Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You're missing V, which is awesome, an also that's a list of every non-MMO FF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Its obviously not a list of every non MMO FF if 5 isnt on it.. -_- Logical fallacy spotted.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also lightning returns is excellent but plays totally different than XIII/XIII-2. More action focused, it was made by tri ace.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

I think all of those games except 12 were stuff you guys put on your 10 best games of all time lists in anticipation of the Gfaqs poll... so Id be stupid not to play them.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

In Training posted:

it was made by tri ace.

whoa i didnt know that. that makes a lot of sense tho.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

I think all of those games except 12 were stuff you guys put on your 10 best games of all time lists in anticipation of the Gfaqs poll... so Id be stupid not to play them.

the zjs version of ffxii is one of my favorite ff's

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

elf help book posted:

i havent yet played lightning returns but i like 13-2 more than 13-1

Same

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Early word is that the game works great and seems like the best of the XIII PC ports. I'm excited

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

net cafe scandal posted:

In case anyone asks my FF playthrough list is all the ones that people generally say are good.. actually I think theyre literally all on the GameFAQS best game ever poll lol.

tactics
X
X-2

5 is good as well .

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
lightning returns is 33 brazilian bucks, that's like less than 10 usd lol

I never liked most mechanics from dragon quest so I never played most ff, but I kind of liked FF XII's combat and even finished crisis core (and I love dissidia and kingdom hearts but that might be not related), do you think I'll like any of the lightning games?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They're focused on Paradigm Shifting which is swapping your parties roles and abilities mid battle on the fly to respond to enemy attacks. They're halfway between ATB system and character action, it's an interesting hybrid. LR goes further in that it's one character and you have 3 sets attached to you, each with 4 slots for attacks, and each set has a set amount of energy. Inactive sets refill energy faster so you swap between your actions to blow enemies up as fast as possible

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

program666 posted:

lightning returns is 33 brazilian bucks, that's like less than 10 usd lol

I never liked most mechanics from dragon quest so I never played most ff, but I kind of liked FF XII's combat and even finished crisis core (and I love dissidia and kingdom hearts but that might be not related), do you think I'll like any of the lightning games?

Probably 25 dilmas on nuuvem. Gonna try it after I make some room on the old backlog.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

net cafe scandal posted:

In case anyone asks my FF playthrough list is all the ones that people generally say are good.. actually I think theyre literally all on the GameFAQS best game ever poll lol.

tactics
X
X-2
4 is not go0d. 5 is good. Da frick.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Uh can i dress loghtning up as a cat, cloud strife, and yuna

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

I hope ff15 has a robust dress up system

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Uh can i dress loghtning up as a cat, cloud strife, and yuna

Yes, yes and yes

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

Oh hells yes

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You can also choose between X and X-2 Yuna, or hell, use both.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

2% of people who own this game on Steam have gotten the plat in just 4 hours. PC gamers are so fail

program666
Aug 22, 2013

In Training posted:

They're focused on Paradigm Shifting which is swapping your parties roles and abilities mid battle on the fly to respond to enemy attacks. They're halfway between ATB system and character action, it's an interesting hybrid. LR goes further in that it's one character and you have 3 sets attached to you, each with 4 slots for attacks, and each set has a set amount of energy. Inactive sets refill energy faster so you swap between your actions to blow enemies up as fast as possible

XII's combat are also somewhere between ATB and action, does this also have gambits or other ways to automate stuff

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

You don't need to automate anything because there is no party, just Lightning.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh in XIII/XIII-2 you control 1 person in a 3 team party and the other 2 just have AI. Pretty smart AI too because they always seem to be doing what you want them to.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Im adding FFV to the list :)

program666
Aug 22, 2013

the XIII games are sounding pretty neat

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

XIII and XIII-2 are built around paradigms, so outside of battle everyone has 3 classes/jobs and you can have up to 6 Paradigms which is like, each character is assigned a job. And you can mix and match all of them and during battle at any point you can swap to a different set of jobs. So you see the big windup from the boss coming and you quickly swap to defense and healing so everybody stays alive, or all the buffs/debuffs are wearing off so you swap to the sapping team, etc. it's a lot of fun

program666
Aug 22, 2013

does the XIII games have hunts like XII? I loved that poo poo.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

FFXIII has 64 hunts.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
lightning returns is real good yo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB6T0MsvAgs

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
i was pleasantly surprised when this game was $20 and not $60. it's the only one in the ff13 trilogy i'm interested in so i'm looking forward to it, just like how toriyama told us to. that's my opinion of this game

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

In Training posted:

Or maybe not barthandelus but that happens to somebody.

It was Cid. The FFXIII trilogy is written as a vehicle to shuttle characters through a series of art assets because by the 4th year of FFXIII's production they had produced 3x more art then they could fit on a disk, but had no idea of how it would play until Square forced them to release a playable demo.

Like, the story of how that game was made is a fascinating trainwreck. It's a shame because the universe itself is an interesting allegory for North/South Korea but they corked up telling a basic story on top of it.

And Crystal Tools holy lol

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Post the story.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.

je1 healthcare posted:

It was Cid. The FFXIII trilogy is written as a vehicle to shuttle characters through a series of art assets because by the 4th year of FFXIII's production they had produced 3x more art then they could fit on a disk, but had no idea of how it would play until Square forced them to release a playable demo.

Like, the story of how that game was made is a fascinating trainwreck. It's a shame because the universe itself is an interesting allegory for North/South Korea but they corked up telling a basic story on top of it.

And Crystal Tools holy lol

Go away.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

The hell of a kind of name is "je1 healthcare"? Never mind, dont answer.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

FactsAreUseless posted:

Post the story.

FFXIII began on the PS2. But Square wanted their future titles to be developed on a proprietary engine of their own, since it was clear that it was become standard practice in the games industry and Japanese companies were notoriously bad about redundantly creating new engines for every AAA-game, a decade after it had gone out of fashion. So the Crystal Tools project began, and was managed by a Square programmer who's biggest contribution to tool creation involved creating a program to allow artists to view Final Fantasy Tactics sprites on television sets.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

je1 healthcare posted:

the story of how that game was made is a fascinating

je1 healthcare posted:

FFXIII began on the PS2. But Square wanted their future titles to be developed on a proprietary engine of their own, since it was clear that it was become standard practice in the games industry and Japanese companies were notoriously bad about redundantly creating new engines for every AAA-game, a decade after it had gone out of fashion. So the Crystal Tools project began, and was managed by a Square programmer who's biggest contribution to tool creation involved creating a program to allow artists to view Final Fantasy Tactics sprites on television sets.
Boy were you wrong.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the only thing you need to know about FFXIII's development is the guy at SquareEnix who spent 5 years redesigning a rock or whatever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

the only thing you need to know about FFXIII's development is the guy at SquareEnix who spent 5 years redesigning a rock or whatever
lmao

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

that was ff15...or is history repeating itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The White Dragon posted:

that was ff15...or is history repeating itself?

I believe it was both. Since both games were in active development for like 7 years

• Locked thread