Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Original Post | First Quarter Update | Second Quarter Update | Third Quarter Update | End of Year Update

Retirement Savings Goals
  • My Roth IRA: Goal $3,500 | Stretch goal $5,500 | To-date $1,250
  • Wife's Roth IRA: Goal $3,500 | Stretch goal $5,500 | To-date $750
  • My 457(b): Goal $10,000 | Stretch goal $12,500 | To-date $6,000
  • Her TSP: Goal $6,000 | Stretch goal $10,000 | To-date $800
  • Total: Goal $23,000 | Stretch goal $33,500 | To-date $8,800
We're going to be able to exceed our stretch goals and max out all of these accounts, thanks to getting bought out of the family partnership :toot:

I feel positive that we would have hit the stretch goals without that, but it's nice to have the means to blow by them.

House Savings Goals
Goal $9,000 | Stretch goal $15,000 | To-date $3,900

As above, we're going to exceed this thanks to the proceeds of the sale of my partnership share :toot:

Resolve family partnership issues and improve tax withholding situation
Goal: Be on track to exit partnership in 2017 | Stretch goal: Exit partnership by the end of 2016 | To-date: We're out!

My aunt bought us out. She pulled some real crazy underhanded poo poo but in the end we got out. Still have to pay the attorney and then I'm sure my aunt is gonna jerk us around on getting tax forms to us in a timely fashion for 2017, but we are out OUT OUT and this goal is completed as hell :toot:

Get my parents to update their will
I'm going to take this up with my folks in August.

No gambling in my home state
Still good on this so far. Haven't been elsewhere either.

Stop applying for credit cards after July
I think we're probably done with cards after this last round of applications. Now we're in the process of booking this and this and this. :toot:

2016 is going great so far!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loan Dusty Road
Feb 27, 2007
Mid year update.

1. Getting married in October - Spend less than $3,000 on wedding. Pretty sure we are going over this. Hopefully we can keep it under $4k though.
2. Spend less than $4,000 on 3 week honeymoon Still TBD
3. Max out 2015, 2016, and have cash on hand Dec.31 for 2017 Roth IRA (mine and hers). Neither of us have had an IRA before. Maxed my 2015 in February, and hers in March. Won't reach this, but will only be short by a few thousand. Will hopefully get around 90% of the way there.
4. Build emergency fund up to $10k. ($15k stretch goal) Won't reach this assuming I dump most money into Roth IRAs.
5. Actually start her business and generate $3,000 in revenue ($10k stretch goal) Made $1,100 so far!
6. Get my PMP cert. Need to increase my studying rate. Half way there

Not exactly hitting my goals, but they were lofty in the first place. This is the first time we've had a joint budget, and we've had to increase a few categories (groceries, discretionary, date night, household) over the last few months as we got a clearer picture of what we can handle. We are still making great progress and saving more than we ever have.

opposable thumbs.db
Jan 7, 2008
It's hard to say that it's wrong that my life revolves around my dog when she is cuter and more interesting than me
Pillbug

opposable thumbs.db posted:

Goals for 2016:

Financial:
1. Max out 401k. Done
2. Max out Roth IRA in the next week. Done
3. Maintain 0 balance on credit cards Done
4. Increase emergency fund by $2,500, just in case. $3,500
5. Purchase around $17,000 worth of my vested employee stock options, using at least $10,000 from money saved this year, with the remainder coming from previous years’ savings. Done, waiting on the company
6. Move the remainder of my investments away from a managed brokerage account that I had when I didn’t know better. I’ve done this for the most part, but I need to finish it off. Also move some existing non-managed investments to lower-cost funds. Done
7. Keep non-investment expenses at <50% of take-home salary. At around 39-40%

Non-financial:
1. Move out of my current house. It’s cheap but it’s super messy and has accumulated a ton of crap from previous residents, which means that none of us are particularly motivated to clean. Moving to New York in a few days
2. Try to move to a more interesting location, likely either San Francisco (close) or New York (far). Done
3. Make sure that my current position is one I desire for the long term, figuring out what I want from my career. Sort of. I definitely know more now and I'm trying a new opportunity at work.
4. Take a nice trip! I don’t take enough vacations. I have a few weeks planned out in the second half of the year
5. Lose 8-10 pounds.Down 13-15 now, but still plan on losing more.
6. Read all of a list of books I’ve found related to my profession. Need to catch up on this

This has been a good year so far.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy

overdesigned posted:

1) Get emergency fund up to 10k (adding 6500)
2) Resume (and max out) 401k/TSP contributions
3) Pay off approx $8700 of unsecured loan (at 3%)
4) Get at least $5k saved up for wedding (stretch goal: $10k)

July Update:

1) Still at 10k
2) Still contributing $950/mo (also I played day-trader and dodged the Brexit drop, back to buy and hold like a good, sane person now. +2500 from that.)
3) Loan down to 3k now. (-1000)
4) Wedding savings at $1250 (+250)

Things are looking pretty okay. I moved back to Mississippi, which cost some money, and my roommate moved out so there goes that rental income, and my fiance quit her job that she hates to go to grad school but despite all these things, we're well-prepared and positioned to continue being good with money.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals:

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $62.7k. Not sure I'm going to hit this one.

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $3450/$5400. Doing well!

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! Renting a cabin on San Juan Island for two days in August. :)

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. DONE

5. No credit card debt. On track.

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $1250/$1500. Aw yeah.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

spinst posted:

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! Renting a cabin on San Juan Island for two days in August. :)

Enjoy! I always enjoy hearing about people's vacations in this thread. Doing anything particular out there or just taking it easy?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2016 Goals (Jun. update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will Still need it signed.
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Bought a TV stand, so it's not sitting on the floor anymore. The living room looks very nice now!
- Take a vacation Booking a cabin rental today or tomorrow. Spending an extra-long weekend in the Smokies.
- Release two iPhone apps

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle I'm going to move some of the extra money in our checking account towards a hefty down-payment on a new vehicle. Leaning towards a Pilot or something similar. Will most likely sell her car on eBay - had a decent experience doing that with my car several years ago.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

pig slut lisa posted:

Enjoy! I always enjoy hearing about people's vacations in this thread. Doing anything particular out there or just taking it easy?

Orca watching, maybe some kayaking... just need to get away for a few days!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
June Update:

#1 - Still good. (No house or babies)

#2 - Wow... um, terrible progress because I ended up spending most of June stuck in a hotel waiting for my poo poo to show up while learning the area. I don't really have much of an excuse since I could have written on my laptop, but instead I wandered the bay area and ate out at awesome sushi restaurants on my company's dime, saw the sights, and moved into my new apartment. This goal will be more for July than June, now. (Side business #1 revenue increase)

#3 - No computer due to moving meant no site relaunch, which meant I couldn't do poo poo with this in June. Delayed to July. (Growth of side business #2)

#4 - Mmm... I think California is its own type of relaxing, honestly. Moving is always a bitch, but my god do I love having tall eucalyptus trees right outside my window. It's like living in a loving spa or something. I think this goal is done for the year
because life is pretty loving great right now. (Relaxation goal: GOAL COMPLETE: No longer required because life no longer sucks.

#5 - I'm not going to be able to judge the savings goal for another month or two. The bank account is having huge fluctuations due to moving, new apartment expenses, huge paychecks and then tiny paychecks, etc etc. I'm in too much flux to say whether there has been any progress. By my little account book, I should end up around $25K by the end of July, but that may also change when we see if our car can pass California emissions / smog testing, or if we need a new car. (Our car is ancient, so repairing it to meet code just isn't happening. I'm not sinking $2K into a 20-yr-old car with 200,000 miles on it.) [Savings Goal]

#6 - My new job kicks all sorts of rear end. (Career improvements goal) GOAL COMPLETE: Quit a lovely job and got an amazing new one.

app
Dec 16, 2014
$$$$$$$$$

app posted:

2016 Goals:
1) $53K into 401k (via mega backdoor Roth)
2) $20k into eventual house down payment fund
3) $6k to max out family HSA
4) Cross $755k in total savings (retirement and non-tax advantaged) - currently at $690k... this will be a stretch
5) Increase gross income from $183k to at least $220k (lost an income from last year dropping us from $255k to $183k)

Assuming ~$200k in income, this will be:
~$60k in taxes
~$72k in spending (total, all in)
~$53k in retirement
~$15k in other savings

Mid Year Update:
1) 85% Complete - ($45k of $53k target)
2) Not Started - prioritizing 401k contributions
3) 50% Complete - cannot accelerate due to payroll contributions
4) Complete - market helped me out as did accelerating 401k contributions. Currently stand at $780k depending on the market.
5) Complete - Income increased to $224k - booo yaaa!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Update through two months

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Still waiting to see what my paychecks will be like with the raise / cost of living. Next pay will have "retroactive" pay, the following pay will be the new "normal".
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Almost halfway there. We're in no rush to do this right now.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Similar to #1
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $350 paid so far.

Half year update
1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Incremental indeed, but it's something. About 8% of our take home total goes into post-tax Roth/529s.
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Slowly plugging away, got some scope creep so I have no idea when we'll actually get to it and/or how much more we're going to need to save.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Increased to $75/pay.
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $500 paid so far. I think I'll be able to hit this as we should be pretty close to hitting some other savings goals early and we'll have another 3 check month sometime this year.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Sundae posted:

June Update:

#4 - Mmm... I think California is its own type of relaxing, honestly. Moving is always a bitch, but my god do I love having tall eucalyptus trees right outside my window. It's like living in a loving spa or something. I think this goal is done for the year
because life is pretty loving great right now. (Relaxation goal: GOAL COMPLETE: No longer required because life no longer sucks.

#6 - My new job kicks all sorts of rear end. (Career improvements goal) GOAL COMPLETE: Quit a lovely job and got an amazing new one.
You have no idea how happy this makes me :3:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
KGJr Goals 2016 Edition

Still have weird cashflow, so some goals to be executed by Jan 1 2016, the rest during the year. I need to be more accountable to my year end goals.

Before Jan 1
Pay off car completely, $8,625 @ 4.2%
Put another $8,000 in emergency fund
Put $10k towards house down payment
Save $4k for vacation

During 2016
Max 401k to take advantage of absurd match - $18k. I have set my contribution amount to support this. on track
Save $6k towards house down payment on track, $4,000 thus far
Don't move out of current apartment while keeping rent increase under $100/mo Signed new lease with $50/mo increase
Don't get married / have kids so far so good
Take a cool vacation planned and budgeted for september

Stretch goal: net worth of $175k (including retirement, excluding checking) at end of year. May: $140.5k. End of June: $142.7k this should be doable due to bonus structure

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jul 7, 2016

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Q2 update:
Things going well :)

Goal 1: Migrate my etrade roth IRA and taxable brokerage to Vanguard (already underway), and figure out a good allocation for me to stick with for retirement investment + low-risk assets for the money needed for goal 3

Migration was already done by March.
At end of Q1, I had my Roth IRA allocated as 10% total bond fund, 51% US stocks, 30% intl stocks, and 9% REIT.
Now that house-buying craziness is over, I have a taxable account opened at Vanguard and have been steadily saving in it. Need to re-figure out my overall allocation (and how to split between roth and regular accounts) for tax efficiency. Going to ask long-term investing thread for lazy-man suggestions about this.

Goal 2: Buy an engagement ring

Still engaged :greenangel:
Probably getting married at city hall later this year and throwing a small party in the backyard of our new house to celebrate. We don't want a big thing.

Goal 3: Buy a house

Achieved since Q1 and we love the h*ck out of our house :hellyeah:

Goal 4: Save 40% of my salary invested as long-term savings.
Stretch goal: save 60% of my salary.

At end of Q1, I was at about 8.5%. Things got slightly delayed from house-buying madness. I'm currently at 20% even in spite of house-buying, so I'm pretty much on track for 40%, as for the stretch goal I'll feel more comfortable waiting til later in the year to see if I can throw a little more in there and reach 60

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

alnilam posted:

Goal 3: Buy a house

Achieved since Q1 and we love the h*ck out of our house :hellyeah:

What's the best thing about your new house?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

What's the best thing about your new house?

Probably that despite being in a great location in the city, it is backyard as hell, and we love to garden.

Also the first floor is very open-plan and good for hanging out. It will be a very good house to host our cheapo post-elopement friend party.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Wait I meant to say "the people inside it :3:"

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

alnilam posted:

Wait I meant to say "the people inside it :3:"

lol

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
January post:

Moneyball posted:

2016 goal: Be worthless* :hellyeah:

*$24,400 combined debt repayment/savings and I will have a net worth of $0.

Last year I think I put a little too much E/N and too many numbers in to my first post. And I changed my focus a few times mid-year. This year, my goals are a little more clear.

Until I lose my 0% APR on my credit cards, I have around $3,000 a month income to play around with, with few expenses.

In order that I believe I can complete them:

1. Max out 2015 Roth IRA. (Mid-April)

2. Pay off my $8,800 @ 7.29 car loan. At that rate, I would get this done first, but have to meet the April 15th deadline for the IRA. I'll still knock it down by a lot before concentrating on the IRA, then resume paying it off. (May)

3. Pay off $4,000 credit card debt before the introductory 0% APR is up. $1,000 in October, rest at the end of 2016. (Technically, mid-January)

4. Max 2016 HSA. ($2,850 due to $500 employer contribution) (By last paycheck of year)

5. Stretch goal: Pay down student loans by $18,750 to only have 3.15% interest loans. (Leftover)

That's $21,150 not including the student loans, or $813 of my $1,400 paycheck. Even if I only start hacking away at my student loans, I'll be quite pleased.

Non-monetary goals:

1. Complete CPA

2. Get new job with CPA qualification.

1st quarter:

quote:

One more paycheck remaining for March, and I won't be spending much this week, so I'll go ahead and do my quarterly update.

Net worth as of December 14th: ($24,500) or so. Net worth by next paycheck: about ($13,000). +$3,800 a month. Not bad!

1. Actually abandoned this goal for 2015, because reasons. Will have such low debt in 2017 that I can definitely max out 2016

2. PAID, BITCHES. :hellyeah:

3. Balance is now up to $6,200. Obviously going in the wrong direction, but 0% APR until 2017. Will eliminate the balance late 2016.

4. Contributed $285 last paycheck, will do so for the next 9 paychecks. On track

5. Paid down about $4,500. Decided to pay down interest accruing debt instead of contributing to the IRA

So looking forward to be completely debt free in a year and a few months. Thanks, BFC!

Net worth as of July 7th is ($5,750.00), up $7,250. Nice! I'll be paying my car insurance for the upcoming year this month, so that will set me back a bit, but it's good progress.

1. On hold until next year.

2. Done.

3. CC balance up to $7,500. Aggressive repayments looming in a couple months.

4. Contributed $2,280 of $2,850. Two more pay periods and that's done.

5. Paid down just under $10,000 of this. Haven't bothered to determine how much of it was principal. $16,250 left.

Despite rising credit card balances, I'm making great progress. At some point, I will have to start paying that off instead of my loans, but at least I will have chipped away at the subsidized 6.8% loans.

Moneyball fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jul 9, 2016

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

June update inline, posted a bit late. Good month on the student loan and weight loss fronts.

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% - Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - Wedding 5/15, paid in all cash, goal successful!
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - Another $5k+ payment sent to the loans. Very on track for the main goal. ~13k left to go, planning on paying ~4k a month.

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - Went a bit over budget, which was hurt by me being slow to enter stuff. Still mostly on track though.
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track *knocks on wood*
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track.
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - On track, but my wife's car is coming to the end of its life. We're hoping to keep it going for another year or so, but no guarantees.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - On track.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - Great month for this, which unfortunately just reverses the last few bad months, but still, better than nothing. I'm now back to being down about 5 pounds. 15 more to goal, stretch to 25 is possible.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jul 11, 2016

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~

district 12 posted:

My goals are somewhat small because it's my last semester of school and I'm living at home so I am aiming to just make a big leap back into the world (I'm an adult student who is very lucky to have such a generous support system that I can live at home for free).

1) Save up a nest egg for moving wherever my post-grad life takes me, aiming for $6k but will likely have plenty more
deadline: I don't know yet. Aiming to be out of here by October, but could be moved up/pushed back as I see fit.

2) Whittle away all credit card debt (some consumer, lots of school-related expenses), currently stands at about $5k including the Apple financing for my recent laptop purchase
deadline: EOY probably, hopefuly much, much sooner.

3) Save up an extra $2.5k or so for fun/transport/etc. during month abroad
deadline: June 15 or thereabouts, as I leave on the 17th and need things all set by then

4) No clothes shopping except at the thrift store (this is an indefinite goal, probably until mid-June when I go abroad to be picked up again when I return stateside?)

I'll probably make more goals when/if I move and get a new job, including maxing out 401k and FSA or however the benefits roll out, and also making a real game plan to tackle my student loan debt. I'm genuinely hoping to keep up with these goals, as 2016 is a big year of endings for me, so my financial situation will be changing significantly. (I hope.)

1) Post-grad life has taken me to Seoul so my month-abroad nest egg has been rolled into my post-grad nest egg and I'm on track to have $8k saved by the time I leave at the end of August, neat

2) I'm working on this, I have everything on auto-pay so I just keep money in my bank account and it does its thing

3) See #1, I'll say this is complete I guess since plans have changed

4) lol this isn't complete but it's not a goal anymore

New goals:

1) Save as much as possible before departure

2) Develop a budget to determine bare minimum salary requirements, and then stick to it

3) Find a job ASAP when I arrive.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Original post.

1. Completely pay off all miscellaneous debt ($1800 at start of year). - On track.
2. Finally move my 401k from my previous employer over to my new one.
3. Pay 25% of my current student loan debt back into it. Stretch goal of 30%. - On track.
4. Cut the money owed to my parents in half. - Skipped my June deposit due to required spending elsewhere, need to set aside $500/mo for the rest of the year (see #7)
5. Save up $2000 by next fall for planned overseas trip Christmas 2016. - Money in the bank.
6. Start contributing to our joint savings account. - COMPLETE (Jan)
7. Hit at least $6750/mo in my current side job. - Thanks to the raise I received last month, I was over $1100 for June :shepface: And am already sniffing $1000 for July thanks to a couple of lucrative and well-timed assignments :shepspends: Gonna bump this up to $750 as I need to save $500 each month for the rest of the year to hit goal #3.

Things that would be nice to do:
8. Merge back accounts with my wife.
9. Save up for a new computer. - COMPLETE (Feb)
10. Set up actual budgets for both myself and my wife.
11. Take a trip somewhere. - NO CONTEST (Jan)
12. Get my wife a job.
13. NEW GOAL- Apply for one new job a week. - I've been at my current position a little over a year, and I don't like it at all. However, due to the possibility of extended overseas living in the near future I'm torn as to what to do about it. I can stick with a job I dislike to have a better-looking resume and an easier time moving overseas next year, or jump to a job that I might like more and choose between having a bunch of sub-1.5 year job entries on my resume and putting the overseas thing on ice, perhaps permanently. So I'm just going to do a little light job-hunting to keep my resume fresh, and on the off-chance I find something dope.

sweet_jones
Jan 1, 2007

Already half way through the year!

quote:

sweet_jones posted:

1. Increase Net Worth to 160k

Begin: 114.9 / Q1: 128.7 / Q2: 140.8

quote:

sweet_jones posted:

2. Save 10k towards new car

Begin: 0 / Q1: 1,800 / Q2: 1,900

I've been cycling more and laughing about how dusty/ugly my old car is. I'll keep saving for this though.

quote:

sweet_jones posted:

3. Raise emergency fund to 24k

Begin: 17.7 / Q1: 19.5 / Q2: 22.3

quote:

sweet_jones posted:

4. Pay cash for new suit and summer vacation. So, plan.

Love the new suit. I've also started a separate savings account that I'll use for vacations. I'm going to try and get 2400 in it by summer. We're going to Belize for two weeks. Stoked.

Update: just got back, Belize was the best vacation I've ever had. Amazing in many ways, but not having the cost of the trip set aside ahead of time bears relevance here.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

August was a good month. In addition to the below, I paid back a loan not accounted for when these goals were made for $2,000, and paid my brother $1,250 for his half of the Jetta which also occurred after the goals were established. Down to two debt accounts!

IllegallySober posted:

IllegallySober's 2016 Financial Goals (AKA Operation: Freedom)

Target: Eliminate a total of $28,768.12 in debt and reduce total debt to $0 by December 31, 2016.

1. Pay off Credit Card #1 (already closed), eliminating $3,266.28 of debt. (Interest Rate: 8.90%)

Target Completion Date: January 31, 2016 or sooner.
COMPLETED 1/14/16 :toot:

2. Pay off Car Loan, eliminating $4,304.46 of debt. (Interest Rate: 8.25%)

Target Completion Date: May 30, 2016 or sooner.
COMPLETED 8/9/16 :toot:

]3. Pay off Student Loans, eliminating $7,040.64 of debt. (Interest Rate: approximately 5.05% average between the two loans)

Target Completion Date: October 31, 2016 or sooner. IN PROGRESS- CURRENT BALANCE $6,853.91

4. Stretch Goal: Pay off Credit Card #2, eliminating $14,156.74 of debt. (Interest Rate: 8.90%)

Target Completion Date: December 31, 2016 or sooner. IN PROGRESS- CURRENT BALANCE $13,624.50

Other 2016 Goals

- Update YNAB on a every-other-day basis or more ON TARGET
- Run 12 5K events in 2016 BEHIND PACE- 2 OF 12 COMPLETED
- Learn to be a better cook and drastically reduce eating at restaurants BEHIND PACE- August was a little better but September needs to be a great month if I'm going to hit Goal 3
- Move in with girlfriend BROKE UP WITH THAT GIRLFRIEND- HAVE A NEW ONE BUT NO PLANS FOR CO-HABITATION YET :shrug:
- Do not have a child or any other expensive habits/experiences ON TARGET

September and October will be spent working a lot of football games so that the check I get for it in December will account for 50% or more of the student loan bill. Plus, the more I work, the less I spend. Goal 4 is looking like a 2017 goal at this juncture.

Referee fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Sep 7, 2016

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

July update inline. Some car trouble (which is becoming a theme..), but otherwise a good month. Paid off our last >5% student loan!!

Grumpwagon posted:

Major goals
1) Increase income 20% - Accepted a job starting 2/15 for a 33% increase (thanks negotiation thread!)
2) No wedding debt - Wedding 5/15, paid in all cash, goal successful!
3) Pay off $29k of student loans (all but the ~3% interest loans). Stretch: pay off all $41k for 0 debt. - We paid off our last >5% loan today! We have 1 at 5% (~$3000) which will be paid off next month, then it's all 4.25% or 3.15%. Very on track for main goal - $9200/$29000 remaining to be paid off. Stretch remains unlikely, but we'll make a dent in it before the end of the year.

"Keep good habits" goals
4) Keep constant on YNAB (started 1/1/2015) - Looking good. Wife's car had some repairs over and above our set aside YNAB balance for repairs, but apart from that, things are good.
5) "never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever..." - On track *knocks on wood*
6) Don't buy a house this year - On track.
7) Don't buy a car unless the new job requires it, and if it does, buy something sensible and inexpensive. - I still don't have a car, and the desire for one has gone down greatly. I'm not worried about completing this goal. The wife's car will need to be replaced fairly soon though.
8) Keep 401(k) contributions to at least 10% each. - On track.
9) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off. Stretch: 30 pounds (goal weight) - Another very solid month here. 10 more pounds to goal. Stretch is still very possible.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Aug 2, 2016

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
July Update:

#1 - Still good. (No house or babies)

#2 - I'm back in business with four new novels coming out this year and a relaunch of about 100 short stories. First novel is releasing in August, along with 10-20 of the stories, depending on planning. Woo! (Side business #1 revenue increase)

#3 - I've put this on hold for now, but will likely kill the service. It's too much time for too little monetary benefit compared to writing novels. (Growth of side business #2)

#4 - COMPLETE. (Relaxation goal. I'm so relaxed it hurts.)

#5 - We've finished transferring all our old accounts, etc etc. I hosed up and forgot to set my deductions/allowances/dependents before my signing bonus was issued, so my first paycheck had a remarkable 66.5% taxes withheld from it. It'll all come back at tax time next year, but whoopsie--so much for having it all in the bank right now. About $20K in the bank right now. [Savings Goal]

#6 - COMPLETE. (Job Goal)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Nothing changed really.

2016 Goals (Jul. update)

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will Still need it signed.
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough)
- Release two iPhone apps

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle Plan is prepped for next year

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Not a Children posted:

DESIRED ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- Increase gross income to $[redacted]k ($[redacted+10k] with reimbursements). On track with overtime
- Put $10,000 in 401k (edited down from $15,000 12/30, I'm looking for new, more expensive, but more tenable living arrangements) On track.
- Max ROTH IRA. Done.
- Take and pass the EIT exam for minor raise. Studying in full swing. Exam scheduled. Should pass easily.
- Move to a place closer to work while keeping my total housing expenses under $1.3k/mo. Done, and with a VERY healthy margin. Moving in a few weeks!
- Take a dang vacation without feeling guilty. The vacation was kinda lovely, but I did it!
- Stay the hell outta debt. Yes.

ONGOING GOALS:
- Limit alcohol spending to $30/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit video game spending to $25/month. Failed, miserably.
- Limit Fast Food to 1 Purchase per month. Failed, barely.
- Keep constant on YNAB -- 18 months and counting! Success, so I can easily see how I am failing miserably.

STRETCH GOALS:
- Max out 401k Probably not happening, but we'll see how my budget firms up after I move out
- Put another $10,000 towards general savings (house in 2017? We shall see) Already done.
- Reach $[redacted]k net worth On track.

It took me 5 months of searching, but I did find a 1br apartment that is not a closet with laundry and parking in a good part of the city for under a grand. I feel like I've used up all my luck for the rest of my 20's.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
We are having a kid this fall, so priorities shifted a bit. Luckily I have enough annual and sick leave that I can take 2 months of paid leave. However, that means I'm having to set aside a chunk of money to cover the projected negative cash flow from the lack of overtime for that time.

I feel pretty good about where we are right now. I just hope we can keep up the momentum on my wife's student loans.

Tyro posted:

2016 Goals. In order of importance.

1. Continue to max both of our 401Ks and IRAs Continue to max my 401K, and both of our IRAs. Contribute what we can to a solo 401K for her. On track
2. Pay off wife's student loans entirely (approx $50K) Making good progress, but not sure if we can knock it all out this year
3. Increase long term taxable savings (eventual house fund) by $12K - This is now a stretch goal, as any "spare" money will probably go into the above solo 401k Used this money as down payment for new car - see below
4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K Hold off on new car Due to the kid, we did buy a new car, staying well within original goal guidelines
5. Increase emergency fund by $5K to $35K Maintain e-fund at current levels good here
6. No motorcycle. Still good here

Tyro fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 14, 2016

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Goals:

1. Raise my net worth from $55k to $70k. $63.5k. Slow going, for now.

2. Pay off $5.4k of my car loan, which has $6.6k remaining. $3450/$5400. Doing well!

3. Do something vacation-y this summer without taking on debt. I haven't been on a vacation in 4 years and I need one desperately! DONE! Spent two lovely days in a cabin on San Juan Island.

4. Pay for my last semester of grad school in cash. $3k. DONE

5. No credit card debt. On track.

6. Stretch Goal: Start saving for a house. A nominal amount, say $1500, just to get my morale going while I finish paying off the car. $1400/$1500. Aw yeah.

This upcoming week I will finish my Masters degree, which will bump my pay by $3600/yr. And my new position that starts in September includes a 9% raise. With all that I will net roughly ~600 more per month. These goals will get set on fire the last few months of 2016!

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Hopefully I do a better job in 2016 of sticking to goals than I did in 2015, though I don't imagine another engagement and house purchase.

Omne's 2016 Financial Goals
1. NO. WEDDING. DEBT. We have our budget and have done a fairly good job of sticking to it. We are paying cash, and by ourselves without any other assistance. We are currently on track to cover our remaining payments by the wedding date (4/16/2016).
2. NO. NEW. DEBT. PERIOD. This means any other loans or credit card balances. I pay off my CC's every two weeks or so and will continue to do so
3. Pay off smallest student loan ($1987.32 current balance). This has a 5% interest rate but is paid quarterly. My other two loans are much bigger ($14500 @4.25% and $14000 @6.8%) but it'll be an emotional boost to knock this out.
4. Increase personal emergency fund to $10k (Current balance: $6900).
5. Stretch Goal: Pay down the 6.8% student loan to under $10k

August Update:

1. Complete!
2. On Track
3. On Track (down to $550)
4. On Track ($9100)
5. Down from $14000 to $12500, not sure I'll make it

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

I need to figure out what to do with my money now... that is probably my new goal for the next couple months. More investments, more trips, charity, who knows.

Excited for the next chapter in my life.

I move into a new place with my awesome girlfriend this weekend so that is all the goals, no yard to take care of woooooooooooo).

I opened 2 accounts with Ally. I put $20K into the first for an emergency fund (could last a year on if I had to). I put $1000 into the second for my mom's retirement and set up a direct deposit of $300 a month.

With my 401K max, 401K match, Roth IRA I am saving $27820 for retirement this year (plus my mom's retirement that she may or may not need). Next step will be to start a taxable investment account I guess.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Awwww yeah spwrozek! :toot: Hopefully the move in goes well and you can start saving even more! And congrats to all the rest of you getting so far ahead with your goals. It's great to see.

Update for August: DONE with everything!! Decided to scrap a couple of the goals (last two novels aren't going to happen) aaaaand I'm officially early retired! We'll see if retirement lasts once the baby gets here... I might need a excuse to get out of the house, ha. Doctor gave me a 50/50 chance of lasting another week before I go into labor, so I'm very excited! So excited that I did all my asset reallocation now because I know I won't be able to do much once I'm up all night listening to her adorable screaming :3:

moana posted:

Before EOY
- close out my business account and switch back to sole proprietorship
- switch health insurances
- add dental insurances

2016: The Year of Simplifying poo poo
- roll over old 401k into my Vanguard 401k
-- close out Chase accounts and move to Union Bank NOT GOING TO DO THIS AFTER ALL
- after taxes, move what's left into taxable investing account at Vanguard
- close out money market fund account
- get mortgage autopay set up
- do weekly reconciliations in Mint to classify business expenses
- keep profit/loss spreadsheet updated monthly
- close out business checking account
- write, publish novel 1
- write, publish novel 2
- write, publish novel 3

Stretch Goal
- hit $1M net worth

Non-Monetary Goal
- get knocked up

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
CONGRATULATIONS!!! Good luck, Moana. :)

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Very exciting Moana, hope it's all great and you love being a mom :3:

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.

moana posted:

Awwww yeah spwrozek! :toot: Hopefully the move in goes well and you can start saving even more! And congrats to all the rest of you getting so far ahead with your goals. It's great to see.

Update for August: DONE with everything!! Decided to scrap a couple of the goals (last two novels aren't going to happen) aaaaand I'm officially early retired! We'll see if retirement lasts once the baby gets here... I might need a excuse to get out of the house, ha. Doctor gave me a 50/50 chance of lasting another week before I go into labor, so I'm very excited! So excited that I did all my asset reallocation now because I know I won't be able to do much once I'm up all night listening to her adorable screaming :3:

Moana, I think you're my BFC hero. :3:

Congrats and good luck with the babby!

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.

froglet posted:

Moana, I think you're my BFC hero. :3:

Congrats and good luck with the babby!

2nd career as a financial blogger?

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Congrats on FIRE/second career as a parent!

Q3 Update:

-Max 401k. On pace!
-Max my and my wife's IRAs. On pace!
-Max my HSA. On pace!
-Pay off personal loan I took out to sell the underwater condo(we'd be 100% debt-free after this!). $20,000 out of 26,000 paid off. On pace!!
-Add 2,000 to emergency fund. Not started.

stretch goal:
-Add 10,000 to house down payment fund (this would be the start of said fund, at the very end of the year).Not started.

I don't think I'll quite hit the stretch goal, but I should be able to at least hit the original stretch goal of $5,000. Additionally, net worth just hit $100,000 so that's something! It was about -$45k at the start of 2013.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats Moana!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Nail Rat posted:

Congrats on FIRE/second career as a parent!

Q3 Update:

-Max 401k. On pace!
-Max my and my wife's IRAs. On pace!
-Max my HSA. On pace!
-Pay off personal loan I took out to sell the underwater condo(we'd be 100% debt-free after this!). $20,000 out of 26,000 paid off. On pace!!
-Add 2,000 to emergency fund. Not started.

stretch goal:
-Add 10,000 to house down payment fund (this would be the start of said fund, at the very end of the year).Not started.

I don't think I'll quite hit the stretch goal, but I should be able to at least hit the original stretch goal of $5,000. Additionally, net worth just hit $100,000 so that's something! It was about -$45k at the start of 2013.

This is all awesome. Great progress.

• Locked thread