Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

adol is about to fall off a boat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Unbelievable.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Evil Eagle posted:

Unbelievable.

He was about to fall off but he grabbed onto the railing but then he wound up falling off, and then an anime OP with I can only assume a killer shredding song playing because I don't have headphones with me. It's a Ys game baby

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Thanks to the wonders of modern technology though instead of that being the first 30 seconds of the game it's the first 45 minutes with fully voiced cutscenes and walking around the boat learning how to move the camera. It does look remarkably better than Celceta from what I remember of that game though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The same system as they've been using since Seven, by the way. Four skills for the four face button, levelling up skills, upgrading equipment from stuff you find in the field, party system with skills per specific weapons etc. it doesn't run flawlessly on a vita sadly but I bet the PS4 version will be 60fps because it looks like a PS2 game

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I got stuck in a room and I can't figure out what I need to do. My complete lack of understanding of Japanese has finally caught up to me

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Never mind I figured it out. It was trying to get me do one of the new modes, a wave based monster battle point defense thing like DQ Heroes that ranks you on speed, damage taken, kills, special moves etc and you get specific rewards for the different ranks. This game is dense and they keep showing off new gameplay stuff nearly 4 hours in , and I still only have 3 party members.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also I was wrong about skills, they're not weapon based, it's either a level requirement or killing certain enemies. They just pop up randomly in battle that somebody learned a new skill

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

One of the playable dudes in this guy is a mysterious loner who wears a purple top hat and wields a musket +bayonet and his moveset is loving badass. He has a King Allant style slide and stab and if you get the hit with the bayonet tip it stops the enemy for a split second before they loving explode. It's epic

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

mysterious loyall X posted:

mage guy is worse than axe girl iirc

i never finished origin with him

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

adol and the orange haired girl (I'm fairly certain she's a tsundere because of the bright hair and she's the only character who blushes and yells) were having a heartfelt conversation I thought, in a crows nest facing the clear moonlit sky and the orange haired girl nodded and a large image of a Chicago style deep dish pizza appeared on screen.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

About 8 hours and 30% map completion btw, so they seem to be pretty spot on with the 30 hour estimation

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

In Training posted:

adol and the orange haired girl (I'm fairly certain she's a tsundere because of the bright hair and she's the only character who blushes and yells) were having a heartfelt conversation I thought, in a crows nest facing the clear moonlit sky and the orange haired girl nodded and a large image of a Chicago style deep dish pizza appeared on screen.

nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

i started playing origin again today because I wanted to finish a game for once, which i havent managed to do in weeks. im up to the fire boss with toal, hes a lot of fun. i also looked at what it takes to get 100% in this game and its insane, beat nightmare mode with all 3 characters and beat the game 3 more times in EX mode and then do boss rush on every difficulty with every character etc.

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

nightmare mode in felgahana was a bit rear end iirc

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

hard is where I stick with for Ys, nightmare just isn't fun usually.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oh also Ys VIII has an insane amount f dialogue compared to previous games. Kinda annoying when I can't read any of it but also can't skip it because the context clues from the cutscenes is the only way I can figure out what to do next

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

there's a 10+ minute cutscenes at the end of Ys VIII where adol talks to a tree

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I finished the game and it was awesome from beginning to end even with all the talking. I hope there's some post game stuff that unlocks because I ended at 95% map and missing some villagers. It could have been sidequests that I missed because I can't read Japanese

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

I finished the game and it was awesome from beginning to end even with all the talking. I hope there's some post game stuff that unlocks because I ended at 95% map and missing some villagers. It could have been sidequests that I missed because I can't read Japanese

Did you get the basic idea of the plot? is it "Adol travels to new place, slips on banana peel, lands neck deep in adventure?"

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Did you get the basic idea of the plot? is it "Adol travels to new place, slips on banana peel, lands neck deep in adventure?"

2/3rds of the game doesn't even have a bad guy or a story. You crash your boat on an island (lol) and all the survivors get together to rebuild and explore the island and tucked away behind acres of jungles and mines you find an ancient city and Dana stuck in a tree so she wakes up and you help her save her village by time traveling and then you come back and get back on a boat.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I went back to the game and tried to do as much side stuff as I could find and there's one spot left on the map I can't reach and I'm going to sit at 96% completion until next year when I have to start back over 0. Also once you finish the game they unlock a boatload of the wave based encounters which seems to be where they're housing all the post game super bosses.

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
I cant wait, it looks real good

mysterious loyall X
Jul 8, 2003

i thought i'd inish origins but it reads the dual shock 4 l2 and r2 as analog inputs so it makes the game think up + right is held all the time and i can't seem to turn it off in ds4 win oops

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

i thought i'd inish origins but it reads the dual shock 4 l2 and r2 as analog inputs so it makes the game think up + right is held all the time and i can't seem to turn it off in ds4 win oops

I played origins twice with a ds4 and didn't have this problem. I use InputMapper

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm pretty sure InputMapper installs Russian malware though so use at your own risk

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
just started Ys I&II, I got the first book and now I just keep walking around in circles in this fuckin cave D:

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
amazing music, as if everyone didn't already know

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdMU0rZjOog

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
I'm in Darm Tower and I got four books thus far. game is moving at a pretty brisk pace

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys games are all pretty short, tight games, except for 7 and VIII, which are pretty big rear end games.

mycophobia
May 7, 2008
so cuz mednafen for Wii is extremely buggy and crashes all the time I can't finish Ys II so I decieded to get Ys I & II Chronicles from GOG. it's super different, like Ys I has a whole new town and overworld area before you even get to Minea and the original Ys I overworld, and everything is like waaay bigger. the roda tree was maybe four tiles on the tg16 game overworld whereas it gets its own screen in this game. game looks and sounds really good, but there's a ton of input lag, which really doesn't matter a whole lot in a game like this, just kinda annoying. levelling feels more significant in this one too.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

check this out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXZjECvcm78

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

this thread reminded me i never finished ys origins with the third guy and it is good

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Turning a shipwreck into the plot and setting of a game sounds peak ys. How was the soundtrack?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump because falcom had some event in Japan and confirmed 2017 western release of Ys VIII for PS4!!!!

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

In Training posted:

Bump because falcom had some event in Japan and confirmed 2017 western release of Ys VIII for PS4!!!!

Nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bump again with new details, including: Ys VIII will have a simultaneous PC release with PS4/Vita http://gematsu.com/2017/02/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-ps4-ps-vita-pc-coming-west-2017

Hizke
Feb 14, 2010
Nightwolve is going to kill somebody over this.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

I feel like I want to play an Ys game all of a sudden and I don't quite know why

Only one I've played is Origin and that one I finished three times 'cos it was Good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

I feel like I want to play an Ys game all of a sudden and I don't quite know why

Only one I've played is Origin and that one I finished three times 'cos it was Good

Oath in Felghana is also some good poo poo with the same combat system as Origin.

• Locked thread