Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
maybe this has been posted already? I truly enjoyed reading all of these series. his take on the Grail and Arthur were both amazing, and then the Saxon series was probably the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
For the GBS poster arrived in the Book Barn.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
part of the fun is derfel's progression through the series while he's being a Christian narrator writing the books with the mouse lord checking in him. He starts out all pious and at the end is touching his hammer and forgetting to capitalize god and then goes to die as old man hoping to hold his sword.

these books are great but cornwell seems to reuse the exact same phrases to end chapters

"For the Saxons had arrived" blah blah

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
same thing with the grail quest books but there he was focused on how strong archers were and "then the arrows flew" blah blah

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
How he closed the grail quest was perfect though, that was probably the best ending to any Grail search story that could exist

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

let it mellow posted:

guys I think Uhtred might take bebbanburg (sp?) in the next book

I was right and it owned think the grail series was actually his best. Thomas of hookton owned

let it mellow fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Feb 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Unctuous Cretin posted:

Maybe he's a descendent of Derfel.

More likely, he saw an awesome name while doing his research and it stuck with him, leading to looking more into it.

actually he's a descendant of uhtred if you believe him

• Locked thread