Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Wheeee posted:

You are advocating giving up in a manner that allows you to continue stroking your ego, making you a fool and a coward.

Whatever this loving thread was, this post is pretty much the end of it.
Accelerationism makes three very grave assumptions
1) poo poo has to be bad enough that all society will realize there's a problem...
2) ...then it will unite together to stop it...
3) ...and poo poo will still have the chance to be unfucked in a reasonable time frame.

:lol: if you think that people can stop fooling themselves and face reality for 1 to happen. :lol: if you think there's a limit to human greed for 2 to happen. :laffo: if you think that in the EXTREMELY unlikely event 1 and 2 happen we can still make 3 happen.

Lemme ask you this, what makes you think that society as it is right now is not the nadir you're looking for? Is it because we're not sending Bruce Willis into space? Because this is basically what is happening with social issues right now. Why don't you try to do something about issues now rather than building castles in the sky?
And when you inevitable say "it's no use!" Or some variation thereof, how are you not being a whiny little bitch? How is your approach better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Willie Tomg posted:

Accelerationism does not assume this.

Accelerationism does not assume this.

Accelerationism does not require this.

And then in the same breath you say

Willie Tomg posted:

Accelerationism does not mean "actively make things worse, then Full Communism Now, naturally, of course". It assumes only that a capitalistic economic organization trends toward a crisis point where hegemonic order breaks down into its constituent parts, and that meaningful opposition in a contemporary period is futile conflict for conflict's sake that at best destroys lots for no gain. Recognizing those two facts, Accelerationism then proposes that the only way capital-C Capital will be broken down (note: not destroyed) is to allow Capital to run freely to that crisis point and allow history to proceed.

Note that "meaningful opposition in a contemporary period is futile conflict for conflict's sake that at best destroys lots for no gain" is the brave assumption I was talking about in 2 (really, you underestimate people's stubbornness and ability to cling to biases) and "allow history to proceed" makes the assumption that I was talking about in 3. You really, really underestimate how far humanity can take this critical point, and whether the critical point is where we think it is. What if by the time we reach this crisis point it will be too late? Valence effect is a thing you know.

Willie Tomg posted:

It's pessimistic as gently caress and not hugely academic, but since when the gently caress has political academia mattered a second squirt of piss to anything IRL? Besides: it's fun. It's fun to confront leftists with the reality of their loser failure ideology which decisively and utterly and irretrievably lost the Cold War. It's fun to see liberals attempt to quickly improvise as they realize in the moment that for all their veneration of progress as an end in and of itself, they haven't put much thought into what specifically is being progressed toward.

I'm getting the feeling that I will regret this, but can you explain this paragraph please? What do you mean by all this? What are you blaming liberalism for? How is it to blame?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Venomous posted:

Relevant point for this thread in this interview with the Pirate Bay's founder. He argues that the Internet has become too centralised and tied to capital across its existence, and that there's nothing we can do at this point to ensure a free and open Internet. The way to win the war, he says, is to abolish capitalism entirely by letting it run free, which reminded me of this thread.

[snip]

Personally I'd say he's a bit too optimistic about how quickly automation will occur, but I can't know for certain. Interesting though.

Yeah this sounds accelerationist.

Look I like to smashthesystemsmashthestate as much as the next guy, but someone has realize that giving up and letting capitalism run rampant isn't the answer. We're talking about decades of misery for the non-rich, a chaotic period of reform and only a potentially better future.

quote:

There is going to be a lot of fear, lost blood, and lost lives to get to that point, but I think that’s the only positive thing I see, that we are going to have a total system collapse in the future. Hopefully as quick as possible. I would rather be 50 then be like 85 when the system is crashing.

While I sympathize with his frustration, the bolded part is him being really loving naive about how this descent will happen. This isn't something that will happen overnight. This will take decades. It will be long, agonzing and it will suck. Finding solutions during that quagmire to current-day problems will be impossible. Then we will have a collapse of capitalism which will lead to more chaos. And then what would you do? People will be focused on getting stability in the system, not improving it. At that point, they'll sacrifice even more of their freedoms for this stability. I sincerely doubt that people will come together and be rational actors long enough to "do the dew" as that one guy put it.
And forgive me, Mr. Pirate Bay person, but that's the only positive thing that can happen? You can't focus on prepping the next generation for this world or trying to fix the one we have? You of all people have a lot of clout amongst the newer generations, why don't you loving use it for something instead of being a giant pussy?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

VitalSigns posted:

Millionaire web developer supports unfettered capitalism that will condemn the poor to a miserable hell but have little impact on his own standard of living, news at 11.

See I dunno about that. I get the feeling that the guy is coming from being extremely let down by his country during the whole PB debacle. You can call this view misguided, but I don't think he has this opinion because he's Richie Rich.

Willie Tomg posted:

No, my position for the purposes of this specific thread because y'all are gormless limpid fuckers who cannot rebut the apocalypse is that Capitalism has created an edifice that has destroyed base leftist populism. My cite for that is the last 30 years of world history. Let it create further still for only wonders portend. My cite for that is the last century.

terms like "worse" or "better" are gadflies for losers. Que sera sera, and internet posters will comment upon it I'm sure.

so are you like a gimmick or...?

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So QV I was enough of a moron to read your stupid poo poo.

Quidam Viator posted:

I do not need to cite any sources to justify the obvious and invariable observation that all empires and nations follow an essentially parabolic path when it comes to a representation of their fortunes. They begin with some quickening, some movement or personality or idea that unites them and provides impulse and impetus to cause the rise of their fortunes. This impetus has sufficient novelty to propel the culture upward and onward, with a fairly consistent velocity, up to some plateau of stability. There is all sorts of space for cycles within cycles throughout this process, but eventually, the culture loses its coherency, and a kind of deceleration begins.

If I was smart, I'd stop right here. :suicide101:

Dude. Dude. Are you really doing this? Are you really loving doing this?

Quidam Viator posted:

My contention is that most people observe politics, for example, upon the level of either distance or velocity. They ask questions about what's happening right now, assuming that whatever context has existed will CONTINUE to exist, even when the graph is starting to bend. When it comes to questions about the force or importance of ideologies, they take what's happening instantaneously, and unconsciously fit it into a narrative that assumes the stability of the factors they take for granted. For physicists, this means creating a parabolic chart of a perfectly-spherical, massless airplane, in a vacuum, the whole concept of ceteris paribus. For most people politically, right now, it means assuming that the political and economic systems and structures we have known, perhaps for the past few hundred years, will, of course, continue to right themselves and continue chugging merrily on.

Care to explain why it won't? Even as silly and tumultuous as this election year in the US is, everything is proceeding business as usual.

Quidam Viator posted:

However, if we continue to step back, we can look at the entire path of a nation's trajectory, or the trajectory even of entire paradigms of economic systems, like the capitalism/communism divide, and not simply get stuck in some lovely Marxist definition of "acceleration", with its stupid "endpoint of history" certainty that capitalism will fail and that communism will emerge triumphant. Instead, we can see those two ideas as a binary on a single continuum, a continuum that, over Time, is crashing both ideas simultaneously. We are currently, in my opinion, in a very clear deceleration phase of the entire work-based, industrial, wealth- and nation-oriented world system. If I were to think about this from a question of the rates of change of the rates of change of the fortunes of the world, I could find many examples to substantiate my position that we are now in a clear phase where we are accelerating towards a systemic collapse.

Talk about apples to oranges. Except in this case it's baseballs to theoretical 5D constructs. You're gonna have to do much better than "well using this metric I came up with, it matches THAT pretty graph ergo the end of civilization as we know it"

Quidam Viator posted:

What has been disappearing in American politics is, increasingly, the idea that our system has any structural validity whatsoever.

Expand on this and cite your sources.

Quidam Viator posted:

It has come out of balance with itself, and we are no longer in a space where the concept of checks and balances apply.

Explain. By what metric. Name some case studies.

Quidam Viator posted:

In terms of our economy, there is no longer any space for the poor to assert themselves against the rich, and we have undergone SUCH acceleration of this trend that the very idea of striking, or protesting, or imagining a different economic system in America is not even possible.

The internet exists. The Occupy movement did exactly this. One of our democratic candidates is endeavoring to indirectly fix the wealth gap somewhat. Homeless vets are at 50% and falling, with several states eliminating vet homelessness altogether.
Sorry, your idea doesn't fly.

Quidam Viator posted:

I can ask, and HAVE asked every person claiming to be interested in our politics on these forums to provide me with a realistic, believable pattern by which a balance between the rich and poor might be practically reinstated, and all I get in return is deflecting insults, which I must forgive, because the blindingly obvious answer is that this sort of rebalancing is not now even mentally imaginable. On a meta-level, we are not even able to have a coherent thought about how the trend of the increase of velocity of the upward distribution of wealth might be even reduced, let alone stalled, and god forbid REVERSED. Even arguing about slowing this process down is now completely pointless, because it has become recursively applied to itself. The time to slow down the VELOCITY of wealth inequality was in the 80s. After 2008, it became clear that the system had applied itself exponentially to itself, and at that inflection point, we COULD have attempted a vast and very painful DECELERATION of the exponential wealth transfer going on. But now, having failed to think on a high enough level, having wasted years in thought about the distance between fortunes and not their rate of change or the acceleration of their rate, we are now past the point where change is possible.

Get off your high-horse, you're expressing a boilerplate opinion about wealth, especially on these forums. You are soundly mocked not for expressing this opinion, but for drawing conclusions that I have bolded. "Our minds [read: my mind] cannot even THINK of a solution, therefore we are SO FAR past hope that...:beck:" and you let the thought trail off.

Quidam Viator posted:

Out of all this rambling, I wish to draw out a single point: taken rationally, I argue that it is now simply TOO LATE to put cats back in bags, TOO LATE to halt the recursive progression of climate change, and TOO LATE to decelerate the shitshow that is American politics.

For a "single rational point" you sure have exactly zero evidence for it.

Quidam Viator posted:

We are in a downward spiral that is not simply national, but global in scale. My challenge to anyone remains the same: to formulate a counter-argument that is not just a dismissive "Oh, things always get better, and people have been yelling about the end of the world since Cicero!", but to explain in detail how we can reverse the acceleration of politics towards complete separation from the concept of the public good and sane governance. I demand that someone make a believable case for HOW we are going to convince the whole world to reverse the process of climate destruction, to fend off what India and China are going to do as their consumption increases. And most importantly, I demand that you explain how our current systems manage to solve all of these problems WITHIN their own structures, WITHOUT some grand and extremely unpleasant overturning and revolution.

You're asking me to look into a crystal ball and predict the future you want.

Quidam Viator posted:

In my personal life, I am doing what I can to spread my message, to make movements and choices that put into practice what I am preaching. When I talk on here, I speak simply from a position of having observed this discussion space through many of its changes, and hoping that people will snap out of the complacency that causes them to reject what I say and dismissively just watch as the world hurtles ever more quickly into an uncontrolled acceleration towards complete detonation.

And what exactly does this 'practice' consist off? All you're doing here is saying "the world is hosed wake up sheeple"
From where I'm standing, you're no better than those you are accusing of complacency.

• Locked thread