sitcom character named Baby-Doll until she left the show to become a serious dramatic actress after being upstaged by a new character on her own show. This went about as badly as you can imagine given that she had a condition that stopped her physical growth after age five meaning that she was an adult woman in a little girl's body. After a failed attempt to revive her show, she faded into obscurity.

Years later, she abducts the former cast of the show to try to relive the make-believe "life" she had as Baby-Doll as well as kill the one who upstaged her in the first place. Batman chases her into a funhouse hall of mirrors inside of which she has a breakdown: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUtLTxBYZHw

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Jan 7, 2016

• Locked thread