Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
WHAT MATCH IS GOING TO STEAL THE SHOW
Becky Lynch vs. Sasha Banks
3-Way Tag Team Ladder Match
8-Man Tag Team Tables Match
Alberto Del Rio vs. Jack Swagger, for the 25th Time
Ryback vs. Rusev
Charlotte vs. Paige
Kevin Owens vs. Dean Ambrose
Sheamus vs. Roman Reigns
NOT DOLPH ZIGGLER BECAUSE HE SUCKS AND ALSO IS NOT BOOKED BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
View Results

• Locked thread
Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Great White Hope posted:

A guy who people like when he beats the poo poo out of people but has been booked like a talky stupid guy beat the poo poo out of a bunch of people. People like when they get things they like.

See also: The guy in your avatar would still get big pops this year despite being utterly poo poo at everything because his career has been "Hey, fans like chanting things, I'm going to give them a thing to chant because it'll make them happy".

Hacksaw was always meant to be a doofus, though, and was never made out to be an actual tough guy (TOUGH GUUUUUUUY) in WWE. Roman has been a COMPLETE doofus. I guess it's too little too late for me on Reigns, or maybe at best too early for me to get excited about this going anywhere actually enjoyable. I don't have any confidence that they won't continue to make him look like a total moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

Phenix Rising posted:

Hacksaw was always meant to be a doofus, though, and was never made out to be an actual tough guy (TOUGH GUUUUUUUY) in WWE. Roman has been a COMPLETE doofus. I guess it's too little too late for me on Reigns, or maybe at best too early for me to get excited about this going anywhere actually enjoyable. I don't have any confidence that they won't continue to make him look like a total moron.

Long story short: never go FULL doofus.

Reigns works better as a Lesnar. The ending of the PPV showed that. Might make the Authority interesting again to see them in genuine fear of someone instead of being the typical backstage machinations people.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Not sold on it because it's entirely too easy to follow up last night with more of the same. Roman gets hosed by the Authority, overcomes stupid odds with superman booking, blah blah blah nothing new.

BUT there's at least a chance to make a storyline and some developed characters out of this and that's honestly infinitely more than I expected of this match.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

People really liked that ending?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

SamuraiFoochs posted:

MotU you know I wouldn't steer you wrong so I also urge you to, for hype purposes, watch Ambrose's win and the aftermath of the main.

i will I just had a long night and early morning

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

That DICK! posted:

I think Roman still hesitates way too much which takes away from what should be more explosive offense, but I liked it otherwise.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

That DICK! posted:

Yeah. It was fun. We had fun watching wrestling last night. I'm sorry you didn't. I've been there before too.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That DICK! posted:

This time last year Roman had his "stares awkwardly at camera forgetting lines" moment

By the end, last night's Roman (postmatch) was better than that Roman. By universes.

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

That DICK! posted:

They want to believe it will lead to anything good ignoring that it's still lovely Reigns as the focus.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

kdrudy posted:

They want to believe it will lead to anything good ignoring that it's still lovely Reigns as the focus.

And that the ultimate goal is still to shove him into the John Cena-shaped hole.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

I guess some of us don't just want to sit around being negative all the time. Yeah, they might very well gently caress it up tonight and have Roman do a looney tunes promo. Or they might not, we will see. For the moment though, they had him do the thing he should have been doing all the time. I don't even like Reigns that much, but if they want him to be the top guy, then this is the only way to do it as a face.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

If Reigns keeps wrestling at this level, as he has for at least a couple of months now, I will not really have a problem with him as The Guy. If they could pull the trigger on his incredibly boring friendship storyline with Ambrose, that would be cool too.

The people bagging on people for "actually liking" the Triple H/Reigns stuff are coming off like dorky smarks, by the way. That was cool and good.

I almost didn't watch this show because I was sick of ho-hum WWE PPVs featuring a lot of Raw-quality matches, and other than some filler in the middle of the card this was a good show, especially compared to what we've been getting lately for the "nothing" PPVs.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Eltoasto posted:

I guess some of us don't just want to sit around being negative all the time. Yeah, they might very well gently caress it up tonight and have Roman do a looney tunes promo. Or they might not, we will see. For the moment though, they had him do the thing he should have been doing all the time. I don't even like Reigns that much, but if they want him to be the top guy, then this is the only way to do it as a face.

It's beyond fair to be pessimistic about this, regardless of how it goes. Even if it turns out well: Last TLC was the "stares at camera desperately trying to remember scripted lines" Reigns. Meaning it officially took a full year for them to progress to regressing to his Shield aggressiveness character. It shouldn't take you 365 days to make a right decision when you had already been doing it before

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWE's problem in relation to Reigns is that they refuse to commit to a booking style. He's a silent badass, he's a Cena-lite beans enthusiast, he's a crybaby, he's a chair-wielding tough guy, he's whatever Vince decides last second. Whenever he gets momentum they either write him a crowd-killing promo that makes him look like a stupid idiot or they get cold feet with his push because he's not catching on and they can't take a hint.

Reigns's problem in relation to WWE on the other hand is that he's nowhere near good enough to compensate for any of the above failures. He's not a good enough wrestler to gain the workrate smarks on board, he's not charismatic to generate fan interest organically with or without their help, and he's not a good enough talker to spin poo poo promos into gold. He's carryable by someone better, but he's not a leading man by any stretch.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Honestly, sometimes the negativity here is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I've been enjoying myself with the league of nations plotline.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Senerio posted:

Honestly, sometimes the negativity here is a self-fulfilling prophecy. I've been enjoying myself with the league of nations plotline.

Me too but I promised I wouldn't post anything griping about Other Fans anymore. Life's too short to get mad about wrestling online.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not going to say the storyline was earth-shattering but it's been really fun, minus that "main event" on the go-home RAW. Sheamus has been given a huge amount of heart to his matches and promos and rising to the occasion even if his role is effectively speedbump, and the violence exhibited at last night's finish I think was handled really well and felt something that could be character defining, but even in its own little moment as the culmination of the storyline, it was a hell of an emotional catharsis and for me that's the whole point of this hobby anyway, far more than technically competent wrestling or sensible booking.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

zakharov posted:

Me too but I promised I wouldn't post anything griping about Other Fans anymore. Life's too short to get mad about wrestling online.

That's fair. I just find I tend to enjoy the show more when I'm not reading the GDT than when I am, and I blame it on the threads daring to be sour.

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

Senerio posted:

That's fair. I just find I tend to enjoy the show more when I'm not reading the GDT than when I am, and I blame it on the threads daring to be sour.

I agree with you. I watch PPVs with some friends while doing my best not to check Twitter. This helps me enjoy the show more and laugh at the ridiculous parts without turning into an annoying smark. I highly recommend it!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DynamiteKidd posted:

I certainly enjoy the fact that we're currently laughing at the reports of Roman's overness that we received from our own eyes and ears

I enjoy people still assuming he's a bad wrestler after being the second best guy in WWE for the calendar year after Cesaro. But he's totally gassed this time, guys!

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Alain Post posted:

I enjoy people still assuming he's a bad wrestler after being the second best guy in WWE for the calendar year after Cesaro. But he's totally gassed this time, guys!

Third-best. Cena was #1

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Alain Post posted:

*something about shameful backs and his inability to deadlift 300 pounds up to his nipples with one arm meaning that he's worse than Lex Luger or whatever*

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

zakharov posted:

I agree with you. I watch PPVs with some friends while doing my best not to check Twitter. This helps me enjoy the show more and laugh at the ridiculous parts without turning into an annoying smark. I highly recommend it!

same

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

i still do not care about roman reigns

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

https://twitter.com/MichaelPSHayes1/status/676500268998094850

Agreeing with a racist itt, smdh

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

While I agree that last night was a good show overall, I hate the argument that effort equals quality. Plenty of people work really hard to make lovely things.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Charles Gnarwin posted:

While I agree that last night was a good show overall, I hate the argument that effort equals quality. Plenty of people work really hard to make lovely things.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KpMXRv4iUo

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Charles Gnarwin posted:

https://youtu.be/kd6MCIEkztQ

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
I still think Roman is a trash fire but if they are bound and determined to make something out of him, last night's ending was a good way to go about it. The big question is whether they follow up on it correctly tonight. Roman should be nowhere near a microphone. He should show up, destroy Sheamus and/or HHH, and leave. That's all they have to do.

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I don't understand this theoretical scenario in which Reigns is booked "correctly" and somehow becomes interesting/good

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Charles Gnarwin posted:

Something something your post history something something.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

The Landstander posted:

I don't understand this theoretical scenario in which Reigns is booked "correctly" and somehow becomes interesting/good

It involves de-emphasizing his weaknesses, which include talking, or wrestling for longer than three minutes.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'm afraid I've got some bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

e: wrong thread!

nooneofconsequence fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 15, 2015

• Locked thread