Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

chedemefedeme posted:

Wow. I went out of town for two weeks and this thread kindof exploded.

It's kind of become an interim Swiss Army Knife megathread.

I've been carrying a Victorinox Explorer in my pocket for close to 20 years now. I don't know how I'd get along without it. Actually, come to think of it I DO know: on the occasions that I've flown somewhere with carry-on luggage only, I had to leave anything pointy at home. I found myself reaching into my pocket for it about two or three times a day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Enfys posted:

Ooooh that one looks really nice.

The Explorer has a really useful tool that for some strange reason is very rare in other models -- the in-line phillips screwdriver. Most knives have a screwdriver that sticks out from the center of the long side, giving you a T-handle. There are a LOT of screws in the world that don't have room for that (just try taking apart a computer with one, I dare you), but the in-line works fantastic on them.

Enfys posted:

I finally found a shop that sold a replacement toothpick for the one I lost years ago. I don't need a toothpick often, but that little empty space in the side bugged me.

If anyone else is in that same boat, you can get a pack of six replacement toothpicks for about three bucks on amazon. (I now have five spares left, which should last me for a few decades.) Replacement tweezers aren't much more. Just make sure to get the right size: your knife takes Small toothpicks/tweezers if they're right in the center of the knife handle, and Large if it's off to one side so the little "handle" nub is sloped to one side to match the curve.

• Locked thread