Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

so if I'm reading above right, the argument is that because democrats haven't come to ~~bipartisan compromise~~ with the right wing, we should burn everything down, in order to reach a... state of... something?

in other words it's basically just total and complete surrender to the forces of reaction in order to make some kind of point? Is that about right?

Maybe - just maybe - we could try to figure out something where the bad guys don't just win at everything forever.

quote:

Oh, I am heartily tired of hearing about what Lee is going to do. Some of you always seem to think he is suddenly going to turn a double somersault, and land in our rear and on both of our flanks at the same time. Go back to your command, and try to think what we are going to do ourselves, instead of what Lee is going to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Mrit posted:

Accelerationism comes from the same place as small children knocking over the game board because they didn't win.

Edit: I guess with the belief they will get to play Candyland like they wanted to next time

Its more like you are playing a game of Monopoly and you notice two of them are giving eachother tons of slack, bending the rules, playing footsie under the table, taking money from the bank and making the other players play -strictly- by the rules while they slowly drag the game on because their having too much fun while the other players just don't care, txting on the phone about bullshit, or obviously doesn't understand why their losing.

And when you finally get frustrated enough to say something, everyone just goes "Whatever. Man quit your whining. You don't know, just play, stop ruining our fun."

THATS when you flip over the board and say, "gently caress YOU DAD!"

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

SedanChair posted:

There's a hard ceiling to Trump's poll numbers.

*breathes into paper bag* there's a hard ceiling to Trump's poll numbers

So are you going to be the next BoostedC5 "gently caress it, ia ia Trump ftagn"?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SedanChair posted:

looooool

Joementum posted:

@daveweigel: When focus group began, only 10 people said they were 90% or 100% set on backing [Trump]. After an hour of discussing his gaffes, it's 16.

Joementum posted:

@daveweigel: Two voters who came into the focus group having cooled on Trump now say they're more supportive, after 2.5 hours of negative arguments

The more you try to convince people Trump is a horrible human being who should not be allowed to ever become president, the more people who initially agreed with you will begin to love him and become convinced he should

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO TRUMPSHED :unsmigghh:

Rodatose
Jul 8, 2008

corn, corn, corn

ComradeCosmobot posted:

TRUMPSHED
This is where the unpersons go.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Considering the gentleman in question needs to try and appeal to a wider base than just "crazy old people" and "crazy people" I sincerely doubt he is going to get that far post republican primary.

Of course if he runs independent then its going to end up with a split ticket and possibly one of the greatest examples of "You reap what you sow" in the history of political discourse.

Berk Berkly
Apr 9, 2009

by zen death robot

Josef bugman posted:

Considering the gentleman in question needs to try and appeal to a wider base than just "crazy old people" and "crazy people" I sincerely doubt he is going to get that far post republican primary.

Isn't old/retired/seniors and political junkies, like, the people who actually vote? Like 75% of the population doesn't vote at all, so basically appealing to 'crazy old people and crazy people in general' is basically 'appealing to people who actually vote'?

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Berk Berkly posted:

Isn't old/retired/seniors and political junkies, like, the people who actually vote? Like 75% of the population doesn't vote at all, so basically appealing to 'crazy old people and crazy people in general' is basically 'appealing to people who actually vote'?

Also most recent elections have been more about turning out the base rather than convincing an increasingly small "independent" center. Given how well Trump energizes the base (and Hillary doesn't appear to), well... Let's just say I'm certain you'll be sleeping well tonight.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Mrit posted:

Accelerationism comes from the same place as small children knocking over the game board because they didn't win.

Edit: I guess with the belief they will get to play Candyland like they wanted to next time

Accelerationism is bad and dumb, but it somehow manages to be less idiotic than this idea that you (and way too many other people) seem to have that politics is just some team sport. Government policy dictates the society you live in and the opportunities you're given from birth until death to interact with that society. It has more influence over the trajectory of your life than any other factor outside of where and to whom you are born, and even that's arguable since it's politics that determines how strongly those other factors will affect you.

People who get pissed off and want to burn it all down aren't loving sore losers. They're angry because people's entire lives are literally ruined by terrible policies.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The only way I can see Accelerationism being useful is the Middle East. By destroying Daesh with nukes you could get Israel and Iran to realize they need to share nuclear technology. You could also turn people against the MIC and the politics of superstition. This is not going to happen for a number of reasons.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Rodatose posted:

Accelerationism relies on the narcissistic belief that, if things got worse, people who were uninformed of systemic problems would come to see the same objective truth you see, because it's so obvious. When in reality, the perception of systemic problems can be shaped heavily by media, and those who are in power are going to have a better chance of coordinating their media to shape uninformed people's perceptions, and in doing so, convince them to work in ways to reinforce their positions of power.

I believe in Accelerationism, not because I believe or even hope that the world will suddenly realize that they've been going wrong all this time, but because I believe the human species as a whole is fundamentally unworthy of continued existence so the sooner we gently caress off and let others have a chance the better off the world, and all its inhabitants who aren't us, will be.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Woolie Wool posted:

I'm actually making fun of it, but I suppose it should be obvious you're far too up your own rear end to recognize comedy on a comedy internet forum.

P.S. your precious resistance efforts haven't amounted to poo poo, they were either co-opted by the Soviet empire (and dessicated and blew away when the Soviets were no longer there to prop them up), destroyed by the American empire, or degenerated into oligarchic kleptocracy. Capital crushes people like you without even the slightest effort.

You're right, resistance to international ownership will always be faulty when done nation-by-nation, as autarky leads to stagnation. Clearly, what is necessary is a broad, popular front across nations, working to create an international network of mutual support against the predatory behavior of capitalists.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Ddraig posted:

I believe in Accelerationism, not because I believe or even hope that the world will suddenly realize that they've been going wrong all this time, but because I believe the human species as a whole is fundamentally unworthy of continued existence so the sooner we gently caress off and let others have a chance the better off the world, and all its inhabitants who aren't us, will be.

If humanity goes extinct, don't you think it's going to be in a world-ruining rain of nuclear fire? There's no way we get wiped out and leave this place habitable for anything else, short of some sort of mega death virus that only affects us, and even then I'd wager the nukes would be launched before the last of us bit it.

Also your reason for believing in Accelrationism is stupid.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Voting for democrats is triage. You don't say "The patient is in shock, stop treating them"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Rodatose posted:

This is where the unpersons go.

Gold-plated showerheads.

Baudolino
Apr 1, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Will it further your political ideas to help the very worst of your political enemies? Is this really a hard question to answer?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Accelerationism only makes logical sense if you conduct it via direct means of destroying the existing order in its entirety. Supporting your political opponents only allows them to reinforce their power within the system while changing it to their ends.

Voting Bad Guys in an attempt at accelerationism isn't stupid because it hurts X group of people, it's stupid because it literally cannot achieve your alleged goals.

Anyone serious about supporting it needs to get back to their place, at the kiddy table with their mouth shut until called upon.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

quote:

Supreme Court nominees still require the Democrats to have a presence in the senate, and if the GOP controls state governments then they can employ all kinds of dirty tricks to suppress voter turnout. Who knows how far a demographically shrinking Republican party might go in suppressing voter turnout and redistricting the House... especially if white nationalists take on a larger role in the party.

When I said "does it matter" i was being rhetorical. Yes of course it makes a difference who sits in the White House. But my point is that future Democratic presidents will have extremely limited room to maneuvre, and it can't even be taken for granted that Democrats will maintain their lock on the White House if every other major lever of the federal government remains in the hands of the GOP.

Compelling arguments, all. What alternative is there to accelerationism, after every attempt to move the Overton Window left is met with homophobia, Islamophobia, death threats, claims of treason, and just general crankiness, with the reactionaries getting daily infusions of hate? How can the reactionaries be convinced?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

Doomtalker posted:

How can the reactionaries be convinced?

Acquaint their heads with the pavement.

There are two paths forward: Violently reject the system, or work within it.

You are advocating giving up in a manner that allows you to continue stroking your ego, making you a fool and a coward.

slumdoge millionare
Feb 17, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

You are advocating giving up in a manner that allows you to continue stroking your ego, making you a fool and a coward.

Except you're ignoring that it's very obviously impossible to work within it, and that violent revolution will be annihilated by the powers that be via drone, bearcat, machine gun and Spec Ops infiltration. Crazy dudes who drop the word "nuke" beneath a bridge somewhere find themselves being prosecuted for terrorism, thanks to some handholding via the FBI. So, both inside the system and outside the system and equally void options.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Wheeee posted:

Also, many of these reactionaries are obese; the sad truth is, if it came to a riot they would tire quickly.

Bob le Moche
Jul 10, 2011

I AM A HORRIBLE TANKIE MORON
WHO LONGS TO SUCK CHAVISTA COCK !

I SUGGEST YOU IGNORE ANY POSTS MADE BY THIS PERSON ABOUT VENEZUELA, POLITICS, OR ANYTHING ACTUALLY !

(This title paid for by money stolen from PDVSA)

Wheeee posted:

This is the best description of what the concept of "accelerationism" is all about

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

i gotta say, i've never been happier to be a straight white man

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Question for the Marxists here: how exactly is the revolution supposed to work in a globalized/financialized economy?

The poorest states are the least capable of producing for themselves because colonialism and neo-colonialism have forced their economies to specialize in production for Western demands, not for their own consumption. So you seize the means of production and you get a lot of capital assets that are not useful except in the context of global trade (say, Bangladesh having a ridiculous surplus of textile production relative to its own needs.)

Meanwhile the rich states have increasingly become financialized, spending less resources on production and more on managing Western-owned productive capital located in China and in poorer states. So if there’s a revolution in a rich country, what gets seized?

Effectronica posted:

You're right, resistance to international ownership will always be faulty when done nation-by-nation, as autarky leads to stagnation. Clearly, what is necessary is a broad, popular front across nations, working to create an international network of mutual support against the predatory behavior of capitalists.

OK, that's one answer. But how is the working class going to come together globally? Is there even a unified global working class? The conditions of a US service worker, Chinese factory worker, and Congolese miner are completely different, and the American worker reaps benefits (in the form of cheap food and goods) from the exploitation of the non-Western worker.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Saeku posted:

Question for the Marxists here: how exactly is the revolution supposed to work in a globalized/financialized economy?

It isn't, that door has closed.

For now.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

Saeku posted:

OK, that's one answer. But how is the working class going to come together globally? Is there even a unified global working class? The conditions of a US service worker, Chinese factory worker, and Congolese miner are completely different, and the American worker reaps benefits (in the form of cheap food and goods) from the exploitation of the non-Western worker.

Now we need a Maoist-Third Worldist to come in and start a flamewar with the orthodox Marxists.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

SedanChair posted:

100% is a ceiling. :getin:

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"
Name one time accelerationism has worked anywhere.

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

Ddraig posted:

You don't actually believe this because you're alive instead of the alternative. Can't even revolt against yourself, though you're certainly revolting.

Peztopiary fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Dec 11, 2015

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Ddraig posted:

But you're using human judgement, which we know sucks, so why should I listen to you?

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Ddraig posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dEZ0hRlF4

Terebus
Feb 17, 2007

Pillbug
The US deserves a Trump presidency.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Obdicut posted:

Name one time accelerationism has worked anywhere.

The French revolution. :v:

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Ddraig posted:

hey i know it sucks that dad wouldnt let you borrow the car tonight to go to the mudvayne show, but youre gonna get through this.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Muscle Tracer posted:

i gotta say, i've never been happier to be a straight white man

This sentence angers a certain internet-community, be warned sir.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
lol if the extent of your politics is voting in national elections and posting about them on the internet

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Saeku posted:

Classes aren't handed down by the hand of God at Mt. Sinai. We can define "working class" in Marxian terms, as people who make their living by wage and salaried labor under an employer, and suddenly all three of those people are part of a global working class. We can define it broader, and incorporate self-employed people that nevertheless make their living primarily by working under a contracting employer, and catch an even broader group of people. Hell, we can even define "working class" in terms of "makes majority of income by labor as opposed to collection of rents" and get a broad, broad base of people globally, though this might be counterproductive.

As for how to bring this group together, just like any mass movement, you need people doing things to raise consciousness of this shared class identity. You need people talking on an individual level with friends, family, and coworkers. You need propaganda. You need parallel media. You need demonstrations and other events to spread the existence of such a movement. You need a general platform to ensure broad unity. You need an internal group to kick out fascists and nationalists trying to hijack things.

Developing those things will, of course, be difficult. But the basic plan is there for developing mass consciousness of this shared identity.

asdf32
May 15, 2010

I lust for childrens' deaths. Ask me about how I don't care if my kids die.
Or you could classify them by their Chinese calendar animal.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Doomtalker posted:

Compelling arguments, all. What alternative is there to accelerationism, after every attempt to move the Overton Window left is met with homophobia, Islamophobia, death threats, claims of treason, and just general crankiness, with the reactionaries getting daily infusions of hate? How can the reactionaries be convinced?

Politics you silly whiner. And you don't need to convince the reactionaries, you just need to convince enough other people that they are wrong and should be ignored, and lo, progress will happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Effectronica posted:

Classes aren't handed down by the hand of God at Mt. Sinai. We can define "working class" in Marxian terms, as people who make their living by wage and salaried labor under an employer, and suddenly all three of those people are part of a global working class. We can define it broader, and incorporate self-employed people that nevertheless make their living primarily by working under a contracting employer, and catch an even broader group of people. Hell, we can even define "working class" in terms of "makes majority of income by labor as opposed to collection of rents" and get a broad, broad base of people globally, though this might be counterproductive.

As for how to bring this group together, just like any mass movement, you need people doing things to raise consciousness of this shared class identity. You need people talking on an individual level with friends, family, and coworkers. You need propaganda. You need parallel media. You need demonstrations and other events to spread the existence of such a movement. You need a general platform to ensure broad unity. You need an internal group to kick out fascists and nationalists trying to hijack things.

Developing those things will, of course, be difficult. But the basic plan is there for developing mass consciousness of this shared identity.

This group seems so broad that any "shared identity" would depend more on the propaganda than common, immediate interests.

And, at that point, you're constructing an identity from scratch, so you could do it based on pretty much anything. It's not clear that "class" is much easier than national identity, religious solidarity, or even just a common sense of humanity.

Take Jackie Chan, a school district admin, and a guy who owns septic-tank cleaning service.

It's not at all clear that Jackie Chan and the admin should feel the special bond. Sure, they both make money from salary. But, day-to-day, the admin will have a lot more in common with the small-business owner. Those two will be the ones impacted if global warming creates stronger hurricanes.

• Locked thread