Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I did a big thread on king arthur a while back, link here:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617881

I've read all of Cornwell's Sharpe series and enjoyed it. It's not quite on the same level as Renault or O'Brian but you can tell he does his research. The interesting thing was that it's the only major series I know of that you really should read in internal chronological order rather than published order, because he plotted all 20-odd books out in advance before writing the first one; though of course basing it on a foot-soldier's view of Nelson's career helped. EDIT: not Nelson, Wellington, I just woke up here

How can anyone like Ken Follett, though. I mean, poo poo, people complain about fantasy novels being rapey. Pillars of the Earth is the only book I was ever assigned for class that I didn't finish reading; It's like someone took an Edward Rutherford novel and just added a rape scene on every fourth page.

One good book to read after reading Cornwell's saxon stories is White Horse King by Benjamin Merkle.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread