Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Well after an interesting 2015 I am ready to get back into some really good financial goals.

Goals
1) Pay off ex's student loans (part of my divorce stuff). This is about $23,000.
2) Pay off my student loans. This is about $3,650.
3) Increase 401k contribution by 1% after raise in March, 11% of gross plus 4% match. (I might just do this even if I don't get a raise)
4) Purchase trip to Bald Face Lodge in 2017 for my 30th birthday, it will cost about $4,000 but completely worth it. Hopefully I can get some peeps to go with.
5) Sell or be bought out of my house and move closer to work, should net between $30-40K for my share baring a huge crash.

Stretch Goals - Based on the house sell or buy out
1) Max out 401k.
2) Pay off my car. Approximately $11,500.

Non-Financial Goal
1) Move in with my awesome girlfriend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Baja Mofufu posted:

All of these upcoming babies and planned babies! Congrats and good luck to everyone.

I feel like I should update my post to say never have a baby, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever... ever...

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

3) Increase 401k contribution by 1% after raise in March, 11% of gross plus 4% match. (I might just do this even if I don't get a raise)

Did this today! One goal down!

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Well after an interesting 2015 I am ready to get back into some really good financial goals.

Goals
1) Pay off ex's student loans (part of my divorce stuff). This is about $23,000.
4) Purchase trip to Bald Face Lodge in 2017 for my 30th birthday, it will cost about $4,000 but completely worth it. Hopefully I can get some peeps to go with.
5) Sell or be bought out of my house and move closer to work, should net between $30-40K for my share baring a huge crash.

1) Max out 401k.

Non-Financial Goal

1) Knocking it down, paid $8023 so far
2) Just the minimums right now
3) Done
4) Still want to do this but maybe a slight change of plans with a different trip for the year
5) Should be bought out, just waiting on it playing out. No rush though for me right now.

1) Will hit abut $12K, might push it up, we will see
2) Depends on the house

1) Still planning on it

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Goals

1) Max out 401k.

Non-Financial Goal

1) Done
2) Done
3) Done
4) Decided on a 2 week ski road trip via the mountain collective pass. Should be great.
5) Sold, Denver Market is crazy, $50K cash out

1) Plan to do this in July, now with no debt I need a month to figure out my new baseline budget
2) Done
3) Max out Roth IRA (New goal) Just need to log in a be done with it.

1) On track

I need to figure out what to do with my money now... that is probably my new goal for the next couple months. More investments, more trips, charity, who knows.

Excited for the next chapter in my life.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

1) Done
2) Done
3) Done
4) Decided on a 2 week ski road trip via the mountain collective pass. Should be great.
5) Sold, Denver Market is crazy, $50K cash out

1) Plan to do this in July, now with no debt I need a month to figure out my new baseline budget
2) Done
3) Max out Roth IRA (New goal) Just need to log in a be done with it.

1) On track

I need to figure out what to do with my money now... that is probably my new goal for the next couple months. More investments, more trips, charity, who knows.

Put $5500 in my Roth. Maxed my 401K.

So I basically have no goals now for the second half of the year. I guess I will look at how things are going and try to see what other goals I can add to the list in July. I feel really accomplished right now.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

moana posted:

Woot! Now your goal should just be to lay back in a hammock sipping cocktails for a week straight. Seriously, though, take some time and enjoy the hell out of your accomplishments for a bit :)

I hear you for sure. I have been driving hard at my goals for the last 5 years (maybe longer) so I almost feel a void. Most people I just can't share these great things with though unfortunately.

I think I unfortunately face a reality that I need to start saving for my mom once alimony runs out from my dad. My one sister might be able to help, doubtful on my bro and other sister. I don't have much confidence in my mom working a lot or saving at all. I think she has about 80K for retirement.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

pig slut lisa posted:

That's a bummer :[ Will she be getting anything from Social Security at least?

I need to figure that out. She worked for herself for 20+ years. My dad always did some shady tax stuff though to save the family money so I am honestly not sure. I don't see how she couldn't have paid in though. I am sure it will all work out somehow...

Thanks for the good vibes.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

I move into a new place with my awesome girlfriend this weekend so that is all the goals, no yard to take care of woooooooooooo).

I opened 2 accounts with Ally. I put $20K into the first for an emergency fund (could last a year on if I had to). I put $1000 into the second for my mom's retirement and set up a direct deposit of $300 a month.

With my 401K max, 401K match, Roth IRA I am saving $27820 for retirement this year (plus my mom's retirement that she may or may not need). Next step will be to start a taxable investment account I guess.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Nail Rat posted:

Changes in goals due to surprise divorce after only 14 months. GWM (that it didn't come later), BWL (that I now have to work through all this emotional baggage)? I dunno.

-$15k to 401k.
-$4000 to IRA.
-Max HSA.
-Pay off personal loan.
-Finish year with over $10,000 in savings.

Next year will be better, I hope. Just trying to keep some cash aside for paying her off so she doesn't go after my 401k or HSA.

Sucks man but it will be alright. Been there and now live with my sweet girlfriend.

Do your best to get out of it with your money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

spwrozek posted:

Goals

1) Max out 401k.

Non-Financial Goal

I did all these things (#4 changed to a sweet rear end road trip coming in Feb), maxed my 401K, maxed my Roth IRA, started putting money away for my mom's retirement, and I walk to work now.

Looking forward to next year.

• Locked thread