Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Was gonna do this earlier, but I just got a job offer with a higher salary so I can tweak my goals a little bit.

1. 50% of salary goes into retirement accounts (401k/Roth/taxable) - With the new salary I think this is much more doable.
2. Increase net worth to ~65k, or rather put about $25k into retirement if the market remains flat or whatever. Market gains aren't really a goal.
3. Don't get married - or if I do, don't have an expensive wedding
4. Don't have kids
5. No new debt - no house, no new car, etc
6. Start a budget with YNAB. I'm doing well with money I think, but I feel like some cuts can be made.

Fortunately, I don't have any debt (other than whats on my upcoming credit card bill which I pay off in full every month), so I can focus on cutting expenses and investing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baxate
Feb 1, 2011

Ludwig van Halen posted:

Was gonna do this earlier, but I just got a job offer with a higher salary so I can tweak my goals a little bit.

1. 50% of salary goes into retirement accounts (401k/Roth/taxable) - With the new salary I think this is much more doable.
2. Increase net worth to ~65k, or rather put about $25k into retirement if the market remains flat or whatever. Market gains aren't really a goal.
3. Don't get married - or if I do, don't have an expensive wedding
4. Don't have kids
5. No new debt - no house, no new car, etc
6. Start a budget with YNAB. I'm doing well with money I think, but I feel like some cuts can be made.

Fortunately, I don't have any debt (other than whats on my upcoming credit card bill which I pay off in full every month), so I can focus on cutting expenses and investing.

Eh, I bought a car. Not because I needed one, and now I've got $18k to pay off over the next couple of years. It's technically the first time I've ever bought a car though, I've always had a hand-me-down from my parents.
My interest rate is low enough that I don't need to rush to pay it off because my investment accounts will very likely pay more, so I'm stretching it out over 5 years.

Other than that, my Roth is maxed out, and my 401k is going well (not contributing enough to max it though). Keeping it on the straight and narrow with #3 and #4.

The YNAB budget is going great, discretionary spending is way down (aside from the car)

e: Now that I think about it, I ought to up my 401k contribution since my IRA is maxed out, so I've got some excess in my budget that would otherwise go into a taxable account.

Baxate fucked around with this message at 14:14 on May 30, 2016

• Locked thread