Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
I didn't post in the 2015 goals thread but we did exceed our goals for 2015 which were to pay cash for the wedding and honeymoon, fully fund our retirement accounts, pay $20K extra towards student loan principal, and increase long term savings by $12K.

2016 Goals. In order of importance.

1. Continue to max both of our 401Ks and IRAs
2. Pay off wife's student loans entirely (approx $50K)
3. Increase long term savings (eventual house fund) by $12K
4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K
5. Increase emergency fund by $5K to $35K
6. *IF* I buy a motorcycle this year, pay cash.

Stretch Goals:
1. Increase long term savings by $25K
OR
2. Pay cash for the new car

Tyro fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Dec 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Well my wife who is the primary earner lost her job and is probably switching gears to work for a startup for like $20K a year + equity. So our household income has gone down by over 100K and our goals have radically changed.

Tyro posted:

1. Continue to max both of our 401Ks and IRAs Continue to max my 401K, and both of our IRAs. Contribute what we can to a solo 401K for her.
3. Increase long term taxable savings (eventual house fund) by $12K - This is now a stretch goal, as any "spare" money will probably go into the above solo 401k
4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K Hold off on new car
5. Increase emergency fund by $5K to $35K Maintain e-fund at current levels
6. *IF* I buy a motorcycle this year, pay cash. No motorcycle.

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

That seems like a pretty raw deal, especially if she's not getting founder-level equity.

She is. :)

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
We are having a kid this fall, so priorities shifted a bit. Luckily I have enough annual and sick leave that I can take 2 months of paid leave. However, that means I'm having to set aside a chunk of money to cover the projected negative cash flow from the lack of overtime for that time.

I feel pretty good about where we are right now. I just hope we can keep up the momentum on my wife's student loans.

Tyro posted:

1. Continue to max both of our 401Ks and IRAs Continue to max my 401K, and both of our IRAs. Contribute what we can to a solo 401K for her. On track
2. Pay off wife's student loans entirely (approx $50K) Making good progress, but not sure if we can knock it all out this year
3. Increase long term taxable savings (eventual house fund) by $12K - This is now a stretch goal, as any "spare" money will probably go into the above solo 401k Used this money as down payment for new car - see below
4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K Hold off on new car Due to the kid, we did buy a new car, staying well within original goal guidelines
5. Increase emergency fund by $5K to $35K Maintain e-fund at current levels good here
6. No motorcycle. Still good here

Tyro fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Aug 14, 2016

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Congrats Moana!

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Nail Rat posted:

Next year will be better, I hope.

I hope so too, dude. That is awful. Best of luck working your way through everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009
Huge year for us, wife lost her job, then became a cofounder of a startup and we had a kid. So we didn't reach all our goals but I feel really good about where we ended up with all the changes.

Tyro posted:

1. Continue to max my TSP, and both of our IRAs. Contribute what we can to a solo 401K for her.
SUCCESS. Maxed all including hitting wife's Solo 401k employee contribution limit

FAILED due to household income dropping dramatically at the very beginning of the year. Paid down to ~$29k.

3. Increase long term taxable savings (eventual house fund) by $12K - This is now a stretch goal, as any "spare" money will probably go into the above solo 401k
I consider this a mixed success. We saved up the money (on top of filling the solo 401k) and then used it as a down payment for the new car.

4. When buying new car this year, borrow no more than $20K and overall spend no more than $30K
SUCCESS. Due to the kid, we did buy a new car, staying well within original goal guidelines

5. Maintain e-fund at current levels
SUCCESS.

6. No motorcycle.
SUCCESS. I scratched my motorcycle itch by working on and riding a friend's bikes.

• Locked thread