Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

I've got to say, getting people to try out this game seems to be all about recommending the right ruler. The non-card game playing friend wanted ocean stuff that punched hard, so she got Valentina and loved it. Freeze Mage Hearthstone player didn't care for anyone until he got to play Vlad. And my cousin plays voltron decks and loved Valentina v2.

Also they've collectively limited how many games I can play Reflect & Refrain per session. :( Casual play groups I suppose.

Obviously the answer is to play blazer gill and let them see how it feels to play without their ruler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
So, apparently the newest LGS in my area is owned by the FoW US event coordinator. Looks like this may be a game to try and get into...

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
If I have flipped Little Red Riding Hood/Little Red the Wolf Girl and she gets killed, does she go back to being a ruler at end of turn or does becoming astral cause the continuous effect to not trigger?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

If I have flipped Little Red Riding Hood/Little Red the Wolf Girl and she gets killed, does she go back to being a ruler at end of turn or does becoming astral cause the continuous effect to not trigger?

Astral Rulers lose all abilities except rest: call a stone, so no if she dies and does not have imperishable she's gone for good.

goth smoking cloves fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 1, 2016

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Failboattootoot posted:

Being an Astral ruler means the card loses all text and abilities, so the wolf girl won't transform back into Little Red Riding hood.

Ramos posted:

Also they've collectively limited how many games I can play Reflect & Refrain per session. :( Casual play groups I suppose.

Disclaimer: I have Reflect decks too

I do hope they errata Reflect/Refrain- it's just too powerful in that it really limits what decks can be played, it's too versatile and it ticks up way too fast since you can use it on your opponent's turn too. It's bad for the game in the long term like Jace, the Mindsculptor in Standard was, and literally most of the tournament top decks I've seen has them as the ruler which means there's no variety in the format.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

R&R really is just kind of too powerful, yeah. It's able to play aggro, tempo, control, and combo all at once with complete ease and at no cost to you. That said, I hope they just ban the card instead of trying to change it to be balanced, there's no one thing that puts R&R over the top and that's what's nuts about it.

If anything, the card reads as "This will lead to super cool decks if this game ever gets to having a refined eternal format", which I'm okay with. Considering what Magic's Legacy is like and Force of Will's starting power level, I can only imagine what a Legacy within Force of Will would be like.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca
ARG Nationals Top 16, 15 out of 16 decks played Reflect/Refrain :ghost:

Here's a question- in the Comprehensive Rules you can't call for a Magic Stone if your Ruler's performed judgement (section 7.11), but in (sec. 7.5) it states that you can perform Judgement if they have a recovered Ruler. I'm pretty sure this mean you can call for a Magic Stone with R/R, then recover it with Change the World to perform Judgement all in the same turn?

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

So I just got into this game last week with some friends, and read this. I guess, why is this card still legal? Is there really a reason to play any other Ruler?

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Tamagod Sushi posted:

ARG Nationals Top 16, 15 out of 16 decks played Reflect/Refrain :ghost:

Here's a question- in the Comprehensive Rules you can't call for a Magic Stone if your Ruler's performed judgement (section 7.11), but in (sec. 7.5) it states that you can perform Judgement if they have a recovered Ruler. I'm pretty sure this mean you can call for a Magic Stone with R/R, then recover it with Change the World to perform Judgement all in the same turn?

Change the World can only untap a J/Ruler, not a Ruler, so you can't untap Reflect with it to Judgement into Refrain after calling a stone.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Is the difference between Stealth and a regular standby Trigger that Stealth doesn't require you to pay the card's cost when it flips and enters play? If so is the printed cost of the card just what it takes to play straight to the field instead?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ryoshi posted:

Is the difference between Stealth and a regular standby Trigger that Stealth doesn't require you to pay the card's cost when it flips and enters play? If so is the printed cost of the card just what it takes to play straight to the field instead?

Stealth and Standby both cost 2 will to put face down. Stealth cards can then be played if their trigger is met, no additional catches. Standby can be played if the trigger is met and you've got the "color" requirements based on what stones you have out. So two darkness stones out, even if they're rested, will let you flip Death Sentence from the Queen. The main difference is that stealth is on resonators due to rules technically not allowing that for standby cards.

And yeah, the regular cost for a Stealth resonator is how much you need to pay to just straight play them without the stealth.

OssiansFolly posted:

So I just got into this game last week with some friends, and read this. I guess, why is this card still legal? Is there really a reason to play any other Ruler?

Not really. I'm patiently waiting for R&R to happily get banned and I opened a full art version at prerelease.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Not really. I'm patiently waiting for R&R to happily get banned and I opened a full art version at prerelease.

So, at this time are there resources for me to look at building a deck that doesn't involve R/R, or should I wait this out to start playing?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, if you're looking to go competitive, there is a Vlad deck in that top 16 list. That said, if you're looking to just play with friends, pick up a starter deck that looks nice and just roll with it. The starter decks hold a number of staple cards and give you several strong tools to get started with. They all also play very well with one another and I've been having plenty of fun with my friends just bumping the starter decks against one another.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Well, if you're looking to go competitive, there is a Vlad deck in that top 16 list. That said, if you're looking to just play with friends, pick up a starter deck that looks nice and just roll with it. The starter decks hold a number of staple cards and give you several strong tools to get started with. They all also play very well with one another and I've been having plenty of fun with my friends just bumping the starter decks against one another.

Yea, I tried the Machina deck and was just womped on by my friends running a 4 Beasts deck and a Fairy deck. Was hoping to hobble something together to just not lose in such a glorious fashion...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Ah, got it. Well, if you're looking to improve on Machina's deck, an important thing to remember is that you want to carve out your hand to allow for a ridiculous amount of burst. Machina takes a while to set up with the four cost judgement, but when he does, putting down three guys possibly followed by March of the Machine Lord can be incredibly punishing for an overly aggressive deck by just instantly ending the game or destroying their forces. That said, the early game is rather shaky, so some removal would be good. Thunder, Flame King's Shout, Demonflame, Shadowflame, etc.

Keep in mind, if nothing else, you can always grab more dudes before flipping him with his ruler ability. Also, prioritize playing your non-machine resonators first since Machina's ability doesn't work with properly colored resonators.

If that doesn't do it for you, is there any kind of strategy that you're used to playing from previous card games?

Ramos fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 4, 2016

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Ramos posted:

Stealth and Standby both cost 2 will to put face down. Stealth cards can then be played if their trigger is met, no additional catches. Standby can be played if the trigger is met and you've got the "color" requirements based on what stones you have out.

Just an FYI Standby cards no longer require you to have the color appropriate stones to play them from the Standby area.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Ah, got it. Well, if you're looking to improve on Machina's deck, an important thing to remember is that you want to carve out your hand to allow for a ridiculous amount of burst. Machina takes a while to set up with the four cost judgement, but when he does, putting down three guys possibly followed by March of the Machine Lord can be incredibly punishing for an overly aggressive deck by just instantly ending the game or destroying their forces. That said, the early game is rather shaky, so some removal would be good. Thunder, Flame King's Shout, Demonflame, Shadowflame, etc.

Keep in mind, if nothing else, you can always grab more dudes before flipping him with his ruler ability. Also, prioritize playing your non-machine resonators first since Machina's ability doesn't work with properly colored resonators.

If that doesn't do it for you, is there any kind of strategy that you're used to playing from previous card games?

I play lots of EDH, so I know the basis of midrange, aggro, etc.

Is there an easy Red Aggro type deal floating around? Until I learn the basics I figure turning dudes sideways is usually easy...

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

awesomebrah posted:

Just an FYI Standby cards no longer require you to have the color appropriate stones to play them from the Standby area.

Cool, good to know.

OssiansFolly posted:

Is there an easy Red Aggro type deal floating around? Until I learn the basics I figure turning dudes sideways is usually easy...

Red ridiculously good in this game, so yeah, several. Pick a favorite and try googling around for deck lists.

Apostle of Creation/Cain, the Traitor of Gods
Sylvia Gill Palarilias
Little Red Riding Hood/the Wolf Girl
Falltgold, the Dragoon/Bahamut, the Dragon King

They all come with their ups and downs that I can't give you the fine details about because I don't play that much red aggro. That said, I've gotten my rear end handed to me by each of these, so none of them are a bad option. Several of Machina's red cards also work beautifully with each of them.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Cool, good to know.

Red ridiculously good in this game, so yeah, several. Pick a favorite and try googling around for deck lists.

Apostle of Creation/Cain, the Traitor of Gods
Sylvia Gill Palarilias
Little Red Riding Hood/the Wolf Girl
Falltgold, the Dragoon/Bahamut, the Dragon King

They all come with their ups and downs that I can't give you the fine details about because I don't play that much red aggro. That said, I've gotten my rear end handed to me by each of these, so none of them are a bad option. Several of Machina's red cards also work beautifully with each of them.

Are all of these "Standard" legal? Not sure if my friends are following that guideline, but want to make sure just in case.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

There are in fact several mono red/almost mono red decks in the link a few posts above. The core of the red decks usually looks like this:

4x Hunter in Black Forest
4x Flame Sprite
4x Lancelot, the Knight of Mad Demon
4x Cthuga, the Living Flame
4x Thunder
0-3x Split Heaven and Earth
2-4x Purifying Fire

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

awesomebrah posted:

There are in fact several mono red/almost mono red decks in the link a few posts above. The core of the red decks usually looks like this:

4x Hunter in Black Forest
4x Flame Sprite
4x Lancelot, the Knight of Mad Demon
4x Cthuga, the Living Flame
4x Thunder
0-3x Split Heaven and Earth
2-4x Purifying Fire

Your forgot some number of guin and rukh eggs

Also this is my deck except with 4 heat rays for percival and 4 blasting waves for change the world draw a card.

Yes I play price of progress with nothing but nonbasic stones.

Another thing new players probably should know is that you almost always play 1 Little Red, the Pure stone since its so free

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

OssiansFolly posted:

Are all of these "Standard" legal? Not sure if my friends are following that guideline, but want to make sure just in case.

All are currently standard legal.

Also, as they mentioned, Rukh Egg and Guinevere is stupid good.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

A big flaming stink posted:

Your forgot some number of guin and rukh eggs

Also this is my deck except with 4 heat rays for percival and 4 blasting waves for change the world draw a card.

Yes I play price of progress with nothing but nonbasic stones.

Another thing new players probably should know is that you almost always play 1 Little Red, the Pure stone since its so free

I wouldn't say every red deck runs guin and Rukh eggs because some of the lists I've seen are too fast to get that engine going.

Also yes if you are running red you should definitely have a Little Red in your stone deck.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Tanon posted:

Change the World can only untap a J/Ruler, not a Ruler, so you can't untap Reflect with it to Judgement into Refrain after calling a stone.

Good catch- always forgot how a Slash versus a Dash makes such a big difference! :haw:

OssiansFolly posted:

In addition to what everyone says Syliva is a really powerful ruler if you're just playing casually, and helps fix your mana in a FIre/Wind deck, or if you like something a bit more midrange-y Arla knights is very good too for tournaments.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Tamagod Sushi posted:

Good catch- always forgot how a Slash versus a Dash makes such a big difference! :haw:

In addition to what everyone says Syliva is a really powerful ruler if you're just playing casually, and helps fix your mana in a FIre/Wind deck, or if you like something a bit more midrange-y Arla knights is very good too for tournaments.

I've been looking up Little Red Riding Hood and agro decks. I see some interesting combos and how this works, but man I wasn't expecting some of these card prices! That Little Red Pure Stone is like $25!

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, that's mostly because every single deck ever can basically run that card and has no reason to not do so aside from budget reasons. I wouldn't worry too much using it for casual play.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Well, that's mostly because every single deck ever can basically run that card and has no reason to not do so aside from budget reasons. I wouldn't worry too much using it for casual play.

That is good to know. I am just dipping my toe into the water and some of these cards seem pricey!

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

OssiansFolly posted:

I've been looking up Little Red Riding Hood and agro decks. I see some interesting combos and how this works, but man I wasn't expecting some of these card prices! That Little Red Pure Stone is like $25!

Please keep in mind that you only ever need one in any deck you play it in.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Also see That loving Cat for a 20$ 4-of staple

GaryLeeLoveBuckets
May 8, 2009

Tanon posted:

So, apparently the newest LGS in my area is owned by the FoW US event coordinator. Looks like this may be a game to try and get into...

Are you talking about CLG in Beaumont? He's an old friend of mine and for the prerelease of the new set one of the guys from Japan was there handing out super rare promos to everyone playing in the midnight event. It's a good shop with a good community, the FoW group especially is growing.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

GaryLeeLoveBuckets posted:

Are you talking about CLG in Beaumont? He's an old friend of mine and for the prerelease of the new set one of the guys from Japan was there handing out super rare promos to everyone playing in the midnight event. It's a good shop with a good community, the FoW group especially is growing.

Yup. I live in the middle of nowhere, but that's where all the LGSes are. I'm the only MTG L1 in the area, so I went to talk with them about those tournaments, and ended up talking FoW for like an hour plus. Got me interested and I've started research and think I'm gonna get hooked. Also talking about learning the system and being a judge in this system too.

Also, Chesire Cat is like 40 bucks on Tcgplayer right now. What the Christ.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Thirty bucks for the regular one, about sixty bucks for the full art one, and a whomping nineties dollars for the pantless "misprint".

But yeah, it's essentially a mythic rare utility card. If you're running blue, you probably want four of him, he does a mini-brainstorm, serves as a free blocker, and is reusable. He's just really, really good.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I am so torn between grabbing a playset now or waiting for rotation and hoping for a price drop.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
At least there's only a handful of stupid expensive cards in this game and most of them come from the sets where every Rare/Super Rare was only available in Foil. :v:

I hope it can continue the trend of being as fun to play as it is and also nowhere near as expensive as Magic into the future.

Failboattootoot posted:

I am so torn between grabbing a playset now or waiting for rotation and hoping for a price drop.

I'm not really sure how popular the Eternal format for FoW is. Especially in America since 2 whole sets didn't get released here.

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

Cernunnos posted:

I'm not really sure how popular the Eternal format for FoW is. Especially in America since 2 whole sets didn't get released here.

I thought it was 3 sets? Anyway I hope they figure out a way to get some of the Valhalla cards in the hands of American player if only because Loki vs. Agni vs. Reflect sound super fun.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

awesomebrah posted:

I thought it was 3 sets? Anyway I hope they figure out a way to get some of the Valhalla cards in the hands of American player if only because Loki vs. Agni vs. Reflect sound super fun.

I just looked up Loki and it kind of boggles the mind just how very powerful that card is. The other two are good, but assuming the game goes on long enough, the only thing that will keep Loki in check is probably going to be a free counterspell like Force of Will.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
the free counterspell in FoW is going to be named Gathering of Magic

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

awesomebrah posted:

Is there errata for this somewhere? And does that mean that all Chant Standby cards are effectively 2 colorless cost (ignoring any specific trigger costs)?

goth smoking cloves
Feb 28, 2011

I can't find any official errata but if you read the CR entry for standby it makes no mention of needing any particular stones and this is the interpretation most of the people in the US Facebook group have gone with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I looked up the comprehensive rules on the main site. There's nothing about color requirements anywhere. I suppose it makes sense with stealth now having text like "You must control a darkness stone".

• Locked thread