Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VagueRant
May 24, 2012

Peace Frog posted:

I'm intrigued by the premise, but I have to say I find the involvement of that slimeball Mark Boal pretty gross.

I guess if you loved Zero Dark Thirty you'll disagree.
I'll bite, why is he a slimeball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
'And it was all bullshit...because he's in Pakistan.'

gently caress, man. Funny and depressing as all hell.

It is legit interesting to see the lengths the US military will go to get back one guy though. Curious if Sarah's going to get to a cost/benefit analysis of the prisoner exchange...

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Season 2 is a good podcast. Beau is a loving trainwreck.

And I kind of hate how much I relate to him.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Oh, you mean how he wanted to be a kung-fu master, a samurai and is a big Ayn Rand fan?

Amazing. The podcast should've opened with this goldmine.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012

doctorfrog posted:

Was I imagining this, or did he also want to figure out things like morality, interpersonal relationships, and what it means to be a man, basically all on his own 'pure' study, making dumb social experiments and starting ethical arguments with friends instead of just asking questions, reading books, and seeking answers? Because this kind of stubborn approach--in which you start from square one and basically never leave it--is very similar to at least a couple of people I know.
I dunno, if he never got the chance to do that poo poo as a kid or a teen, it sort of makes sense. I mean, that is the stuff you figure out by practice.

On the other hand, his whole "I will join the men in the bonding experience of smoking - with my pipe" suggests he maybe kept that up.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I'm just fascinated by how he apparently did very well in basic training (then went on in the goddamn infantry)...Yet he was, what? Three weeks into coastguard training when he had a psychotic break?

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
It was unusual. It was not a thing that happened often. The fact that it was done by a guy who wandered off base mysteriously - yeah, you're going to connect those dots with him acting unlike other soldiers.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
The reveal that other soldiers had done the exact same goddamn thing, but that Bowe was the only one who got picked up by the taliban instead of the ANP was a way bigger deal to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Let's be honest, part of the real reason this season was so under-recieved is that the general populace tune out anything to do with soldiers outside of a disinterested patrotic swell for "our troops". I mean poo poo, most people think NATO forces were in Afghanistan fighting Al-Qaeda for oil.

The plight of Adnan and co. was immediately relatable to the average person's world, with police and high school and relationships. War is so far removed from most people's real lives that they can't even imagine that poo poo, it's too much hard work. It all just blends together with Call of Duty and Battlefield Earth and brittle hero worship into a desert coloured sludge.

People just don't have a frame of reference, a basis, a groundwork for the day-to-day on a tour, and it's so unimaginably lovely that they don't really WANT to think about it. Plus Sarah Koenig can't really break down the complicated picture of the war in Afghanistan overall without leaving out a ton of details and being called "biased".

Also there's the whole not speaking to Bowe thing. That sucked too.

• Locked thread