Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
DYNASTY poo poo

Year 1 was last year and didn't think it would see a second year so I went all in & won it. My young guys are iffy. Bold means definitely in. Strikethrough means definitely out.

5x5 with SV+H instead of SV, keep 20, 12 team
C - Matt Wieters, Stephen Vogt
1B - Paul Goldschmidt, Brandon Belt
2B - Arismendy Alcantara
3B - Josh Donaldson, Luis Valbuena
SS - Xander Bogaerts
OF - AJ Pollock, Gregory Polanco, Billy Hamilton, Steven Souza, Michael A. Taylor, Oswaldo Arcia

SP - Madison Bumgarner, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Yordano Ventura, Drew Smyly, Tanner Roark, Mark Appel, Jameson Taillon

RP - Mark Melancon, Ken Giles, Dellin Betances, Joakim Soria, Carson Smith, Will Harris, Pedro Strop, Sergio Romo, John Axford

Trying to figure out the last 3. I have to keep 20.

Thinking Smyly, Roark and one of Appel & Taillon.

I just can't quit Drew Smyly :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause

Dandy Kaiser posted:

2. Votto
5. Altuve
12. Kluber
14. Arrieta
15. Braun
19. Hamilton
21. Ventura
23. Stroman

A guy wants Kluber and gave me a list of guys he's willing to trade:

12. Rendon
18. Buxton
18. Schwarber
19. Springer
22. Gallo

Should I make a move here? Would getting Schwarber and Springer/Buxton/Gallo for Kluber and then flipping Hamilton and/or Braun for another pitcher and/or draft picks be better than what I have?

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy

Dandy Kaiser posted:

A guy wants Kluber and gave me a list of guys he's willing to trade:

12. Rendon
18. Buxton
18. Schwarber
19. Springer
22. Gallo

Should I make a move here? Would getting Schwarber and Springer/Buxton/Gallo for Kluber and then flipping Hamilton and/or Braun for another pitcher and/or draft picks be better than what I have?

Schwarber AND Springer for Kluber?? :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz: :gizz:

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
I pulled the trigger, the final deal ended up being Kluber, Carpenter(9h rd. keeper), 12th, and 15th for Schwarber, Springer, 18th and 22nd. The picks are good too because the 18th is the first round FAs are available and the 22nd is the first round where players drafted are eligible to be kept for free next year.

So now I have:

2. Votto
5. Altuve
14. Arrieta
18. Schwarber
19. Springer
21. Ventura
23. Stroman

with space for another keeper; either a starter, or a hitter with a round 22 or later value and then use my last P slot on Stroman instead (then he moves up to 22); and I still have Braun (15) and Hamilton (19) to trade.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer
Yahoo's back up! :woop:

Any thoughts on my keeper situation? It goes like this:

5x5 H2H with
HR, RBI, AVG, OPS, SB, K's
ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS, NSVH, IP

Keepers take up the draft round you previously drafted (+3 if already a keeper), and waiver acquisitions are the final round, 21.

I keep 3:

Round 10: Howie Kendrick (2B)
Round 15: Yasiel Puig (OF)
Round 18: Soler (OF)
Round 19: A-rod (1B?)
Round 21: Kyle Schwarber (C!!!, OF)
Round 21: Noah Syndergaard (SP)
Round 21: Miguel Sano (3B)

So as you can see, I'm absolutely STACKED with last round keepers. This means I'm going to need to trade others for THEIR 21st round picks if I want to keep more than one. I'm working on that, but does everyone think Schwarber/Sano/Syndergaard is the optimum 3 picks?

I'm a bit tempted by Soler or Puig as well. I'm looking to trade A-Rod (lol), Puig, Kendrick, or some others to see if I can get my hands on other 21st round picks/better round picks.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Those 3 are a no brainer imo

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
How are you guys feeling about Puig next year? I can keep 5 guys next year, 4 in picks 1-4 and a rookie in the last round. Buxton will be my rookie, but I can't see keeping Puig over Machado, Goldschmidt, Cespedes, Chris Davis, or Dee Gordon.

ROCK THE HOUSE M.D.
Oct 9, 2003

I've got a case of malt liquor stashed in the trunk, Mr. Marvin Gaye on the CD. We are gonna get all the way down.

Drafted a team today for a 12 team H2H 5x5. pretty happy with it overall. I had the 1st pick.

C: Salvador Perez
1B: Jose Abreu
2B: Rougned Odor
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Cory Seager
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Starling Marte
OF: Justin Upton
UTIL: Alex Gordon
UTIL: Stephen Piscotty
BN: Jung-ho Kang

SP: David Price, Marcus Stroman, Shelby Miller, Drew Smyly, Wade Miley, Ian Kennedy, Kevin Gausman, Doug Fister
RP: Wade Davis, Glen Perkins, Brad Boxberger, Roberto Osuna

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Do I keep Cruz in the second round of a 12 team keeper league? I already have JD Martinez and Marte in the outfield.

Currently I'm looking at Goldy, rizzo, JD Martinez, sano, Dozier, sale, syndergaard, matz, and Marte as my potential keepers

ZenVulgarity fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Feb 7, 2016

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
I'd probably do it since with that many keepers there's not going to be too many great players available in the 2nd round. If it's an old league compare him to players picked in the 2nd round last year. Drop Dozier if you have to.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What leagues are you guys playing in that people are already making trade offers? I don't even know when mine will draft :psyduck:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Rand alPaul posted:

What leagues are you guys playing in that people are already making trade offers? I don't even know when mine will draft :psyduck:

Keeper leagues, so people are trading players around pre-draft mainly.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

Senf posted:

Having 8 keepers in a 16-team league is so much fun. I purposely bombed two seasons ago and swung a bunch of trades with draft picks to end up with this for the foreseeable future:

Harper
Machado
Pollock
Bryant
Tulo
Schwarber
Lucroy
Pederson or Sonny Gray

I'll just draft All The Pitching this year and play the waivers like usual. Would you guys keep Pederson or Gray?

So I completely forgot that I have Votto, too. Would you guys just say gently caress it and keep Votto and everyone above but Gray and Lucroy? I figure the 8 bats would just about fill up my whole starting lineup and then I could focus my entire draft on pitching, but that seems a little risky. I guess I could probably keep and then trade Tulo for a solid SP, too.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

IcePhoenix posted:

Keeper leagues, so people are trading players around pre-draft mainly.

Gotcha. Has anyone figured out when ESPN's leagues launch?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Trying to figure out my five keepers. Definitely settled on Stanton (1st), Rizzo (5th) and Bryant (10th). For the last two, I'm basically choosing between Correa (2nd), Votto (3rd), Scherzer (4th) and Rendon (19th).

I'm thinking I probably should lock down Correa with my 4th. Leaning toward Scherzer with my last pick, though I could also get amazing value for Rendon, who had a poo poo year but seems like a good bounce-back candidate.

What do you guys think?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
That's good value for Rendon and all, but what's to say he won't just fall down to earth like Ian Desmond, or a ton of other examples? Better profile as a hitter, of course, but isn't Votto a near lock, even at 3?

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004

Moneyball posted:

That's good value for Rendon and all, but what's to say he won't just fall down to earth like Ian Desmond, or a ton of other examples? Better profile as a hitter, of course, but isn't Votto a near lock, even at 3?

That's a good point about Rendon. Votto over Scherzer, though? I'm not sure.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Vernacular posted:

That's a good point about Rendon. Votto over Scherzer, though? I'm not sure.

Oh my bad. I can't count apparently. Go with Scherzer, then. He's as much of a sure thing as a pitcher as Votto is a hitter at this point, so it would be good to have some diversity.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Vernacular posted:

Trying to figure out my five keepers. Definitely settled on Stanton (1st), Rizzo (5th) and Bryant (10th). For the last two, I'm basically choosing between Correa (2nd), Votto (3rd), Scherzer (4th) and Rendon (19th).

I'm thinking I probably should lock down Correa with my 4th. Leaning toward Scherzer with my last pick, though I could also get amazing value for Rendon, who had a poo poo year but seems like a good bounce-back candidate.

What do you guys think?

Correa and Votto or Correa and Scherzer depending on how your league scores and whether or not there's a dude that drafts every starting pitcher.

Rendon is totally a sleeper guy you snag later on when jerks are drafting Matt Wieters.

Vernacular
Nov 29, 2004
Scoring is typical 5x5, with S+H instead of S, as well as OPS and K/BB. So, Votto (cuz OBP) and Scherz (cuz K's) are both super handy to have around in their own right.

It probably doesn't make a huge difference either way. I'm leaning a bit toward Scherzer, though. I've tried zeroing in on offense and relying more on late-round fliers for pitching in my last few drafts, but it hasn't really gone to plan. It really is nice to have a reliable pitcher (especially if you don't have to burn a top 3 pick on him), and my league does tend to overvalue starting pitching a bit.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Definitely Scherzer imo, he gets another huge tick up in a K/BB league.

Love me some Max.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

What are the chances of Andrew Miller getting a full time shot as the closer again? Chapman won't face charges, but I guess can still be suspended. I was actually happy with Miller dropping out of the role, so I could draft him for his ratios and K/9, but one owner sniped him from me and thinks he's still the closer.

I can't pry him, even overpaying. He's somewhat important to my overall strategy.

weas
Jul 22, 2007

Tougher than the
toughest tough guy
I don't see Miller being the closer at all this year if Aroldis stays healthy.

Doghouse
Oct 22, 2004

I was playing Harvest Moon 64 with this kid who lived on my street and my cows were not doing well and I got so raged up and frustrated that my eyes welled up with tears and my friend was like are you crying dude. Are you crying because of the cows. I didn't understand the feeding mechanic.
Can someone point me to a fantasy baseball league that would be good for beginners? I got pretty into baseball last year and it seems like fun, but I don't really know where to begin

Doghouse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Feb 9, 2016

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Doghouse posted:

Can someone point me to a fantasy baseball league that would be good for beginners? I got pretty into baseball last year and it seems like fun, but I don't really know where to begin

Just join an ESPN pubby league or a goon redraft league. I wouldn't suggest a keeper league right now, especially one that has been going for awhile. Keep it simple until you feel you know player values better. Also, keep it to two leagues at the most. Maybe have one be a weekly lineup league and another a daily so you don't feel overwhelmed. New goon leagues will probably start popping up later this month or next.

Also any questions you have, no matter how minor or stupid you think they are, ask here. Most guys here are pretty knowledgeable and offer great advice even if they are playing in your league.

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

Doghouse posted:

I'm in a similar position and this thread has been excellent for learning the intricacies of fantasy baseball.

Semi-related, I was thinking of ruining a League of Futility, where you get penalised for your players doing good things, but get points for errors, strikeouts, hitting into double plays etc, so even people who don't have huge fantasy knowledge can do well.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Pork Pie Hat posted:

Semi-related, I was thinking of ruining a League of Futility, where you get penalised for your players doing good things, but get points for errors, strikeouts, hitting into double plays etc, so even people who don't have huge fantasy knowledge can do well.

A worst player league is actually harder. You've heard of Trout, Goldy, Harper, etc. and know where they stand in fantasy. But who is better for a suck league: Ryan Howard or Pablo Sandoval?

Pork Pie Hat
Apr 27, 2011

jabro posted:

A worst player league is actually harder. You've heard of Trout, Goldy, Harper, etc. and know where they stand in fantasy. But who is better for a suck league: Ryan Howard or Pablo Sandoval?

That's a very good point, perhaps you either need lots of knowledge, or almost no knowledge at all and just be happy to basically take pot luck.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
R,RBI,SB,OPS | IP,ERA,WHIP,K (162 starts) - 12 teams 260$ budget
Who do you like better as a keeper 22$ DeGrom or 26$ Votto? My only other keeper will be a 27$ Harper.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

ChiTownEddie posted:

Who do you like better as a keeper 22$ DeGrom or 26$ Votto? My only other keeper will be a 27$ Harper.

DeGrom at 22 seems juicy but I always valued hitting more in keepers

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

jabro posted:

Nick Punto Memorial league

ChiTownEddie posted:

IP is a category? I hate that. I would load up on relievers like Miller and Betances. No wins? Definitely target them.

Those two players seem like a wash. Maybe go with deGrom due to youth.

Easiest way to get into fantasy baseball is a public H2H league. Roto can be a grind if you're terrible right off the bat. At least you can hang on by a thread and maybe go from worst (seed) to first in the playoffs if someone has a monster final month.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

Moneyball posted:

IP is a category? I hate that. I would load up on relievers like Miller and Betances. No wins? Definitely target them.

Those two players seem like a wash. Maybe go with deGrom due to youth.

Oh yeah, for sure, my roster is normally like 5-6SP (so I hit the start limit) and literally as many RPs as I can handle. I keep no hitting bench. I've also dominated pitching categories the past two years :)

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

My strategy(?) is to load up on offense and either skip starters altogether (though stream matchups) and get the best non-closing relievers, or pick off the low ranked value pitchers. Like, pick my entire full offense and even a bench bat before taking a single pitcher.

Iwakuma, Matz, Severino, :), Garcia, seem worth it.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Moneyball posted:

Nick Punto Memorial league

Represent!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Got bored and tried to figure out a H2H version of an all-suck league. Or maybe I'll make it roto.
Either way, Ian Desmond seems great.

I had to add a ton more pitching categories than hitting, because for one, there aren't enough categories for hitters that punish you the more you have, and two, without the RP categories, they are near useless. I guess your goal here is to try to get your opponent to go 10 - 0. Or if I switch it to roto, the lowest score wins. I need to think this through a lot more.

https://yho.com/mlb?l=1197&k=18acaac864c9b5d7&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=715f12136672a9f1

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Moneyball posted:

Got bored and tried to figure out a H2H version of an all-suck league. Or maybe I'll make it roto.
Either way, Ian Desmond seems great.

I had to add a ton more pitching categories than hitting, because for one, there aren't enough categories for hitters that punish you the more you have, and two, without the RP categories, they are near useless. I guess your goal here is to try to get your opponent to go 10 - 0. Or if I switch it to roto, the lowest score wins. I need to think this through a lot more.

https://yho.com/mlb?l=1197&k=18acaac864c9b5d7&soc_trk=lnk&ikey=715f12136672a9f1

I joined because I'm interested, but you're putting way too much emphasis on pitchers, and you're also not truly punishing people for having good players (Kris Bryant is a very good player in this league, for example, because he strikes out a lot and has a fair amount of errors and GIDPs, which are three of the four hitting stats). Generally the best way to do it is to find a good mix of positive and negative categories and make it a points league, with the stereotypical good things giving negative points, and vice versa.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

IcePhoenix posted:

I joined because I'm interested, but you're putting way too much emphasis on pitchers, and you're also not truly punishing people for having good players. Generally the best way to do it is to find a good mix of positive and negative categories and make it a points league, with the stereotypical good things giving negative points, and vice versa.

Trying to figure out the balance, but I should be working now. I'd just make it a points league if that were the case.

Not a lot of bad hitter categories. SP really dominate without the RP categories.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Moneyball posted:

Matz...Garcia

Ugh, I basically gave Jaime away after he had those shoulder troubles that amounted to nothing at the beginning of last year, and dealt Matz for Dahl at the same time, early returns looking unimpressive there.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Moneyball posted:

Same league as that guy trying to lowball me for Joey Bats- someone offers me Correa for Bats and my current hole at SS is Jung-ho Kang.

Have to mash accept, right?

And then someone on the league message board posts:

Authorities responded to reports of crime in the vicinity of a Yahoo fantasy baseball league. Upon arrival, the officers were aghast at the gory crime scene. Apparently, a grizzled old fantasy veteran smoothly slipped a dagger into the ribs of a fantasy n00b and absconded with the consensus pick for 2016 rookie of the year and MVP contender Carlos Correa leaving in its place, a facsimile of fair value in the rapidly declining husk of Jose Bautista. The n00b bled out on the spot, all the while thinking that he had gotten the better of the deal. Eyewitnesses say that the n00b was quite surprised when they tried to point out that he was bleeding. He last words were "Huh....How'd that happen?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Moneyball posted:

And then someone on the league message board posts:

Authorities responded to reports of crime in the vicinity of a Yahoo fantasy baseball league. Upon arrival, the officers were aghast at the gory crime scene. Apparently, a grizzled old fantasy veteran smoothly slipped a dagger into the ribs of a fantasy n00b and absconded with the consensus pick for 2016 rookie of the year and MVP contender Carlos Correa leaving in its place, a facsimile of fair value in the rapidly declining husk of Jose Bautista. The n00b bled out on the spot, all the while thinking that he had gotten the better of the deal. Eyewitnesses say that the n00b was quite surprised when they tried to point out that he was bleeding. He last words were "Huh....How'd that happen?"

Reply that the noob not only supplied the dagger but also the best place to stab him with it.

• Locked thread