Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

According to Prester John, all the capitalized words are used for concepts invented by the schizophrenic person that cannot really be translated into normal language, either because they're extremely esoteric (like her capital-A Authoritarians) or they just make no sense.

Capitalized words also get used to connote God. Or that an ideal form beyond the word being used is being referred to. But they are also indicative of referencing beyond language, or beyond the symbolic.

Quidam Viator posted:

Time is simply not on our side any more. Time has very much become our enemy. The longer it takes for us to make drastic changes, the more the problem accelerates in severity. I'm not even pretending to have an answer right now: I am simply asking for anyone to dare to refute the position that I am establishing. Because if you DO accept that things are exactly as dangerous as I say, how do you justify continuing to luxuriate in business as usual?

The end of this world, or this paradigm, or this order of things, isn't the end of the world.

Even if it is, a refutation isn't necessary. I would rather dare to have faith in our brothers and sisters to do the right thing, to hope for the future and to work towards it, and to risk loving everyone I interact with. Ain't going to deny it, but ain't going to worry about it. It's always this dangerous. Keep loving moving.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Jan 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

SSNeoman posted:

Expand on this and cite your sources.

It's a pretty common theme in current political discourse.

The "all government in is terrible and coercive" shtick of the right, is a the system has no validity assertion.
The there is systematic racism that targets and oppresses people of color disproportionately, is a "the system has no validity assertion."
Many criticism of the financial institutions responsible for the 2008 crash are "the system has no validity assertion(s)"

Now some are bullshit and some pretty much true. But the theme of "the system has no validity", holy hell, variants of that are basically what everybody (but Hillary) is running on.

edit:

Quidam Viator posted:

Out of all this rambling, I wish to draw out a single point: taken rationally, I argue that it is now simply TOO LATE to put cats back in bags, TOO LATE to halt the recursive progression of climate change, and TOO LATE to decelerate the shitshow that is American politics. We are in a downward spiral that is not simply national, but global in scale. My challenge to anyone remains the same: to formulate a counter-argument that is not just a dismissive "Oh, things always get better, and people have been yelling about the end of the world since Cicero!", but to explain in detail how we can reverse the acceleration of politics towards complete separation from the concept of the public good and sane governance. I demand that someone make a believable case for HOW we are going to convince the whole world to reverse the process of climate destruction, to fend off what India and China are going to do as their consumption increases. And most importantly, I demand that you explain how our current systems manage to solve all of these problems WITHIN their own structures, WITHOUT some grand and extremely unpleasant overturning and revolution.

Choose not to despair.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jan 27, 2016

• Locked thread