Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
To pass out you'd have to have celine's torpor level raise, which pretty much only happens if she's starving or if a scorpion, frog, or insect is attacking you. Normally I'd consider this crazy talk but with how weak our dinos are now, it's possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GodspeedSphere posted:

To pass out you'd have to have celine's torpor level raise, which pretty much only happens if she's starving or if a scorpion, frog, or insect is attacking you. Normally I'd consider this crazy talk but with how weak our dinos are now, it's possible.

Yup. She had meat, since I killed three meat-dinos with no offensive capabilities before she passed out. It's too big a nerf. I don't see the point to spending hours taming a dino, when they're so weak now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

Who got my argent killed );

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
Half the dinos have disappeared are they just dying or getting picked off by pubbies?

Edit: The reindeer is gone too :negative:

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Bad Moon posted:

Half the dinos have disappeared are they just dying or getting picked off by pubbies?

I got Celine back after she passed out and logged off. The new dinos are too much like work. I was afraid to attack anything that could fight back since I didn't want to get her killed post-nerf.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Bad Moon posted:

They're being killed by tribemates, sometimes unintentionally (such as flying too low over bases or going out hunting without minding their new stats), but other times intentionally (the moose was killed by Monkey, presumably for being less useful than his name might have implied).

Unfortunately there's a weird situation with tamed dino limits - there's not supposed to be any in PVP servers, but we hit one a week or so ago. We culled a lot of useless dinos at the time but someone suggested that the limit might not be per-tribe but rather per-server, meaning that anyone's dinos may end up contributing to the cap, even if they aren't ours. I have not been on in the last few days (and only managed to get on tonight for about an hour and a half), but if I had to guess I'd say some number of missing dinos are being culled intentionally to make room for more useful replacements - or just for fun.

There's a few exceptions I know of:

1) JeffyBed's ptera was killed by Nulite's plant turrets while following me home from a failed artifact run at carno island - I flew my own bird there and had to go rescue myself when I died in the cavern. He was following me back home when I flew over the Illumination base and got lit up. I was fine because as soon as I saw the turrets fire I dodged out of the way, but the AI isn't quite so smooth. I accept responsibility for this, but in my defense the turrets were (perhaps intentionally) obscured by the canopy and set to high for no good reason. When I complained, Nulite seemed delighted - we already knew he was the biggest of assholes, though.

2) Flying Bastage, the original Quetz, was killed when Monkey was booted during a metal run and was unable to reconnect. Someone from TWD killed him while we were all offline. TWD was raided (by us and, I think, UG and Agony) the next night - presumably successfully, although I was not online to witness it.

3) I doubt anyone noticed this happen in the first place, but we obtained an angler (named "Gobul"), who died seconds after being named when a Plesiosaur who had been patiently waiting for me to finish the tame swooped in and ate him.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Jan 18, 2016

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Tribe is totally out of food. I took the Carno hunting and dropped about 100 cooked in the fridge, but anyone who gets on should be sure to do some quick hunting on the beach.

Also where did the drat sicles go? I've looked everywhere for them.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

In case anyone was wondering how long it takes to punch the broodmother to death because your dumb rear end only took one pike and some stone tools to the fight, the answer is two and a half hours.

e: Doing some quick and dirty MATH with the stats available on the wiki, it *should* take ~6 continuous minutes of punching with 200% melee damage, but even with that and player damaged turned up to max AND exhausting a pike on her, repairing it, and repeating, plus two sets of stone tools, it still took so long that I had already given up and assumed there was a bug or something mechanical preventing you from cheesing the fight the way I was trying to. I think it's something to do with health regeneration (which I turned slightly up for dinos) or some other weird bonus she has to player-originating melee damage or something because youtube videos suggest a couple 40ish rexes should kill her in minutes and I've tuned myself to be some sort of god. In any case it's possible but dear god don't bother, or rather, tech up instead of rushing her for the dossier before you have assault rifles or battle dinos.

Anyway, if anyone wants a super rad hat hit me up I guess.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jan 18, 2016

Marverick
Jan 9, 2004
Retired Webcartoonist

Funkmaster General posted:

1) JeffyBed's ptera was killed by Nulite's plant turrets while following me home from a failed artifact run at carno island - I flew my own bird there and had to go rescue myself when I died in the cavern. He was following me back home when I flew over the Illumination base and got lit up. I was fine because as soon as I saw the turrets fire I dodged out of the way, but the AI isn't quite so smooth. I accept responsibility for this, but in my defense the turrets were (perhaps intentionally) obscured by the canopy and set to high for no good reason. When I complained, Nulite seemed delighted - we already knew he was the biggest of assholes, though.

Welp, at least my ptera died doing what he loved: getting shot to poo poo by turrets.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
We've lost a ton of fliers since the update, and I'm definitely guilty of getting at least one of someone else's killed foolishly. I've been working at converting dodo eggs to kibble for pteros, so we got a handful of that. I'll be on and able to help.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GodspeedSphere posted:

As of the last update, mounts will flat fall over asleep if you push them too hard, and then they will naturally wake up once their torpor goes back to 0.

This includes if you are fighting a pack of 8 compys and having your mount just fall over fast asleep because you kept making it melee attack. It's definitely a thing that was added with the latest patch, it happened to a couple of my dinos as well as myself once, already.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

coyo7e posted:

As of the last update, mounts will flat fall over asleep if you push them too hard, and then they will naturally wake up once their torpor goes back to 0.

This includes if you are fighting a pack of 8 compys and having your mount just fall over fast asleep because you kept making it melee attack. It's definitely a thing that was added with the latest patch, it happened to a couple of my dinos as well as myself once, already.

That's not a very fun sounding game mechanic, yikes. I assume they'll dial that back in the next update - what's going on with it on the PC side, where updates roll out a bit quicker?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

coyo7e posted:

I wasn't able to recreate this last night, but good to hear some confirmation of it. Must not apply to fliers (which is a good thing).

squidgee posted:

That's not a very fun sounding game mechanic, yikes. I assume they'll dial that back in the next update - what's going on with it on the PC side, where updates roll out a bit quicker?

They dialed it way back. No idea about the stamina/torpor thing, since this was the first I heard about it, but we got the version of the patch with the initial dino need of around 80-85% reduction in HP and Melee damage. They almost immediately pulled it back on PC to 75%, then pulled it back again from that a little later, I'm not sure what they landed on or if they're done tweaking.

They also buffed gather rates, independently of melee damage, such that dinos gather around the same amount as they did before the nerf, but we don't have that fix yet either. Looks like we're in for two weeks of paper dinos.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
The first time it happened I was on a brand new scorpion and I assumed I'd managed to poison myself. I ended up accidentally killing it trying to melee the mobs all over me, before it woke up. Then I tamed a raptor and it did the same thing. Then later I was just walking around piking poo poo to death and ignoring my empty stamina and I just keeled over fast asleep with a 100% full torpor meter when I got into a fight and was already exhausted.

Compy packs are a legitimate threat now, I keep finding them in groups of 5-8 now, and often there will be one to three that're over level 90, in the mix. Be very careful of your stamina right now.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

How to be madder than you ever have before: Start taming a plesiosaur - one of the hardest tames in the game - and go up for air after dropping a bunch of prime meat on him only to find that he tamed himself before you got back and lose credit for the dossier.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Got any openings for the Xbox One goon tribe? Me and 3 of my buddies are looking to join up. We are all cool and are hilarious and will go to WORK, SON!

XBL: The Pearcenator

Will be on around 3am central

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Still 65?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
NA 65. We're DRS in north 3 spawn. As soon as we get you in, you'll be set. So, seeing as how I've been connected in some way to the loss of several fliers, I went and made a stego breeding garage. It wasnt until I knocked out the 3rd stego that I realized we have 5 females and no males at all. Dammit. In any case, my efforts for today have added a 136 ptero, 3 steggos, and 1 dodo. Thanks for ya help biscuit.

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Cool! Somebody send me a friend request. I spawned in that area and died in 5 minutes after punching a tree too much.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GodspeedSphere posted:

NA 65. We're DRS in north 3 spawn. As soon as we get you in, you'll be set. So, seeing as how I've been connected in some way to the loss of several fliers, I went and made a stego breeding garage. It wasnt until I knocked out the 3rd stego that I realized we have 5 females and no males at all. Dammit. In any case, my efforts for today have added a 136 ptero, 3 steggos, and 1 dodo. Thanks for ya help biscuit.

Glad you got her, sorry I couldn't stay on longer. The tribe definitely needs some more manpower, especially with our dear leader MIA.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Glad you got her, sorry I couldn't stay on longer. The tribe definitely needs some more manpower, especially with our dear leader MIA.

I've got so little time to dedicate to the game right now that I've decided to spend that time working toward filling in the dossier in single player to unlock the Rex skin.

You'll thank me when we have the baddest-rear end dinos in town. B)

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
It transfers?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

89 posted:

Still 65?
If you're interested, try server 427, the very last new server they made a couple days ago. I have a tribe and a base on the same peninsula on west coast (because that spot is sexy as hell). Three days in, we've got like 60 dodo eggs in a chest, doin p good

GodspeedSphere posted:

It transfers?
Yes. The dossier and the map transfer between servers, so once you open up your jornal map it'll always be opened no matter what server you join, same for dino dossier.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 19, 2016

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I've got so little time to dedicate to the game right now that I've decided to spend that time working toward filling in the dossier in single player to unlock the Rex skin.

You'll thank me when we have the baddest-rear end dinos in town. B)

Oh I was referring to Cykko he removed all of his turrets i assume for his pirate ship

Raskolnikov2089 fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 19, 2016

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Oh I was referring to Cykko he removed all of his turrets i assume for his pirate ship

They were destroyed in a raid by snipers. We didn't replace them because the plant turrets more than protected everything else and can't be damaged by projectiles.

E: The internal ones were taken down to be moved to the boat though, yes.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

They were destroyed in a raid by snipers. We didn't replace them because the plant turrets more than protected everything else and can't be damaged by projectiles.

E: The internal ones were taken down to be moved to the boat though, yes.

Since they really only need to point up, could we at some point rebuild them inside of 4 walls?

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Since they really only need to point up, could we at some point rebuild them inside of 4 walls?

I mean we could, but a sniper could still disable them by shooting the power boxes, and we plan on building another floor on the roof at some point as well, so... Meh. If anything, I think the internal ones should be replaced but that's not a huge liability either.

Also, if they were surrounded by four walls they'd just shoot their ammo uselessly into the walls, I'm pretty sure, and shooting straight up wouldn't help much anyway since nothing's going to be directly above them, given the plant turrets and the dino HP nerf. A quetzal would last maybe 3 seconds up there.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Yeah Cykko says 'someone' ate his ship and ruined his work. Meaning either Pidgey or Dino, so no. He left when agony got wiped off the map.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GodspeedSphere posted:

Yeah Cykko says 'someone' ate his ship and ruined his work. Meaning either Pidgey or Dino, so no. He left when agony got wiped off the map.

Wait, so did Cykko go gently caress goons?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

squidgee posted:

Wait, so did Cykko go gently caress goons?

I'm hoping Pidgey has some insight into the situation I don't. I definitely don't know everything.

As far as everything else goes, I filled a significant chunk of our base with ill gotten gaina from the PCB base before Thor and Calamity saw me paying their base a visit. Oooo snaps. I say we blame thw tribe of steve.

GodspeedSphere fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Jan 21, 2016

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GodspeedSphere posted:

Whoa. Agony got wiped?

Feb 24, 2006

#worldchamps
Motherfucker, the server I play on and both goon servers are full. This game really took off on Xbox One, huh?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Whoa. Agony got wiped?

With the huge dino nerf, it seems like it'd be trivial to wipe another tribe right now. Perhaps this weekend, we should test this theory.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Cubey posted:

With the huge dino nerf, it seems like it'd be trivial to wipe another tribe right now. Perhaps this weekend, we should test this theory.

I'm still on the side of waiting till we're stronger, but anyone notice the large-ish base going up just to the south of us? They were only a small wooden hut when Monkey and I visited yesterday but that has since changed.

Also, they got their bronto back somehow Monkey.

Got on for a bit today, dino-troughs were empty, as were the compost bins. Refilled everything, and set war-drums on the roof. Then I went around and checked to make sure the plants still had plenty of fertilizer. We still need lots of basic supplies. Meat, dino-feces, berries, wood, thatch and stone.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

GodspeedSphere posted:

I'm hoping Pidgey has some insight into the situation I don't. I definitely don't know everything.

I haven't even seen his boat, nor talked to him (or anyone else) or been on the official server for like three days (four, if you don't count a half-hour quick login as a day). So... no? If one of us deconstructed it, it would show in the tribe log. If his boat's hosed up it's because someone came and hosed it up, not because one of us tore it down for parts.

I don't know anything about Agony getting wiped off the map, but some portion of them moved to a new server, and my understanding was that Cykko had gone with them, or was going to temporarily. Like I said, it's been several days since I've talked to anyone at all, and what little of Ark I've been playing has been a few hours in singleplayer taming stuff for dossiers. No clue what's going on in the server right now.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm still on the side of waiting till we're stronger, but anyone notice the large-ish base going up just to the south of us? They were only a small wooden hut when Monkey and I visited yesterday but that has since changed.

Also, they got their bronto back somehow Monkey.

I made friends as they have fun accents and pcb up north is much more dangerous, as is thors chosen who are now there with 300 spartans.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

GodspeedSphere posted:

I made friends as they have fun accents and pcb up north is much more dangerous, as is thors chosen who are now there with 300 spartans.

Works for me. I'll leave off trying to break into their base while no one is logged in.

Would building a wall on the north side of our base to obscure our dinosaurs from beach snipers be the worst idea? Even thatch would be fine, I just want to further obscure line of sight.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
drat Monkey, you stole a lot of good poo poo. I tried out the shield and apparently found a bug where I'm unable to take it back out of my inventory.

We're in a better place, fertilizer wise. I took the bronto out for berries (dinos were going hungry), dropped about 700 narcoberries in the fridge near the trough if anyone needs to level. Anyone want to show me how to get plant turret seeds (without getting killed by the titanoboa)?

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Seeing as how I never see anyone on I've taken to arming smaller tribes and befriending a man named Joe who blows poo poo up for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Are we going to start a second goon server then? It's quiet enough that I can actually get on these days.

I've started a PVE tribe on an EU server.

• Locked thread