Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Until then I need your help
figuring out the logistics!
Some number of years ago I can't remember, perhaps more than 5 but less than 10, I was given this pocket knife by a family member. Having received a dollar store chinese knockoff multitool/knife of some sort nearly every year of my adult life from some extended family member I went "yeah, that's really cool, thanks" and put it in a drawer somewhere.

This evening I saw a documentary about Victorinox and realized I'm the owner of a genuine knife. It doesn't appear to be a fancy, expensive, or rare model of any kind but it was pretty neat to see the documentary about how they are built to exacting precision and quality assurance and then realize I own one. Engraved with my initials, none the less, indicating it was probably from my mother. She likes having everything engraved.

So I can't find this exact knife with its exact combination of features on the Victorinox website right now. They have a few that are very similar but all have more things than this one does. This is a pretty simple model. It's in the "midsize" range but isn't too thick or heavy. I'd like to know what model (and if possible, year) it is for my own curiosity. How might I go about finding this or might there be a knife nerd here that could fill me in? I'm told all this information would have been on the box but I threw that away having not thought it was really anything special.

I know it isn't a valuable or unique knife but it's still a pretty cool thing to have been given that I only now have realized was certainly worth more than something from a clearance bin. The quality of the material and "snap" of the mechanism exceeds that of the handful of super crapo no-name ones I have lying around by 10 times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

jyrka posted:

I believe the model is called Tourist.

Ha. You're right, it appears. I was being thrown by the fact that they don't seem to offer the Tourist in a clear-red variety anymore. Just the solid red right now. The solid red tourist has my exact set of tools to the T, though, so I bet you're spot on.

I guess they change the product line pretty frequently? Why on earth don't they date stamp their current knives like they seem to have done for some models last century? I'm kindof mindblown by the level of enthusiasm for these products on the internet. There are apparently people who collect hundreds of them.

Edit: The name is rather ironic considering what would happen if you tried to take this on a plane.

chedemefedeme fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 12, 2015

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

I suppose I could check it in baggage but I typically don't check bags when I fly. Just a few essentials in a carry on bag. Gave up on checking when it felt like every other time I flew my bags ended up in entirely different cities than I did.

Yeah, i don't find the cork screw very useful. Is it really for anything other than opening a beverage? A Phillips would be rather handy.

So that this thread doesn't die the death of the first dude answered the question (which it appears he did) I'll ask another question as we mention screwdrivers.

I don't routinely carry a pocket knife or multitool but I do routinely carry a compact ratcheting screw driver that has 6 to 10 bits. I had one from years ago I don't recall the brand of that I used daily for perhaps a decade and finally broke the mechanism by doing stupid stuff with it routinely. For the life of me I can't find a quality replacement. Every hand driven ratcheting screw driver I find is 90% plastic, with many having the actual fricking ratchet mechanism also made of plastic. This doesn't cut it. Sometimes I'm just driving a screw into a pre-threaded hole but other times I've got to put a 3 inch wood screw into solid material. A quality hand driver can accomplish this. A plastic mechanism one fails immediately.

I'm sick of crappy tools and am trying to spend less time fighting with them. Does anyone make a rather compact ratcheting (straight, not angled like a socket ratchet) screwdriver that is made entirely of metal? Something that feels like it's worth more than $5? I'd pay a decent price for one that had the build quality of this Victorinox.

Edit: even the craftsman is just a heap of plastic. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-ratcheting-ready-bit-screwdriver/p-00941796000P

I want one I can use like a hammer when I need to. Bad idea? Perhaps. But no reason the tool can't be constructed to withstand it like my old one was.

chedemefedeme fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Dec 12, 2015

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Blitter posted:

The AI Tools thread had some screwdriver chat in the last few pages; I love my Kraftform Kompact ratcheting driver set, but it's not going to make a good hammer..

Perhaps you should write Wera and tell them you need a screwdriver/hammer since they make a 1/2" ratchet/breaker-bar/hammer combo tool!

Wow those Wera tools are awesome. Wish I had known about them closer to christmas ;)

While I'm at it I'll post the only other little knife I own. This was given to me by my father on my wedding day. His father had given it to him on his wedding day. I know nothing about it nor really does he. Any thoughts?

chedemefedeme
May 25, 2007

Wow. I went out of town for two weeks and this thread kindof exploded.

Vitamins posted:

I did a bit of googling around as this post piqued my interest.

I came up with this website. From what I can gather looking at your photos it was made in 1980 by a company called Case.

You're right. It indeed appears to be a Case. Thanks.

• Locked thread