Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Jofer :stonk:

I hate caring about things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Is Soler likely to start tonight vs the Cards? Just picked him up and don't know what the Cubs lineup situation is.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Schweinhund posted:

Is Soler likely to start tonight vs the Cards? Just picked him up and don't know what the Cubs lineup situation is.

The Cubs have too many talented guys to definitively guess on someone like Soler. Considering he should be on the playoff roster, though, there's a good chance Joe will want to give him a start against a pitcher like Martinez. The Cubs are usually very good about releasing their lineups early, if you can make same day adds and drops, though.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

I had to decide by 1 and started him instead of Kiermaier. I think he'll start but hopefully it won't even matter.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

My offense forgot there were games today :(

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!

Schweinhund posted:

I had to decide by 1 and started him instead of Kiermaier. I think he'll start but hopefully it won't even matter.

Not that Kiermaier would have helped you any, but I hope you don't need Soler. Maddon's going with the old Kris Bryant in left field to get Javy Baez time at third move.

Monday_
Feb 18, 2006

Worked-up silent dork without sex ability seeks oblivion and demise.
The Great Twist
So is anyone else going to try and use Fernandez as an excuse for their playoff elimination? Or just me?

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Jingleheimer posted:

I had Oscar Taveras in my keeper league and this year I have Jose Fernandez :(

I'm not even a Miami fan and I'm legitimately upset by this news. This completely loving sucks for any fan of baseball. :(

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Monday_ posted:

So is anyone else going to try and use Fernandez as an excuse for their playoff elimination? Or just me?

Stanton, Kemp, and Diaz are all not playing today and I'm absolutely going to lose because of it.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Welp, just swept the No. 1 seed in our league out of the playoffs, 12-0. He finished more than 15 games ahead of anyone else.

Not only that but his ace was... Jose Fernandez.

To the finals I go.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
The fun of H2H means that once playoff time happens, everything is thrown out the window. The top 2 teams in our league finished with winning percentages of .665 and .655. Everyone else was sub-.583. What happens? The 5, 6, 7 teams go onto the second round. The top team is eliminated this week. The finals will now be between the 5th and 6th placed team.

Oh, I am the 6th place team.

I won in the closest week I can ever remember. We were tied after Friday, then they went ahead 6-3 after last night. I pretty much needed a miracle today, and my batters came through, while their team poo poo the bed. All day, we were going back and forth, before I went ahead 6-4 to win the week.

It's just amazing because my team started the year by losing the first 6 weeks, and then going 1-4 in the final 5 weeks of the season. I really don't know how I have pulled out wins the last 2 weeks.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

Not that Kiermaier would have helped you any, but I hope you don't need Soler. Maddon's going with the old Kris Bryant in left field to get Javy Baez time at third move.

It ended up not mattering and I'm going to win the league. It was close though. If he got 1 more SB he would've won. Crazy how it comes down to that after a full year.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Wow, so sad about Fernandez. He seemed like a good guy.

Whoa, I'm going to the finals in my pro h2h league. It's my first year playing fantasy baseball and my pitching is horrible. Wooo

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Yeah, H2H is hilarious in the playoffs. My 8th place team knocked the top seed out last week and so long as Kris Bryant doesn't have a good game tonight, I'll beat the 5th seed this week and will have a finals match-up against the same dude I somehow beat last year.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

4th year of our dynasty, I used to have a really hotly contested division rival in the first 2 years but our franchises had different fortunes and I just repeated as champion while he missed the playoffs for the 2nd straight year.

I guess be careful what you wish for, the past couple years haven't been nearly as fun tbh.

...but still pretty sweet :chord:

Felter Chesthard
Sep 11, 2001
My finals match is a 5-5 tie with me winning all pitching categories and my opponent winning all hitting.

My ridiculous staff in a 10 team league -
Bumgarner, Kluber, Darvish, Hendricks, Hill, and Fernandez. Rest in peace buddy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Monday_ posted:

A good chunk of my lineup's game was canceled today.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Lost my matchup 5-4. Lost runs by one. Dingers and Steals tied. Kemp, Stanton, and Diaz didn't play today.

And yet I can still only partially "blame" today because

:suicide:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

Had the best offense in my league all year then went .201 this week with poo poo pitching(Fernandez and Gray were my only keepers from last year). Had a fun year though!

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
My team hit .280 from April until the break then .440 for the next 5 weeks before hitting .210 the last month. Even then I could've swept the pitching categories and won on a tiebreaker but I got bounced in the semis because Cobb, Giles, and Familia bumped my ERA up like almost 3 full runs and I only got one start each from Price, Arrieta, Kluber, Verlander, and none from Hendricks.

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Sep 26, 2016

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

IcePhoenix posted:

Lost my matchup 5-4. Lost runs by one. Dingers and Steals tied. Kemp, Stanton, and Diaz didn't play today.

And yet I can still only partially "blame" today because

:suicide:

Honestly you played it as well as you could have. No way to plan for Todd Frazier stealing two bases on Sunday and Nelson Cruz hitting two dingers on a team that had four total hits.

It was fun to keep up with though.

E: Or having your own team get three hits. One of those is a dinger instead, you win. Just a crazy, weird Sunday.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
Well, I made it through to the finals in my main H2H league, winning 6-4. Tied in quality starts and holds. Streamed Eduardo Rodriguez hoping for a quality start, but he fell just short thanks to throwing too many pitches. Luckily his ridiculous 13 strikeout game helped me hold on to win Ks by 3. But him getting a few less strikeouts combined with either my opponent getting a hold or me not getting a QS between Rodriguez and Musgrove would've been a loss.

Now I get to move Jose Fernandez into my NA slot for the finals because the world is a terrible, heartbreaking place sometimes.

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

I'm limping across the finish line. In the championship, despite my pitching falling apart in the last couple weeks. My batters, who started the year strong and then fell off finally clicked again last week, hopefully they do again and I can stream enough pitching categories to win. Stream to win :clint:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Pandanaut posted:

Honestly you played it as well as you could have.

I mean, I clearly didn't, though. I had several players with no game on Monday that I could have put Stanton in for but I for some reason I didn't.

It's also super unfulfilling because my "well I'm getting destroyed in pitching but maybe if I can scare him into putting his starting pitchers out there this weekend one of them will have a meltdown and give me ERA" gambit actually worked somehow.

On a less whiny sidenote, this is only the second time since I've been in the league that we didn't meet in the playoffs. The first time you won the championship :v:

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
Yeah you actually left him on the bench monday and tuesday, and he hit a HR both days. I was wondering about that, maybe you had an emergency or something. Very unlike you.

I did get super lucky yesterday, no bones about that. It would be nice if more than 2 of my hitters would show up for the playoffs, now.

e: Also, Panda your team is goddamn scary. We had a great final week matchup. I hope all our players come to play and we have a great Finals now!

SouthShoreSamurai fucked around with this message at 16:08 on Sep 26, 2016

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

SouthShoreSamurai posted:

Yeah you actually left him on the bench monday and tuesday, and he hit a HR both days. I was wondering about that, maybe you had an emergency or something. Very unlike you.

I did get super lucky yesterday, no bones about that. It would be nice if more than 2 of my hitters would show up for the playoffs, now.

e: Also, Panda your team is goddamn scary. We had a great final week matchup. I hope all our players come to play and we have a great Finals now!

I didn't mention Tuesday because I would have benched Mazara for him, and Mazara also hit a dinger that day. Good luck in the finals, both of you!

Also as an amusing side note, I realized this morning that my first round pick is locked in no matter what happens in the third place game because of the trade I made earlier that gives me the opportunity to swap first rounders with...the team I'm playing.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

IcePhoenix posted:

I mean, I clearly didn't, though. I had several players with no game on Monday that I could have put Stanton in for but I for some reason I didn't.

It's also super unfulfilling because my "well I'm getting destroyed in pitching but maybe if I can scare him into putting his starting pitchers out there this weekend one of them will have a meltdown and give me ERA" gambit actually worked somehow.

On a less whiny sidenote, this is only the second time since I've been in the league that we didn't meet in the playoffs. The first time you won the championship :v:

I've missed guys before, hell I've streamed pitchers and forgot to start them. I was mostly looking at the pitching angle when I said that. I think the big thing for you will be for Greinke to figure it out.

I hope so too! I've have been coasting on Mookie and Papi all year. My pitching has fallen apart at the worst time but alas. I feel like we will both be micromanaging though with guys getting rest or pushed back.

Maybe we will get a Moncada appearance!

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

IcePhoenix posted:

I lost a league three years ago on the last day in a similar situation (lost by a HR that was on my bench because I overslept that morning) and I couldn't watch/enjoy baseball for a month after that. I feel your pain there.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

I own Betances, and the dude I'm facing in the finals has Osuna. Betances gives up the go-ahead run, but Osuna blows the save, setting up Betances to vulture a win. But then Clippard blows the save, and Osuna gets the win. :owned:

And streaming Hellickson was a mistake. Still have a narrow lead with a week to go.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

Murmur Twin posted:

I lost a league three years ago on the last day in a similar situation (lost by a HR that was on my bench because I overslept that morning) and I couldn't watch/enjoy baseball for a month after that. I feel your pain there.

I think I've said this before, but years ago I had the championship come down to literally the last pitch of the season. I trailed my opponent in K's and Saves. I had the closer going in the Sunday night game (don't remember who it was now), and the closer struck out the last batter of the game (and season) to get the save and pull me ahead.

DeepDickPizza
Oct 11, 2012

THREE TIME! THREE TIME!
I knew I should have pulled Bartolo Colon out of my lineup going against the grieving Marlins team looking to win one for Jose.

oops

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe

I hope all our players come to play and we have a great Finals now!

:stare:

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

Yeah congrats on the win.

SouthShoreSamurai
Apr 28, 2009

It is a tale,
Signifying nothing.

Fun Shoe
You put up 38/15/40 last week, I defiintely ain't counting my chickens yet.

Unless the Sox bench Mookie and Papi after they clinch. That would kinda suck.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
Yeah anything can happen, but it's very similar to my matchup last week. A four homer, nine run, 10 RBI and three steal hole after one day is tough to overcome. Especially when all of my Boston hitters are likely to get rested.

It's not like my offense was bad - .350 AVG and a dinger is pretty good with limited players. Just gotta chip away or, worse, rely on winning some pitching categories.

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Let's see, playoffs time rolls around, of course all my players get injured.

Johnny Cueto, Noah Syndergaard, Jacob deGrom, Starling Marte, Gregory Polanco, and Wilson Ramos all have missed significant time or got injured during the two weeks of my playoff matchups.

e: Harvey, Brantley, and Story also all exploded earlier in the year.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Ramos tore his ACL :rip:

Daniel Murphy is also out for the regular season.

Twin Cinema
Jun 1, 2006

Playoffs are no big deal,
don't have a crap attack.
It'd be nice if one of Polanco and Marte came back, because my team has become Blackmon, Rizzo, Seager, and waiver wire scraps.

Again, I have no idea how I am in the championship.

If Kluber is injured for his next start, my rotation becomes Darvish and whatever I can stream.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

DeepDickPizza posted:

I knew I should have pulled Bartolo Colon out of my lineup going against the grieving Marlins team looking to win one for Jose.

oops

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
:allears: Thor

:stwoon: Verlander

:laugh: Price

Inspector_666 fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Sep 28, 2016

• Locked thread