Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
illectro
Mar 29, 2010

:jeb: ROCKET SCIENCE :jeb:

Hullo, I'm Scoot Moonbucks.
Please stop being surprised by this.
Just found the thread and some people have been asking about compact all in one 360 cameras and I've had some experience with many of them.

I just received Nikon's Keymission 360 having previously been using a Ricoh Theta S for a bunch of videos (as well as a bunch of CGI). And right now my experience is just terrible. A 360 camera is heavily reliant on the apps that control it and right now the software is so bad as to be unusable. So if you were in the market for an all in one camera I'd wait to see if they fix the software. The Nikon is however the most robust of all the options, it'll even work underwater, although the optics won't deliver 360 because the refractive index of water is higher than air.

The Ricoh Theta S has been good for me, it's nice and compact but the software is a bit janky in places but it works reliably, and the camera is pretty capable even without the app. It's a shame the video quality on the Theta is potato quality 1080s. It's been good for night time timelapse videos through, since the still resolution is good. Timelapse frame rates are however limited by the 8second processing time on each frame.

I've also looked at the LG 360 camera, which offers 1440s resolution video at almost half the price, but the optics are terrible and the video looks worse than the Theta.

Another option I looked at is the Samsung Gear 360, which does 4K, but it only officially supports High end Samsung phones and I'm all iOS. In theory it supports OSC but I don't know to what extent.

Interestingly when it comes to stitching and blind spots the Theta soundly beats all comers. Because it's much thinner than the Samsung and Nikon it can also record things much closer without parallax related glitches.

Not sure whether I'll be returning the Nikon, I really need 4K (BTW the Nikon only does 24fps video)
I kinda just wish Ricoh would release a Theta that cans manage 4K.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread