Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Late to the game but may as well throw some stuff up here. I'm much better at accomplishing things when I write them down, so...

1. Getting married in October - Spend less than $3,000 on wedding.
2. Spend less than $4,000 on 3 week honeymoon
3. Max out 2015, 2016, and have cash on hand Dec.31 for 2017 Roth IRA (mine and hers). Neither of us have had an IRA before. Maxed my 2015 in February, and hers in March.
4. Build emergency fund up to $10k. ($15k stretch goal)
5. Actually start her business and generate $3,000 in revenue ($10k stretch goal)
6. Get my PMP cert. Need to increase my studying rate.

Loan Dusty Road fucked around with this message at 08:06 on May 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Well after an interesting 2015 I am ready to get back into some really good financial goals.

Goals
1) Pay off ex's student loans (part of my divorce stuff). This is about $23,000.
2) Pay off my student loans. This is about $3,650.
3) Increase 401k contribution by 1% after raise in March, 11% of gross plus 4% match. (I might just do this even if I don't get a raise)
4) Purchase trip to Bald Face Lodge in 2017 for my 30th birthday, it will cost about $4,000 but completely worth it. Hopefully I can get some peeps to go with.
5) Sell or be bought out of my house and move closer to work, should net between $30-40K for my share baring a huge crash.

Stretch Goals - Based on the house sell or buy out
1) Max out 401k.
2) Pay off my car. Approximately $11,500.

Non-Financial Goal
1) Move in with my awesome girlfriend.

1) Knocking it down, paid $8023 so far
2) Just the minimums right now
3) Done
4) Still want to do this but maybe a slight change of plans with a different trip for the year
5) Should be bought out, just waiting on it playing out. No rush though for me right now.

1) Will hit abut $12K, might push it up, we will see
2) Depends on the house

1) Still planning on it

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Original Post | First Quarter Update | Second Quarter Update | Third Quarter Update | End of Year Update

Retirement Savings Goals
  • My Roth IRA: Goal $3,500 | Stretch goal $5,500 | To-date $1,250
  • Wife's Roth IRA: Goal $3,500 | Stretch goal $5,500 | To-date $750
  • My 457(b): Goal $10,000 | Stretch goal $12,500 | To-date $3,550
  • Her TSP: Goal $6,000 | Stretch goal $10,000 | To-date $300
  • Total: Goal $23,000 | Stretch goal $33,500 | To-date $5,850
Fortunately my wife is graduating this May and starting first time, so we should be picking these rates up across the board.

House Savings Goals
Goal $9,000 | Stretch goal $15,000 | To-date $1,500

Again, this should pick up now that my wife will be starting full time work in a couple months.

Resolve family partnership issues and improve tax withholding situation
Goal: Be on track to exit partnership in 2017 | Stretch goal: Exit partnership by the end of 2016 | To-date: Holy poo poo I may be out of this thing by the end of May. I won't be getting what my share is worth, none of us will, but gently caress it my aunt can have the money we're going to be free of her wooooo
:peanut: :peanut: :peanut:

Get my parents to update their will
No progress, but I wasn't going to worry about this til summer anyway

No gambling in my home state
All good on this so far. Haven't been elsewhere either.

Stop applying for credit cards after July
It's not August yet. In the meantime my wife and I have grabbed five cards so far this year and are planning a 2017 trip to Korea and Thailand with first class award flights on Singapore, Korean, and Emirates.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
March Update:

#1 - No kids, no house, all's great.
#2 - Side biz income was horrible in Month 3, about $1,000 approximately. I expected this, but I also didn't expect to make as little progress as I did toward the next book. Bad me. Other stuff took over.
#3 - Secondary side biz has a new web developer who is working hard on the new systems I need. Should be done in a week or two.
#4 - Stress reduction: I put this off until April because I have big plans for a very low-stress April. :) (See #6)
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: March savings: $20K.
#6 -- Goal: Keep or lose my current day job as best fits monetary and life balance goals. Almost certainly accepting a job offer with ~50-75% raise involved for less work. Awaiting final details from HR.

dead lettuce
Sep 12, 2014

Q1 Update (I need to get better at doing these):

1) No credit card debt or other new debts.
On track. I may get to go to Germany in May for work but I have enough in my checking account to cover the extra expenses to be able to take a short vacation. Coachella was also completely paid for when I bought the tickets. This is huge for me.

2) Continue contributing 6% (w/ full match) to 401k for every pay period.
On track. My 401k is now >$13k after starting it about a year ago. I'll be fully vested in July.

3) Increase net worth to positive by the February, then to $25K at a minimum by the end of the year (currently -$1,400). I should hit $18K only paying the minimums on my loans, w/ 401k contributions, and not incurring CC debt. Stretch goal: $30K.
Feb goal met... barely. I hit $16.90 net worth on 2/29. However I am definitely on track for my FY goal and probably my stretch goal too. Net worth today is over $10k thanks to goal #4, and a better than expected bonus. It feels weird but great to finally have a positive net worth.

4) Make at least $3,000 in additional payments towards my student loan principal (currently $11,500). Stretch goal: $5K.
DONE! On track to hit stretch goal. I used part of my bonus to pay off $3600 in student loans, 2 of my 3 loans at the highest interest rates. On track to hit my stretch goal of an additional $1400 paid down by the end of the year.

5) Emergency savings of at least $4,000 (currently $0).
No measurable progress here, still at $0/$4,000, but I am still committed to doing this. I actually now have some buffer in my checking account that is continuing to grow, so I'll stick some of that in an Ally bank account within the next month or two. This will probably be the hardest part of my 2016 goals. I've never really had an emergency savings account.

6) Continue living at home to save money.
On track and everything is going well. Helped renovate the bathroom in lieu of rent and upgraded the modem/router (though if I'm being honest the latter was mostly for selfish reasons, to go from 60 Mbps to 300 Mbps).

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sundae posted:

#6 -- Goal: Keep or lose my current day job as best fits monetary and life balance goals. Almost certainly accepting a job offer with ~50-75% raise involved for less work. Awaiting final details from HR.
EEK! So glad to hear this!!!

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Q1 update:

-Max 401k. On pace!
-Max my and my wife's IRAs. On pace!
-Max my HSA. On pace!
-Pay off personal loan I took out to sell the underwater condo(we'd be 100% debt-free after this!). $12,000 out of 26,000 paid off. On pace!!
-Add 2,000 to emergency fund. Not started.

stretch goal:
-Add 5,000 to house down payment fund (this would be the start of said fund, at the very end of the year).Not started.

In light of how ahead of the game we are with the loan repayment, I'm changing the house down payment fund stretch goal to $10,000.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
March! Not a lot to update, managed to keep on track with all my payment goals despite a hefty vet bill that, while we knew was coming, was way more than we anticipated. If you have a dog, loving start brushing its teeth if you aren't already.

Original post.

1. Completely pay off all miscellaneous debt ($1800 at start of year). - Halfway there.
2. Finally move my 401k from my previous employer over to my new one.
3. Pay 25% of my current student loan debt back into it. Stretch goal of 30%. - On track.
4. Cut the money owed to my parents in half. - On track.
5. Save up $2000 by next fall for planned overseas trip Christmas 2016. - On track.
6. Start contributing to our joint savings account. - COMPLETE (Jan)
7. Hit at least $650/mo in my current side job. - Had a big push this past week to squeak in just over$1000, which is pretty good for my current duties and pay rate.

Things that would be nice to do:
8. Merge back accounts with my wife.
9. Save up for a new computer. - COMPLETE (Feb)
10. Set up actual budgets for both myself and my wife.
11. Take a trip somewhere. - NO CONTEST (Jan) - Might re-open, my wife got invited to a conference in Barcelona in July so I'm trying to figure out if I have the budget to hop over for a three-day weekend with her.
12. Get my wife a job.

Looking ahead to Q2, April is going to be pretty pivotal. My new boss starts in the middle of the month, which will help me determine whether or not I should stick with this job another year, and could also impact the time I have for my side job. Speaking of which, the company I work for on the side also asked if I wanted to do some more advanced assignments with better payout starting sometime in April, but last time they asked me this I never heard about it again so I'm not holding my breath. If it does pan out though, I stand to make quite a bit more money which will be huge. Lastly, we have to renew our lease by the end of May and might end up moving if our rent goes up enough, which then affects my decision tree re: a new job.

Sundae posted:

Nice one! :toot:

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 31, 2016

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

moana posted:

EEK! So glad to hear this!!!

Thanks! If you still live out west, I may have to come visit you later this year. :3:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - On track

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Currently at 133k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Been creepily taking pictures of other people's front yards that I like, nothing else done yet

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Cruise scheduled for the end of April, used some of my Southwest points to pay for it :sun:

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - On track

2) Generate side income - Nothing so far

Head down, keep working...

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

END OF MARCH Q1 UPDATE-STRAVAGANZA

1) Added 2k, hit 10k, goal achieved! That plus a month's float in checking has me in a really nice position.
2) Still nothing new here (been at 1% base all year), but I'll make a contribution adjustment this month, so it'll take effect in two months' reporting time.
3) Regular paydowns so far, but now that I have the E-fund, this will accelerate. Currently sitting at $7500 to go.
4) Got the wedding fund up to $1500.

March was a busy month; I moved up to live with my fiance for 3 months, which had some associated costs. Also hitting up a wedding this coming month, so that's a lot of money. But I've budgeted for it while hitting my goals so I'm pretty happy about that.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Omne's 2016 Financial Goals
1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.
4. Increase personal emergency fund to $10k (Current balance: $6900).
5. Stretch Goal: Pay down the 6.8% student loan to under $10k

1. So far, so good. However, I was just informed that my mom won't actually be able to pay for the rehearsal dinner, so that's now on us and we hadn't budgeted for it. This is gonna be very tight.
2. No new debt!
3. Balance is down to $1500+ and on track
4. Haven't started, though I consolidated some straggler accounts and it's now $8200
5. Haven't started yet.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2016 Goals (Mar. update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget Considering switching from Mint to YNAB, but I'll stay with Mint for now
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) With maxing IRA's and paying off my student loan, it's down to 15k, but that's still much more than necessary
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment Refi is through. If I continue paying monthly what I do now (which I will), I'll have one extra payment made by EOY. Considered Done
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Sectional delivered and is wonderful. Now for an entertainment center
- Take a vacation
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to
- Release two iPhone apps App 1 is launched

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs 2016 maxed
- Make 3 extra mortgage payments
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%) Done
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet) Accepted an offer at a startup. Based on conversations, I'll be in a leadership role pretty soon after starting

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

tumblr hype man posted:

Gone back and forth on these, but here goes.

1. Finish paying off student loans this year, about $11k left at the moment.

2. Increase net worth to $30k, about $4k right now.

3. Don't buy a new loving car.

Not a strict goal, but one I will really need to hit in order to accomplish the above goals is grossing about $1k in sales from flipping stuff on eBay in addition to my day job. Gonna be tough but if I can do it I should fly past these goals by the end of the year.

Q1 Update.

1. Down to $47XX, Paid off about $6500 so far, which is about $1100 ahead of schedule so far.

2. Up to just shy of $14,500. May hit $40k by the end of the year.

3. Haven't done this so far, but boy is getting more tempting.

4. Outright/GoDaddy Bookkeeping tells me I've done about $14k so far this year, so on target.

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

March update:

1) Not anywhere near where I wanted to be. I've almost hit the goal for #3 at which point I'm going to go nuts working on this one... but I need more money. I graduate in May and then return from abroad in July at which point I'll be looking at something major.

2) I input my bills and stuff into unbury.us and when I move onto a higher-paying job I'll be able to knock this out by EOY. In the meantime I'm paying minimums on zero interest stuff and paying lots more on higher-interest stuff. I have a plan, it's just moving slowly.

3) See above.

4) I give up lol. I'm not spending that much on clothes right now, but I think going cold turkey is impossible. I'm going to change this to only making four purchases per month, which is about the rate I'm going at right now. I have a shopping habit which probably doesn't help the three above goals. I just gotta slow it down, which I am doing.

All in all I've been putting together my post-grad plans which will ultimately make things a lot easier for me. I've already started a job search to little luck, I think I'm a little early. We'll see what happens.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Omne posted:

1. So far, so good. However, I was just informed that my mom won't actually be able to pay for the rehearsal dinner, so that's now on us and we hadn't budgeted for it. This is gonna be very tight.

Oof. Did she pull a switcheroo on you or run into some genuine financial issue?

qmark
Nov 21, 2005

College Slice

qmark posted:

Goals:
1. Max out Roth IRA contributions for 2016 (so, $5,500). On track.
2. Increase emergency fund by $4,000. SORT OF on track... As I mentioned last month, I had to dip into my e-fund to pay for a deposit on a new apartment and some car repairs. I won't be back to the level I should be to meet this goal until May, but it will happen.
3. Decrease debt by $6,050. On track.
4. Complete 4 more computer science classes (paid for by my company). On track. But I'm considering asking my boss to add two community college classes to our arrangement. If not, I might pay for them out of pocket.
5. Do not change jobs or quit taking classes. On track.
6. Save for travel to two weddings in April and October ahead of time. April wedding is going to be more expensive than originally planned, because we were planning to stop in Istanbul before going to the wedding destination. We had to nix that plan after all the bombings there, so we bought some extra flights to Rome instead. The good news is... there was plenty of money already in the budget! The October wedding is on track.
7. Save for a deposit on a new apartment and (if we're both ready), move in with girlfriend. New apartment is awesome, saving a ton on rent, and deposit money I had to borrow from my e-fund will be "paid back" by May.

I honestly never thought I'd be capable of this kind of planning/execution.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

SaltLick posted:

-Get certified in IT things and get a better paying job. Passed first test of my MCSA. Two more to go. Potential job from a friend incoming.

-Have a positive net worth (Currently -$8000) Done! Just hit positive by 20 bux. Stretch goal positive worth of 5,000

->50% 2016 IRA contribution limit. On track. Currently throwing $450 a month into IRA savings and may get full funding.

-Cut eating out spending by $1000 So far so good. Eating out less and sticking to budget better

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Quarterly update.

Cicero posted:

Financial:

1. +60k net worth (~165k -> 225k)
Alright a hair over 200k, thanks to discovering a bunch of money in limbo in my Schwab account that personal capital wasn't counting.

quote:

2. Max out regular 401k contributions, after-tax 401k contributions (26k), IRAs for myself and wife for 2015 and 2016.
This turned out to be too aggressive of a goal. That would require...66k in contributions this year? And it looks like we're gonna be moving to Germany this year, so we need to save up some money in non-retirement savings/non-investment accounts for that. I at least plan to max out regular 401k contributions though, to get the full match for the year.

quote:

3. Go over spending consistently (right now this is scheduled for weekly, but even once a month I'd consider a success).
We've been somewhat consistent with this, doing it every few weeks, so mostly successful so far.

quote:

4. Tamp down on eating out by making it part of "personal spending" (this also involves an increase to the personal spending allocation, but we should still come out ahead savings-wise). This is the biggest waste of money we have right now, I think.
The wife really hates this and now it's gone. :geno:

quote:

5. Get some points from credit card rewards from regular, not manufactured, spending.
Yup, basically did this with an Alaska Airlines card, and now with a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Will probably get in one or two more Alaska Airlines cards in before we move since they're churnable.

quote:

Not strictly financial:

1. Have son reading very simple kids' books, and some menus/basic text in video games, by his fifth birthday (in October).
We've been working on reading (he loves the Big Dog Little Dog book) and he's definitely getting better. By his fifth birthday is an aggressive goal I think (especially since we've started to teach him some German), but I think we can get him reading some things by then.

quote:

2. Develop something meaningful career-wise aside from my job, like an Android side project, or learning a new tech stack.
lol nope, unless moving counts

quote:

3. Get in better muscle shape.
Have started working out some recently.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Not much has changed since last update. Starting next month at the new job, this will in turn make a lot of goals possible/happening. Baby ETA <6 months.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Cicero posted:

Yup, basically did this with an Alaska Airlines card, and now with a Chase Sapphire Preferred. Will probably get in one or two more Alaska Airlines cards in before we move since they're churnable.

What's your plan for the Alaska miles? We were doing this to fly Emirates first but that redemption rate got blown up a couple days ago, just a couple months out from when the calendar would have opened for us to book. :smith:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

March update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% - Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - on track to have all money saved by the wedding (May). Paying cash, mostly by ourselves. - On track: $24800/25k with May's pay period to pay for overages
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - Sort of on track. This won't start going down quickly until 6/1 (after the wedding). The stretch goal is looking unrealistic, but we'll see

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - Some minor speedbumps here, (slow recording and such), but we stayed on budget, and everything is caught up now.
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track (knocks on wood)
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track, but we've looked at houses. This one is going to get harder.
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - On track, new job doesn't require a car.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - My new 401k is horrible. Very expensive and a terrible match that takes 6 years to vest. For now, we'll just contribute more to her excellent 401k.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - 4 pounds down. Definitely could be doing better here

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

pig slut lisa posted:

Oof. Did she pull a switcheroo on you or run into some genuine financial issue?

Genuine issue(s). She had been trying to get it together but a few surprises came up. She'll pay me back, it's just not something we had planned for

ChipNDip
Sep 6, 2010

How many deaths are prevented by an executive order that prevents big box stores from selling seeds, furniture, and paint?
Semi-late Q1 updates

ChipNDip posted:

2016 Goals

quote:

1. Absolutely no debt
Check

quote:

2. Max Roth IRA
On track. Put $3000 in January

quote:

3. Contribute 30% to 401k

On track (Haven't started my big boy job yet, so 0 is technically 30% of zero :v:)

quote:

4. Increase taxable savings by at least $5k

Spent under budget so far, savings up so this is also On track

quote:

5. Make at least $1,000 from side work
:negative: Falling behind. Only $150 so far for the year. Time to kick this into gear now that school is slowing down

quote:

Stretch
1. Buy a car with cash
Possible, but may not be as difficult as I thought. Mom is looking to sell her old one, so I might buy that with a family discount

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

quote:

- Celebrated!
- Still working on getting her to go to her cpa so she can start understanding her finances

No Change

quote:

- Car is gone!
- We put together our budget and we're going to monitor this month and then see where we're falling short or can do better next based on this month's results.

Active budgeting is awesome. We saw our expenses plummet over last month and we also discovered that we'd had a couple of passive subscriptions we weren't using that we could cancel. 1st month of budgeting = $300 in yearly accidental expenses avoided.

quote:

Additions:
- Max out IRA
- Get the other 1/2 of the job.

IRA maxed.

Next Goals:
- Still working on the getting the lady to her cpa. I'd also like to see her budgeting her personal finances or consider putting them under all one budget.
- Still looking at getting the other 1/2 of the job. That's looking promising though.
- Contribute 30% to retirement account.
- Improve how we use YNAB. Hopefully we feel more comfortable with it over the next month or so, but there's still a lot of confusion with how it sets some things up.
- Now that we've got the first month down, we're going to start socking away money towards vacation goals. We need to put ~3K away for that by June.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

qmark posted:

I honestly never thought I'd be capable of this kind of planning/execution.

Congrats :)

cosmic gumbo
Mar 26, 2005

IMA
  1. GRIP
  2. N
  3. SIP

Christ Pseudoscientist posted:

I was able to complete almost all of my 2015 goals. The one I wasn't able to do was to get to step 4 of YNAB. I will be trying again this year for that. I didn't get a new job at a new company but I was able to transfer departments and get a much larger salary than I was making before. For sanity reasons and monetary reasons that was by far the most successful thing I did in 2015.

2016 Goals:

-Continue to max my Roth IRA
-Increase my 401k contribution
-Add $5000 or more to my taxable investment account
-Get married without going over budget
-Use Mint/YNAB/whatever to stay on track financially

Stretch Goals:

-Hit 100k in investable assets
-Get my fiance to start contributing to a Roth/increase her 401k contribution

Q1 Update:

-Roth IRA still on pace to be maxed. I may have to reconfigure this goal so that I can immediately max my Roth in January 2017. Not sure if possible without getting a raise but not having to save for a wedding in a few months will help.

-I have not increased my 401k % but due to a raise late last year my monthly contribution shot up about $100 a paycheck. I need to submit the paperwork to at least throw another 1 or 2% towards my 401k.

-Done. Thankfully my non-index fund investments are doing very well so far. I know I got lucky with getting in at the low earlier this year so I am not planning on increasing any non-index fund investments for the time being.

-Still on track to stay on budget.

-I have not done this one at all.

Stretch Goals:

-Done but sort of cheating because I got a large stock gift from my dad as a wedding gift.

-I convinced her to sign up for automatically increasing her 401k each year but no dice on a Roth so far.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I put this update off so that I could officially say that I bought a house. Well, I bought a house!!
Q1 update:

Goal 1: Migrate my etrade roth IRA and taxable brokerage to Vanguard (already underway), and figure out a good allocation for me to stick with for retirement investment + low-risk assets for the money needed for goal 3
All etrade accounts totally closed. Vanguard Roth IRA opened, and my new asset allocation is 10% total bond fund, 51% US stocks, 30% intl stocks, and 9% REIT.
I was avoiding moving lots of money until I bought the house, so now that that's done, I believe next month I should be in a position to open a taxable account at Vanguard too.

Goal 2: Buy an engagement ring :ssh: It's going to cost a little less than my current monthly salary. Luckily I have the cash for it without dipping into my long-term savings, but it's worth listing as a financial goal because it's a significant, unusual expense. Lucky for us, she and I both prefer a city hall wedding, so there's no wedding savings to worry about
Still engaged :greenangel:

Goal 3: There used to be a lot of words here about setting aside housing/moving related money and maybe buying a house and now I'm definitely buying a house and we have it under contract so I'll just get to the point
I bought a friggin house! It's wonderful and I can't wait to tear up the big ol backyard and make a huge veggie garden and get some hens.
The monthly payment is affordable enough that I'll be able to make extra payments pretty regularly.
House re-wiring, some roof work, and bathroom work begin tomorrow. The cost of these was rolled into the loan
which I highly recommend if you ever see a house that looks almost perfect but e.g. the original 1920s wiring is a huge liability and you don't want to put up $10k cash up front to re-wire it. Many banks seem to offer renovation/construction mortgages where you buy + renovate/build. I get the impression that they're usually geared towards much bigger projects than the $15k one I'm doing, but nobody had a problem with it and here I am getting some nice work done while only marginally increasing my monthly payment.

Goal 4: Save 40% of my salary and put it in whatever asset allocation I figure out in goal 1, including maxing my 2016 Roth contribution.
Stretch goal: save 60% of my salary. Given what my living costs were during my PhD, and considering what taxes will cost me, I think this is the max I could save.
The ring is going to eat into this a little though. The housing/moving fund can come out of my existing cash savings.

I was holding off on moving much money until after the house was bought, but I'm maxing my 2016 Roth IRA contribution today. Other than that, I'm going to re-figure out my savings plan this month, now that the house is done.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

congrats my dude :byob1::respek::byob1:

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

So awesome! Congrats

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

2016 Goals
Goal 1: Emergency Fund to $5,000
Goal 2: Pay off Unsecured Loan
Goal 3: Pay off credit card
Goal 4: Pay off Student Loan - Pay is automatically docked each fortnight by the tax department on a sliding scale for this; they are taking $500 or so a fortnight automatically but a small lump sum payment will be needed to finish it off. At such a low interest rate it is low priority.
Goal 5: Emergency Fund to $10,000
Goal 6: Don't sell shares until December when I get to pay half tax.
Big Hairy Stretch Goal: $30,000 towards a deposit on a second property.

Total Debt to pay off: $29,637 + interest (~$2,000)
Total Emergency Fund to build: $10,000

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

First 6 weeks of the year progress:
1) Emergency Fund $0 -> $989. (This is on auto transfer to be at $10,000 by end of year)
2) Unsecured Loan $11,858 -> $7,974
3) Credit Card $4,351 -> $3,508
4) Paid $1,170 off student loans
Total debt paid in 6 weeks: $5,897
Total emergency fund built: $989

First quarter and a bit of the year progress:

interesting happenings; my brother and I bought my father hearing aids. he desperately needed them and i had 3 grand in my emergency fund so we did it. makes me a bit further back on my goals but felt pretty drat nice to have it there due to budgeting.

1) Emergency Fund: $476. Still on auto transfer but depleted
2) Unsecured Loan: $11,858 -> $5,698
3) Credit Card: $4,351 -> $3,280
4) Paid $3,880 off student loans

Total debt paid in 15 weeks: $11,111
Total Emergency fund built: $476

Including the 3k for hearing aids, i'm still tracking at roughly $1,000 a week off debt which will get me to target but there is a lot of frivolous spending i need to keep in check. Lifestyle creep is real

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

2) Unsecured Loan: $11,858 -> $5,698
3) Credit Card: $4,351 -> $3,280
4) Paid $3,880 off student loans

Total debt paid in 15 weeks: $11,111

Despite other events that's a pretty good debt reduction so far. If you can keep it up the next 15 weeks will be pretty good.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

Kind of early April update, since I'm bored and know what my next paycheck will be on Friday:

1) Hit this goal last month, haven't had to use it, still sitting at 10k.
2) Now contributing $950/month! So, kinda achieved--I won't hit the 18k/year limit at this rate though. Probably should redefine that as a stretch goal.
3) Debt paydown increased, now paying down at $1500/month. Should be paid off in September at this rate. Balance after this payment will be $5600.
4) Sent $1k to the photographer, savings now sitting at $500. Basically adjusting this to "have $4k sitting around by end of year" since I sent off that $1k.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Hopefully I do a better job in 2016 of sticking to goals than I did in 2015, though I don't imagine another engagement and house purchase.

Omne's 2016 Financial Goals
1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.
4. Increase personal emergency fund to $10k (Current balance: $6900).
5. Stretch Goal: Pay down the 6.8% student loan to under $10k

Just want to say....goal #1 is complete! We were able to cover the entire wedding with money we had saved up, including the rehearsal dinner expense that we hadn't originally planned for. Additionally, we no longer need to cover the honeymoon, as that has been given to us as a a VERY generous gift!

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

overdesigned posted:

Kind of early April update, since I'm bored and know what my next paycheck will be on Friday:

1) Hit this goal last month, haven't had to use it, still sitting at 10k.
2) Now contributing $950/month! So, kinda achieved--I won't hit the 18k/year limit at this rate though. Probably should redefine that as a stretch goal.
3) Debt paydown increased, now paying down at $1500/month. Should be paid off in September at this rate. Balance after this payment will be $5600.
4) Sent $1k to the photographer, savings now sitting at $500. Basically adjusting this to "have $4k sitting around by end of year" since I sent off that $1k.

Unsolicited advice but IMO it is a mistake on several levels to pay off a 3% loan faster than required if you are not maxing out your 401k contributions.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Omne posted:

Just want to say....goal #1 is complete! We were able to cover the entire wedding with money we had saved up, including the rehearsal dinner expense that we hadn't originally planned for. Additionally, we no longer need to cover the honeymoon, as that has been given to us as a a VERY generous gift!

Congratulations :peanut:

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

Unsolicited advice but IMO it is a mistake on several levels to pay off a 3% loan faster than required if you are not maxing out your 401k contributions.

I may or may not be losing my job in the next 3-9 months and I'd like to be out from under that debt if it happens. But yeah good point that I hadn't considered fully.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

I wouldn't say it's that drastic. It's certainly a less efficient thing to do with your money, but the security or even relief of not having debt anymore can be huge.

It's like the snowball vs avalanche debt repayment. Sure, a hypothetical $5,000 at 7% is a bigger problem than $500 at %4, but being able to obliterate the entire second debt is a psychological motivator.

overdesigned posted:

I may or may not be losing my job in the next 3-9 months and I'd like to be out from under that debt if it happens. But yeah good point that I hadn't considered fully.

This is a good example.

I'm currently paying my 6.8% student loans rather than funding my IRA and 401k and I'm not that concerned about missing out on tax advantaged space. Although I might be a complete hypocrite and start funding those once I'm left with just loans at 3.5%

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Apr 27, 2016

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
It'd be materially different if you were talking taxable investments in liquid instruments but yeah, in this case I agree with debt repayment instead of 401k contributions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Moneyball posted:

I wouldn't say it's that drastic. It's certainly a less efficient thing to do with your money, but the security or even relief of not having debt anymore can be huge.

It's like the snowball vs avalanche debt repayment. Sure, a hypothetical $5,000 at 7% is a bigger problem than $500 at %4, but being able to obliterate the entire second debt is a psychological motivator.

This is a good example.

I'm currently paying my 6.8% student loans rather than funding my IRA and 401k and I'm not that concerned about missing out on tax advantaged space. Although I might be a complete hypocrite and start funding those once I'm left with just loans at 3.5%

Losing your job with outstanding debt is actually a good example of why saving money with strong legal protections against creditors is usually better than paying off low interest debt. While you cannot eat paid off loans, you may be able to take loans against or withdraw principal from 401k and IRAs to fund your living expenses if you lose your job and exhaust your emergency fund, have a medical emergency, become disabled, have a disastrous expense at your home, are sued, etc etc. If the poo poo really hit the fan and you had to declare bankruptcy or creditors sought judgements against you, retirement accounts are heavily protected. This is entirely ignoring the enormous tax, estate planning, and of course investment return advantages of holding a diversified portfolio in a retirement accounts versus paying off a 3% loan.

• Locked thread