Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Forgot to update this.

Dustoph posted:

1. Getting married in October - Spend less than $3,000 on wedding. Spent under $12,000 on wedding and honeymoon combined. Was gifted more than $12,000 though.
2. Spend less than $4,000 on 3 week honeymoon See #1
3. Max out 2015, 2016, and have cash on hand Dec.31 for 2017 Roth IRA (mine and hers). Neither of us have had an IRA before. Maxed my 2015 in February, and hers in March.Maxed 2015 and 2016. Have $5,500 on hand for 2017 so far
4. Build emergency fund up to $10k. ($15k stretch goal) Currently floats around $15,000
5. Actually start her business and generate $3,000 in revenue ($10k stretch goal) $2,265. Put this on hold as we are looking to move states and start a family. Will look into starting up again after getting settled.
6. Get my PMP cert. Need to increase my studying rate. Made very little progress on this. My work will force my hand this year though.

Pretty happy with how we did overall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Congrats everyone you did it :toot:

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

and they all lived happily ever after

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS
Dec 21, 2010
Is there a good rule of thumb for deciding if the amount I want to spend on a car is reasonable? The only debt I have is my mortgage, which should probably simplify the calculation, I think.

I don't know if this is the right thread but I don't want to create a new one with my mundane question.

e: Also this one is apparently old so it's almost certainly not the right one. Whoops!`

RICHUNCLEPENNYBAGS fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 10, 2017

Dessert Rose
May 17, 2004

awoken in control of a lucid deep dream...

greasyhands posted:

That is a wash sale, bud... I mean, the odds of ever getting caught by the IRS are very close to 0, but what you did is technically a wash sale and strictly speaking does not generate a tax loss.... unless you waited 30 days, I guess.

The IRS has ruled (Rev. Rul. 2008-5) that when an individual sells stock or securities for a loss and causes his or her IRA or Roth IRA to buy substantially identical stock or securities within 30 days before or after the sale, the loss on the sale is disallowed under section 1091 and the individual's basis in the IRA.

I bought different indexes in the other accounts, so it wasn't substantially identical. I went from S&P 500 to total market funds, or from long-term corporate bonds to short-term. Thanks for the heads up though :)

• Locked thread