Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

tumblr hype man posted:

Gone back and forth on these, but here goes.

1. Finish paying off student loans this year, about $11k left at the moment.

2. Increase net worth to $30k, about $4k right now.

3. Don't buy a new loving car.

Not a strict goal, but one I will really need to hit in order to accomplish the above goals is grossing about $1k in sales from flipping stuff on eBay in addition to my day job. Gonna be tough but if I can do it I should fly past these goals by the end of the year.

Borrowed the last $3,200 or so from my e-fund just to get this finished. I did decide to wrap up my side gig as well, so we'll see if I can actually hit $30k this year. Bailing on that may be BWM but it should be good with mental and social health. Still haven't bought a new car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

tumblr hype man posted:

Borrowed the last $3,200 or so from my e-fund just to get this finished. I did decide to wrap up my side gig as well, so we'll see if I can actually hit $30k this year. Bailing on that may be BWM but it should be good with mental and social health. Still haven't bought a new car.

Congrats! I can't wait to see the same thing (from the same servicer too)

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Update:
1. By the end of January, pay off last ~$1450 CC balance
1/31: DONE

2. Maintain 0 balance on credit cards this time, goddammit
1/31: cards set up to pay full balance every month so I can't forget and carry it over
4/28: still doing it yay

3. Add $4000 to efund
4/28: working on it, I have added a little over $1000

4. Max 2016 IRA
4/28: automatic monthly contributions have been happening since the beginning of the year so this is on track :toot:
Also I realized the other day that my IRA is now bigger than the remainder I owe on my house so that felt pretty good.

5. Start and fund HSA
4/28: no progress yet, kinda want to focus on the other stuff for now since my overall goal is breaking bad habits so I want to get stable and stay that way for a while, probably will put this off til closer to next tax time. I'm starting to worry about my car; it's 12 years old and I don't want to replace it yet but need to be prepared if it starts having problems, so getting my efund nice and beefy to cover potential car issues is the higher priority at the moment.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $60.5k

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $2680/$5400. I just might end up paying this puppy off before the end of the year.

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! $1.5k in the vacay fund. Spent a little over Spring Break to see some friends. Much needed.

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. Turns out, I am part time this semester, so I got a $680 refund. Put $100 towards Goal 1, $300 towards Goal 6 and of course got a emergency vet bill for $250. Good timing.

5. No credit card debt. On track.

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $850/$1500. Likely becoming a laptop fund.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - On track

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Done - currently at 126k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Actively seeking estimates for the front yard. Kitchen may be delayed if my contract gets extended until the end of the year. 39k currently in Ally as emergency savings/renovation budget.

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Done - spent a week in the Caribbean! :3:

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - On track

2) Generate side income - Nothing so far

If I keep working the same contract through 2016, I'll put off the kitchen until January (since I work out of town and I want to be home for a remodel) and instead focus on beating my stretch goal for the mortgage, with some extra in the taxable investment account, if that's an acceptable toxx modification to y'all goons.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2016 Goals (Apr. update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will I'm doing this in the next few days
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there)
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough)
- Take a vacation
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to
- Release two iPhone apps

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Make 3 extra mortgage payments
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet)

Not much progress in April, unfortunately.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
April Update:

#1 - No kids, no house. I'll update this one if I gently caress up in the future. :v:
#2 - No progress. I got sucked into #6.
#3 - New site updates are complete. We're going to do a relaunch in June. I'm giving it 6 months to profitability, after which point I shut it down if not.
#4 - I put this off for April because I have a nice, week-long vacation coming up in May. This month was okay, stress-wise, so no need for the extra spending.
#5 - $50K/$100K Stretch: April Savings: I'm up to $23K. In May, I'm getting a $20,000 bonus (pre-tax) which should boost things a good bit more. (See #6)
#6 - I accepted the new job. My total cash compensation (excluding health insurance, intangibles, etc) goes from around $130K to $225K (ignoring vesting periods for RSUs and assuming no return for SARs). Additionally, I negotiated a $20,000 signing bonus for the new role. This makes up for #2 and #5 slow progress.

Looking good so far. I think I'll end the year on a good note. :)

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

April update:

1) Starting on this now because...

2) This is going well and...

3) This is complete. Saved up $2.5k as of a few weeks ago and also remembered that I'll be able to claim funemployment insurance during my month abroad so I won't be completely broke when I return.

4) This has been a complete bust (oops) but I'm selling old clothes so it's kind of like one in, one out. So that's good.

I'm not as far as I wanted to be but I'm on track and doing okay, which is all I could ask for.

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

CaptainRat posted:

1) Grow my emergency fund to $3,000 On track

2) Pay off $10K student loan debt On track - I've adjusted some budgets and raised the larger targeted payment

3) Be prepared for trips and holidays. On track

4) Eat out less and stick to my current restaurant / food budget Ugh

5) (Optional/stretch goal) Get 1 month ahead in my checking account On hold

I'm doing well on most of my goals, up to less than -$3K net worth so positive is in sight in 4 months or so at my current rate. Goal 4 slipped somewhat the last couple months, I ate like a monster, compensating for spending too much on food by spending less in other categories. It was nice to keep within my overall budget and not overspend the money coming in even if I wasn't keeping to my category goals as well.

Student loan 1 of 4 should be paid off by the end of June at this rate.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
May Update: See April Update. Also, I am still broke at the start of every month despite having already paid off some debts and it loving sucks. I may look for a new job just so I can make more money, which feels so pragmatic as to border on slimy. I made $1100 in my side job for April though, which I think is a record and hopefully I won't have to drop all of that on a surprise expense during the month.

legsarerequired
Dec 31, 2007
College Slice
I'm pretty embarrassed because I've been eating out more and I took a trip to Belize in April. Also, my sister (who I have a strained relationship with) asked me to go with her to LA over Memorial Day weekend and after debating it I decided to go as her birthday present this year. Definitely not good with money and that's part of why I haven't been posting in this thread.

- Salary: $44,100 (yay!)
- CC debt: 0, except for what I use for 5% cash back and pay back every month
- 401k: Vested in ~$29k, ~$33k total
- Roth: $10,300
- Emergency savings: $2000 in my checking. Sigh
- Car down payment savings: $10 in Ally Bank. Because I moved my savings to the roth.

Progress on savings goals:
- I increased my 401k contribution to 8% because I am no where near the goals I set for myself.
- Increase my income somehow--possibly in line to get a promotion, I've started freelance writing on the side.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Boring April update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% - Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - $25k fully funded, with $4k for overages. We won't need all 4k, but we are probably going to hit ~$26k. Close enough to the budget that I'm fine with it.
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - The remainder of the 4k above, plus any cash from the wedding if we're so fortunate will go to this. Stretch goal is unlikely, and probably dependent on outside factors, but $29k should happen.

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - Uneventful
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track (knocks on wood)
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track, too busy with wedding stuff to think about it.
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - On track.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - On track.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - 5 pounds down. 2nd month in a row where I could be doing better here. Still very possible to hit the goal by the end of the year, but more effort is required. Wedding+honeymoon this month doesn't bode well for that, but if I can hold steady this month, I should be able to make progress next month.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 6, 2016

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Was gonna do this earlier, but I just got a job offer with a higher salary so I can tweak my goals a little bit.

1. 50% of salary goes into retirement accounts (401k/Roth/taxable) - With the new salary I think this is much more doable.
2. Increase net worth to ~65k, or rather put about $25k into retirement if the market remains flat or whatever. Market gains aren't really a goal.
3. Don't get married - or if I do, don't have an expensive wedding
4. Don't have kids
5. No new debt - no house, no new car, etc
6. Start a budget with YNAB. I'm doing well with money I think, but I feel like some cuts can be made.

Fortunately, I don't have any debt (other than whats on my upcoming credit card bill which I pay off in full every month), so I can focus on cutting expenses and investing.

Eh, I bought a car. Not because I needed one, and now I've got $18k to pay off over the next couple of years. It's technically the first time I've ever bought a car though, I've always had a hand-me-down from my parents.
My interest rate is low enough that I don't need to rush to pay it off because my investment accounts will very likely pay more, so I'm stretching it out over 5 years.

Other than that, my Roth is maxed out, and my 401k is going well (not contributing enough to max it though). Keeping it on the straight and narrow with #3 and #4.

The YNAB budget is going great, discretionary spending is way down (aside from the car)

e: Now that I think about it, I ought to up my 401k contribution since my IRA is maxed out, so I've got some excess in my budget that would otherwise go into a taxable account.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 30, 2016

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

End of May Update

1) This is still done.
2) Still contributing $950/month.
3) Another accelerated payment, balance down to about $4k
4) Added $500, so $1k in there now, towards the net $4k goal.

Also I found out I'm selected for promotion, so in like 9 months, if I'm still employed, that'll be a cool 18% raise. :toot:

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

May update inline.

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% - Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - Total ended up at $27970.29. A bit more than the $25k we planned for, but everything went great. Paid in all cash, emergency fund still fully funded, so goal successful!
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - I've got $6500 burning a hole in my pocket to send to the loans tomorrow. Stretch is all but impossible now, barring unexpected windfall, but we're on track for the main goal, and on track to be completely debt free in Q1 2017.

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - Uneventful
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track *knocks on wood*
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track, too busy with wedding stuff to think about it.
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - On track.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - On track.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - Wedding and wedding planning knocked me off track here. Hoping this drops like my student loan balance now. Goal is still possible (I made it knowing the first half of the year would be sketchy), but I can't afford any more bad months.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 31, 2016

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals:

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $61.7k. Not sure I'm going to hit this one.

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $3080/$5400. Doing well!

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! $1.6k in the vacay fund. Buuuuut I decided to teach Summer School. :(

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. DONE

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $1074/$1500. Aw yeah.

Doing well. I decided to teach Summer School so I could afford to buy a new laptop without raiding any of the progress I have made. Should also have some extra to throw at the car which is nice.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals:

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $61.7k. Not sure I'm going to hit this one.

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $3080/$5400. Doing well!

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! $1.6k in the vacay fund. Buuuuut I decided to teach Summer School. :(

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. DONE

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $1074/$1500. Aw yeah.

Doing well. I decided to teach Summer School so I could afford to buy a new laptop without raiding any of the progress I have made. Should also have some extra to throw at the car which is nice.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

KGJr Goals 2016 Edition

Still have weird cashflow, so some goals to be executed by Jan 1 2016, the rest during the year. I need to be more accountable to my year end goals.

Before Jan 1
Pay off car completely, $8,625 @ 4.2% done
Put another $8,000 in emergency fund done
Put $10k towards house down payment done
Save $4k for vacation done

During 2016 - pre 2016 bonus
Max 401k to take advantage of absurd match - $18k. I have set my contribution amount to support this. on track
Save $6k towards house down payment $2,000 saved so far
Don't move out of current apartment while keeping rent increase under $100/mo just signed leasse with a $50/mo increase
Don't get married / have kids so far so good!
Take a cool vacation big fall euro vacation scheduled

I will add the stretch goal of net worth of $175k (including retirement, excluding checking) at end of year. Right now it's like $140.5k.

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R
Currently working through a tough separation with my partner of over 7 years (emotionally, financially, etc.), SO this years goals are hosed until further notice.

Zuph posted:

Alright, Financial Goals 2016:

0. Pay off Credit Card Done!
1. Max out Roth IRA On Track
2. Increase Emergency Fund to $10,000
3. Get one month ahead on all expenses (YNAB Rule 4, currently 1 paycheck ahead)
4. Save enough additionally to take a vacation/visit friends in Denver
5. Start some relatively self-sustaining side venture that earns some mostly passive income

New 2. Keep net worth (excluding retirement) approximately the same, while maintaining retirement savings rate, separating households, and moving into a new place.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
May Update:

#1 - Still good. (No house or babies)
#2 - No progress. I got sucked into new job and apartment hunting. I've set up the basics for the next book, though, so June will probably show some better progress. (Side business #1 revenue increase)
#3 - Site re-launching in two weeks. We'll see how it does! (Growth of side business #2)
#4 - I'm unemployed for the next 19 days. That's pretty relaxing on its own. :) Also, I spent a week in Florida in May. (Relaxation)
#5 - We're going to have to slam down a TON for move-in rent at our new place (wherever it is), so probably not much progress on this until the $20K signing bonus hits the bank. It's not coming until my start date, though. (Savings goal)
#6 - New job starts 20JUN2016. This will be fun. :) (Career improvements goal)

May was a bit of a wash because of the job change. I spent a week in Florida on the beach, negotiated a way better job and salary than I had before, and now I'm relocating to San Francisco which would be the epitome of BWM if not for the rent subsidy. :) Fun!

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:
Possibly wrong thread but i see it mentioned a lot here; what is the standard/generally accepted way to calculate net worth? Is equity in your home included? Retirement accounts?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Jon Von Anchovi posted:

Possibly wrong thread but i see it mentioned a lot here; what is the standard/generally accepted way to calculate net worth? Is equity in your home included? Retirement accounts?

I'd definitely include your retirement accounts in your net worth. Housing? Ehh... not so sure. Equity seems like a reasonable thing to account for as long as you're balancing it out with the mortgage debt on the other side. I would not include either of them if you're talking liquid wealth, though (but sure, for net worth).

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

Potrzebie posted:

Monetary Goals:

Increase salary by 10% Success! 14% higher pay. Also better benefits.
Reduce car commutes by 20%, replace with public transit or bike. Reduced by 80%! Started biking to work. It is awesome! Car gets used once a week when I have open water training in the city at 06:30.
Grow portfolio by 10% -19% YTD, but that is OK, my microstock will go to the moon before end of year and this downslump is just the market being irrational :downs:
Increase monthly savings from 20% of salary to 30%. First month where this is possible, due to higher income. This will probably happen until september, then BABY will poo poo on this goal both litterarily and figuratively.

Stretch goals:
Increase salary by 20%. We'll see. If I am still employed come November my position will roll over to a permanent one, giving me an opportunity to negotiate for a raise.
New, better job closer to home so I never need to take the god damned car. Success! New job at 35 min commute by bike/buss, or 10 minutes by car.

Other goals:

Make baby Baby made. ETA 18: September
Become a boss at open water swimming on the company dime. :itshappening: :krakken:
Have a net surplus on the happiness account. I am net happy by quite a lot right now
Delete Facebook account. :confuoot:Success? Deactivated. Not sure delete is an option.

Non-goal financial happenings: The kind folks at the Tax Agency blatantly told me to do my taxes better and deduct past losses from a short lived side business. This will net me approximately $2k.

E/N rant edit: Facebook goal might fail eventually. It sucks rear end to not have, since very few people I know bother to invite people (or just me :ohdear:) to anything outside of FB invites. This means that my wife is being misused as some sort of secretary, where my lazy rear end friends contact her on FB to invite me to stuff.

Potrzebie fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 1, 2016

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

Thanks to a post-graduation windfall I've hit my savings goals (and then some) so now I'm working on my debts, which now includes some student loans, although many are in deferment until December :geno:

I am now on the hunt for a well-paying job that furthers my career and gives me a decent nest egg to sit on so that I don't blow through my savings like crazy. But I'm really glad I have these savings so that I can be comfortable while I'm looking for said job.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

See my student loan rage! (Blue is assets, red is debt. Assets dropped in May to pay for the wedding, student loan payments are in June)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not a Children posted:

Okay, in for another year! I blew my 2015 goals away kind of easily, so I think I need to set my goals a little higher this year. I'm turning 26 this year, and that means no more mooching off my parents' insurance, so things are gonna get a little rougher! Here's what I've got:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). Still below $[redacted]k, but I'm gonna come within striking distance. All depends on the overtime!
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track. Going to have to raise contributions to qualify for a couple of educational tax credits.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done.
- Take and pass the EIT exam. Studying has begun. Test date tentatively scheduled for September.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Took longer than I expected, but done! Got an excellent deal on a 1br rental.
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. Scheduled for July.
- Stay the hell outta debt. Donezo.
- Finish 4 more classes with Bs or better for that sweet sweet free education :911: Spring Semester down!

ONGOING GOALS:
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Failed, barely.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Success, so I can easily see how I am failing miserably.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Might have to do this toward the end of the year to bring my MAGI low enough to use educational tax credits.
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Blew by this.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth See above
- Keep my 4.0 GPA Bs get degrees

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Hopefully I do a better job in 2016 of sticking to goals than I did in 2015, though I don't imagine another engagement and house purchase.

Omne's 2016 Financial Goals
1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.
4. Increase personal emergency fund to $10k (Current balance: $6900).
5. Stretch Goal: Pay down the 6.8% student loan to under $10k

1. COMPLETE!
2. Still good here. My wife has a bit, so we are trying to take care of that before some of the other goals we have
3. Current balance is $1200, so getting there!
4. COMPLETE. With wedding cash gifts, current emergency savings is up to $11k. We'll keep adding to it, as our ultimate goal is $30k
5. Current balance on this loan is $12,900.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
5-month update: hit my stretch goal of 1M nw, woohoo! Still need to close out the business checking account to get everything consolidated and allocate a lot more to bonds than I currently have. Adding a goal of refinancing to a regular mortgage to get a better rate. Starting in August, I'll be quitting writing completely to take care of the screaming poop machine we've decided to create. Semi-retirement, here I come :toot:

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

moana posted:

5-month update: hit my stretch goal of 1M nw, woohoo! Still need to close out the business checking account to get everything consolidated and allocate a lot more to bonds than I currently have. Adding a goal of refinancing to a regular mortgage to get a better rate. Starting in August, I'll be quitting writing completely to take care of the screaming poop machine we've decided to create. Semi-retirement, here I come :toot:

Awesome and inspirational. Congratulations :toot:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Well after an interesting 2015 I am ready to get back into some really good financial goals.

Goals
1) Pay off ex's student loans (part of my divorce stuff). This is about $23,000.
2) Pay off my student loans. This is about $3,650.
3) Increase 401k contribution by 1% after raise in March, 11% of gross plus 4% match. (I might just do this even if I don't get a raise)
4) Purchase trip to Bald Face Lodge in 2017 for my 30th birthday, it will cost about $4,000 but completely worth it. Hopefully I can get some peeps to go with.
5) Sell or be bought out of my house and move closer to work, should net between $30-40K for my share baring a huge crash.

Stretch Goals - Based on the house sell or buy out
1) Max out 401k.
2) Pay off my car. Approximately $11,500.

Non-Financial Goal
1) Move in with my awesome girlfriend.

1) Done
2) Done
3) Done
4) Decided on a 2 week ski road trip via the mountain collective pass. Should be great.
5) Sold, Denver Market is crazy, $50K cash out

1) Plan to do this in July, now with no debt I need a month to figure out my new baseline budget
2) Done
3) Max out Roth IRA (New goal) Just need to log in a be done with it.

1) On track

I need to figure out what to do with my money now... that is probably my new goal for the next couple months. More investments, more trips, charity, who knows.

Excited for the next chapter in my life.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2016 Goals (May. update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will Written. Need it signed by two non-family witnesses to make it official. Wills are weird.
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) This money slowly keeps growing. I need to increase my HSA or 401k contribution. Probably HSA, because my 401k fund options have stupid high expense ratios.
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere) Re-evaluated. My wife and I like that nice egg for emergencies. Not for everyone, but works for us.
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment I know I called this done last month, but after reading some books, I realize that a 3.625% mortgage shouldn't be a financial priority since it's low interest. Reducing my mortgage payment to the minimum and gonna see how my budget changes with that.
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough)
- Take a vacation
- Release two iPhone apps

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Done
3) Done
4) Decided on a 2 week ski road trip via the mountain collective pass. Should be great.
5) Sold, Denver Market is crazy, $50K cash out

1) Plan to do this in July, now with no debt I need a month to figure out my new baseline budget
2) Done
3) Max out Roth IRA (New goal) Just need to log in a be done with it.

1) On track

I need to figure out what to do with my money now... that is probably my new goal for the next couple months. More investments, more trips, charity, who knows.

Excited for the next chapter in my life.

Put $5500 in my Roth. Maxed my 401K.

So I basically have no goals now for the second half of the year. I guess I will look at how things are going and try to see what other goals I can add to the list in July. I feel really accomplished right now.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Woot! Now your goal should just be to lay back in a hammock sipping cocktails for a week straight. Seriously, though, take some time and enjoy the hell out of your accomplishments for a bit :)

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Woot! Now your goal should just be to lay back in a hammock sipping cocktails for a week straight. Seriously, though, take some time and enjoy the hell out of your accomplishments for a bit :)

I hear you for sure. I have been driving hard at my goals for the last 5 years (maybe longer) so I almost feel a void. Most people I just can't share these great things with though unfortunately.

I think I unfortunately face a reality that I need to start saving for my mom once alimony runs out from my dad. My one sister might be able to help, doubtful on my bro and other sister. I don't have much confidence in my mom working a lot or saving at all. I think she has about 80K for retirement.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

2016! YES! A Year for optimism.

Forced optimism, mind you. There's plenty of emo bullshit that nobody wants to hear, so let's get to the checkpoints (not necessarily in any particular order):

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

WAIT WHAT? Yeah, my wife got a new car. She was tired of leasing (which I had said for a decade was a bad idea) but she kind of went at it in a wonky way and welp, brand new Rav4.
$20k :barf: I'm looking to get rid of the whole shebang as quick as possible, but the rate is 2.69% so I'm not trying to liquidate the taxable fund.

4-Continue funding 529

5-Pay down the mortgage by an extra $15,000

Stretch of a stretch (because the endgoals for #3 and #5 are stretches themselves) - somehow manage to do all of this AND minimize the tax refund to under $1000

1, 2, and 4 on schedule

3 - She has shaved off an extra 2.6k so far, yay!

5 - :unsmith: So, I helped out my sister with this money because she was in a pinch after the Verizon strike. I'm still accumulating, but nowhere near making the goal.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spwrozek posted:

I hear you for sure. I have been driving hard at my goals for the last 5 years (maybe longer) so I almost feel a void. Most people I just can't share these great things with though unfortunately.

I think I unfortunately face a reality that I need to start saving for my mom once alimony runs out from my dad. My one sister might be able to help, doubtful on my bro and other sister. I don't have much confidence in my mom working a lot or saving at all. I think she has about 80K for retirement.

That's a bummer :[ Will she be getting anything from Social Security at least?

Also, congrats on your financial achievements YTD :respek:

balancedbias posted:

5 - :unsmith: So, I helped out my sister with this money because she was in a pinch after the Verizon strike. I'm still accumulating, but nowhere near making the goal.

Hey, that's really cool of you!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Original post.

1. Completely pay off all miscellaneous debt ($1800 at start of year). - On track.
2. Finally move my 401k from my previous employer over to my new one.
3. Pay 25% of my current student loan debt back into it. Stretch goal of 30%. - On track.
4. Cut the money owed to my parents in half. - On track.
5. Save up $2000 by next fall for planned overseas trip Christmas 2016. - Money saved up, mother-in-law is working on getting group rate tickets for everyone coming over so this will be marked complete once the ticket is actually purchased.
6. Start contributing to our joint savings account. - COMPLETE (Jan)
7. Hit at least $650/mo in my current side job. - Came up $7 short for May, but in my defense I didn't receive any assignments for a whole week. Hoping that this doesn't become a summer trend since my clients are primarily in academia, but I am at least way over 650/mo average YTD.

Things that would be nice to do:
8. Merge back accounts with my wife.
9. Save up for a new computer. - COMPLETE (Feb)
10. Set up actual budgets for both myself and my wife.
11. Take a trip somewhere. - NO CONTEST (Jan)
12. Get my wife a job.

On the bright side, my side job gave me a 30-33% raise (depending on the type of assignment) effective immediately :toot: Might re-adjust that monthly side job target, though again my fear is that the summer will be kind of slow.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

That's a bummer :[ Will she be getting anything from Social Security at least?

I need to figure that out. She worked for herself for 20+ years. My dad always did some shady tax stuff though to save the family money so I am honestly not sure. I don't see how she couldn't have paid in though. I am sure it will all work out somehow...

Thanks for the good vibes.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Q2 Update:

-Max 401k. On pace!
-Max my and my wife's IRAs. On pace!
-Max my HSA. On pace!
-Pay off personal loan I took out to sell the underwater condo(we'd be 100% debt-free after this!). $16,000 out of 26,000 paid off. On pace!!
-Add 2,000 to emergency fund. Not started.

stretch goal:
-Add 10,000 to house down payment fund (this would be the start of said fund, at the very end of the year).Not started.

I'm feeling pretty good about achieving even my stretch goal after making it a bigger stretch goal in the last update, but we'll see.

Having needed to take out a $32k loan just to move out of my condo last summer, it's nice to see that loan go (just barely) down to four figures.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainRat
Apr 18, 2003

It seems the secret to your success is a combination of boundless energy and enthusiastic insolence...

CaptainRat posted:

1) Grow my emergency fund to $3,000 Complete

2) Pay off $10K student loan debt On track - Loan 1 of 4 paid off

3) Be prepared for trips and holidays. On track

4) Eat out less and stick to my current restaurant / food budget On track

5) (Optional/stretch goal) Get 1 month ahead in my checking account On hold

I paid off the first loan of four mid-month and confirmed how the automated payments will work now that that's over (I wasn't sure if it was going to stay the same payment amount and just retarget the overage to other loans or if the amount that was directed to the now-paid loan would just disappear, and it's the latter), and I've recalculated what the targeted payment will be for the next loan.

Our yearly trip to GenCon turned into a yearly trip to Origins, and I had saved for that; however, I had back problems that, up until about a week or so ago, precluded me from doing things like standing or walking while carrying a bag for longer than around 10 minutes, which would have seriously made Origins miserable, so instead of going to that I used the savings to pay off back-related medical expenses and put the rest back into my actual savings account, the consequence of which is that I'm ahead on that savings goal. I also have to adjust my budget slightly because my gym is closing and I need to find a new one; I'm going to sign up at my local Y that's literally right next door, but the monthly payment is going to be a little higher so I'll need to find that somewhere, so now that my savings goal is met I'll likely make up the difference from part of that automatic payment and use the remainder to further pay down the student loans.

I'm probably a month away from positive net worth at this point (I might have technically gotten there, with a subsequent drop back into negative once the rent check cleared, if not for Brexit causing the markets to poo poo themselves, but that's fine, the primary method for increasing my net worth right now was going to be debt reduction and not asset growth anyway).

• Locked thread