Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Is 30 for 30 still on Netflix or is it just Amazon Prime?

EL BROMANCE posted:

Hillsborough
Oh man, I loved this one. I went into this knowing nothing about the Hillsborough disaster other than it was a stadium snafu that killed 96 people (still a real mindblowing number), and it was a real roller coaster of emotions. My only gripe is that they could have talked a little bit about how awful the second half of the 1980s were for English club football (among other things, they were barred from competing in the European Cup- now the UEFA Champions League- after 1985 because of fan behavior that killed people in the Final that year), which would have set the stage for its nadir.

Sticking with soccer, I really hope they do a 30 for 30 on the 1991 Red Star Belgrade side that won the European Cup. It was a dream team of great players that capped off an impressive run against a very good Olympique Marseille team that won it all 3 seasons later. After that, Yugoslavia started going to hell and all the players scattered to different clubs in Europe. All the elements are there for a really great entry. Make it happen, somebody.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Dec 14, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

computer parts posted:

This one is more tangential to sports, but I hear it's still pretty good. In that same vein, Ghosts of Ole Miss is about said university integrating, with the backdrop of them having an undefeated football team (and I believe national champions?) that no one remembers today.

I think the U Part 2 is fine since the general theme of it carries over into the Al Golden era. There definitely doesn't need to be another one for like 20 years though.
I saw part of Ghosts of Ole Miss. I liked it, especially since the backdrop is in the state with some of the ugliest incidents that happened during the Civil Rights Era.

Also, there won't be a "The U Part 3," because Miami football hasn't been relevant in over a decade and probably won't be for the foreseeable future (unless the university stops shortchanging the football program, something that one of the members of 2 Live Crew is very outspoken about).

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Here's an update on the Hillsborough incident. After more than 25 years, there is some form of justice for the 96.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

It's still an amazingly powerful piece of journalism and the general consensus was that it should be essential viewing for everyone about how a government can enact a cover-up that involves almost all parts of the establishment
It's also a testament to how long a government can be callous towards its own citizens. Considering how much Thatcher disliked soccer and her contempt for its mostly working-class fans, it's not a surprise that such a miscarriage of justice happened under her watch. God, what an awful person she was.

The documentary is a real roller coaster of emotions over the running time. The first hour is shock and horror, most of the rest is anger and outrage, but in that last bit, there is hope and optimism. People really should watch this. It's still on Netflix, so no excuses.

get that OUT of my face fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 19, 2016

• Locked thread