Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Seeing as it looks like there will only be a few goons here does anyone mind if a couple of my real world friends join our eventual tribe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
No I would be happy for any assistance - the more the merrier.

I'm still struggling to not starve to death while eating berries in the pitch black night :laugh:

GT: cj coyo7e

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hey, man, I distinctly remember this being an episode of Spongebob. :colbert:

PriorMarcus posted:

Seeing as it looks like there will only be a few goons here does anyone mind if a couple of my real world friends join our eventual tribe?

Nope, that's cool. I've got some non-goon friends joining at some point as well.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Uhh, I just hopped on and there's only 9 servers up, they're all full, and none of them are the one I started in.

E: The server browser just doesn't show full servers and 100% of servers are full, so it shows a handful.

E2: Got in, dead, house destroyed. No bed.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 16, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Add GT Shiny Pidgey if you're on, lets get this tribe going so we can show this "swampass" guy who we are.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Funkmaster General posted:

Add GT Shiny Pidgey if you're on, lets get this tribe going so we can show this "swampass" guy who we are.
I got sick of waiting for the server and started loving around on a different one today.

No matter how badass you think you are with your spear and hatchet and poo poo - do NOT gently caress with the little flying dinos (dimorphodons), they will call for help and then you'll be picked apart by circle-strafing flying enemies that you'll never even hit.

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
optional; no images are allowed, only text
I joined a tribe (Tribe Of Dill). We made a base, got raided and had our asses kicked. Hunted some jurassic animals and got our asses kicked. Realized we had to make a base thats far away and secluded, and then disbanded because we had been playing for hours.

This is a game buddhists would like, cause you cant keep poo poo in the game.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hepnotic posted:

I joined a tribe (Tribe Of Dill). We made a base, got raided and had our asses kicked. Hunted some jurassic animals and got our asses kicked. Realized we had to make a base thats far away and secluded, and then disbanded because we had been playing for hours.

This is a game buddhists would like, cause you cant keep poo poo in the game.
Pidgey and I trained up a pet triceratops and she's been levelling up and eating people who gently caress with her, I looted a bow and arrows and some leather armor off of her, from some idiots who got killed by her (and who are also 5 levels above me because at level 10 I can't make a bow and arrows until 15)

If you wanna join up with us, spawn at Easy 3 and keep the coastline on your right, and walk toward the green towar mainly with the sea on your right shoulder. You'll find a lot of huts the closer you get along the shore, don't aggro anybody and when you see (DNS), our hut is just past it, (DRS). There's a pet triceratops outside named Spike, and a bunch of torches and a badly-placed sign and poo poo.

Server NA 65 PVP.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Dec 17, 2015

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003

coyo7e posted:

Pidgey and I trained up a pet triceratops and she's been levelling up and eating people who gently caress with her, I looted a bow and arrows and some leather armor off of her, from some idiots who got killed by her (and who are also 5 levels above me because at level 10 I can't make a bow and arrows until 15)

If you wanna join up with us, spawn at Easy 3 and keep the coastline on your right, and walk toward the green towar mainly with the sea on your right shoulder. You'll find a lot of huts the closer you get along the shore, don't aggro anybody and when you see (DNS), our hut is just past it, (DRS). There's a pet triceratops outside named Spike, and a bunch of torches and a badly-placed sign and poo poo.

Server NA 65 PVP.

I'll look for you, if I can manage to get on the server.

Gamertag: Hepnotik
Nickname: Grim

Edit: currently offline

Hepnotic fucked around with this message at 08:54 on Dec 17, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Good first day of Ark. I made some enemies who turned into friends with a base nearby and have been giving us gifts. Tamed a trike, who killed a bunch of would-be griefers, but was struck down by a retarded yeti who decided he had a beef with her. Built a little base, painted it terrible colors, and punched a lot of lvl 1 lookie loos in the dick.

Join us, server NA-XboxOfficialServer65. Spawn South 3. Look for DRS, or ask around about Shiny Pidgey and some British dudes will point you in the right direction. I'll be on all day tommorow.

marjorie
May 4, 2014

Downloaded trial, but it looks like server 65 is full. Will try again later. GT: Fievelry

E: nvm, joining.

E2: people keep saying things but I don't know how to respond. How do I xbox??

E3: figured out the proximity chat, but not messaging. Also found the camp. Yay! I'll probably do more tomorrow.

marjorie fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 17, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

So the trial is unable to connect to pvp servers? I haven't been able to play online at all within the trial.

Miasman
Aug 7, 2011

Oh, you!
Bought this last night, so will try to get on Server 65 this evening.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's going to be next week before I sit down with this. Not sure the idea of loosing all my poo poo at night is appealing though. Does anyone fancy getting a PVE goon group going?

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
I could get into pve, since I'm in the same boat as you, barely any time to play. What I want to know, is are there challenges that emerge like dino attacks and poo poo or is it all shangri LA?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

So the trial is unable to connect to pvp servers? I haven't been able to play online at all within the trial.
No you can connect to pvp servers just fine.

I haven't seen many random dino attacks but a yeti loving destroyed our pet triceratops despite being 3 or 4 levels below it. And there're plenty of players to make your day difficult.

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
Good god theres zero servers available and its 3pm on a thursday. I hope some space gets freed. This is no fun without friends, and its not proving easy.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

GodspeedSphere posted:

Good god theres zero servers available and its 3pm on a thursday. I hope some space gets freed. This is no fun without friends, and its not proving easy.
Use the search filter and type in "65" and then refresh it for a couple minutes. Our settlement is on the southeast coastline, around 70/70 or 70/80 on the map.

I have a murder problem. I can't resist sneaking up behind people and killing them.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Dec 20, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

coyo7e posted:

No you can connect to pvp servers just fine.

I haven't seen many random dino attacks but a yeti loving destroyed our pet triceratops despite being 3 or 4 levels below it. And there're plenty of players to make your day difficult.

This is what I thought, because my friends didnt have any issues. I just sit at a searching for sessions message and I cant go back to the other menu or anything.

I really dont want to have to reinstall (and even so my trial is used so I cant actually test before I pay for it)

Although maybe I dont want to play - i woke up to a string of facebook messages along the lines of 'Dude after you went to bed someone came and raped and then murdered you. and then they had their way with me and the dinosaur'

I am Toni Lippi
Aug 16, 2004
I tried the trial yesterday. Got to 3 and made a club. I knocked out a guy standing on the beach while he was looking at his inventory and stole everything off his body. Immediately after I broke into a thatch hut and robbed it. Went back out to the beach and got into a fist fight with 5 guys, cutting the dead ones up for meat. Found a guy standing at his thatch hut with a spear out so I dropped all my I'll gotten gains in front of him and drowned myself in the water. Most productive 30 minutes I ever had in ark. 5 stars.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

This is what I thought, because my friends didnt have any issues. I just sit at a searching for sessions message and I cant go back to the other menu or anything.

I really dont want to have to reinstall (and even so my trial is used so I cant actually test before I pay for it)

Although maybe I dont want to play - i woke up to a string of facebook messages along the lines of 'Dude after you went to bed someone came and raped and then murdered you. and then they had their way with me and the dinosaur'
I was in the same boat and didnt' trust that it was refreshing the servers reliably until I set my search to "6" and then I realized it was renewing. just toss "65" in there and spam it for five minutes.

Nobody has raped and murdered me in my bed yet but I think Pidgy's paint job was half the intimidation. I built a second spawn for our tribe, on the far east side of the map (like 3 o clock - apparently everybody is retard with that poo poo.) if you want to respawn and fight dinosaurs and not have naked newbies walking by every five minutes.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Dec 18, 2015

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Nothing on the server search screen worked. I couldn't move the cursor. I have fibre internet so it's not a connectivity issue either. All ports forwarded too.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Laserface posted:

Nothing on the server search screen worked. I couldn't move the cursor. I have fibre internet so it's not a connectivity issue either. All ports forwarded too.
How long did you give it? Sometimes the initial search will take 30-60 seconds, and sometimes hitting "Refresh" will take an interminably long time for no discernible reason. You can't move the cursor or anything until the initial search is complete.

None of the buttons work while you're searching servers though so it's hard to determine from your words if you were patiently hitting and watching the buttons' context change, or if you were bashing your face against the screen and backing out to the xbox guide or turning off your console after 5 seconds of things not doing whatever it was you were assuming they'd do.

There's a similar thing in the game chat, where sometimes if you type a swear word or other censored string it will just freeze your poo poo for like 60 seconds and it's not clear if you are being punished for attempting to circumvent the censor or if it's just a weird glitch... I've had it happen when I didn't say anything as well, so it's mainly just growing pains.

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006
I just got the full game, played in Local mode and spent a few hours getting killed by the dodos and think I'm ready to play online.

GT: dinosarus

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

coyo7e posted:

How long did you give it? Sometimes the initial search will take 30-60 seconds, and sometimes hitting "Refresh" will take an interminably long time for no discernible reason. You can't move the cursor or anything until the initial search is complete.

None of the buttons work while you're searching servers though so it's hard to determine from your words if you were patiently hitting and watching the buttons' context change, or if you were bashing your face against the screen and backing out to the xbox guide or turning off your console after 5 seconds of things not doing whatever it was you were assuming they'd do.

There's a similar thing in the game chat, where sometimes if you type a swear word or other censored string it will just freeze your poo poo for like 60 seconds and it's not clear if you are being punished for attempting to circumvent the censor or if it's just a weird glitch... I've had it happen when I didn't say anything as well, so it's mainly just growing pains.

I left it sitting there for 5+ minutes a number of times. Nothing happened.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Looks like some new blood coming in. Just a heads up, Cyko, one of the tribe admins, is not a goon. He's an old PC player. He doesn't care for PVP activity in general, so we're going to bide our time and get powerful before making anyoves on anyone. Don't talk to him about dominating the server or whatever because he'll get annoyed with you.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Never understood the types that are totally against pvp joining a pvp server. What the hell did they expect?

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence

Jackard posted:

Never understood the types that are totally against pvp joining a pvp server. What the hell did they expect?

real life is pvp, but most people are annoyed by it anyway.

i'm only half joking, the choice to co-operate has more weight to it when it is an actual choice.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
The PvE servers aren't dick free, either. They just get more creative with their dickery. And then you can't kill them in retaliation, so only the dicks win.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Just bought the game sight unseen. RIP me. Downloading now.

gt: robocratic

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 19, 2015

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

If any new goons get online tonight or tommorow morning and Cyko is the only admin on, just tell him Shiny Pidgey sent you. If me or Grim are around, have one of us verify you instead.

We had an incredibly productive day. We now have a base rivaling anyone else on the server in terms of security (but not necessarily size or resources, oh well). We are vulnerable to air attacks right now, but as far as we can tell the only tribe with flying mounts right now is UnrivaledGaming, who we are sort-of friends with. By tommorow, our neighbors D2M will have one, and they are firmly our allies.

We've got a ton of dinos now, including a mating pair of trikes as well as a mating pair of dilos. The trikes already laid an egg! ... We ate it.

So far the two griefing tribes on the server seem to be Agony and Tribe of Chanceton, both of whom have formed shaky alliances with us, so with our secure base, nearby allies, and general peace with the warring tribes, I'm feeling pretty safe at the moment. It's a great time to jump in if you have been waiting for some reason.

CJ also has a second base a bit further east, which I haven't visited yet because we've been so busy, but that means we have some choices for respawns.

In the next few days we will probably be looking to establish some northern territory as well.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 19, 2015

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
I logged in tonight and the base has come along nicely. Well done goons.

Hepnotic
Jan 23, 2003
Theres a lvl 100 bronto in our pen that killed our mounts. Guy named James was hangin outside our base and he killed me. Another guy named Rozzer killed another one of our mounts. Our base is big enough to where the griefers are going to do their thing.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

Hepnotic posted:

Theres a lvl 100 bronto in our pen that killed our mounts. Guy named James was hangin outside our base and he killed me. Another guy named Rozzer killed another one of our mounts. Our base is big enough to where the griefers are going to do their thing.

What? I leave for five hours...

The bronto shouldn't have been attacking our mounts in the first place. Did someone piss him off? And how did Rozzer get into our pen? What Tribe is he from? What do we have left?

E: If nobody has yet, someone let the D2M guys know about the attack, particularly the tribe of the others involved. We're manhunting tonight, boys.

Funkmaster General fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Dec 19, 2015

GodspeedSphere
Apr 25, 2008
And I've still been utterly unable to log into 65.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

GodspeedSphere posted:

And I've still been utterly unable to log into 65.

Search for "65" in the server list and keep refreshing. A slot will open eventually. This is a problem with all of the official servers right now. They don't have enough to meet demand ATM so they're all full 24/7

DINOSARUS
Jul 16, 2006
Once you've got the server showing in the session list, I found that it's better if you don't refresh even if it flashes up the "Room Is Full" message, just spam Join until there's a slot available.

Funkmaster General
Sep 13, 2008

DINOSARUS posted:

Once you've got the server showing in the session list, I found that it's better if you don't refresh even if it flashes up the "Room Is Full" message, just spam Join until there's a slot available.

Yes, this.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Hepnotic posted:

Yeah dude named James somehow got in the front door and killed me as well ("TRIBE LAND RAGE" was his tribe). I guess I should've logged out deeper in the base. Totally my fault.

Both my eastern beds are still up so looks like nobody hosed with it much over there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot
Seriously Pidgy, why did you make this Cykko guy admin, he's obnoxious and keeps trying to loving boss me around. He keeps accusing me of stealing 300 hide for some reason.

edit: oh now he's decided that I stole 20 loving metal ingots for some reason. cute.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Dec 19, 2015

• Locked thread