Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Late to the game, I'm back with my equally uninteresting 2016 goals:

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings (awaiting the state to approve a 7-month-past-due-budget before we're allowed any merit raises / cost of living adjustments)
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000)
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay)
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received.
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Update through two months

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Still waiting to see what my paychecks will be like with the raise / cost of living. Next pay will have "retroactive" pay, the following pay will be the new "normal".
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Almost halfway there. We're in no rush to do this right now.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Similar to #1
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $350 paid so far.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Update two days later. My goals are pretty lame to be honest, but I think that's a good indication of doing a fairly good job with what we have to work with.

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings - Increased additional ~$140/mo (eh, it's something)
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Almost halfway there. We're in no rush to do this right now.
3. Contribute more to our HSA - Increased to $75/pay (eh, it's something)
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received - Paid
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $350 paid so far.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Update through two months

1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Still waiting to see what my paychecks will be like with the raise / cost of living. Next pay will have "retroactive" pay, the following pay will be the new "normal".
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Similar to #1

Half year update
1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Incremental indeed, but it's something. About 8% of our take home total goes into post-tax Roth/529s.
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Slowly plugging away, got some scope creep so I have no idea when we'll actually get to it and/or how much more we're going to need to save.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Increased to $75/pay.
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $500 paid so far. I think I'll be able to hit this as we should be pretty close to hitting some other savings goals early and we'll have another 3 check month sometime this year.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

Half year update
1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings Incremental indeed, but it's something. About 8% of our take home total goes into post-tax Roth/529s.
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Slowly plugging away, got some scope creep so I have no idea when we'll actually get to it and/or how much more we're going to need to save.
3. Contribute more to our HSA (currently $50/pay) - Increased to $75/pay.
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $500 paid so far. I think I'll be able to hit this as we should be pretty close to hitting some other savings goals early and we'll have another 3 check month sometime this year.

3rd quarter update
1. Incrementally increase Roth / 529 savings
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Have ~$2100 saved, but aforementioned scope creep is making us reconsider.
3. Contribute more to our HSA
4. Settle our "surprise" $2400 medical bill from 2014 that we just received
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - Up to $700, probably won't be much/any more this year due to priority changes.

Priority changes:
1. Saving for a new vehicle for me for next year at this time. Looking for a gently used fullsize truck in the $25k range, hoping to have to only finance about half of it. So far saved $3300.
2. Our well may need re-drilled at some point ~$4000 (have this in emergency fund when the time comes)
3. Neighbor mentioned maybe being interested in selling the small parcel of woods next to our house (probably ~.5 acre). Would love to buy it, but who knows how serious he was and if we're talking the same ballpark financially (hoping for the "several thousand" range).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

dreesemonkey posted:

3rd quarter update
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - Have ~$2100 saved, but aforementioned scope creep is making us reconsider.
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - Up to $700, probably won't be much/any more this year due to priority changes.

Priority changes:
1. Saving for a new vehicle for me for next year at this time. Looking for a gently used fullsize truck in the $25k range, hoping to have to only finance about half of it. So far saved $3300.
2. Our well may need re-drilled at some point ~$4000 (have this in emergency fund when the time comes)
3. Neighbor mentioned maybe being interested in selling the small parcel of woods next to our house (probably ~.5 acre). Would love to buy it, but who knows how serious he was and if we're talking the same ballpark financially (hoping for the "several thousand" range).

As expected, my goals this year were extremely boring and not really all that challenging. I feel as a whole we did fine, we're saving moderately for retirement and kid's college, $1000+ in daycare monthly, and we're not in debt other than our house. I think that 2017 will be the start of more financial traction so a boring 2016 is pretty much a big win in my books.

Completed:

Not complete:
2. Save for a bathroom remodel (approximately $4000) - This was never really meant to be completed this year, but we ended up spending most of what we saved when our basement flooded and we bought a new washer/dryer earlier than planned. The project scope has also expanded to "well we'll need to buy 800 sqft of hardwood flooring for the house as well", so this is likely pushed off quite a bit.
5. Stretch goal: Make additional $1200 principal-only payments on our mortgage - $800, so 3/4 of the way there. Not too awful.

• Locked thread