Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Terrene posted:

Cool, thanks for the info. Game seems fun, but still pretty scarce in my parts. Hopefully that'll change in time.

Also, for the record, how limited might be done changes from store to store and preference of the person running the event. You can either use clockwork ruler or you might end up having to choose from one of the five new rulers of the set.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Hoi, spoilers.

The article.

The cards. The only new one is the second one.

Also, the fourth set for the cluster has been announced:

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
So uh

why the hell is no one talking about Athena?
A hasty 3 drop that gets bigger every time you take damage, and she can enable this by burning your opponent.

You can think you have stabilized against your red opponent then they drop this and kill you on the spot.

Jesus the card is good

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

She's solid but not amazing. One red for 100 damage is a terrible rate for burn in FoW. Always think of her second ability as a bonus for a late game top deck, a la Lancelot. In fact, just think of her as Lancelot because for the most part, she's just a three drop with efficient stats.

She lacks evasion as well, so unless your opponent is totally out of blockers, you're probably not going to be getting a huge burst of damage either. Your best bet then would be Flame King's Shout but that doesn't even clear out medium and larger blockers. The best case scenario is you're probably going to have a row of Artemis's to get rid of any blocker that ends up in front of her. And no opponent in his or her right mind will just let her sit there and grow. Just about every competitive deck is running something that will knock her flat with relative ease.

Basically, you're playing her in a red aggro deck and if you've got enough will to abuse her activated ability the turn she comes into play, something has gone horribly wrong and you're not likely to win that match anyway. More likely she's going to be your turn four or five drop that just so happens to be 900/900 or 1100/1100, which I might add doesn't typically live up to normal four or five drop levels of power. So she's solid, not amazing, treat her like you would Lancelot. Efficient resonator with a nice upside.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
You say all those things like Lance isn't just the best resonator in the game. Athena is not quite as good or as efficient as Lance, but she is extremely powerful in the red decks, and she gives them very swift inevitability when you consider that the vast majority of removal in the game is damage based, and she quickly grows out of range of it.

That being said, it seems like we're moving toward a more controlling meta in some ways, so we'll see.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Well, Lancelot may not be quite the best, but yeah, Athena's really good. Just keep it a secret so I can pick up her play set for four dollars.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Who's a better resonator than Lance? Honestly, I'm just curious as to what your opinion is.

Also, anyone who's interested, Jordan is about to do an unboxing of The Moonlit Savior like, right now, on twitch.tv/fowtcgjapan. Check it out if you can.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Tanon posted:

Who's a better resonator than Lance? Honestly, I'm just curious as to what your opinion is.

Also, anyone who's interested, Jordan is about to do an unboxing of The Moonlit Savior like, right now, on twitch.tv/fowtcgjapan. Check it out if you can.

Thanks Tanon for linking this! I won a signed Keeper of the Future, Skuld off his stream, which is cool.

Pretty hyped for the set, going to be jamming Alisaris all the way.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tanon posted:

In all honesty? Adombrali. It's a really diverse card that's useful at every stage of the game. It also looks to only get more useful as we move into the third set where it actively hates on what is going to be a super popular ruler, draws me more cards for cheap in my Alice's World deck, helps set up Turbo Gwibers with the green mode, and has solid stats.

It might just be my need for tricksier sort of cards though that makes me biased towards him over Lancelot.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..

Samael posted:

Thanks Tanon for linking this! I won a signed Keeper of the Future, Skuld off his stream, which is cool.

Pretty hyped for the set, going to be jamming Alisaris all the way.

Congrats man! It's a fun experience watching this.

EDIT: I really wanted the Primo he opened :(

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.
Had fun at the prerelease thingy today. This game is NOT good for the sealed format, but I came in first with the jankiest thing in the world. Can't wait to build around the new Red JRuler.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

So, I've been doing some brewing since prerelease with Lumia now that the time goddesses give me a quick and dirty way to throw the goods into exile and ultimately came up with this deck so far:

It was originally just a white and red deck list but that didn't give enough ways to lock out the late game. The idea is that I have a common suite of removal spells that come in multiples so I'm not sitting dead in the water in the early game. Thunder, Light of Lumia, Flame of Outer World, Wall of Wind, and Seal of Wind and Light, all instant speed so I can pick and choose threats as they pop in. Artemis is a bonus since it's a zero cost bump up in terms of damage for at least two of my spells against aggro decks.

The rest of the deck is dedicated to a wide variety of singleton answers to specific situations, mostly brought online via Hydromonica and occasionally Rukh Egg. With Knight of the New Moon, I'm able to fetch whatever I need at instant speed in the mid to late game. In particular though, I'll always eventually go for Deathscythe and Space-Time Anomaly. Deathscythe is a good engine for Lumia since between it and Knight of the New Moon, you can discard it, empty out your graveyard into exile, and bring it back to your hand for steady card advantage. Space-Time Anomaly is a special case where, once Lumia is flipped, you can use it up to three times per turn if it starts in your graveyard. That's a lot of card advantage in the late game to pull you out of whatever you might currently be buried in.

I don't really have any sideboard at the moment, but the main deck is currently tech'd out to deal with R&R and Yggdrasil decks, which are kind of running rampant in my meta. I figure for the actual J-Rulers with stats, like Bahamut, I'll need to make a good chunk of room for Crime and Punishment and probably two more Seals of Wind and Light to deal with the inevitable Split Heaven and Earth.

I'm also considering just tossing out Skuld as she's not guaranteed as a 2 for 1 and by the time her swiftness comes online, the board is fully under my control anyway. Urthr, on the other hand, is solid gold and particularly synergistic with Light of Lumia. It only costs 2 for me but is worth a full 4 mana, making it an easy 8 damage and then some with Urthr.

I don't know, just felt like sharing, the deck is nowhere near done though.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Does anyone know of a good way to flatten out foil cards? I've noticed several of my cards have a significant and very noticeable bend, especially noticeable on the full-art cards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Randalor posted:

Does anyone know of a good way to flatten out foil cards? I've noticed several of my cards have a significant and very noticeable bend, especially noticeable on the full-art cards.

Sleeve it and stick it in a big heavy book, like a college textbook or a dictionary, for a few days.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I come bearing news.

http://fowtcg.com/movie/

It works in chrome, not firefox. Just in case, here is the image anyway:

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Sun Wukong vs Cthulhu? So I guess this means Nyarlathotep succeeded after all in awakening him?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Oh, you mean there's an actual Cthulhu in the story instead of just everything like that being called a cthulhu?

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

Ramos posted:

Oh, you mean there's an actual Cthulhu in the story instead of just everything like that being called a cthulhu?

still waiting for Nyarlathotep/Azathoth J-Ruler

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Got aq foil Laevateinn, the demon sword, and I was wondering if the special foil job meant anything, It covers Text and I was wondering if this was normal for some cards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

That's a stamped full art Laevateinn and that just means it's ~extra rare~. It's currently on the market for six dollars at its lowest price. Compare that to a regular one, which is 1.60 at its lowest price, so it'd probably make decent trade fodder.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

So, a continuation to what I said earlier in the thread, I acquired my signed skuld today from the guy who twitch streamed the box opening and in the envelope I also found...

Cheshire Cats! :catstare:

Pussy Snorkel
Sep 12, 2008

With the Pussy Snorkel, any man can be a dive master.

Samael posted:

So, a continuation to what I said earlier in the thread, I acquired my signed skuld today from the guy who twitch streamed the box opening and in the envelope I also found...

Cheshire Cats! :catstare:

Nice!

I had a line on some cheap full art Italian cats but I just couldn't pull the trigger. The language bothers me. :(

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Yeah, Jordan always talks about the stacks and stacks of Cats they have around the office. He tries to give them out whenever he has a chance, which is pretty cool of him.

Also, the Kaguya 1.0 deck is really, really good. I played Alice's World against it and went 2-7 in games played. Both my games won were on the play with nutty turn 2 Gwiber draws.

numerrik
Jul 15, 2009

Falcon Punch!

Fairies! I can do a fairy deck! I am happy I got a box of ttw as a work out motivator, though it is now more of a get me through work without quitting device. Here's to more lady of the lakes.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
By the way, is R/R red rush still running rampant in this game? Athena seemed like a really sick addition to the deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

The main big decks at the moment are R&R Alice's World, R&R Red Rush, and R&R Necromancy Combo. Bahamut is also there blowing people out with Split Heaven and Earth on occasion. Here's the top Hawaii AGP decks.

Me? I'm just working on Kaguya Stax at the moment.

1 Friend from Another World, Kaguya / Kaguya, the Moonlit Savior

Main Deck
4 Bloody Moon
4 Moon Incarnation
1 Holy Moon of Pure Nights
4 Wall of Wind
4 Interdimensional Vessel, Apollo
1 Horn of Sacred Beasts
3 Heavenly Instrument, Hydromonica
4 Genesis Creation
4 Tsukuyomi Noble
4 Cheshire Cat, the Grinning Remnant
2 Arthur Pendragon, King of the Round Table
4 Moonbreeze Elf
1 Silencing Spell

Stone Deck
1 Magic Stone of Moon Light
1 Little Red, the Pure Stone
1 Magic Stone of Deep Wood
4 Magic Stone of Moon Shade
3 ruler's memoria

Sideboard
4 Magic Matchstick
4 The Little Match Girl
4 Barrier of Shadows
3 Silencing Spell

Loses to basic stones almost instantly.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Okay, so I finally (after asking you guys and looking around) built a deck. I tested it last night and will detail my experiences and my thoughts on changes I want to make. Suggestions appreciated.

Resinators:

4x Cheshire Cat, the Grinning Remnant
4x Rukh Egg
4x Hera, Goddess of Jealousy
4x Adombrali, the Unfathomable
4x Keeper of the Future, Skald
2x Hastur, the Unspeakable
2x Fallen Angelic Destroyer, Lucifer
1x Susanowo, the Ten-Fist Sword

Regalia:

4x Orb of Disaster, Ifrit Glass

Spells:

4x Flame of Outer World
4x Thunder
1x Blazing Metropolis, Vell-Savaria
2x Fetal Movement in Outer World

Stones:

1x Little Red, the Pure Stone
1x Disaster’s Memoria
4x Magic Stone of Scorched Bales
4x Magic Stone of Hearth’s Core

Sideboard:

4xBarrier of Shadows
4xNyarlathotep, the Usurper
3xLaevateinn, the Demon Sword

Last night I got trounced by Tree Ruler Faeries, and an Incarnation Blazer deck. For Faeries I just had nothing I could do once he dropped an Addition to prevent me from targeting his resonators, then regalia to prevent targeting him and then another addition to prevent resonators from taking damage. I sided in my Nyarlathoteps and pulled Hera out since she was useless. Still lost as I couldn't stop him from abusing Muse and Arthur... The next match with Blazer sucked because I just didn't have pressure to attack. He was killing my stuff as fast I as I was killing his. I think the first match I needed to use Orb more to get what I needed. Second match sucked because I started with 1 Rukh, 2 Cheshire, 1 Skuld and 1 Flame, but my first 3 stones were all Red/Black...because I didn't have the draw engine I couldn't get to Nyarlathotep fast enough to stop him from playing Blazer and starting that engine.

Changes:

I think I should remove all the Hera and put 2 Nyarlathotep and 2 Blazer, the Eater of Dimensions in main board. I can keep Hera in the side board in case I need it for a deck, but I just saw her wasted when I was playing last night.

Thoughts? Suggestions? (Yes I know R/R is still the go to, but I just play locally with friends and none of us really want to use R/R unless we do something competitive like when we go to Pittsburgh this month)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Faeries flop over if you hit them with Flame King's Shout or any other board wipe. Just pack some of those in your sideboard. Muse is just a matter of hitting her with the appropriate kill spell, always know what targets are important with your Flame of Outer World. Arthur you can sideboard Portal of Truth for or run some banishing effects.

As for Blazer, it sounds like can't really sustain board control. Try out Urthr, the goddess of the past. The fact that she doubles the numbers of whatever cards you exile from your graveyard does wonders for helping her kill stuff and then stay on board as a threatening body.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Ramos posted:

Faeries flop over if you hit them with Flame King's Shout or any other board wipe. Just pack some of those in your sideboard. Muse is just a matter of hitting her with the appropriate kill spell, always know what targets are important with your Flame of Outer World. Arthur you can sideboard Portal of Truth for or run some banishing effects.

As for Blazer, it sounds like can't really sustain board control. Try out Urthr, the goddess of the past. The fact that she doubles the numbers of whatever cards you exile from your graveyard does wonders for helping her kill stuff and then stay on board as a threatening body.

I like the Portal of Truth idea. It never clicked with me that I didn't need G to cast it. I can pay 2 void and put it in the Standby.

I like these ideas. I am going to use these ideas. Thanks!

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Do you think I could get away with trying to build a G/R Burn style deck using Vlad? Probably run 4 G/B Stones and things like Split, Thunder, Rukh Egg, Flame of Outer World and stuff to stall that initial Red Rush long enough to burn down the opponent?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

I'm going to go with no. The reason why is because Vlad's able to gain a ton of life in the late game thanks to tons of stones. If you're rushing to burn out your opponent, you're not going to be able to take advantage of that nearly as much.

That said, I'm not one to say no to experimenting.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

http://fowtcg.com/news/battle-for-attoractia-preview-article-1-memories-of-champions-light/

We've got spoilers. Most notable thing is that Memoria of the Seven Lands is a five color ruler which means that Socrates is an automatic 1400/1400 with it. For three will.

Tamagod Sushi
Oct 26, 2009

One Bad Muthapaca

Ramos posted:

http://fowtcg.com/news/battle-for-attoractia-preview-article-1-memories-of-champions-light/

We've got spoilers. Most notable thing is that Memoria of the Seven Lands is a five color ruler which means that Socrates is an automatic 1400/1400 with it. For three will.

That's awesome and all but I'm guessing this wasn't intended by the design team, much like how Illusionary Demonic Sphere is a literal Mox with Ryoma Sakamoto in play :allears:

Flip cards look interesting, but I'm not sure how good they are when you opponent can respond to your Sorcery Speed transform with a Kill spell.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Yeah, though the meta at this point involves a lot of tapping out, so they'll be safer than they look. Plus, at least with this card, shift looks to be something you do when you've got will to spare in the late game. A kind of dual colored card that's accessible to people after dual stones rotate out.

And yeah, there's no way Socrates was intentional. Whoever designed Vingolf 1 was not on the main design team.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
It's still really bad in the face of what we have now though. I mean, we have a 1 will 14/14 flyer, no reason for anything else to see play ;)

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Tanon posted:

It's still really bad in the face of what we have now though. I mean, we have a 1 will 14/14 flyer, no reason for anything else to see play ;)

14/14 flyer that magically gets its face kicked in by a man named Sue.

http://fowtcg.com/news/2412/

http://www.grinningremnant.com/battle-attoractia-spoilers/

Red spoilers. Two people in the chat I hang out in immediately assumed that dragon to have swiftness. Spoiler season blindness strikes again.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
Alice cluster for AGPs starting in Collinsville. Facebook salt is real.

I'll be at Charlotte, Collinsville, Kissimmee, and Providence if anyone wants to say hi, also.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Egh, talk about poor handling. With the Wanderer format recently becoming a thing, this all reeks of a convenient way to not have to ban the single most problematic card in the format.

Tanon
Mar 14, 2011

I has a hat..
The company wouldn't let Rob ban RR. Plain and simple. People constantly bitched about NF being stale, so they implemented a change to allow for a fresher, more diverse format.

The company is aces at making poor decision and letting Rob eat the blame for it, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Did anyone say anything to lend credence to that? I mean, I believe it, they probably think that as bad as the situation is now, it'll get resolved with the next set or something.

Speaking of which:

http://fowtcg.com/news/battle-for-attoractia-preview-article-3-memories-of-champions-watervoid/

http://fowtcg.com/news/battle-for-attoractia-preview-article-4-memories-of-champions-wind/

Arla's brought in the anti R&R angel.

...I don't think she's good enough.

• Locked thread