Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
like I know there are wifi nics for pcs that have bluetooth added on as a feature

but what if you are perfectly happy with your non-bluetooth-having wifi nic but don't want to gently caress with dongles to get bluetooth

what then? why is there no such thing as a dedicated bluetooth card lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pram
Jun 10, 2001
my imac has bluetooth built in op

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

what's a "desktop" :confused:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

pram posted:

my imac has bluetooth built in op

ya but I'm talking about desktops son

As a Millennial I posted:

what's a "desktop" :confused:

they are grandpas computers that you can build, my boy

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

yes bluetooth could definitely take advantage of the bandwidth offered by the pci-express bus

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
bluetooth sucks and is for queers which are the domain of laptops and mobile phones. beefy desktops are for badass bosses.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

agreeing with smythe itt

Space-Pope
Aug 13, 2003

by zen death robot
wires or gtfo

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

SO DEMANDING posted:

yes bluetooth could definitely take advantage of the bandwidth offered by the pci-express bus

lol that's a good point

no need for pci-e

but even a card with just usb headers would be sufficient for my dongle-free desires

Smythe posted:

bluetooth sucks and is for queers which are the domain of laptops and mobile phones. beefy desktops are for badass bosses.

well spoken but how else are you gonna got get wireless headphones on the badass box lol

pram
Jun 10, 2001
they sell wifi cards with bluetooth you loving moron

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833106251&cm_re=bluetooth_card-_-33-106-251-_-Product

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

That Robot posted:

but even a card with just usb headers would be sufficient for my dongle-free desires

Get ye to a soldering iron. Remove the USB connector, solder on a pin socket header

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

http://modtronix.com/hdr1x4-f254-57.html

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

PCs are faraday cages, so placing a low powered Bluetooth radio inside of one is not usually a great idea. USB sticks are so cheap to manufacture too.

Apocadall
Mar 25, 2010

Aren't you the guitarist for the feed dogs?

That Robot posted:

like I know there are wifi nics for pcs that have bluetooth added on as a feature

but what if you are perfectly happy with your non-bluetooth-having wifi nic but don't want to gently caress with dongles to get bluetooth

what then? why is there no such thing as a dedicated bluetooth card lol

because it's loving stupid

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Apocadall posted:

Bluetooth? Agreedo. Put a Logitech Unifying receiver in one and now you're talking

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

SO DEMANDING posted:

the problem is that those tiny dongles have a range measured in millimeters and suck if you want to use a headset or game controller from across the room

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
is there a usb bluetooth thinger that doesnt require paid drivers to get the full speed or whatever? i'd rather spend good money on a card that Just Werks than some shjit i have to driver janitor. i've been using the one from some oldass michaelsoft keyboard on my htpc but once that thing rips in piss b/c its trayush im gonna need another

Hugh G. Rectum
Mar 1, 2011

even my cheap rear end asus mobo has bluetooth built in, have you tried that OP?

angry_keebler
Jul 16, 2006

In His presence the mountains quake and the hills melt away; the earth trembles and its people are destroyed. Who can stand before His fierce anger?
uh, why isn't there a bluetooth enabled toilet so i can stream the sound of my turds splashing into the water to my phone??? and fart sounds too.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

^ a nexciting new use fro chromecast imho

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Korean Boomhauer posted:

is there a usb bluetooth thinger that doesnt require paid drivers to get the full speed or whatever? i'd rather spend good money on a card that Just Werks than some shjit i have to driver janitor. i've been using the one from some oldass michaelsoft keyboard on my htpc but once that thing rips in piss b/c its trayush im gonna need another

just use a bluetooth dongle that uses the native windows drivers and not some 3rd party poo poo.

like http://www.amazon.com/dp/B009ZIILLI/

lampey
Mar 27, 2012

if you get a m-itx mobo it should come with bluetooth

DaNzA
Sep 11, 2001

:D
Grimey Drawer
2.4ghz wifi and Bluetooth that's also 2.4ghz with similar transceiver, antenna design and what not including the same controller/modem chip so why not add few more cents to sell it together for a lot more?

by selling a Bluetooth only card you are missing out a large market even though you've already spent like 99 percent of cost for it

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

yeah I said about that in the op in the first sentence

in talking about a dedicated Bluetooth card for a desktop

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

maniacdevnull posted:

Get ye to a soldering iron. Remove the USB connector, solder on a pin socket header

yeah I'm too lazy to solder and I'd rather not shock my dumb rear end

Apocadall posted:

yes but I asked for the novelty of it

Sudo Echo posted:

even my cheap rear end asus mobo has bluetooth built in, have you tried that OP?

yeah my mobo is from 2012, did not come with Bluetooth and I have not saved up enough for new boxen yet

DaNzA posted:

2.4ghz wifi and Bluetooth that's also 2.4ghz with similar transceiver, antenna design and what not including the same controller/modem chip so why not add few more cents to sell it together for a lot more?

by selling a Bluetooth only card you are missing out a large market even though you've already spent like 99 percent of cost for it

yeah that makes sense

pram
Jun 10, 2001

That Robot posted:

yeah I said about that in the op in the first sentence

in talking about a dedicated Bluetooth card for a desktop

lol if you think i read anything itt beyond the thread title

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Korean Boomhauer posted:

lomarf at this meme heavy post lol

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

That Robot posted:

well spoken but how else are you gonna got get wireless headphones on the badass box lol

drill holes in the walls and run wires like an epic PC should. if you want a nice thick signal you're going to want some creamy golden metal going the distance.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

pram posted:

my mac mini has bluetooth built in op

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lol if your home computer isn't beautifully engineered with a custom internal antenna array that works wonderfully with bluetooth and wifi

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

lol if your home computer isn't beautifully engineered with a custom internal antenna array that works wonderfully with bluetooth and wifi

my home computer has a fuckload of badass wires coming into and out of it kuz its a loving badass fuckin RIG that doesn't flit aorund like a human being ballerina. problem? take it to the genius bar ROFL :thurman: Aww baby compy broken? Baby compy get 5 FPS on DUNE2 b/c my GRAPHICS CARD ALONE IS BIGGER AND THICKER? Aww. QQ QQ QQ QQ QQ. :poolgirl:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

sounds like a piece of poo poo

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

mishaq posted:

sounds like a piece of poo poo

*carefully inspects epic rig with stethascope, magnifying glass, dental tools, and microscope* Hmmmm.... WRONG

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
FPS Doug: IT OWNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
Bluetooth is trash for idiots

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

Bluetooth is trash for idiots

This.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
"Bluetooth lag isn't a big deal to me because I use OSX where everything is laggy"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Shaggar posted:

"Bluetooth lag isn't a big deal to me because I use OSX where everything is laggy"

Glass of IceWater in Hell! Haha! Yea! YEA RIGHT BITCHES! *racks shotty* WATCHOUT FUCKTARDS! PC MASTER RACE A'COMIN FOR YA!

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007

That Robot posted:

lol that's a good point

no need for pci-e

I have a PCI-e card that has just internal USB headers. You aren't looking hard enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Melmac posted:

I have a PCI-e card that has just internal USB headers. You aren't looking hard enough.

prove me wrong, melmac

prove me wrong

• Locked thread