Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'd never heard of these games until this thread so I picked up Oath and Origin during the steam sale. I plowed through Oath over the past week and it was amazing. Every single boss except maybe one or two gave me a serious challenge. I think the hardest boss for me was that one long fire dragon because for some reason I couldn't get the hang of jumping over him when he was on fire.

Last night I started Origin and at first I thought it was way, way easier since I got through the first 3 bosses without dying a single time. Now I'm stuck on the giant centipede. He's seriously kicking my rear end.

Thanks for making this thread, I had no idea what I was missing out on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In Training posted:

That centipede gave me the most trouble until the final boss. He's definitely the first hard point. What character did you choose?

Yunica because her description sounded the most similar to the way Adol played, which seems to have turned out to be true. I like how her magic skills are similar to Adol's but work just different enough to keep it fresh.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I never really used the Earth Charge much in Oath except when I needed invulnerability, but I'm loving the thunder axe smash.

So far aside from the centipede the majority of my deaths have been from drowning in the second big underwater section because I didn't realize you needed to actually select the water dragon scale in order to not drown fast.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Zaggitz posted:

Regy if you plan on doing all 3 routes I recommend playing Hugo on the easiest setting cause his mode is a snore.

3rd character the best tho.

I haven't decided yet. I may not do other routes right away, unless there are huge differences?

The reason I say that is that while I haven't played any more today, I might have gotten a bit carried away this morning:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the centipede on my first try today. I like how this game has these giant bosses that you have to climb on and run all over them.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The giant plant boss is awesome holy poo poo!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Origin last night. The final boss was really cool, I liked it better than Oath's. Overall I think Oath was better, but Origin did a lot of different and cool things with its bosses, particularly all the giant ones. The Epona and Kishgal fights were pale imitations of Oath's humanoid bosses though, with Epona in particular being extremely similar to Chester but way way easier.

I'm actually gonna just go ahead and do the other two routes of this game before going on to Ys I and II. Currently trying to blitz through Hugo on an easy difficulty. He's definitely not that fun. His magic shooting attack is pretty boring and his first skill is just a shield that isn't even useful for doing damage.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat the third route of Ys Origin today. The True Final Boss blew me away. Third route is definitely worth doing, it's got a huge amount of differences from the other two and a bunch of fun new bosses.

I really wish they'd made Hugo's route more distinct from Yunica's. He's really only got one boss that she doesn't fight in some form.

Also I wish they'd made Hugo actually fun to play.

Up next - Ys I

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dogi's the name, wall crushing's my game!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Hugo's route in Origin helped me solve what would probably have otherwise been a really obtuse puzzle in Ys 1. I guess it was worth it after all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Evil Eagle posted:

Current progress through this effed up labyrinth.

We're gonna need a bigger map.

I used your map when I played it

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

That's hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

It really doesn't seem worth it to get the vita version if the PS4 one is that much better. It's pretty dumb that they'd still release it if updating it to match was infeasible.

• Locked thread