Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

error1 posted:

Millennials will never know the joy of degaussing a CRT :smith:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd9nOtX-CJg

Degaussing is awesome. I had a nice Trinitron about a decade ago that got shocked by a lightning strike that caused the gun to get way out of alignment. To straighten the beam, I used old hard drive magnets across the top of the screen to bend the electron beam back into shape. When I hit degauss, the magnets would fly into the air and smack together in a big lump. They would go high enough to hit the ceiling.

Fun times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
People buy these all day long for retro consoles. Trinitrons are worth their weight in gold.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

Philthy posted:

People buy these all day long for retro consoles. Trinitrons are worth their weight in gold.
In that case my old TV is worth 3.4 million dollars. Nice.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I had a 30" HDTV Sony for same for 50bux no one wanted it. I didn't want to move the fucker it weighed god drat 187lbs..
Ended up taking to dump.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

haljordan posted:

The heaviest thing I've ever had to move remains a 37" Sony Trinitron tv my parents used to have. Thing was like a bunch of cinder blocks with plastic over them.

It was actually big lead plates

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Actually the heaviest tv made I believe was the Sony 40" xbr 800 hdtv.. 40 loving inches of thick rear end glass 304lbs.
I hated when the owner of the store I worked at made us move it.. gently caress that tv

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Bill Barber posted:

I paid $999 for my CRT and I still use it and it weighs 400lbs and when I move out whoever moves in after me gets it for free.

I paid something like $1700 for a fancy Sony CRT back in 2002 and when I sold it in 2010 I got $75 for it. It had a great picture but it was huge and would probably kill someone if they slipped while moving it. People who only remember CRTs though the fog of nostalgia also forget just how blurry text is compared to an LCD running at native resolution and how it was basically impossible to have straight lines on larger ones because the earth's magnetic field would distort the picture.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
I don't care what you guys say, I'm not getting rid of my old CRT TV.

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy

tater_salad posted:

Actually the heaviest tv made I believe was the Sony 40" xbr 800 hdtv.. 40 loving inches of thick rear end glass 304lbs.
I hated when the owner of the store I worked at made us move it.. gently caress that tv
My dad had that TV when I was in high school. The delivery guys had to remove the front door from the hinges just to get it inside

EDIT: It was a non-widescreen HDTV, such a weird beast.

Bill Barber fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Dec 14, 2015

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
lol she put an apostrophe in "TV's" when it should just be TVs

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
she's not delusional op, she literally has no clue that they are worthless

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
this is pretty much the equivalent of walking into the last remaining used bookstore in town and trying to sell them all your Stephen King paperbacks

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

Bill Barber posted:

I paid $999 for my CRT and I still use it and it weighs 400lbs and when I move out whoever moves in after me gets it for free.

It's usually frowned upon to leave garbage in your apartment when you move out

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy

JnnyThndrs posted:

I don't care what you guys say, I'm not getting rid of my old CRT TV.

Wow nice picture of your grandparents living room.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
OP needs to buy a TV and take a poo poo on it for Internet cred. It's no PS1 but still...

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
Fun fact: if you drive to a grocery store that still has outdoor recycling bins in the middle of the night you can unload any old CRTs/Monitors or whatever and you can save a bundle on getting rid of them

Dial-a-Dog
May 22, 2001

A Stupid Baby posted:

Fun fact: if you drive to a grocery store that still has outdoor recycling bins in the middle of the night you can unload any old CRTs/Monitors or whatever and you can save a bundle on getting rid of them

Another good lifehack is if you wait till the middle of the night you can just throw them in any dumpster or just push them out your door while you're driving down the highway

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Aralan posted:

Another good lifehack is if you wait till the middle of the night you can just throw them in any dumpster or just push them out your door while you're driving down the highway

If ur not part of the solution ur part of the problem m8

Return Of JimmyJars
Jun 24, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Aralan posted:

or just push them out your door while you're driving down the highway

I see you live in my city

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

Julie And Candy posted:

Bullshit. You're just adding extra letters to make it seem fancier, like Ashly > Aisleigh

is your username a boards of canada reference?

That Robot fucked around with this message at 03:35 on Dec 14, 2015

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb
Honestly I'm one of those RGB CRT videophile spergs and I still wouldn't take any of those even for free. The CRTs people really go for are those professional PVMs that they used in broadcasting and video production.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

I had a Sony GDM-FW900 for an all-too-brief period of a couple of years. It's an actual widescreen CRT monitor, and performed like a champ. It also weighed an ounce or two under 99 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-Widescreen-Trinitron-Monitor/dp/B00004YNSR/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Ein cooler Typ posted:

check out this flier someone put up at work

where do you work?

Idiot inc?

Bill Barber
Aug 26, 2015

Hot Rope Guy
I like how it's implied that the Magnavox TV is black and white.

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

nomadologique posted:

she's not delusional op, she literally has no clue that they are worthless

That's what "delusional" means

FedEx Mercury
Jan 7, 2004

Me bad posting? That's unpossible!
Lipstick Apathy
If you want to see people who are REALLY delusional about resale value, look up HD motorcycles on craigslist. $15k+ for ten year old second hand machines. Yeah loving right buddy, you think that stupid pipe and chrome is going to keep value?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

that's ignorance.

i don't believe she's been confronted by any contrary that could test her belief in these prices, i think she just thinks that's what they're worth. perhaps if you kindly let her know, you could test her delusional state: if she refuses to believe you, you have better grounds to consider her delusional. at that point you can start gaslighting.

powerofrecall
Jun 26, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I got a 32" flat Trinitron just for the retro games, paid $6 and the requisite pain in my rear end carting it away, and still get a better picture than people who spend hundreds of dollars on upscaler boxes. That said, these TVs, even the nice ones, still aren't worth poo poo.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

$6 for a vacuum tube that could potentially kill me you say???

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

not a bad investment in a potential unusual suicide imo

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
My old 19" Toshiba lasted years. Used to play Halo 3 on it cause I did way better on that lovely tube than any other tv I ever played on

grading essays nude
Oct 24, 2009

so why dont we
put him into a canan
and shoot him into the trolls base where
ever it is and let him kill all of them. its
so perfect that it can't go wrong.

i think its the best plan i
have ever heard in my life

gary oldmans diary posted:

when i worked at compusa a woman came in asking for something to connect her sons xbox 360 to the screws on the back of their tv
i couldve told her to google for a vhf transformer and an xbox 360 rf adapter but i had a feeling even doing just that would pose major hurdles for her so i said she would need a new tv
she looked so sad at that news but i have a feeling thats not the biggest problem she had at the time

how long has it been since you bathed irl?

ahh memories, I used a TV like this for dreamcast and original Xbox. I remember the day we had enough money to get a then-modern flatscreen for the basement and just the experience of using AV cables like a normal person was exciting to me. I'm pretty sure that TV still works though. The one in the pic looks even older though, the one I used didn't have dials I think, just a thing you pulled to turn it on

I didn't even know they made RF adapters for the 360/PS3 generation.

grading essays nude fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 14, 2015

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Fredrik1 posted:

Using an emulator for retro gaming is just bad.

Retrogamer spotted. They're the vidya version of audiophiles and $3000 cables.

a bag of dicks
Oct 20, 2015

Bill Barber posted:

I like how it's implied that the Magnavox TV is black and white.

Michaeljax TV, if you will

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
My Brother had one of those old cabinet TVs taking up a bunch of space. He only kept it because they can be made into a decent drink cabinet. Ended up getting rid of it and three other TVs when the local council offered to recycle them for free.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
Guys should I buy these HOME COMPUTERS I found on Craigslist.

I hear Home makes some drat good computers, especially that Computer model. Plus it's in excellent condition!!!

http://tucson.craigslist.org/sys/5351794305.html

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

one hundred for a printer that will jam every third print? sign me up

Fetus
Jul 13, 2001

Chill'n in my womb

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I had a Sony GDM-FW900 for an all-too-brief period of a couple of years. It's an actual widescreen CRT monitor, and performed like a champ. It also weighed an ounce or two under 99 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GDM-FW900-Widescreen-Trinitron-Monitor/dp/B00004YNSR/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

I got one of these for free a few months ago and it's amazing. 2k resolution too.

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

lol, i remember hauling my loving crt and tower to and from LAN parties

god bless :911:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Fetus posted:

I got one of these for free a few months ago and it's amazing. 2k resolution too.

It's such a good monitor I actually looked into repairing it when mine died. A few pages of "be careful or you will literally x-ray yourself to death" made me abandon the idea, however.

• Locked thread