Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Obdicut posted:

It's kind of cool thinking about the variety, actually. Ancient Egypt: Just a fuckton of waxing and waning over thousands of years, one of the most long-lasting empires of all time, and yet there were times it barely existed, where it looked as though it would vanish. Ghenghis Kahn's empire rose like a flood, and then after his death, split into smaller but still quite stable empires. Rome: a slow local rise, a faster conquering of surrounding lands, a stagnation, a split into West and East with West resurging and falling back over and over, finally basically being absorbed by Germanic kingdoms and transforming them into a much more "Roman" one that lasted a hell of a long time itself, up until the age of gunpowder. The East changing and mutating but hanging on, sometimes basically just Byzantium.

I can't actually think of a single empire that followed a parabolic path.

I wonder if Middle Kingdom Egypt had dudes sitting around going "you know, we really should be trying to wreck our society and everything that sustains us has hard and as fast and as destructively as possible, then the next generation will see where we all went wrong and will build a perfect new kingdom that will never die"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Expand on this and cite your sources.

It's a pretty common theme in current political discourse.

The "all government in is terrible and coercive" shtick of the right, is a the system has no validity assertion.
The there is systematic racism that targets and oppresses people of color disproportionately, is a "the system has no validity assertion."
Many criticism of the financial institutions responsible for the 2008 crash are "the system has no validity assertion(s)"

Now some are bullshit and some pretty much true. But the theme of "the system has no validity", holy hell, variants of that are basically what everybody (but Hillary) is running on.

edit:

Quidam Viator posted:

Out of all this rambling, I wish to draw out a single point: taken rationally, I argue that it is now simply TOO LATE to put cats back in bags, TOO LATE to halt the recursive progression of climate change, and TOO LATE to decelerate the shitshow that is American politics. We are in a downward spiral that is not simply national, but global in scale. My challenge to anyone remains the same: to formulate a counter-argument that is not just a dismissive "Oh, things always get better, and people have been yelling about the end of the world since Cicero!", but to explain in detail how we can reverse the acceleration of politics towards complete separation from the concept of the public good and sane governance. I demand that someone make a believable case for HOW we are going to convince the whole world to reverse the process of climate destruction, to fend off what India and China are going to do as their consumption increases. And most importantly, I demand that you explain how our current systems manage to solve all of these problems WITHIN their own structures, WITHOUT some grand and extremely unpleasant overturning and revolution.

Choose not to despair.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 27, 2016

Quidam Viator
Jan 24, 2001

ask me about how voting Donald Trump was worth 400k and counting dead.

Ddraig posted:

I believe in Accelerationism, not because I believe or even hope that the world will suddenly realize that they've been going wrong all this time, but because I believe the human species as a whole is fundamentally unworthy of continued existence so the sooner we gently caress off and let others have a chance the better off the world, and all its inhabitants who aren't us, will be.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/mar/03/secret-donald-trump-voters-speak-out

quote:

The Occupy protester turned Trump supporter (24, New York)
‘His candidacy is ripping the soul of America apart – we deserve it’

I work in a liberal arts department. I’ve read the works of Karl Marx, Herbert Marcuse, John Stuart Mill, Friedrich Nietzsche, Plato, Judith Butler, Simone de Beauvoir, Michel Foucault and so on. I am more inclined to listen to what Slavoj Žižek or Noam Chomsky have to say about current affairs than Rachel Maddow or Bill O’Reilly. If one were to take account of my demographics, the smart money would be to peg me for a Bernie Sanders supporter.

My interest in politics did not truly develop into an intellectually mature form until 2011, when Occupy Wall Street broke out as a populist leftist grass roots movement to combat the evils of unrestricted robber baron capitalism.

Early in 2014 I began concealing my political opinions from people, and it was shortly after this time that I began plotting to vote Republican in hopes that the party would send the country so far in the direction of complete unrestricted neoliberalism and libertarian free market superstition that Americans would come to recognize the dangers of these ideologies and eventually reject them.

I don’t find conversations about how morally repugnant Trump is to be interesting when the rest of the candidates seem to also support imperialistic and fascist policies concerning drone strikes, torture and mass surveillance.

I don’t agree with discussions of how Trump is making the national dialogue more base and vulgar when Obama has instated common core standards to gear humanities education in public schooling to be teaching children how to read memos, rather than cultivating critical thinking skills that would allow them to understand subtle arguments.

Do I like Trump’s platform? No, I think most of it is silly and misguided, but at least it is not the same bullshit casserole that has been on the menu in Washington DC for as long as I have been alive.

His candidacy is a happy accident that is currently ripping the soul of America apart, which is something that I think we desperately need (and deserve) at this time in our history, for better or for worse. I support whatever strange gods happen to be behind his candidacy, for, as Martin Heidegger proclaimed in his famous Der Speigel interview, although for slightly different reasons, “Only a God can save us.”

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

The number of middle class, white privileged Bernie Bro supporters, threatening to not vote if their golden God isn't nominated, is terrifying.

Accelerationism has become mainstream and we might be staring down the barrel of another conservative regression as a result.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

The number of middle class, white privileged Bernie Bro supporters, threatening to not vote if their golden God isn't nominated, is terrifying.

Accelerationism has become mainstream and we might be staring down the barrel of another conservative regression as a result.

I don't think there are enough of these naval gazers to make a significant impact on the election. There may well enough people who are closetedly racist enough to take Trump's promise of maintaining the social safety net for Us at face value and pull the lever.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Soon you could have your God - you can make it with your own hands.

If enough individuals were socially conscious on the 'Values And Lifestyles' index we could have a good faith society - the ecumenical holding company. But I fear there has been a conspiracy to mold less such people - not more.

Maoist Pussy
Feb 12, 2014

by Lowtax
I'm accelerating toward the Golden Future, OP. I can't wait to stride The Wall, amongst the clouds.

Xmas Dumpster Fire
May 29, 2001

Famethrowa posted:

dont sweat it too much, they're the kind of 18-34s that wouldn't have voted anyway

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Xmas Dumpster Fire posted:

dont sweat it too much, they're the kind of 18-34s that wouldn't have voted anyway

I'll have to double check the demographics, but it was those 18-34's who constituted a decent chunk of Obama's support. I doubt they will go for Cruz/Trump, but Trump at least has hugely energized a base in a way we haven't seen since Obama's run. The same base that was pretty tepid about McCain and Romney due to their establishment "RINO" bonafides.

We need all the votes we can get on the progressive side, and to see the most progressive demographic get stupidly idealistic, with so much at stake, is really worrying.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe

Famethrowa posted:

I'll have to double check the demographics, but it was those 18-34's who constituted a decent chunk of Obama's support. I doubt they will go for Cruz/Trump, but Trump at least has hugely energized a base in a way we haven't seen since Obama's run. The same base that was pretty tepid about McCain and Romney due to their establishment "RINO" bonafides.

We need all the votes we can get on the progressive side, and to see the most progressive demographic get stupidly idealistic, with so much at stake, is really worrying.

I wouldn't be too worried.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
Here's (another reason) why accelerationism is dumb: Egypt and Iran. In the former, revolution turned from Hosni Munarak to Muhammad Morsi to Al-Sisi today; in the latter, it turned from the Shah to Ayatollah Khomeini (provided the US shut out the possibility of a secularist like Mossadegh).

Turning the former regime to ash and replacing it with something new does not automatically guarantee something better in its stead and may in fact end up with something that much harder to move away from. The political barometer does not suddenly reset to zero like resetting the mileage counter on a car; it can just shift to a position that's even harder to work to a better state from, if even at all. You have to start from where you are now and do the hard, grinding toil of making it better every step of the way and clawing every scrap of progress and not give up your ground instead of resigning yourself to waiting for complete overthrow to start from the ruins of the old order.

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Mar 4, 2016

• Locked thread