Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Is Laevitaen really necessary? Countering and bouncing on your own turn doesn't seem that necessary and summoning sickness wears off upon it becoming the opponent's turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

Is Laevitaen really necessary? Countering and bouncing on your own turn doesn't seem that necessary and summoning sickness wears off upon it becoming the opponent's turn.

If I want to move in for the kill on turn 4, it is very necessary. It gets all my attackers through and ensures no countermagic to thunders/splits. Plus, in the longer games it lets me accumulate crazy amounts of magic counters since I can flip to Reflect on their turn, get a counter, get a counter, flip to Refrain and do stuff, etc.

Besides, multiple Laevitaens aren't that big a sacrifice. I can loot them away, and sometimes Simian Spirit Guide does helluva work.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Thinking of getting into this game, how does it fare for casual multiplayer? Me and my other magic player friends very rarely duel and almost always play 3-6 player games of ffa or attack left and we find it fine. Is this game just as good (or just as bad depending on outlook I guess) as mtg?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Failboattootoot posted:

Thinking of getting into this game, how does it fare for casual multiplayer? Me and my other magic player friends very rarely duel and almost always play 3-6 player games of ffa or attack left and we find it fine. Is this game just as good (or just as bad depending on outlook I guess) as mtg?

I've never played this game in Multiplayer, but I imagine it should be pretty good if only because everyone can join up to take down a threat from one player if it gets out of control- games should also end faster since the power of creatures increase every time in terms of mana costs.

Just off the top of my head Attack Left might not work out as well since the aggro decks in this game will murder a slow deck, but a Free-for-all should play fine since anyone can attack a tapped creature and play spells to target. Let us know if you do try it out, sounds fun! :)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Let us know if you do try it out, sounds fun! :)

I will do that since I picked up the starters. Right off the bat it's super obvious that these are about a billion times better than the equivalent magic product.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh yeah, they usually have a handful of different rares that are competitively playable. Heck, some of them have really good cards that you can't get anywhere else. Red gets a ridiculously good tutor only found in a starter deck.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

So I'm reading the rules and I haven't quite finished them yet but I skimmed ahead to see if these questions were answered and they didn't seem to be.

1. What happens to a flipped ruler when they are killed? Do they flip back to being a ruler? Judgements are once a game right?

2. Do, and I know I am getting the terminology on this wrong so bear with me, triggered abilities go into the chase? For example, let's say I've got an instant that is destroy target field and my opponent has a field that reads "at the beginning of your turn, draw a card." Does this ability go on the chase where presumably I can prevent it by destroying the field?

Edit: Thanks for the help!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Dec 18, 2015

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

So I'm reading the rules and I haven't quite finished them yet but I skimmed ahead to see if these questions were answered and they didn't seem to be.

1. What happens to a flipped ruler when they are killed? Do they flip back to being a ruler? Judgements are once a game right?

From what I understand they flip back to being a ruler with only the ability to call. Not sure about the second one.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Failboattootoot posted:

2. Do, and I know I am getting the terminology on this wrong so bear with me, triggered abilities go into the chase? For example, let's say I've got an instant that is destroy target field and my opponent has a field that reads "at the beginning of your turn, draw a card." Does this ability go on the chase where presumably I can prevent it by destroying the field?

If it's like in Magic then the first thing that happens when the turn starts (in Magic, that's the upkeep, nothing triggers on untap), is that any "at the beginning of your turn" abilities go on the chase (stack). The soonest you can respond is after that, and by then, it's on the stack, so unless you can counter it specifically, killing the field won't help.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

q_k posted:

From what I understand they flip back to being a ruler with only the ability to call. Not sure about the second one.

Just to expand on this when a J-Ruler dies due to having 0 defense or due to abilities/damage, they stay on the J-Ruler side and go to your Ruler area, but lose all attack and abilities. You can still call stones with your ruler.

However, if the J-Ruler has Imperishable, they return to your Ruler Area face-up in the same orientation they before (for example, if your Rezzard was rested he would return face-up rested) ready to flip over again when you can Judgement.

Serperoth is correct, much like Magic once the ability goes onto the Stack/Chase the ability will still resolve even if the addition/ resonator isn't around, unless otherwise specified on the card (for example, if you kill your Opponent's Resonator in response to a Beast Queen's Counter attack they won't deal damage to another Resonator)

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Got my roommate to play a game just now and it was a lot of fun! My initial impression is that it's everything I like about Magic with the things I like about Hearthstone. I really dig the attack rules now that I've gotten a chance to play with them. There really seems to be a lot of depth there that isn't present in either Magic or Hearthstone. That said there were a couple of things I wasn't sure of;

1. Regalia's aren't unique (as in, only 1 of a name in play at a time) correct? I couldn't find anything that said otherwise.

2. A ruler loses all their stuff post judgement right? It seems pretty rough for Precia to judgement and lose the ability to spend any color will on 4 sacred beasts.

Other than that though I am really impressed. I wish the rules were less engrishy and a little clearer. I also wish the art was better as, ignoring the whole anime'ness of it all (I knew what I was getting into) a lot of it is ultra busy in not a good way. But otherwise I can't wait for tomorrow and my groups usual get-together to play some more!

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Dec 19, 2015

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Failboattootoot posted:

1. Regalia's aren't unique (as in, only 1 of a name in play at a time) correct? I couldn't find anything that said otherwise.

There's no legend rule in this game at the moment. So yeah, you can have as many of a named character or regalia as you want on the field.

quote:

2. A ruler loses all their stuff post judgement right? It seems pretty rough for Precia to judgement and lose the ability to spend any color will on 4 sacred beasts.

Yeap. There's a major bit of timing involved with when you flip your ruler.

quote:

Other than that though I am really impressed. I wish the rules were less engrishy and a little clearer. I also wish the art was better as, ignoring the whole anime'ness of it all (I knew what I was getting into) a lot of it is ultra busy in not a good way. But otherwise I can't wait for tomorrow and my groups usual get-together to play some more!

I think that's a factor of them trying to do the full frame art a lot. As nice as it is in concept, having a limited bit of space for the art would likely make for more cohesive looking cards than constantly text on semi-transparent white box on legs on really colorful background.

edit: I mean, moe history blobs aside, I find the Vingolf resonators and general magic stone art the most consistently pleasing in the game simply because they're a lot simpler.

Ramos fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Dec 19, 2015

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ramos posted:

There's no legend rule in this game at the moment.

OH YEAH?
[Continuous] When you control two or more true magic stones with the same name, banish all but one of them.

:smugdog:

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

AMooseDoesStuff posted:

OH YEAH?
[Continuous] When you control two or more true magic stones with the same name, banish all but one of them.

:smugdog:

Knew I was forgetting something. There are no legendary rules for regalia in the game at the moment.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Played a few games of this and despite the mediocre to godawful art on many of the cards it's actually pretty great. I love that the cards are really heavy and plasticky too, they feel really sturdy.

I bought a starter and a few packs and ended up pulling a foil copy of that evil clown JoJo J-Ruler....no idea what the local meta is but I want to build a deck around him just on principle now.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, he fits your title since he exists to just ruin fun. That said, with Reflect & Refrain likely being popular now, he won't be as amazingly good since he can't kill them.

On that note, I'm working on a low power cube at the moment for FoW. However, I'm not quite sure how I'm going to handle drafting rulers at the moment. The plan is for it to be an eight player cube with access to the ten copies total of the five Vingolf rulers, any ideas?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Scheherazade has the best kawaii art and I wish they made a new version of her. :3:

Also we really need a Zapelli character. The human form of puss in boots is great but it's not a full Jojo character.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
It is triggering to me that Excalibur is not the Sword of Promised Victory.

That said time to learn this game because Excalibur etc.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hi I hope you enjoy gender-swapped historical figures. King Arthur and her knights are a p big deck right now.sorry I forgot King Arthur is still a guy but many of the knights are women

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 23, 2015

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Hi I hope you enjoy gender-swapped historical figures. King Arthur and her knights are a p big deck right now.sorry I forgot King Arthur is still a guy but many of the knights are women

Is there a decklist (did I miss one that was previously posted)?

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Anyone happen to have a good source to buy the english versions of the older starter decks? I found a couple on Amazon and TCG player but not all of them.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Zoness posted:

Is there a decklist (did I miss one that was previously posted)?

This is what I'm playing currently (to a first equal finish at a local tournament of 17 people)- a lot of Knights players have recently swapped to Reflect/Refrain as their ruler, but I've kept in Arla as a additional attacker in case they don't pack Deathscythe/ don't draw it, and the 2 extra counters on the Bow is good for games of attrition/ Flying Resonators. The main strength of the deck is in its consistency and generally fair match ups against most decks due to its speed on the play.

Lack of the R&R as your ruler does mean if your opponent's packing Arthur Pendragon you don't have a way to remove him one-for-one, so focus on removing all their other threats first before you roll in with the team.

Arla Knights

Resonators

4x Guinevere, the Jealous Queen
4x Rukh Egg
4x Lancelot, the Knight of Mad Demon
2x Hector de Maris, the Acolyte of Mad Demon
2x Little Dread, the Fake Red Moon
1x Snow White, the Valkyrie of Passion
2x Gareth, the Dauntless Knight
1x Susanowo, the Ten-Fist Sword
1x Gilles De Rais, the Golden Dragon
3x Perceval, the Seeker of Holy Grail

Spells/ Regalia

3x Flame Kings Shout
3x Demonflame
2x Deathscythe, the Life Reaper
2x Laevateinn, the Demon Sword
4x Artemis, the God's Bow
2x Ame-no-Habakiri

Rocks

5x Fire Magic Stone
4x Magic Stone of Heat ray
1x Little Red, the Pure Stone

Sideboard cards to consider depending on Meta Game: Split Heaven and Earth, Robe of Firerat and Sign to the Future. Hope this helps!

muon
Sep 13, 2008

by Reene
I picked up the Arla, The Winged Lord starter deck to play for the first time tonight as it looked to be a really good deal at $17. Any recommendations for cards to power it up? With how cheap most cards are I wouldn't mind spending a bit to make it more interesting.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, the main issue with your deck's power cap at the moment is that it's only one color and the best way to expand upon it is to give it additional options. Your best bet is to grab some multicolor stones and look into maybe mixing and matching some other decks to see what you like. Thanks to the Vingolf series, you should be able to pick up some yellow bordered special magic stone cards for less than a buck each, if even that much.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

What does Deathscythe add to a deck if the Ruler isn't Rezzar or whatever his name is?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

A good way to blunt aggro and make sure that your opponent's J-Ruler stays dead. Seriously, Sylvia hits hard solely due to her swiftness.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Hmm. Is it enough of a staple that I should have one in any given deck? I have a few extra from boosters.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
its also discard fodder to Guinevere. Seriously though taking away swiftness from opponent is rather important

AMooseDoesStuff
Dec 20, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Hmm. Is it enough of a staple that I should have one in any given deck? I have a few extra from boosters.

Some people definitely say to include at the very least 1 in each deck, and even as new as I am to the game, I can see why that is.
If nothing else it's a pretty powerful sideboard card, whether you run it in literally every deck is partly a meta call and mostly down to you to decide whether it's necessary or not.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

I've played a couple multiplayer games now, 1 with 5 people and 1 with 3 and this game seems about as well suited to it as Magic circa the late 90's does. Which is to say it plays fine but it takes awhile. The 5 player game was 2 hours and the 3 player was an hour and 20 minutes. So, fun but about twice as long to play out as current Magic. This tickles my nostalgia bone but people who got into the game more recently are annoyed by it.

On another topic, I am thinking of picking up a couple of decks I saw on the internet. Wondering if these 2 decks are competent or if they are bad nonsense. Not looking for anything to sweep a tournament, just making sure they are cohesive or aren't missing any super obvious in-theme or just generally really good generic cards. Being moderately inefficient jank is ok too, the only decks they will likely play against are each other and the 7 starter decks so they don't need to be great.

U Wererabbits :japan:

Ruler:Little Red Riding Hood/Little Red the Wolf Girl

Magic Stone:
5 Magic Stone of Water
3 Magic Stone of Moon Shade
2 Magic Stone of Moon Light

Resonators:
4 Knight of the New Moon
4 Pilot of Universe
2 Yang Mage of Decrescent
2 Yin Mage of Increscent
4 Archer of the Crescent Moon
4 Campanella, the Milky Way Moon
4 Dark Shining Swordsman
4 Swordman of the Full Moon

Spells:
4 Rabbit Kick
4 Pale Moon
4 Tsukuyomi the Moon City

B/R Cthulus :zoid:

Ruler: Fiend of the Dark Pyre

Stones (10)
4x Stone of Scorched Bales
1x Little Red, The Pure Stone
1x Grusbalesta, the Sealing Stone
2x Magic Stone of Moon Light
1x Magic Stone of Flame
1x Magic Stone of Darkness

Resonators(28)
4x Black Goat
4x The Hound of Tindalos
4x King in Yellow
4x Hastur, The Unspeakable
4x Elder Things
4x Shub- Niggurath, the Goddess of Fertility
2x Byakhee, The Winged Lady
2x, Yog-Sothoth, the Dark Myth

Normal Spells(12)
4x Thunder
4x Stoning to Death
4x Flame of the Outerworld

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Dec 26, 2015

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Failboattootoot posted:

I've played a couple multiplayer games now, 1 with 5 people and 1 with 3 and this game seems about as well suited to it as Magic circa the late 90's does. Which is to say it plays fine but it takes awhile. The 5 player game was 2 hours and the 3 player was an hour and 20 minutes. So, fun but about twice as long to play out as current Magic. This tickles my nostalgia bone but people who got into the game more recently are annoyed by it.

On another topic, I am thinking of picking up a couple of decks I saw on the internet. Wondering if these 2 decks are competent or if they are bad nonsense. Not looking for anything to sweep a tournament, just making sure they are cohesive or aren't missing any super obvious in-theme or just generally really good generic cards. Being moderately inefficient jank is ok too, the only decks they will likely play against are each other and the 7 starter decks so they don't need to be great.

U Wererabbits :japan:

Ruler:Little Red Riding Hood/Little Red the Wolf Girl

Magic Stone:
5 Magic Stone of Water
3 Magic Stone of Moon Shade
2 Magic Stone of Moon Light

Resonators:
4 Knight of the New Moon
4 Pilot of Universe
2 Yang Mage of Decrescent
2 Yin Mage of Increscent
4 Archer of the Crescent Moon
4 Campanella, the Milky Way Moon
4 Dark Shining Swordsman
4 Swordman of the Full Moon

Spells:
4 Rabbit Kick
4 Pale Moon
4 Tsukuyomi the Moon City

B/R Cthulus :zoid:

Ruler: Fiend of the Dark Pyre

Stones (10)
4x Stone of Scorched Bales
1x Little Red, The Pure Stone
1x Grusbalesta, the Sealing Stone
2x Magic Stone of Moon Light
1x Magic Stone of Flame
1x Magic Stone of Darkness

Resonators(28)
4x Black Goat
4x The Hound of Tindalos
4x King in Yellow
4x Hastur, The Unspeakable
4x Elder Things
4x Shub- Niggurath, the Goddess of Fertility
2x Byakhee, The Winged Lady
2x, Yog-Sothoth, the Dark Myth

Normal Spells(12)
4x Thunder
4x Stoning to Death
4x Flame of the Outerworld

pretty sure rasputin is still one of the best incarnate fodders in the game. Also anime-girl Nyarlathotep is really good for ripping your opponent's hand apart

e: also where your rukh eggs

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

pretty sure rasputin is still one of the best incarnate fodders in the game. Also anime-girl Nyarlathotep is really good for ripping your opponent's hand apart

e: also where your rukh eggs

Good suggestions since I skipped out on grabbing the expensive poo poo like fires of outer world and hastur.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Failboattootoot posted:

Good suggestions since I skipped out on grabbing the expensive poo poo like fires of outer world and hastur.

Wow. When did Hastur hit $5? I got them a while back for this same deck and they were like $0.50. :v:

As far as the deck goes I think it's dropped off in competetiveness A LOT with the new sets. You'll probably have to make a bunch of changes now.

Also yeah Rasputin and Resonator Nyarlathotep are both pretty good.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

I came in ninth (cut to top8 of course) at a 30ish person christmas ARG tournament today with a very standard R/R fairy list. Went 3-2 only losing to people that cut. It was my first time seriously playing the deck and it's a beast. If you can land Viviane turn 2 and keep her on the board for a turn it's crazy how easily you win.

Also in petty drama news the US head judge, who was running the event, said that the guy who got ninth was playing his pet deck (Yamata) when I definitely wasn't playing it and I don't think there was even a yamata deck in the whole 9-16th range. Kozmor is a weird guy.

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Dec 28, 2015

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Jeez, I'm having trouble finding places to even BUY the game, I'm jealous of anyone with organized play opportunities nearby.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Pokemon OH SNAP! posted:

I came in ninth (cut to top8 of course) at a 30ish person christmas ARG tournament today with a very standard R/R fairy list. Went 3-2 only losing to people that cut. It was my first time seriously playing the deck and it's a beast. If you can land Viviane turn 2 and keep her on the board for a turn it's crazy how easily you win.

Also in petty drama news the US head judge, who was running the event, said that the guy who got ninth was playing his pet deck (Yamata) when I definitely wasn't playing it and I don't think there was even a yamata deck in the whole 9-16th range. Kozmor is a weird guy.

Would you have a deck list for R/R faeries? I'd be interested to see what's in the sideboard as well :)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Well, I actually found out a store local to me does weekly tournaments! Now to buy a crapload of boosters and build a nice card base to build decks from.

Are there any decks other than Rezzard that have must-own cards (like Deathscythe in the above)?

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Ryoshi posted:

Well, I actually found out a store local to me does weekly tournaments! Now to buy a crapload of boosters and build a nice card base to build decks from.

Are there any decks other than Rezzard that have must-own cards (like Deathscythe in the above)?

The Light Deck for Arla and his Artemis bows, the Machina deck if you want a playset of Marybells and the Blue deck if you want some Shangri Las!

Someone mentioned it earlier too but these decks are solid ways to get into the game with the amount of Rare and Super-rare reprints in each.

Pokemon OH SNAP!
Oct 17, 2004

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Would you have a deck list for R/R faeries? I'd be interested to see what's in the sideboard as well :)

Sure, my list was:
4 Wind Sprite
4 Water Sprite
4 Flame Sprite
4 Light Sprite
4 Nimue
4 Viviane
3 Elaine
4 Protection of the Fairies
3 Change the World
2 Laevatinn
2 Sprint of the Beast Lady
2 Xeex

Stones:
4 Fairy's Memoria
4 Moon Shade
2 Gusting Skies

Sideboard:
4 Portal of Truth
2 Horn of the Beast Lady
3 Dream of Juliet
2 Barrier of Shadows
4 Demonflame

Got some downtime so I figured I'd comment on the list a bit. This was my first time playing against someone else since TTW released so I was a bit rusty and Fairies was my backup deck that I never really got around to getting as solid a grasp as I needed on.

I was severely under utilizing Change the World but it's a solid card in the deck. The sideboard hardly did anything,

I think Protection of the Seraph or Drop of Yggdrasil should probably go in the board. In a lot of matchups you can't get Vivienne to stick and so you need to start trying to go wide and it's really easy to get shut down and never recover.

Laevatinn is really amazing in this deck, being able to flip and bounce away a blocker was great as well as flip to tutor sprint or one more fairy to get that last stack of Vivienne's effect.

My first loss was to a very good Red Reflect player who knew fairies in and out and surgically kept me off my game as I was trying to figure out the deck. In retrospect I made a ton of misplays this game and the matchup isn't too bad. It was a brutal introduction to the deck though.

The second loss was to a cool Dark Alice deck that used his mulligan to get as much as discard as possible then with my hand empty he'd flip and the game would be over.

This is the Dark Alice list I lost to, looks fun:

Ruler: Girl in the Twilight Garb

Main Deck:
3x The Scorn of Dark Alice
3x Dark Alice’s Shadow Warrior
2x Elisabeth Shadow Princess of Blood
2x Artemis, the God’s Bow
2x Unseen Pressure
3x Stoning to Death
2x Recollection of Dystopia
3x Schrodinger, the Fallen Black Cat
3x Jeanne d’Arc, Shadow Princess of Purity
4x Dark Faria, Shadow Princess of Blood
3x Nyarlthotep, the Usurper
2x Spiral of Despair
2x Dark Alice’s Familiar
1x Dark Purge
2x Zero, the Magus of Null
2x Shadow Assassin
1x Laplacia the Demon of Fate

Stone Deck:
1x Little Red, the Pure Stone
1x Grusblesta, the Sealing Stone
8x Darkness Magic Stone

Sideboard:
1x Blazer Gill Rabus
1x Vlad Tepes
4x Death Scythe, the Life Reaper
1x Artemis, the God’s Bow
2x Arthur, the Dead Lord of Vengeance
2x Susanowo the Ten Fist Sword
2x Mephistopheles, the Abyssal Tyrant
1x Dark Purge
1x Zero the Magus of null

Pokemon OH SNAP! fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 29, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I've got to say, getting people to try out this game seems to be all about recommending the right ruler. The non-card game playing friend wanted ocean stuff that punched hard, so she got Valentina and loved it. Freeze Mage Hearthstone player didn't care for anyone until he got to play Vlad. And my cousin plays voltron decks and loved Valentina v2.

Also they've collectively limited how many games I can play Reflect & Refrain per session. :( Casual play groups I suppose.

• Locked thread