Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
I've read almost Cornwell's entire catalog, barring Sharpe and the boat mysteries. They're formulaic as hell, and after the third you'll see it coming.

That being said, I love them. His enthusiasm for the history and settings shine so brightly, it's easy to ignore a lot of the quirks.

I'm pages from the end of the newest Uhtred, and unless an arrow flies over the wall and kills him, there's going to be more coming.

I want to see the The Last Kingdom show, but have good way of getting all the episodes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker

let it mellow posted:

guys I think Uhtred might take bebbanburg (sp?) in the next book

I bet his current girlfriend will not die and be replaced by a new one whose characterization is oddly familiar!

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Maybe he's a descendent of Derfel.

More likely, he saw an awesome name while doing his research and it stuck with him, leading to looking more into it.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
The Thomas of Hookton / Grail Quest series are a lot of fun. It's more jerking off about English longbowmen than shield walls, but otherwise checks all the same boxes.

Unctuous Cretin
Jun 20, 2007
LUrker
Therein lies the joke.

Has anyone read any of the non-sword / soldier books he's written? I know he's got several sailing yacht-themed mysteries, but I've never really bothered.

• Locked thread