Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

turbomoose posted:

I've had 3 confiscated by TSA, now I just have a bottle opener and ask other people for a knife if I need one. Still have one at home but don't carry it on my keyring anymore.

I lost one of my two Rucksack knives with the slide lock to the airport, and they don't sell that style of locking blade anymore. I am trying to avoid losing this one to the trail or the water when doing stuff outdoors, so I was jazzed to find tiny ball bearing swivels (!) and rings from fishing tackle stores, to stop the lanyard from winding up when in use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blitter
Mar 16, 2011

Intellectual
AI Enthusiast

chedemefedeme posted:

So that this thread doesn't die the death of the first dude answered the question (which it appears he did) I'll ask another question as we mention screwdrivers.

I don't routinely carry a pocket knife or multitool but I do routinely carry a compact ratcheting screw driver that has 6 to 10 bits. I had one from years ago I don't recall the brand of that I used daily for perhaps a decade and finally broke the mechanism by doing stupid stuff with it routinely. For the life of me I can't find a quality replacement. Every hand driven ratcheting screw driver I find is 90% plastic, with many having the actual fricking ratchet mechanism also made of plastic. This doesn't cut it. Sometimes I'm just driving a screw into a pre-threaded hole but other times I've got to put a 3 inch wood screw into solid material. A quality hand driver can accomplish this. A plastic mechanism one fails immediately.

I'm sick of crappy tools and am trying to spend less time fighting with them. Does anyone make a rather compact ratcheting (straight, not angled like a socket ratchet) screwdriver that is made entirely of metal? Something that feels like it's worth more than $5? I'd pay a decent price for one that had the build quality of this Victorinox.

I want one I can use like a hammer when I need to. Bad idea? Perhaps. But no reason the tool can't be constructed to withstand it like my old one was.

The AI Tools thread had some screwdriver chat in the last few pages; I love my Kraftform Kompact ratcheting driver set, but it's not going to make a good hammer..

Perhaps you should write Wera and tell them you need a screwdriver/hammer since they make a 1/2" ratchet/breaker-bar/hammer combo tool!

quote:

The tool is unbreakable and is, therefore, a long-term investment
:allears:

Ah, Wera. West German hand tools ..
(made in the Czech Republic)

• Locked thread