Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This is the thread for talking about criminally overlooked gaming series Ys. These games are defined by their high speed action and extremely responsive and great feeling movement options that evolve and bloom over the course of the game. Ys has a long and weird history covering like 12 consoles and 30 years, and nearly every game has been made and rereleased and remade but here's the basic breakdown.

Ys I+II: bundled together, old rear end MSX/PC-88 games where you bump into enemies from one of 8 directions to damage them. They are actually quite good even know considering the speed of movement and combat and nice difficulty curve. I wouldn't really start with these but they are fun.

Ys III AKA Ys: The Oath in Felghana: absolutely awesome game and its on sale all the time on steam. Awesome music, awesome game, just a ton of fun.

Ys IV AKA Ys: Memories of Celceta: Originally two different games called Ys IV, but neither was actually made by the people who made Ys I through III. SO they recently revisited it and made a Vita exclusive reimagining. Includes a party for the first time and has a huge variety of weapons and skills. A must have for every vita owner, and worth picking up for PSTV (which are like 20 bucks) to play if you can.

Ys V: I don't know anything about this one. It was a Super Famicom game that got rereleased on PS2 in Japan only. COuld be an epic game waiting to be discovered.

Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim: I have this in my steam library bu thaven't played it yet.

Ys Origin: the first PC only Ys game since the early 80s when Ys I/II were first developed. Currently playing this now and it definitely feels smaller in scope than other Ys games (at least in the art design) but it has 3 playable characters, each with their own storyline and an insane amount of post game content.

Ys Seven: PSP only, but you can buy it on Vita. I will be playing it this holiday.

Ys VIII: PS4 game in development, and the little footage available looks like Memories of Celceta given the console treatment and its on my Official 2016 Hype List. Old trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NtxJNBQgRIw

Oh and the music rips in every game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jf87KPms97c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6fZOLkfbnM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQXz2bGcf5A

etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

SeXReX posted:

I watched someone playing one of these once and it looked like he was just going into the same room to grind exp or something for hours on end but then he informed me that thats just how the dungeon design was.

look kinda cool but that experience put me off the series

Usually the dungeons are like 4 rooms and then a boss. So he probably was grinding. Which to be fair, I usually grind a little bit before the final boss in these games because they can get fairly difficult and instead of me getting better id rather grind a little for some extra attack and health.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Wormskull posted:

I think you should treat Ys III and Felghana as separate since even though one's a remake, their fairly different.

I've only ever played Oath. I should check out SNES III, it would be cool to see what it looks like.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The only part of Origin I didn't like was the sunken prison boss because his patterns seemed more or less random and that was kinda frustrating. But everything has been purestrain Ys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

Which one is the one that takes place in the big tower. Origins I think>? That the one I played and it was good

Origins takes place wholly in a tower, but most of the games take place eventually in that same tower (Origins is a prequel, the Origin of Ys of you will)

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Winter of Ys

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Word of warning to Ys players: in Ys: Origins, during the segment when you are restoring the true power to the Evil Ring, make sure you have the ring unequipped, or else when the power is restored it will automatically deal you 9999 damage and kill you.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Goddess Feenah: Yes well, you could say the root of our problems is the Black Pearl... While also bringing us prosperity, it also awoke a demonic power. You could say... [A borderline illegally funky slap bass jam kicks in] It represents the Dark Side of magic.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Ys origin has really good inappropriate music during certain parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU_ka-9_gsU

lol this played right after Yunica became a knight, fulfilling her life's ambition. And the score was some public access transition poo poo. Simply awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

This song kicks rear end though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3VSYWmbJFg

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

rediscover posted:

Ys music reminds me of the music from Ragnarok Online.

its like 10 hours+ per game of insane noodling and i love it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Unguided posted:

Now is the winter of our Ys content.

Nice

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

It's a really good series, Oath is excellent but my favorite of the ones I've played is Seven. It's also a pretty good Joanna Newsom album

Is Seven like a traditional Ys game or does it have a party like Celceta.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Say Fleece without the "Fl".

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Pablo Gigante posted:

It has a party

Oh hell yeah.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's playable on PSTV now I believe

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Maybe Ys 8 will have online multiplayer :staredog:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol Falcom released a Vita exclusive sequel to an MSX game they developed in 1985 this year. These developers are out f their drat minds

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Edit sorry it's the third installment. The second Xanadu game was a Japanese N-gage exclusive made in 2005. Rofl.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm going to beat Ys Origin tonight, judging from how far up the tower I am

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Not unless I can't beat this sand worm motherfucker.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I figured the fight out. Forgot that I can actually deal hella damage from range now :sweatdrop:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Dalles just went DQV on everybody's asses.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I wandered around for a while before the mantis boss and I think I was overleveled because all of lighting strikes were doing like 15% of its lifebar

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

All of the upgrade stuff in these games is awesome. Not only do your numbers keep getting higher but maxing stuff out sometimes makes new gameplay changes, like all the super charged spells and what not.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Roy :smith:

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

this is such a sick feeling. approaching the final boss i think.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The final form was making me rage. I would get through first 2 without being hit and then it seemed like he was just instantly hittin me with gravity well bullcrap over and over again that was unavoidable damage. I don't even know what I did different on my successful attempt. But I beat it.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Bobby The Rookie posted:

Congrats, the final boss is pretty tough with Yunica and completely miserable with Hugo.

I might revisit this game and play as Hugo or the third guy at some point. But from what I understand they travel through the same levels and bosses which is kinda lame/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The Kins posted:

how does falcom even make money nowadays?

i'm not complaining, it's just that developing sequels to msx games primarily for vita and pc in japan doesn't seem like it'd cover the bills

is it purely off of soundtrack cd sales? because i can get behind that

Their games still look like PSP games at best so I imagine their art asset creation costs are extremely low and they just make mechanically tight games and sell them to a niche market.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I might play some Ys VI this week, but my copy of Yakuza is arriving today or tomorrow. Decisions decisions.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The imp zone does it again folks. That's another game announcement one week after the relevant Megathread was made. Book it

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Yeah the 4 remake is the Vita exclusive. Wots wrong with 5?

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

mysterious loyall X posted:

Its tedious and looks like crap. The gameplay gave me lagoon feels instrad of lttp feels, which is bad. Realbad. I didnt know there was a 4 remake. 4 pce cd is supposedly good but pce fans are all completely gonzo and if pce was ever as as popular as like sega or rare tjeyd be worse tham srga fans hajaja. Also 8dk if the pce cd of 4 ever got off the ground.

It took me three or four attempts but I think I understand now

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

Sister Sonic is a cancelled role-playing video game in the Sonic the Hedgehog series.[1] Sega was to partner with Falcom, developer of the game, Popful Mail, to rework characters from the Sonic franchise into Popful Mail.[2] The game was to star Sonic the Hedgehog's long lost sister.[3][4] However, the game was ultimately cancelled in favor of releasing simply an English translation of Popful Mail in 1995.[5][6]

lol

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I booted up Ys Seven tonight and the first line in the game is "Off the coast of Afroca". This is gonna be awesome

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

elf help book posted:

[Sonic and the Black Knight] was de-listed in 2010, following on from Sega's decision to remove all Sonic titles with mixed Metacritic scores from retail stores in order to increase the value of the brand after positive reviews for Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode I and Sonic Colors.

Lmfao

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Ys I is pwnage but I can't imagine playing 99% of games ever made on mobile, but if I had to rank it, Ys games and platinum games would be tied for first on my DO NOT PLAY THESE GAMES ON A SMARTPHONE

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oath in Felghana is the best entry point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Oath, for sure. 1&2 play way different since they from the early 80s

• Locked thread