Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

McDowell posted:

Nah just marginalizing them feeds their persecution complex. They need to understand that they are stupid and juvenile and should sit down and shut up.

If Trump wins the nomination there are too many Red Team voters for any idenitifiable group inside the team to meanfully realize they are outside the mainstream. Even an embarrassing loss will see 40% of the population voting for him which seems pretty validated to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Kilroy posted:

Nah. 40% is Reagan-Mondale stuff. It's a blowout. They'll be thinking of that map filled with blue states for the rest of their lives, before they head to a poll on Election Day. Or rather before they think about heading to a poll and then find a better use for their time (cf cousins, above). And the fact that they will lose to Hillary loving Clinton will magnify that 100-fold. It's not enough to defeat the Republicans, we need to demoralize their base such that the party has to find a new one, and heal itself. It's no good to have one party in the US even remotely capable of governing.

It is a blow out while 40% of the country agrees with them instead of 51%. Honestly I am not seeing how that will lead to a round of soul searching and coming to the conclusion that they are on the fringe of American society.

The only people doing anything resembling introspection will be traditional mainstream Republicans, and they aren't really the problem.

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

computer parts posted:

Do you believe previous parties did soul searching and concluded they were on the fringe of society? If so, which time period do you believe they realized this, and how much did they lose an election by?

What it sounds like is that you believe real change will only happen when 80+% of the nation voted against a party, but that's basically never happened. So either parties never change, or that's not a prerequisite for change.

Change and coming to the realization that you are considering a loon by the population at large would seem to be very different things. Full Disclosure: I'm not American, so maybe there is something fundamental to the American psyche that makes those equivalent. :iiam:

Let's turn this around: What margin does Trump need to lose the general by that would make a current Trump supporter go "Hmmm, maybe the problem is me"?

My point is that there is no realistically achievable number that will accomplish that, due to the dual problem of who you are talking about and the non-problematic members of Red Team voting. If you think I am wrong, let's see a number instead of inferring baffling rationales for my post.

• Locked thread