Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
Starting this past June I've been keeping a spreadsheet of all of mine/husband's income, expenses, and savings/investment contributions. It's not a full year of data, but it was a good enough spread that I have an idea of monthly averages. So, my 2016 goals are to:

1. Make a new tab on the spreadsheet for 2016, and continue tracking. Every expense, every month, don't fall off the wagon. This is just part of life now. Don't make it a passing phase, self!!
2. As the months go on, try to keep the averages for each expense category either equal to 2015's averages, or hopefully lower in several frivolous categories (restaurants, shopping, gifts).
3. Max out his & hers IRAs. I have a sneaking suspicion that while mine is a traditional and his is a ROTH, they should probably be flipped. Need to research a) if this is still possible, b) how to?
4. Bump up the non-IRA brokerage account's monthly contribution from $867 to $1000.

Stretch goal:
5. Save up for new SUV. Having an '05 SUV and a '14 sedan in the same household makes you get real jealous of the bells and whistles they've introduced to vehicles over the years. Push button start, keyless entry, and blindspot/reverse warning beeps, oh my :allears:

Good luck, all!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me

drat Bananas posted:

Starting this past June I've been keeping a spreadsheet of all of mine/husband's income, expenses, and savings/investment contributions. It's not a full year of data, but it was a good enough spread that I have an idea of monthly averages. So, my 2016 goals are to:

1. Make a new tab on the spreadsheet for 2016, and continue tracking. Every expense, every month, don't fall off the wagon. This is just part of life now. Don't make it a passing phase, self!!
2. As the months go on, try to keep the averages for each expense category either equal to 2015's averages, or hopefully lower in several frivolous categories (restaurants, shopping, gifts).
3. Max out his & hers IRAs. I have a sneaking suspicion that while mine is a traditional and his is a ROTH, they should probably be flipped. Need to research a) if this is still possible, b) how to?
4. Bump up the non-IRA brokerage account's monthly contribution from $867 to $1000.

Stretch goal:
5. Save up for new SUV. Having an '05 SUV and a '14 sedan in the same household makes you get real jealous of the bells and whistles they've introduced to vehicles over the years. Push button start, keyless entry, and blindspot/reverse warning beeps, oh my :allears:

Good luck, all!

1. Done! Such an oddly satisfying habit.
2. Mostly done. I had to go above budget on a few things which threw those categories out the window. Cat was diagnosed with kidney disease requiring monthly sub-q fluids administered at the vet, an expensive prescription food, and her increased water intake makes for increase litter output. Also, I decided to redo the siding and windows on the house so my home expenses were ridiculously above budget, but they increase the value of my home and better insulate for future energy bills.
3. Done, and decided against ROTH-ing and un-ROTH-ing them.
4. ..................honestly I forgot that this was a goal. I will update Vanguard right now.
5. Decided against this goal. Current boring SUV is still functional. Managed to save a big chunk of cash that I could change my mind with if I wanted to, though.

According to my spreadsheet we spent our income this way:
53% spent
23% invested
23% new 1% savings account (emergency fund)

I'm really proud of this. We have some extremely fortunate circumstances that allowed for the cards to fall this way, but I think we did a really great job of balancing responsibility with living-life fun-stuff.

• Locked thread