Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
Last year my goal was to have a years gross salary in non-retirement investments.. I made it. Barely. So let's get ambitious again!

2016 Goals:
- increase non-retirement investments from 60k to 80k
- stretch goal: increase non-retirement savings to 1.5x my gross salary.
- continue salary sacrificing $150 a month into superannuation
- stretch goal: increase net worth to $130k (including super)
- do one online course relevant to my industry
- read three finance books relevant to Australia (already working on this)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

froglet posted:

Last year my goal was to have a years gross salary in non-retirement investments.. I made it. Barely. So let's get ambitious again!

2016 Goals:

2016 Goals:

I have no idea if I can achieve this one any more because the markets are tanking, I booked a holiday to San Francisco and my partner got me to go engagement ring shopping this weekend. It's almost like he wants a commitment from me... Or something. :confuoot: Anyway, will see how this goes. I've been able to save up a fair bit this month, though I think all my saving this year is going to be eaten up by an engagement / wedding because he didn't want to go to the registry office. :negative:
Yup, still doing this.
Unlikely at this stage.
Got part of the way through a software testing one. I should really finish that off.
Read one so far. It was ok, was kinda more for baby boomers who've bought too much house, though.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

froglet posted:

2016 Goals:

Last month I was worried I couldn't make it, this month...

Was running the numbers last week and found I'm already halfway there. Not celebrating too early, though, because for all I know the stock market could tank in the next 9 months.

Tried to quit my job, the boss gave me a 10k pay rise, which is nice. However, this goal is now technically possible, extremely unlikely (given my new salary). If I'm going by the number I was on at the beginning of the year, though, it's very possible!

Still chugging along. Going to bump this up to $250 a month as a hedge against lifestyle inflation.

About 20k shy of that goal.

Did an hour-long online course, so I'm done with that, but part of my agreement with work was getting some time off to do another course. Aiming to get it done before EoFY in July.

- read three finance books relevant to Australia
Done! I get the impression the people writing these books want to be entombed in a pyramid made of gold or something.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

pig slut lisa posted:

Book report! Book report! (or just titles)

$1 Million for Life: How to Make It, Manage It, Maximise It by Ashley Ormond.
How to Give Your Kids $1 Million Each! (And It Won't Cost You a Cent), Updated Edition by Ashley Ormond

^ both of these were more intended for an older generation than myself, I think. The first book heavily promoted superannuation as a means of avoiding tax and investing for the future, but unless you're already on a high income this hamstrings you if you need the money outside of super (for a house/marriage/travel/kids/etc) Definitely worth a read as both contain Australia-specific information, but some of it was really optimistic and built around the idea of home ownership.

Lastly:
The One Page Financial Plan - Everything You Need to Successfully Manage Your Money and Invest for Wealth Creation by Sam Henderson

Again, I found some of it not particularly applicable to my situation, because it's about legal tax minimisation and sort of assumes you're not 40+ years away from retirement, but still had lots of good Australia-specific information.

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

moana posted:

Awwww yeah spwrozek! :toot: Hopefully the move in goes well and you can start saving even more! And congrats to all the rest of you getting so far ahead with your goals. It's great to see.

Update for August: DONE with everything!! Decided to scrap a couple of the goals (last two novels aren't going to happen) aaaaand I'm officially early retired! We'll see if retirement lasts once the baby gets here... I might need a excuse to get out of the house, ha. Doctor gave me a 50/50 chance of lasting another week before I go into labor, so I'm very excited! So excited that I did all my asset reallocation now because I know I won't be able to do much once I'm up all night listening to her adorable screaming :3:

Moana, I think you're my BFC hero. :3:

Congrats and good luck with the babby!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

froglet posted:

Last month I was worried I couldn't make it, this month...

Was running the numbers last week and found I'm already halfway there. Not celebrating too early, though, because for all I know the stock market could tank in the next 9 months.

Tried to quit my job, the boss gave me a 10k pay rise, which is nice. However, this goal is now technically possible, extremely unlikely (given my new salary). If I'm going by the number I was on at the beginning of the year, though, it's very possible!

Still chugging along. Going to bump this up to $250 a month as a hedge against lifestyle inflation.

About 20k shy of that goal.

Did an hour-long online course, so I'm done with that, but part of my agreement with work was getting some time off to do another course. Aiming to get it done before EoFY in July.

Done! I get the impression the people writing these books want to be entombed in a pyramid made of gold or something.

I'm calling this Done, since my between all my non-retirement savings and investment accounts I have $80.7k (though I've got one more pay to go this year). I decided to increase my cash position because I'm getting married next year and thought it'd be handy if we decide to have a honeymoon. Note that I went through a job change right before going on a 3.5 week holiday to the US, otherwise this final number would have been higher, heh.

Nah, didn't happen, lol, especially since I got a 10k pay increase.

Meh, didn't set this up with my new job. So on the one hand, DONE because I did continue the salary sacrifice right up until I changed jobs, but on the other hand, I didn't stick it out a full year.

I'm actually only 3k away from this. I should be here by January.

Done! On top the course I did online, I also got sent on a trip to do another work-related class!

Done!

• Locked thread