Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

Let's give this a shot.

2016 Goals

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid
- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there)
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough)
- Take a vacation
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to
- Release two iPhone apps

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Up my 401k contribution to 10% from 6%
- Make 3 extra mortgage payments
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%)
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%)
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet)

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Jan 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Good-Natured Filth posted:

2016 Goals

- Adjust my W4 now that I have a kid Done.
- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget Started setting up Mint and will explore that further.
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me)
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there)
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere)
- Put 50/month into my daughter's 529 Setup auto-pay. Done.
- Put 2k into our HSA Setup auto-pay. Done.
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Put aside money for this. Just need to go shopping.
- Take a vacation Looking into renting a cabin in Gatlinburg (or somewhere nearby in the mountains) for an extra long weekend. Have $5k socked away for this, so I think we'll be okay.
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to Done, but not in a way I'd like. We talked about it, and my wife decided she'd keep her job for the time being, and we'll sock away the extra income.
- Release two iPhone apps One app is currently in beta testing in the app store.

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Up my 401k contribution to 10% from 6% Upped to 7%. I may re-evaluate this goal because my company's expense ratios aren't great. I get full match up to 6%.
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%) The loan is closer to $2k, and I'm itching to pay it off. We'll see what my tax refund is.
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet)

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Feb update)

- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget Been using Mint. Enjoying it so far
- Open a Roth IRA for myself (have one for the wife, but only using my 401k at work for me) Done. And maxed out 2015 contribution before I filed my tax return
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) Likely going to max out our 2016 IRA contributions with the excess
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment This might be more do-able after my refi goes through. Will lower my monthly payment by about $150
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Purchased a sectional $600 under budget, so we have more wiggle room for an entertainment center
- Take a vacation
- Create a financial plan to allow my wife to quit her miserable, dead-end, low-wage job. Allowing her to focus on her creative passions and to give her the freedom to finally open that Etsy shop she's been wanting to
- Release two iPhone apps I swear I'll release my first app next month. I'm just nervous about features that I know people will want, but I don't have time to implement

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs Maxed out 2015 contributions prior to filing my tax return
- Up my 401k contribution to 10% from 6% On re-evaluation, I'd rather focus on maxing our IRA's and HSA before upping my 401k contribution

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Mar. update)

- Create a will
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget Considering switching from Mint to YNAB, but I'll stay with Mint for now
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) With maxing IRA's and paying off my student loan, it's down to 15k, but that's still much more than necessary
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment Refi is through. If I continue paying monthly what I do now (which I will), I'll have one extra payment made by EOY. Considered Done
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Sectional delivered and is wonderful. Now for an entertainment center
- Take a vacation
- Release two iPhone apps App 1 is launched

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs 2016 maxed
- Pay off my student loans (~5000 @ 3%) Done
- Position myself at work for a promotion to manager (only a stretch because this would likely require more working hours, and I don't know if I want to do that yet) Accepted an offer at a startup. Based on conversations, I'll be in a leadership role pretty soon after starting

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Apr. update)

- Create a will I'm doing this in the next few days
- Migrate to a budgeting tool (YNAB or Every Dollar) and away from my half-assed Excel sheet that tracks spending but doesn't budget
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough)
- Take a vacation

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs

Not much progress in April, unfortunately.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (May. update)

- Create a will Written. Need it signed by two non-family witnesses to make it official. Wills are weird.
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (20k just sitting there) This money slowly keeps growing. I need to increase my HSA or 401k contribution. Probably HSA, because my 401k fund options have stupid high expense ratios.
- Re-evaluate emergency fund (30k might be a bit much and a small part of that could be used better elsewhere) Re-evaluated. My wife and I like that nice egg for emergencies. Not for everyone, but works for us.
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Make one extra mortgage payment I know I called this done last month, but after reading some books, I realize that a 3.625% mortgage shouldn't be a financial priority since it's low interest. Reducing my mortgage payment to the minimum and gonna see how my budget changes with that.
- Take a vacation

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Jun. update)

- Create a will Still need it signed.
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Fix up our living room and get actual furniture (a decade on junky "college kid" furniture is enough) Bought a TV stand, so it's not sitting on the floor anymore. The living room looks very nice now!
- Take a vacation Booking a cabin rental today or tomorrow. Spending an extra-long weekend in the Smokies.

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle I'm going to move some of the extra money in our checking account towards a hefty down-payment on a new vehicle. Leaning towards a Pilot or something similar. Will most likely sell her car on eBay - had a decent experience doing that with my car several years ago.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nothing changed really.

2016 Goals (Jul. update)

- Create a will Still need it signed.
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles
- Put 2k into our HSA

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Prep to sell my wife's car in 2017 and plan to purchase a mini-van or other appropriate "family" vehicle Plan is prepped for next year

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nothing changed really. Again.

2016 Goals (Aug. update)

- Create a will Still need it signed...
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Take a vacation Heading to a cabin in the Smokies next week!

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

A few minor updates.

2016 Goals (Sept. update)

- Create a will
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Take a vacation The cabin in the woods was very relaxing. I think we prefer the beach, though.

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%) Made a couple chunk payments. It's down to ~4000.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Nothing big.

2016 Goals (Oct. update)

- Create a will
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Take a vacation

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%) I'll be paying this off next week.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Nov. update)

- Create a will
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles (Probably won't happen until January. And a good chunk of it will just max our IRA's for the year.)
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Take a vacation
- Release two iPhone apps (Not gonna happen. One was all I had the motivation for this year.)

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs
- Pay off my car (~12000 @ 2%) I now own my car.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2016 Goals (Dec. update)

- Create a will
- Move most of the funds in our checking account to appropriate interest-accruing vehicles Didn't complete
- Put 2k into our HSA
- Take a vacation
- Release two iPhone apps Didn't complete

Stretches

- Max out both IRAs

Missed on two, but got my stretches. Not too shabby.

• Locked thread