Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
We recently built our own 360 stereoscopic still camera rig. stills only and takes a loving age to assemble, but looks beautiful.
We've got a nokia OZO on the way too, renting it for a week to cover one of our old projects. if it works well I think we'll be getting one. I am massively skeptical of anything doing stereo 360 video, I dont think the final footage is going to look good but i hope i'm proven wrong.

Anyway i got nothing to share, but we have a PR agency writing a story about our first publicly available VR stuff so i'll post that when it's out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

RizieN posted:

Please let me know how you like the Nokia. The design looks crazy.

It's got poo poo for dynamic range, is low res, is incredibly noisy in the shadows and takes about 6 hours to stitch a few minutes of footage. Very clean stitch, but ultimately useless.
Their software also only works on the dustbin mac pro's so we had to rent one of those too.
All in all I think they settled on theit final hardware too soon, it's been a long time since I saw a phone take a video that looks as bad as this. It'll be obsolete in 6 months.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

nobodygetshurt posted:

I've read that in order to get true 4k resolution in VR (as what you see within a 120 degree FOV), you will need resolutions like 12288x6144. Is that consistent with what anyone else has heard? What are the resolutions that your cameras output by default, after being stitched together?

That's way too high - our cubic image format outputs are 18432 x 1536 - that's 12 squares at 1536 each side. 9216 wide if non 3d. This is the most well optimized way of rendering 3d vr, there's no pinching or wasted space on the image. This is 'native resolution' (none will benefit from a bigger image) for all currently available VR headsets.
that format works on anything, you can probably even include a sample scene for AE with a couple of cubes mapped properly where one is only visible to left eye and the other only visible to right.
The nokia ozo for example outputs about half this. No current camera can do video at the native resolution of available HMD's. We can do still images with a custom rig at about double, each eye comes out to 18k wide - but it turns and does them individually so it can only be used in empty rooms with nobody in.

Cubic images look like this - https://labs.chaosgroup.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Construct_ImminentCollision.jpg
and it goes left, right, top, bottom, back, front - left eye first, with each cube image being flipped.
depending what you use to generate your backgrounds most rendering engines have a feature to built in to handle rendering these automatically.
Reason it might be good for you is because you can break them up into 12 small image sequences and allow people to play with it a bit more freely.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 9, 2016

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
That article is a mess & kind of rambles on. No hmd can view 4k in its singular field of view. Find a different article. Each eye I'd put around 8k wide as a guess, but again if you are selling after effects presets you have an oppertunity to do this a better way.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Use 6144 x 3072 per eye. you can do top/bottom layout and fit both eyes in a 6144x6144 square image

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Where have both of you got 4k for each eye? there's no screen on the market that can get anywhere close. I'm going off the 2560 x 1440 of every VR screen on the market (1280x1440 per eye)

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

RizieN posted:

I was just thinking to be future-proof. I wish 4K wasn't a thing but it is...

I doubt demand will cause us to ever make screens that resolution - phones have plateaued at 1440p - some are slightly higher, but the difference isnt visible and it only consumes more power. The only reason VR exists as an industry is because of screens for phones being mass produced and brought down in price, so I dont see VR specific 8k x 4k 5 inch screens getting made in any decent quantity or being well adopted. Someone will make one, but nearly all users with a vr headset will be using the mass market version with a screen that is also used in phones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
So for what feels like a decade, we've been chipping away at a VR app and it's finally ready. The plan was to start a series that offers an insight into the design concepts & process behind architecture, presented as a guided tour by the architect.

The first issue went live today - it's a small but incredibly beautiful house in Miami.
The teaser video and links to gear vr for samsung & play store for the pixel version is available here - https://www.facebook.com/dboxvr/videos/1884522515169597/

We've got 2 more issues half produced featuring projects by chad oppenheim & OMA, plus issue 4 in the early planning stages (scheduling access) for an interior designers model unit in 432 park avenue.
Anyway, check it out, maybe some of you will be into it. hopefully it'll grow into something cool.

• Locked thread