Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Since my 2015 goals went pretty much straight down the toilet let's try this again and see if I can hit them this time.

In order of priority:
1. By the end of January, pay off last ~$1450 CC balance - DONE
2. Maintain 0 balance on credit cards this time, goddammit - 1/31 edit: cards set up to pay full balance every month so I can't forget and carry it over
3. Add $4000 to efund
4. Max 2016 IRA
5. Start and fund HSA

My house is my only debt other than that last bit of CC still lingering. I was in really good shape 2 years ago, then my income got unstable and that's been very bad for my ability to save and not lean on the credit cards so I'm going to focus on breaking bad habits this year and light a fire under my boss to pay me on time. I can't do another year of this bullshit so if it doesn't get better I really will have to start looking for a different job and I like my job a lot so I hope it doesn't come to that.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Feb 1, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Update:
1. By the end of January, pay off last ~$1450 CC balance
1/31: DONE

2. Maintain 0 balance on credit cards this time, goddammit
1/31: cards set up to pay full balance every month so I can't forget and carry it over
4/28: still doing it yay

3. Add $4000 to efund
4/28: working on it, I have added a little over $1000

4. Max 2016 IRA
4/28: automatic monthly contributions have been happening since the beginning of the year so this is on track :toot:
Also I realized the other day that my IRA is now bigger than the remainder I owe on my house so that felt pretty good.

5. Start and fund HSA
4/28: no progress yet, kinda want to focus on the other stuff for now since my overall goal is breaking bad habits so I want to get stable and stay that way for a while, probably will put this off til closer to next tax time. I'm starting to worry about my car; it's 12 years old and I don't want to replace it yet but need to be prepared if it starts having problems, so getting my efund nice and beefy to cover potential car issues is the higher priority at the moment.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
2016 was not good :(

1. By the end of January, pay off last ~$1450 CC balance
1/31: DONE

2. Maintain 0 balance on credit cards this time, goddammit
1/31: cards set up to pay full balance every month so I can't forget and carry it over
4/28: still doing it yay
12/17: FAIL

3. Add $4000 to efund
4/28: working on it, I have added a little over $1000
12/17: income got shaky, used it on bills and ect., it's been up and down but overall FAIL

4. Max 2016 IRA
4/28: automatic monthly contributions have been happening since the beginning of the year so this is on track
Also I realized the other day that my IRA is now bigger than the remainder I owe on my house so that felt pretty good.
12/31: FAIL (sort of) because I wanted to do this by the end of the year and will have to finish it up in the first part of next year

5. Start and fund HSA
4/28: no progress yet, kinda want to focus on the other stuff for now since my overall goal is breaking bad habits so I want to get stable and stay that way for a while, probably will put this off til closer to next tax time. I'm starting to worry about my car; it's 12 years old and I don't want to replace it yet but need to be prepared if it starts having problems, so getting my efund nice and beefy to cover potential car issues is the higher priority at the moment.
12/31: FAIL since I'm continuing to put this off

After the update at the end of April some poo poo happened. My pay got squirrely, my health went down the toilet (had the flu twice in like 3 months among other things), I got really stressed and prior to all that I'd been semi-managing untreated depression on my own but everything wore me down to the point that I wasn't managing anymore and the wheels started to come off. I came very close to quitting my job and during all that kinda said gently caress it to holding onto goals n poo poo and just went with the path of least resistance (floating bills on the CCs until money came in). So slap a big FAIL on my goals, but I got into therapy and on medication so that's positive at least :toot:

Got a new wrinkle for 2017 -- the main funding source that maintains my job and basically the whole agency goes away in 2 years. I owe $28k and some change on my house, and it would be cool as hell to have it paid off before I have to start looking for a new job. I'm still thinking about if I want to publish my 2017 goals but in general it's still the same thing -- get stable, stay stable, retirement contributions, e-fund, and sock whatever I can manage toward the house. At least finally having the sadbrains under control will be extremely helpful toward actually staying on target and managing whatever bullshit 2017 throws at me.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Dec 18, 2016

• Locked thread