Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs

2) Max 401k contribution

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k)

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings)

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k

2) Generate side income

I was always fantastic at saving money in a low-yield checking account, but that's about it. So my BFC lurker journey these past few years has been me learning to let go and not be afraid to use my money in meaningful ways, like putting it into retirement, paying down my mortgage, opening a taxable investment account, etc. I've been putting off these home repairs forever and I know they will make me super happy when finished, I just get paralyzed when it comes to spending. I need to get over it! No more tile and grout countertops!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - On track

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Currently at 142k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Been thinking about landscaping designs, but nothing tangible so far

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Nothing so far

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - On track

2) Generate side income - Nothing so far

My contract ends in June, so I should be able to meet my main goals and have time to do the remodeling and take a vacation. If I choose to extend past June and go until the end of the year, then I'll have the cash to meet the financial stretch goals and beyond, but I won't have the time/attention for anything else. Money is good, but I'm close to burnout already and I might keel over from stress... :confused:

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Currently at 133k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Been creepily taking pictures of other people's front yards that I like, nothing else done yet

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Cruise scheduled for the end of April, used some of my Southwest points to pay for it :sun:

Stretch Goals

Head down, keep working...

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Done - currently at 126k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - Actively seeking estimates for the front yard. Kitchen may be delayed if my contract gets extended until the end of the year. 39k currently in Ally as emergency savings/renovation budget.

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Done - spent a week in the Caribbean! :3:

Stretch Goals

If I keep working the same contract through 2016, I'll put off the kitchen until January (since I work out of town and I want to be home for a remodel) and instead focus on beating my stretch goal for the mortgage, with some extra in the taxable investment account, if that's an acceptable toxx modification to y'all goons.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - Done

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Done - currently at 99k

4) Remodel kitchen & front yard (Budget ~30k for both in Ally savings) - If it's okay with goons, changing this to redoing the front and back yards. Back yard is almost complete at only ~700 dollars worth of work (materials, free labor from me), front yard is going to be 1.2k to take lawn/ivy out and then around 2k of materials with my free labor.

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Done

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - Done!! Five digit mortgage!

I'm off contract for work and probably not going back until sometime in November, so I'd prefer to not do the kitchen right now and sit on the cash (just in case), but instead use my free time to do the work on the yard myself since I wasn't going to be working anyway. As soon as I get a contract I'll re-evaluate kitchen plans. Also thinking about doing solar panels, probably next spring, which will be 15-20k.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

College Slice
2016 Goals

1) Max both IRAs - Done

2) Max 401k contribution - Done

3) Get mortgage under 130k (Currently 160k) - Done - currently at 97k

4) Remodel back yard & front yard - Back yard done at $700 materials and my free labor. Currently working on front yard, costs have been 1.1k for materials/landscape removal so far and my free labor. Hope to finish by end of year, weather permitting (but waiting until the spring for plants). :kingsley: I'm building a retaining wall! :kingsley:

5) Research local charities/causes and make a meaningful donation - Nothing so far - get on this!

6) Take a vacation that is a week or longer - Done

Stretch Goals

1) Get mortgage under 100k - Done!! Five digit mortgage!

I've been off work since August! So I'm doing all the manual labor in my ample free time. I should be working again come Jan, and if I'm working from home like I think I'll be doing, then I'll start looking into the kitchen as an early 2017 project so I'm still sitting on 30k in savings for that. Also mulling over putting in solar panels in 2017...

• Locked thread