Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

DarkSol posted:

I think if they had marketed it properly, it would have done better. That said, I'm not sure how much better. I can't think of any slapstick action movies that were R around that time period.

Maybe Ford Fairlaine and Cool World, perhaps, maybe Dead Heat just a bit earlier.

It didn't seem like outside of Beverly Hills Cop that the action-comedy sort of found their audience until maybe post-MiB and Austin Powers and the Scary Movie franchise by the second half of the 90s.

edit: Looking at R-rated flicks of 1991, there are a lot of R-rated comedies that did lackluster business, espcially those that tried to have a crime/action angle to them. From a quick glance on BOMojo, you have Hudson Hawk, but also Marrying Man, VI Warchowski, Rage in Harlem, The Hard Way that were sort of infamous for their lack of success. Most of them would have probably been PG-13 affairs just decade later either due to studio cuts to make them more marketable or just changing social acceptance, I'd suspect.

Considering 2001 the only notable R-rated comedy films are sequels to the films that revived raunchy R-rated teen comedies like American Pie 2, Scary Movie 2, a Bridget Jones movie a bunch of more indie affairs or low-budget films that have probably been largely forgotten that maybe got greenlit due to the above said raunchy R-rated comedy boom.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!
It's been so long since I've seen it, but it's sort of a proto-Austin Powers romp. You've got a lot of similar things going in in both films.

Characters who were once at the top of their game and emerge into a new era they don't fully understand. Musical numbers. 60s spy caper homages. I think In Like Flint sound effects were used in both and even Demi Moore was a producer for at least one of the Austin Powers films. We should get one of those companies that specialize in crossover comics of movie franchises to do a Hudson Hawk vs. Austin Powers with Goldmember hunting down Da Vinci's machine or something.

JediTalentAgent fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Dec 12, 2015

• Locked thread