Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

rotinaj posted:

But you don't understand.

Obama baaaaaaad.
I think someone posted how prior to his release, people on the right like Sarah Palin were whining at Obama about why he wasn't doing anything for Bowe. Then as soon as the trade happens, they of course pull a 180 and condemn the action, despite supposedly wanting this all along.

It doesn't sound like there was a real backup rescue plan. They had no intel on where he was, and he was somewhere in Waziristan, which is not where you want to conduct a military operation if you can avoid it. Plus this was just a couple of years after Obama pissed off the Pakistanis by conducting the Osama raid without their permission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut
I'm just trying to figure out why they referred to Bowe's "rescue." If I remember correctly, they used that word several times in the last episode, and it seems misleading.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also

Jurgan posted:

I'm just trying to figure out why they referred to Bowe's "rescue." If I remember correctly, they used that word several times in the last episode, and it seems misleading.

Because they were try to loving locate and extract him, aka rescue?

loving goons.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Jurgan posted:

What the hell do you think rescue means

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

uhh it was a mutual trade you guys. they probably set it up when they were browsing the for-trade section of abdullahslist

Bitchkrieg
Mar 10, 2014

Today's episode, number eleven, is the final one of the season. Bummer.

I can't help but feel that Koenig herself was disappointed in this season; like, it didn't gain the level of significance or insight she was hoping for. The premise was fascinating and overall the season was well-executed and presented.

But without Bergdahl himself to contribute, it couldn't reach its full potential. I do think it was an effective way to examine what an overwhelming clusterfuck the war in Afghanistan was/is, and what a tremendous shitshow American foreign policy is in that area.

motorcyclesarejets
Apr 24, 2007
I'm not sure what the major scoop she found that required them to change the show schedule to every two weeks was

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
What an abysmal failure of a season lol

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

this season was bad right

I quit at the end of episode one

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I liked it

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
That was an extremely long preview for Mark Boal's upcoming adaptation/documentary of the Bergdahl story... wait that was season 2 of serial?

Another wet fart of an ending to a season of serial.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

the episodes with very little bergdahl in them were good

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014
This season was pretty good.

Now, granted, it wasn't a sexy true crime story. But as journalism and an examination of the story it was good.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

I think I'd have got into it a lot more if the episode detailing his personality was episode 2 (and the story took a more linear approach in general).

Geekslinger
Jan 30, 2005

Overall it was decent but much like season 1 it went out like a wet fart at the end.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

AngryBooch posted:

Another wet fart of an ending to a season of serial.

The revelation that the rallying cry used against him for the entire season, that him walking off was directly responsible for the deaths of American soldiers when they were sent to find him, was completely untrue was a good capstone. Especially with some of the people from the earlier episodes admitting that they no longer blame him or were wrong about what they said earlier.

This was a good season, I hope all the annoying people who ruined discussion of season 1 have all lost interest and hosed off by now.

life is a joke
Mar 7, 2016
I liked it and I'm glad i listened to the whole thing, and was pleased when it started to really pick up a few episodes ago. But I really thought I had misheard something when she said it was the final episode, it really doesn't feel like a complete arc even though I guess it technically was.

My favorite part was when the dudes that hated his guts at the beginning of the season softened up on him. Afghanistan really has been a nightmare and this one goofy kid that made a dumb mistake isn't some evil traitor. Just in the wrong place for a guy with his mindset. Hope whatever punishment he gets takes his 5 years of hardship into account.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Guy Mann posted:

The revelation that the rallying cry used against him for the entire season, that him walking off was directly responsible for the deaths of American soldiers when they were sent to find him, was completely untrue was a good capstone. Especially with some of the people from the earlier episodes admitting that they no longer blame him or were wrong about what they said earlier.

This was a good season, I hope all the annoying people who ruined discussion of season 1 have all lost interest and hosed off by now.

I did appreciate that part. As well as the story of another soldier, even goonier than Bergdahl, who tried to walk to Eastern Europe with a replica battleaxe strapped to his back from his base in Afghanistan. He just happened to be picked up and returned by the Afghanistan police instead of the Taliban so there were no charges.

But, the conclusions, for two seasons now, are just not satisfying. They don't even feel like complete stories. Which is why I made the dumb comment about this season being a preview for whatever Mark Boal is doing, because he's actually waiting for an ending.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I'm assuming that they will do some follow-up in August during his court-martial? Because until that is completed the story isn't over.

Wake_N_Bake
Dec 5, 2003

I love to argue by using all caps. I feel it helps keep people from noticing that I have little or nothing to add to any given conversation. I also
Those of you who think season 1 or 2 should have a nice Law & Order conclusion are teenagers. That's not how life works. There are no conclusive endings most of the time.

I too, was a bit disappointed with this season. Whoever said Sarah also sounded disappointed was dead on. I don't think she got as far, or as deep into the story as she wanted, but isn't that true of all of us?

I did like how she framed the ending. All of us were complicit in the commitment to war. We just may not have grasped exactly what we were agreeing to. Disillusioned young troops, casualties, and repercussions way beyond pushing one man to his breaking point.

Whether or not you agree, it makes you think.

7 RING SHRIMP
Oct 3, 2012

Ok bro

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES
I enjoyed this season more than the second. The utter clusterfuck that sprung forth one fuckup's fuckup and how it's exacerbated by everyone involved refusing to take responsibility unfolded like a macabre Rube Goldberg machine. Not only that, but this incident says more about us as a society than Adnan Syed's ongoing case. Because "No man left behind" (except if the terrorists would win) shows the cycle of exploitation soldiers go through. I don't know what Koenig and co. is going to tackle next, but I'll be listening. I dig super-controversial stuff like this; maybe they should go back to Baltimore and this time take on the Freddie Gray case.

Benny the Snake fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Apr 1, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Benny the Snake posted:

I enjoyed this season more than the second. The utter clusterfuck that sprung forth one fuckup's fuckup and how it's exacerbated by everyone involved refusing to take responsibility unfolds to me like a macabre Rube Goldberg machine. Not only that, but this incident and how it unfolded says more about us as a society than Adan Syed's ongoing case. Because "No man left behind" (except if the terrorists would win) shows the cycle of exploitation soldiers go through. I don't know what Koenig and co. is going to tackle next, but I'll be listening. I dig super-controversial stuff like this; maybe they should go back to Baltimore and this time take on the Freddie Gray case.
Freddie Gray would be good....or Mike Brown

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Hey, if any of you guys want more investigative journalism, the podcast Reveal is really, really good.

Serial s2 was interesting, but not as impactful, and had a flat ending because there's no ending to be had for this story.

I hope the next season doesn't take a whole year to show up and is good.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i feel like both Adnan and Bowe were both terminally goony

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i feel like both Adnan and Bowe were both terminally goony

What? Adnan was the charismatic, good-looking guy liked by everyone.

This season was great from a journalistic standpoint, but it didn't hook me like season 1 did. Not because I wanted another cold case, but it didn't have the fun, hands-on aspect that season 1 did. Like the episode in which they tried to retrace the route in 21 minutes or whatever, that was cool. And season 1 had this low-budget feel, even though it wasn't at all.

I guess this one felt more like an audiobook and professional, with the whole season planned out ahead of time. Season 1 felt more organic, them having no idea where they would end up.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Paul Zuvella posted:

What the hell do you think rescue means

A military operation, usually one involving active combat? It doesn't make me think of something as dry as a diplomatic exchange.

Anyway, I would say this season started out weak but improved over time. The episodes that detailed minute by minute what Bowe did were dull, to me, but when it started looking at the wider picture I enjoyed it more. Up until now, I just figured the whole controversy was yet another case of Republicans knee-jerk opposing everything Obama does. While I still don't have any respect for guys like Mitch McConnell, I understand better why some soldiers were genuinely angry at Bowe. The picture is more complicated than I'd originally thought, and that's exactly what long-form storytelling is good at showing.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Yeah Adnan is the polar opposite of a goon, he went outside and even spoke to women occasionally in between swings of the shovel

Overall I liked this season and found it compelling, especially as a non-American who had pretty much no prior knowledge of the case. Season 1 had higher high points, I guess you could say, but quickly ran out of steam once you realised there was never going to be a satisfying conclusion. With season 2 there were a couple of dud episodes but on the whole it was continually interesting - I wasn't expecting any genuine resolution since it was clear early on that Bowe was still awaiting trial.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Jurgan posted:

A military operation, usually one involving active combat? It doesn't make me think of something as dry as a diplomatic exchange.

Have you actually watched the release video? Because two Blackhawks loaded with special forces troops and a pair of Hercules (I think?) orbiting overhead sure as poo poo looks like a military operation to me - particularly when one of the helicopters lands in front of 20+ Taliban guys armed with AKs and RPGs.

Sure it's not much like Counter-Strike or whatever, but it would've been tense as gently caress for everyone involved.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

webmeister posted:

Have you actually watched the release video? Because two Blackhawks loaded with special forces troops and a pair of Hercules (I think?) orbiting overhead sure as poo poo looks like a military operation to me - particularly when one of the helicopters lands in front of 20+ Taliban guys armed with AKs and RPGs.

Sure it's not much like Counter-Strike or whatever, but it would've been tense as gently caress for everyone involved.

Thanks for sharing the video. I didn't know it existed. That was loving fast

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

I probably wouldn't want to spend that long around armed Taliban guys either tbqh

Sivart13
May 18, 2003
I have neglected to come up with a clever title
I liked the season.

The only big negative was the initial focus on Bowe's recorded audio. I thought the audio quality and the general insight to be had from Bowe himself was so low that they ought not to have included it.

Which is weird because it seems like the tape dump seems to be the impetus for the season, "we've got this trove of audio to use, let's write a story around it!". But Bowe is this really uninteresting spergy individual, the interesting part is demonstrating how one spergy dude's action can butterfly-effect its way out like it did.

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

I liked Bowe's audio a lot. The part of the season I was most compelled by was his first person narrative. Maybe because I was also a goony disillusioned military member who daydreamed about running off

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
The peak of this season was the Bowe profile halfway through.

Dilbert Fanclub President
Oct 21, 2015

by Reene

turevidar posted:

The peak of this season was the Bowe profile halfway through.

Yeah hiding weapons Dwight Schrute style was amazing.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The reveal that other soldiers had done the exact same goddamn thing, but that Bowe was the only one who got picked up by the taliban instead of the ANP was a way bigger deal to me.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

webmeister posted:

Thank you! No, I didn't know that, which is why I asked the question in the first place. But apparently no one else could give a direct answer, instead saying variations of "because you're a stupid loving goon who smells bad." Which may be true, but not relevant.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

As sympathetic as I am with Bowe, I look at him blinking at the sun in the pickup in that video, knowing what he's been through, what a horrible experience that was... and then I think of him getting mad at the Army and walking off base and I also think, "You dumbass."

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

VagueRant posted:

The reveal that other soldiers had done the exact same goddamn thing, but that Bowe was the only one who got picked up by the taliban instead of the ANP was a way bigger deal to me.

Difference between loving up and loving up royally. No harm, no foul.. etc etc

Mostly if your loving up hurt other people, your going to get punished much more harshly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frankenfinger
May 1, 2007

doctorfrog posted:

As sympathetic as I am with Bowe, I look at him blinking at the sun in the pickup in that video, knowing what he's been through, what a horrible experience that was... and then I think of him getting mad at the Army and walking off base and I also think, "You dumbass."

I know nothing of Armed Services justice. Can they sentence him to 5 years for deserting then go "Oh, wellp, we'll count time in the Taliban cage as time served, so Dishonorable discharge - you're free to go." ? Everything he did was wrong and he should be punished. But it just seems pretty clear to me that he _has_ been.

• Locked thread