Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

2016! YES! A Year for optimism.

Forced optimism, mind you. There's plenty of emo bullshit that nobody wants to hear, so let's get to the checkpoints (not necessarily in any particular order):

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

WAIT WHAT? Yeah, my wife got a new car. She was tired of leasing (which I had said for a decade was a bad idea) but she kind of went at it in a wonky way and welp, brand new Rav4.
$20k :barf: I'm looking to get rid of the whole shebang as quick as possible, but the rate is 2.69% so I'm not trying to liquidate the taxable fund.

4-Continue funding 529

5-Pay down the mortgage by an extra $15,000

Stretch of a stretch (because the endgoals for #3 and #5 are stretches themselves) - somehow manage to do all of this AND minimize the tax refund to under $1000

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

moana posted:

welp, look who's getting started early with her new year goals :toot: :suicide:

:woop: :derp: It truly is the best and worst thing at the same time!

Edit: And that's without me noticing the responses well ahead of me!

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

Forced optimism, mind you. There's plenty of emo bullshit that nobody wants to hear, so let's get to the checkpoints (not necessarily in any particular order):

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

WAIT WHAT? Yeah, my wife got a new car. She was tired of leasing (which I had said for a decade was a bad idea) but she kind of went at it in a wonky way and welp, brand new Rav4.
$20k :barf: I'm looking to get rid of the whole shebang as quick as possible, but the rate is 2.69% so I'm not trying to liquidate the taxable fund.

4-Continue funding 529

Stretch of a stretch (because the endgoals for #3 and #5 are stretches themselves) - somehow manage to do all of this AND minimize the tax refund to under $1000

Updates:

1-on schedule

2-on schedule

3-I'm basically letting wifey dear handle this one; she is putting "a little extra each payment." When it comes to finances she lets me handle so much, she wanted be in charge of it as a sign of good faith. That extra was $100 in January and $112 in February.

4-Steady as she goes.

5-Ugh...So far I have ~2100 earmarked as house payment bonus accumulated, but some home-related repairs mean I may not come close to this by the end of the year.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

4-Continue funding 529

1, 2, and 4 on schedule

3 - She has shaved off an extra 2.6k so far, yay!

5 - :unsmith: So, I helped out my sister with this money because she was in a pinch after the Verizon strike. I'm still accumulating, but nowhere near making the goal.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

1- Max out 401k and 457

2-Max out both IRAs

3-Pay down car loan...

4-Continue funding 529

Then in June:

balancedbias posted:

1, 2, and 4 on schedule

3 - She has shaved off an extra 2.6k so far, yay!

5 - :unsmith: So, I helped out my sister with this money because she was in a pinch after the Verizon strike. I'm still accumulating, but nowhere near making the goal.

And now...

1 = DONE

2 = DONE

3 = She paid an extra 400 for a total of 3k early this year. Her mom being horrible with money but in a boring way so no BWM post having unexpected issues diverted some of this.

4 = still on schedule

5 = as I said before, diverted temporarily, but back at it. For the year, maybe 6-7k.

The stretch of a stretch is not happening; at least it's for the relative positive (meaning the refund will be a bit big).

I'm already looking forward to next year:

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

3 - MAX THE HSA! I have access to an HSA! Finally! (Nobody at work really knows why this made me so excited during open enrollment)

4 - Continue funding 529 at 250/month

5 - STRETCH - pay off that car loan. I'm taking this one back on myself; based on family dynamics, getting rid of this by the end of next year will recreate the type of cash flow that will allow a bit more breathing room and use as an unofficial family emergency fund. I don't think Trump got my letter to get an exemption from economic policy and outsource my parents/siblings/in-laws.

• Locked thread